Jump to content

Anyone using a 60+ degree wedge?


Recommended Posts

On 10/19/2020 at 6:38 PM, chipa said:

My home course is very hilly with elevated greens as well as adjacent drop offs. Plus the greens are small and hard and if you don't have the right trajectory or spin it will bounce right off. It's hard to hit the ball short and bounce it up because again most are elevated.

 

Taking this into account and my inability to make a decent flop shot by opening the face I've ordered an off brand 68 degree wedge to see if I can pick up 5-6 lost strokes(at least) a round to missing it where I shouldn't.

 

I wonder if anyone else out these is using 60+ degree wedges?

No. The highest I've found useful in the summer on baked greens is a 62, and even then, I rarely put it in the bag. I prefer a great high premium urethane ball and finding a 58-60 with the correct grind, which would be 10-12 bounce, heel and toe and trailing edge relief for me, allowing me to get very creative.

 

I work on technique, and for me, that make me a better all around player. I use Phil technique, James Sieckmann technique, some Stan Utley - it all depends on the shot. I use Phil on really short chips where I need lots of spin. I find it fun.

Edited by SwingMan
  • Like 1

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Observer of Peeps


Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Red 17 ● TEE EXS 220 3, 5 wd/GD AD F 55 and 65, TEE EXS 220 4HY/GD AD HY 65 ● Mizuno MP-20 HMB 5-PW Accra ICWT95 ● Mizuno MP T20 48, 53, 58 Nippon Pro Modus 3 Wedge 115 ● Swag Savage Too

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I still carry Callaway original PM Grind 64* for those shots and short side bunkers.  I can’t live without my 64* wedge! You can close it little bit to get more spins. I never need to play it open , j

Carry a 64 degree Callaway PM grind. Use 56 for most shots but 64 is nice when you need it. 

Highest i go is 56. I have a hard time swinging hard enough with a high lofted wedge.  Good luck!

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, SwingMan said:

No. The highest I've found useful in the summer on baked greens is a 62, and even then, I rarely put it in the bag. I prefer a great high premium urethane ball and finding a 58-60 with the correct grind, which would be 10-12 bounce, heel and toe and trailing edge relief for me, allowing me to get very creative.

 

I work on technique, and for me, that make me a better all around player. I use Phil technique, James Sieckmann technique, some Stan Utley - it all depends on the shot. I use Phil on really short chips where I need lots of spin. I find it fun.

 

It turns out the wedge I ordered was a lot bigger than it looked. I'm a high h.c. but I just can't use large irons. It looks like I'm going to have to go with a 60 degree with 5 deg. of bounce to fit my budget. My technique with a shorter swing is poor to say the least but I'm trying to come up with a handsy half swing to get the clubface open sufficiently. I certainly can't do anything like Phil or Tiger but then again I am just trying to pick up at least 6-8 strokes I am losing every round when I miss it way below the green and either leave my recovery short or bounce it over the green because of the too low trajectory. I feel like if I can do this adequately(and improve in the bunker) I can get down to single digits.

 

Macgregor M-38 9.5 88g* - Mondeo 5w 110g - Heater BMT-3 4i 96g  - Acer XV Tour 6i-9i, G, S, 95g  - Maltby LW - Bionik 105. * Installed shaft weight, all shafts steel except driver.

Link to post
Share on other sites

60* max for me.  Got a 64* Acer XB from Hireko for the wife that she consistently hits little flop shots with.  It's pretty compact with a really rounded edge that gets through rough well.  Dirt cheap experiment that worked out well.

 

Edit:  BTW, a 60* wedge turned open by 30* effectively gives you a 78* wedge!  Sole shape will determine how much the leading edge up raises.  

 

Edited by joostin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

D Adams XTD, 70M4X 3W TEE CBX, HZBk75S 5W Titleist 915F, D+80X

3I Srixon Z 545 4I Mizuno MP-H4 6I-PW Mizuno MP-54, C Taper Lite X

GW Nike VPC, DGP S300 54 60 Cleveland CBX, DG S300 Cure CX3

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been a longtime 60* wedge user for most all of my close chips.  I recently redid my wedges from 50-56-60 to 50-54-58.  I've yet to find anything that needs more than the 58*.  I own a 64* wedge that I mess around with from time to time, but unless they increase the club limit from 14, it will never justify a spot in the bag.

