Garmin S62 Thread

I've played four rounds on the s62 after upgrading from the s60. I think it's a really nice upgrade. The way s60 handles hazards disappointed me from the start since I preferred being able to click though those distances one previous models rather than navigating around with the touchscreen. I think the s62 has perfected this. The virtual caddy has given me pause. (in a good way) on a few of my club selections but I'm still deciding what I think of that. It didn't have any impact on my decision to upgrade but may end up being a nice feature for me.

The size is a little bigger but not enough to bother me, and I generally hate wearing watches (I only wear them on the golf course and on runs). The workout features are pretty nice, and the heart rate monitor is a good addition. As others have mentioned, the battery life is a major improvement, and that alone easily offsets any concerns or complaints I would have about the size. I'm very pleased with the watch and am glad I upgraded.

Although I have no financial interest in where anyone buys their gear, I'll mention that I'm very happy with the price and delivery time I got from Discount Dan's up in Oregon.

As a side note, I'm continually disappointed in the lack of improvements with the Garmin Connect website and app over the years. They've made some progress, but it just seems like they could offer so much more with the amount of data these devices are collecting. Even basic stuff can be annoying. The watch prompts me to enter any penalty strokes on every hole, but I've never found a place (on the watch, app, or website) to see my penalty strokes on the scorecard or as data for analysis?!? Why can't I at least see if my average number of penalty strokes is better or worse than a year ago? Small example that isn't very significant, but the analytics in general are underwhelming to me.

I’m pretty sure most know that overlayed wind data, club advise, aiming advise, and slope advise don’t conform. Of course, you could hire a caddy to do each and every one of those calculations and give you the same advise, and that would conform. But hey, let’s make the game slower right? How long did it take for gps and lasers to be deemed conforming?

but let’s be honest, most handicap manipulations are trying to raise it anyway (before say a club championship), not lower it. At least that’s what our club sends emails about 30 times a season.

• Like 1

So true about the Garmin Golf website and app with respect to the underwhelming performance data provided. I have my eyes on the new SkyCaddie LX5 to replace my S20 and may pull the trigger if the reviews are favorable. I don't have experience with the SkyGolf website/app, I wonder if the information they collect/provide is more robust than what Garmin does?

Coming over from an X40, it did have my distances from my clubs for the virtual caddie. One thing I am stunned by is the battery life. X40 had to be charged shortly after 18 holes.

I've played two 9s and an 18, and the last charge was on Wed. It's still at 64% right now.

Ease of reading and still figuring out navigation when in tournament mode, I wonder if moving the cursor on the screen is limited, and can only tap known distances, like to the 100/150/200 and hazards. Would like to see distance to doglegs, haven't figured how to get that to show, and who reads manuals, right? ;)

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

How many doesn't matter, as long as there are some that might learn something new, IMO it's worth the reminder. But it's likely a lot more than you think.

As far as the rest goes, not sure what the point was. I couldn't tell if you're trying to rationalize picking and choosing which rule to follow and which to ignore - or just venting a bit about a rule you don't like.

And as far as my memory goes (which I admit could be wrong - I only started to really pay attention to the rules 16-18 years ago), GPS was never really non-conforming or at worst it wasn't for very long. It just required a local rule to be put in place (made available in 2006). So basically the USGA (or R+A) was just leaving the decision up to the tournament directors to allow them or not. Size, cost, accuracy (and the availability of individual course data) were the main things that initially limited its mainstream use, not the rules of golf.

I wonder if moving the cursor on the screen is limited, and can only tap known distances, like to the 100/150/200 and hazards. Would like to see distance to doglegs, haven't figured how to get that to show, and who reads manuals, right? ;)

I had to screw around with this for a couple rounds to figure it out. So if you click the screen once you go into Hazard Mode. Use the up or down buttons to get a hazard or yardage marker thats nearest to the spot you want to measure, then click the map and it will zoom in to that area - and you can play with the targeting cursor. So if you are playing a dogleg right and want to use the distance tool to check out the corner distance, use the buttons to scroll to a hazard or marker that nearest the corner - then click the map.

