Garmin S62 Thread

On 2/19/2020 at 12:44 PM, Luke_ODSWENG said:

Hello everyone,
Luke here from Garmin's Outdoor SW Quality team. Wanted to let you know that the GPS issues @Aggielefty described have been completely resolved as of this morning. So if you have a S62 or are contemplating buying one, it's important to update it with Garmin Express as soon as possible to grab the 2.80 GPS update before your next round of golf.
Thanks for reading and let me know if you have any questions!
Luke
Garmin Outdoor SW Quality Team

‘I bought an S62 and updated to latest firmware and software. Tried to use it today (Oct 2, 2020) and the issue is NOT resolved. Powered it off 4 times, closed and opened the play golf program multiple times. Watch never updated my location on the course. Not one time. It acted exactly like it would if it couldn’t detect any satellites. My phone gps worked fine.

‘’I wanted to throw it into the water hazard. I wish I had because now I still have this reminder of how I wasted $500.

So I picked up the sensors for this, but have a counterbalanced putter with metal in the grip... anyone macgyver a solution to this? I’m thinking about cutting off the plastic screw and just taping it down.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know if Garmin plans to add these features to their high-end watches that do automatic club tracking?  I had the Shotscope V2 a few seasons ago, and while it lacked many features my garmin has, it was top notch in the post-round data and analysis.  It would alllow you to mark the pin location when you holed out and this resulted in amazing data (pictures attached for reference).  I feel like the technology is there, but the functionality isn't.  Anyone have any idea?  I thought the CT10 would address this need, but it appears not to.  

Shotscope1.jpeg

Shotscope2.jpeg

shotscope3.jpeg

• GwrxMod changed the title to Garmin S62 Thread
21 hours ago, nezander said:

I've been asking for this forever.  The tech is there, they just need to write the software that enables you to capture it.  Don't hold your breath though, golf is an afterthought for Garmin, they're too busy developing hardware and software for the 15th different mobile device for trail running.

Lol trail running.  It's so true.

On 10/20/2020 at 12:14 PM, Taylor310 said:

What's everyones thoughts on the CT10 bundle? I would assume these would be used for wedges for better tracking on short shots and chips etc?

I have the CT10's for every club in the bag.  They work ok, way too expensive for what they do, which is allow you to skip the step after each shot of telling your watch what club you just hit.  That's all they do.  

On 10/20/2020 at 1:14 PM, Taylor310 said:

What's everyones thoughts on the CT10 bundle? I would assume these would be used for wedges for better tracking on short shots and chips etc?

I have the 3 pack on putter and 2 wedges. Agree w/ the person above that, overall, it allows you to skip a step w/ the watch, but the better use is for the clubs you tend to not swing full on. Without the sensors, your watch is likely not going to pick up your pitch,chip and putt. I do find it useful. Is it perfect? No but it works for me and I'm happy.

23 hours ago, howaboutme said:

I have the 3 pack on putter and 2 wedges. Agree w/ the person above that, overall, it allows you to skip a step w/ the watch, but the better use is for the clubs you tend to not swing full on. Without the sensors, your watch is likely not going to pick up your pitch,chip and putt. I do find it useful. Is it perfect? No but it works for me and I'm happy.

Perfect, that was the use I was thinking of with them, and that I could probably get away with just 3.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Taylor310 said:

Perfect, that was the use I was thinking of with them, and that I could probably get away with just 3.

It's not a bad plan, but since Garmin doesn't have any real idea of where the flag is, it's usefulness for tracking putts is incredibly limited.  It could easily be resolved by including one extra tap of the watch, after you hole out, to verify where the pin actually is on the green, but there is no way to do that.  Since the system does not know where the flag is, the putting stats are inaccurate at best, and almost useless in practice for every putting stat other than number of putts per hole.  

Other systems incorporate that feature but although I continually ping Garmin about it, nothing so far.  

2 hours ago, nezander said:

It's not a bad plan, but since Garmin doesn't have any real idea of where the flag is, it's usefulness for tracking putts is incredibly limited.  It could easily be resolved by including one extra tap of the watch, after you hole out, to verify where the pin actually is on the green, but there is no way to do that.  Since the system does not know where the flag is, the putting stats are inaccurate at best, and almost useless in practice for every putting stat other than number of putts per hole.  

Other systems incorporate that feature but although I continually ping Garmin about it, nothing so far.  

In my opinion, a lot of us (me included) buy Garmin products for many other reasons including devices that are superior to their competitors. I agree that they likely have everything in place other than a software update. I expect options like that are coming as it is pretty normal for companies to roll out features gradually while laying the ground work early. In the meantime, the other stats are helpful.

13 hours ago, howaboutme said:

In my opinion, a lot of us (me included) buy Garmin products for many other reasons including devices that are superior to their competitors. I agree that they likely have everything in place other than a software update. I expect options like that are coming as it is pretty normal for companies to roll out features gradually while laying the ground work early. In the meantime, the other stats are helpful.

You're not wrong, and I shouldn't give the impression that I am not happy overall with the device.  It's much more multifunction than any other golf-centric smartwatch out there, the battery life is phenomenal, and I use it for a ton of things other than golf.  I just wish that it didn't have the glaring holes in golf functionality that it does, especially when they wouldn't be that hard to code for.  Allowing you to click a button where the flag is not a heavy lift.  Checking out the statistics gathered and displayed the way your two main competitors do it also doesn't seem impossible, the watch is already collecting the data.  It's nitpicking, I know.  But then again, with the watch and a full set of sensors, I have a considerable amount invested.

• Like 1

I've always thought - going back to the initial days of Game Golf - that GPS isnt accurate enough to track putts down to that level anyway so it should/would be really easy to implement just a manual data entry system where you guesstimate and enter.

GPS accuracy doesnt matter that much on a 250 yard shot, plus or minus 2 yards, who cares. But on a 10 foot putt plus or minus two yards means it could be measured anywhere from 16 feet to 4 feet. I bet you could guess closer than that.

Used this watch every day - including in the rain - at Bandon and after 36 holes it wasnt even past 50% on the battery.

Edited by dcmidnight

SIM Max 12* - Rogue Elite Green 65x
Callaway Apex 18* / 20*
P790 6i / P770 5i-GW // Steelfiber 95s
Vokey SM8 Raw 54* / 58* / 62*
Scotty Golo 5R 35" / ProV1X Left Dash

I really have a hard time seeing Garmin improving data collection accuracy like pin location, approach shots and putts.
I think it is still too hard to edit those things on the watch with accuracy and GPS still not accurate enough to provide any value to putt location, length of putt, etc.

They would have to invest in updating site, new maps, allow edit of those details on the website.
There likely is a sizeable cost to updating site, maps, green details, etc.
I'm not sure they want to be promoting editing online and all that "work" for a golfer.
As well what percentage of GPS golf watch users care about Strokes Gained and other details. I'd guess not a high number.

And in the end comes down to money.

Garmin Revenue is almost $3.2 billion.
Golf watches are about $90 million of that or 2.8% of their revenue and shrinking.
No revenue from website.

Little incentive to do much of anything.

Things will continue with very good watches but I doubt we will ever see data as detailed and accurate like Arccos or other small golf apps.

Last numbers I saw showed Arccos revenue at $5 million.

If true, I doubt Garmin would even glance at taking a bite of that niche market.

That being said, I will enjoy my Garmin watch as it is still great at what it does. GPS.
I hope I'm way off on everything else as I like that kind of data and I'd like it to come from Garmin.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, RusticGolfer said:

Anyone that has been wearing the s62 for a while? How big does this watch actually wear? I just ordered one- is it to big for everyday use? 

That's really going to depend more on what you consider too big for everyday use than the actual size.   I've been wearing the s60 (same size as the 62) for a few years now and I don't consider it too big.   But then, I used to wear a Suunto Vector all the time and the s60 is a down grade (as far as size goes).

1 hour ago, RusticGolfer said:

I think the s62 is a lot bigger than s60? 

The touch screen display is bigger but the casing diameter only increased by 1mm and depth by 0.3 mm.

https://www.comparebeforebuying.com/garmin-s60-vs-s62/

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

As someone that doesn't wear watches during my regular day, I own the S62 and love it and the size!  It is a non factor on the course.  to me the display is perfect and not hard to read or interact with at all and the overall size doesn't bother me.  I think you will definitely enjoy it!

Do you have to carry your phone with you if you want to use the virtual caddy and also benefit from detecting the wind speed? or do you just connect to your phone one time when setting up the device and afterwards you will no longer need your phone to be with you to use the virtual caddy?

If you have a 3 5 and 7 wood and multiple hybrids, will you be able to tell Garmin which wood or hybrid you are using or is there no way to distinguish between different woods or hybrids?

If you buy the sensors, is there a way to change description so you know that you connected the sensors to multiple woods or hybrids?

On 12/29/2020 at 6:38 AM, PingPoncho said:

Do you have to carry your phone with you if you want to use the virtual caddy and also benefit from detecting the wind speed? or do you just connect to your phone one time when setting up the device and afterwards you will no longer need your phone to be with you to use the virtual caddy?

If you have a 3 5 and 7 wood and multiple hybrids, will you be able to tell Garmin which wood or hybrid you are using or is there no way to distinguish between different woods or hybrids?

If you buy the sensors, is there a way to change description so you know that you connected the sensors to multiple woods or hybrids?

You need to have your phone near when you first start your round, I leave it in the cart after that, not in my pocket.  Watch hasn't failed to give me wind speed yet, nor has the virtual caddie given me any trouble.