• Like 1

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

• 2 weeks later...

Upgraded from my S20 and have some beef. With the S20 when I was starting a round, it would look for the satellite and then present me with a list of nearby courses. Worked great. The S62 tries to be "Smart", and automatically selects the course I am nearest to. It gives you the option to "skip" locating satellite to get the list of courses. Two problems:

1) Skipping locating satellite doesn't actually skip it. It gives me the list of courses sure, but if you wait on that screen too long it will still auto-select the nearest course. Like its still looking in the background even though you selected "skip", and its basically a beat-the-clock to get the course that you want before the satellite connects.

2) When I play at a local place with 3 nines (Blue/Green/Red), it always automatically selects "Blue" even if I am playing Red>Green. So I have to skip the satellite search, and quickly scroll to red before it automatically connects me to blue per #1. If Im too slow I have to abandon the round and start over.

Super annoying. I'm mainly wondering if anyone else notices this issue.. but if it's a result of my own user error (or a missed setting somewhere) feel free to let me know.

Titleist TSR2 9* Tensei Blue

Ping G410 2H

Ping G400 3H

Mizuno Pro 225 4i-GW

Mizuno T22 54S/58C Blue Ion LE

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 7

When you say "automatically select the course" do you mean it skips the step that you get when you skip locating satellite where you can choose which course or do you mean it automatically removes other courses from the list?

My S62 always shows a list of courses I can select both when I wait for it to find satellite connection and when I skip it, also on my course we have a 18 hole course and a 9 hole course and those are seperated in the list, same goes with a course located close to me that has 3 seperate 9 holes and rotates those to make one 18 hole and one 9 hole. So if the watch automatically selects the course without showing a list there must be a setting somewhere you need to change or something is wrong with it, It should work exactly like your S20 did (and it does for me since I also came from a S20)

Yes it skips that step. After locating satellite it goes from "Searching Courses" directly to "Loading Course"... then "Welcome to Xxxx course". Cannot find any setting to present the list that I get when I click skip.

Ping G410 2H

Ping G400 3H

Mizuno Pro 225 4i-GW

I do love the battery life of the s62.

I upgraded from a Fênix 3. I loved my Fênix, but the battery life was fading. I could barely play 18 holes and get a workout done in the same day.

With the S62, I can easily play 18 holes, do a workout with GPS tracking and have plenty of juice left to repeat for another day.

Also, I was getting sick of wearing the chest strap when I worked out. This wrist based HR monitor, though not as accurate, is close enough to give me a good idea.

All I all, I’ve been very happy with it. Probably the feature I use the most is the swing tempo widget. I love working with it while I am warming up on the range. It is a nice reminder to monitor my tempo.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5 w/Evenflow Riptide CB X-Stiff 
Cobra F8+ 14.5* Rouge Silver X-Stiff

Cobra F8+ 18* Rouge Silver X-Stiff
Srxion 4-6 ZX5 irons, ZX7 7-PW irons w/PX LZ 6.0
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50, 54, 58 x/PX LZ 6.0
Sik Flo or Sik DW or Edel or SGC Norwood 

Page #1 in the manual under "Playing Golf"...

Select Play Golf.

The device locates satellites, calculates your location, and selects a course if there is only one course nearby.

The issue it appears is it not knowing the proper combo you start on, of the course you are playing, right? It should ask Which combo you are playing, Blue/Green, Green/Red, Red/Blue. Do you turn it on when you're at the 1st tee? Or earlier?

If it's not working as expected, fill out the form here: https://www.garmin.com/en-US/forms/golfcourses/

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

See my post above. It's not a problem. It's supposed to do that.

More on the 27 hole courses... https://forums.garmin.com/outdoor-recreation/golf/f/approach-s60/227955/merge-2-nine-hole-scores

It appears you can only select 9 holes at a time on these non 18-hole courses. I think it's because some courses will change up the 9's one starts and follows on.