The sensors can be labeled however you want, but the Garmin Golf app only has so many options.  For instance, it knows about Driver, 3w, and 5w.  It doesn't have the option for a 7w, but you can easily take one of the hybrid choices and rename it to 7w.  I think it has 3,4,5 and 6 for hybrids.  Then 3i through PW, GW, SW, LW, and Putter, if I recall correctly off the top of my head.  

It doesn't really matter though, you can name any of them whatever you want, and as you play and hit your clubs, it will learn your stats from there and the virtual caddie will start making recommendations of of your average yardages, taking into account where the GPS says you are and what the wind, etc.   If you have the CT10 sensors, all of this is automatic.  If you don't, it still works as well, but you have to remember to tell the watch what club you have in your hand, which I was terrible at remembering.  The watch will know you hit something, and it will almost always prompt you on screen to tell it which club you hit, but if you forget, move to your next shot, hit that one, etc. eventually the watch will just miss some shots.  The CT10's make the watch for me, although I realize the cost is ridiculous compared to other systems out there.

• 4 weeks later...

After having this for a handful of months now, I have to say, the battery life is probably the one of the most impressive traits. A decent sized smart watch that doesn't need to be charged but once a week (if you don't golf). Most watches of this size will only net you 2-3 days at most. 🙂

--kC

Callaway Mavrik 9* Fujikura Pro2.0 6.5 / Callaway Rogue 3W / Srixon ZX5 Irons (4-PW) / Vokey SM8 50*, 56*, Callaway, 64*, Balls by Snell.

• 2 months later...

Anyone know how much I can sell my S60 for?  I want to upgrade, but don't need two golf/gps watches.  

Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5 Stock Alta (need shaft fitting)
Fairway Wood: Ryoma F5
Hybrid: TaylorMade M6 4H & 6H
Irons: OnOff Kuro 2015 6 - PW
Wedge: Cleveland RTX4 50, 54 and 58
Putter: S.C. GoLo 3
Ball: TaylorMade TP5X
Club hoe, builder, fitter and tester as hobbyist since 1993

On 10/20/2020 at 8:24 AM, nezander said:

I've been asking for this forever.  The tech is there, they just need to write the software that enables you to capture it.  Don't hold your breath though, golf is an afterthought for Garmin, they're too busy developing hardware and software for the 15th different mobile device for trail running.

Garmin is big in marine and automotive and bought into aviation electronics, focus is GPS.  Can't imagine any golfer worth his game wanting GPS functionality for actual putting.  It's one thing to use GPS and Laser for iron shots and other aspects, but don't see its value putting.  My Fenix 5X has putting, but it's only designed to provide distances into the green, angles, etc., but not much when it comes to actual putting.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Titleist TS2, 9.5, Ventus 5 Series 's'
  • Titleist TS2, 4wd, Ventus 6 Series 's'
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 2i - Tensei AV White AM 's'
  • Titleist 620 Series 3-4i Tensei AV White AM 's'
  • Titleist 620 Series 5-PW - MMT 125 's'
  • SM6 F-52/8 - MMT 125 's'
  • SM6 M-58/8 - MMT 125 's'
  • SC CA Monterey
  • DASH-ProV1x & AVX

It would be a pain to write out but the idea for the feature would be to get pin placements for people that play a course regularly. The Golf App already will show you who else played the course that day; but if someone sets a pin location in an earlier round, it could theoretically update your pin location when it first loads up the course. I know there's another platform that does this. Could be super useful if it's done right. In the two rounds I've played so far I've moved the pin to where I thought it would be on the greens view and played the distances accordingly. Saved me a stroke or two. 

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* w/ Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons : Wilson D7 Forged 4-G w/ KBS Tour | Epic Flash 3h w/ Tensei Silver

Putter: Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 / TM HydroBlast Del Monte 1

5 hours ago, AcesAndHoles said:

It would be a pain to write out but the idea for the feature would be to get pin placements for people that play a course regularly. The Golf App already will show you who else played the course that day; but if someone sets a pin location in an earlier round, it could theoretically update your pin location when it first loads up the course. I know there's another platform that does this. Could be super useful if it's done right. In the two rounds I've played so far I've moved the pin to where I thought it would be on the greens view and played the distances accordingly. Saved me a stroke or two. 

That's what laser is for. Then Front/Middle/Back on gps. 😉

Callaway Mavrik 9* Fujikura Pro2.0 6.5 / Callaway Rogue 3W / Srixon ZX5 Irons (4-PW) / Vokey SM8 50*, 56*, Callaway, 64*, Balls by Snell.

14 hours ago, Imp said:

That's what laser is for. Then Front/Middle/Back on gps. 😉

No arguments here. But when you play the "Caddie" and take a look at the greens view the watch will actually suggest where you should be aiming. For those that are learning and rely on the caddie feature it's a gem. 

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* w/ Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons : Wilson D7 Forged 4-G w/ KBS Tour | Epic Flash 3h w/ Tensei Silver

Putter: Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 / TM HydroBlast Del Monte 1