So, using Blue, Red, Green, Some weeks it may be Blue/Green, Green/Red, Red/Blue. Other weeks it may be Blue/Red, Red/Green, Green/Blue. So this kind of makes sense to not do "well, some do and some don't" They appear to have sided with the more logical answer: 2 9 hole rounds on different courses, you tell us.

One course I play on the last week of the month sends everyone off on 10 to start. When you put in the start hole as 10, it will carry over to 1 as you make the turn. Can't account for all variables.

--kC

Does anyone know what the mileage radius is? I always get asked if I'm at one of a few courses but I dont think they are that close.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

Bummer. Same thing from my house as well. I'm miles from the nearest course, and if I try to play from here it'll automatically pick the "closest" one that is nowhere near me.

That's annoying itself if I just wanted to look at a different course, but the real problem is what I said earlier with it auto-selecting a course I am not currently playing. I will submit a bug report. Just give us the list always!

Ping G410 2H

Ping G400 3H

Mizuno Pro 225 4i-GW

img-20200717-061717604-1-1.jpgMy S62 arrived yesterday, thank you Discount Dan's. Side by side (62 left) it doesn't look that much larger, but that little bit extra seems significant in a good way. The gorilla glass face makes it feel very high quality indeed. Functionality more sophisticated as well, I'm a bit of a gadget geek I guess. Love the S60, but this model seems next level. Did a test for a round and that seems fast and really good as well. Having the bunkers and other hazard distances is a huge upgrade. Battery life has been noted as a benefit also. Last night when I turned it in was 97% after about 3 hours of "playing" with the watch. 95% now, roughly 8 hours later. About to get my morning walk in so will be able to try performance. Interestingly, despite being larger and having a built-in heart monitor, I was surprised to see that the 62 weighs 54 grams and 60 weighs 58 according to my wife's digital food scale.

What I hadn't thought about is the face I use for my 60 isn't available (yet?) for the 62. Some of the 62 options aren't available for the 60. Makes sense now that I think about it. I installed a Garmin face for 62 for now. Another observation regarding the face. The black is more black (darker) on the 62. Not sure if the pictures capture it but the 60 may appear brighter. No real difference in brightness IMO, they are both set at 90%. The black appears more "true" on the 62. Now, to get it on the course for the most important comparison!

Cobra Aerojet 10.5 +1.5 Mitsubishi Kai'li S
Cobra LTDx 5w PX Hzrdus green 5.5

Cobra King Utility 20.5 Elements Chrome S 20.5

Mizuno 243 5-P DG S200
Corey Paul 52, 56, 60 
Mizuno OMOI 3 black 35"
Emeritus set:  Mizuno MP20 HMB 5, MMC 6-8, MP 9-P KBS C-taper Lite R 

Logged my first round with the S62 today. Pretty impressed so far. Distance seemed to line up within a yard or two of the GPS on the carts. I didn’t find choosing which club I hit too much of a distraction, but definitely will take getting used to and still unsure if I will continue using the feature.

As far as shot detection goes, it didn’t miss a single one all day and misread one practice swing (flop shot that I really needed to thump the bounce into the ground), but I was able to catch and cleared it.

Also impressive is the fact that it used 12% battery for the entire round.

PING G25

PING G25 4W

TaylorMade Burner 3H

PING i200 4 - U

Cleveland RTX 2.0 54°, 58°

Mizuno MCraft II

I am thinking about getting the S62 but I have a goofy question for users of Garmin watches. I play golf wearing a pair of Oakley polarized sunglasses. The other day when I looked at a friends Skycaddie SX500 I had to remove my glasses to be able to read the screen without it washing out. It defeats the purpose or at least dilutes it if you can't just glance at it to get a read. Can you see the screen on a S62 while wearing polarized sun glasses?

Thanks, Phred

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

• GwrxMod changed the title to Garmin S62 Thread