  • Like 1

Cobra F9 (9)

Cobra F8+ (14.5, 19)

Cobra Forged Tour (4-PW)

Cobra King Black (50, 54, 58)

PING Heppler Fetch

Snell MTB Black

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/19/2020 at 7:38 PM, chipa said:

My home course is very hilly with elevated greens as well as adjacent drop offs. Plus the greens are small and hard and if you don't have the right trajectory or spin it will bounce right off. It's hard to hit the ball short and bounce it up because again most are elevated.

 

Taking this into account and my inability to make a decent flop shot by opening the face I've ordered an off brand 68 degree wedge to see if I can pick up 5-6 lost strokes(at least) a round to missing it where I shouldn't.

 

I wonder if anyone else out these is using 60+ degree wedges?

Ive been working on implementing the techniques from your short game solution by sieckmann... I’m hitting my 58 wedge higher than I ever have, just because of the technique... I basically default to an open face as I swing through (and also generate a ton of spin)... it works wonders around the green. Highly recommend checking it out if you are having issues chipping.

  • Like 1

As of 6/5/20

9.5 Cobra LTD Pro with Aldila Silver 110

13 Degree Adams Speedline with Aldila Alpha 

18 Degree Adams A12 with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5 iron Sub70 639 CB with S400

6-PW Adams CMB with Project X 6.0

50, 54, 60 Vokeys

Tank Counter Balance #7 

Link to post
Share on other sites

When you get good with these type of wedges their is no doubt its helpful.. i had greenside thick rough with maybe 4 yards of green before flag yesterday... took 60... back of stance shaft leaning forwar... few practice swings... popped it right out without the grass making the club get stuck like a standard chip... 6 feet for a putt.. not bad considering could have been a mis chip or skull.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I play between a +1 to 1 handicap on a given year out in Northern California coast. I put the 64 wedge in the bag when I'm playing hard & fast greens (Olympic Club's Lakeside or hilly-elevated greens that usually roll 12+). It doesn't always shave strokes off, especially if you're not used to how far a chip/pitch shot will go... but I use it to increase my "get out of jail" chance if I'm in a really bad situation.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/19/2020 at 4:38 PM, chipa said:

 

 

I wonder if anyone else out these is using 60+ degree wedges?

 

I never liked a 58* or  60* but very much enjoy having a 64* within the bag. The difference it is that it is obvious when a 64* is the correct club choice, whereas the 58* or 60* was tempting to swing for too many shots.

  • Like 1

Cleveland TL310 driver

Srixon F65 3-wood

Srixon H65 3, 4 hybrids

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, chipa said:

 

It turns out the wedge I ordered was a lot bigger than it looked. I'm a high h.c. but I just can't use large irons. It looks like I'm going to have to go with a 60 degree with 5 deg. of bounce to fit my budget. My technique with a shorter swing is poor to say the least but I'm trying to come up with a handsy half swing to get the clubface open sufficiently. I certainly can't do anything like Phil or Tiger but then again I am just trying to pick up at least 6-8 strokes I am losing every round when I miss it way below the green and either leave my recovery short or bounce it over the green because of the too low trajectory. I feel like if I can do this adequately(and improve in the bunker) I can get down to single digits.

Bounce is your friend. Even Tiger and Jason Day said most of us should use 10-12 bounce in their higher lofted wedges.

  • Like 1

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Observer of Peeps


Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Red 17 ● TEE EXS 220 3, 5 wd/GD AD F 55 and 65, TEE EXS 220 4HY/GD AD HY 65 ● Mizuno MP-20 HMB 5-PW Accra ICWT95 ● Mizuno MP T20 48, 53, 58 Nippon Pro Modus 3 Wedge 115 ● Swag Savage Too

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, chipa said:

 

It turns out the wedge I ordered was a lot bigger than it looked. I'm a high h.c. but I just can't use large irons. It looks like I'm going to have to go with a 60 degree with 5 deg. of bounce to fit my budget. My technique with a shorter swing is poor to say the least but I'm trying to come up with a handsy half swing to get the clubface open sufficiently. I certainly can't do anything like Phil or Tiger but then again I am just trying to pick up at least 6-8 strokes I am losing every round when I miss it way below the green and either leave my recovery short or bounce it over the green because of the too low trajectory. I feel like if I can do this adequately(and improve in the bunker) I can get down to single digits.


I don’t mean to be cruel, but the idea of picking up 6-8 strokes is difficult. I think playing to the green’s middle and managing you miss might help more. It has for me. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mookieb10 said:


I don’t mean to be cruel, but the idea of picking up 6-8 strokes is difficult. I think playing to the green’s middle and managing you miss might help more. It has for me. 

 

My course is hilly and has drop offs next to almost all of the greens to the left where I miss it. In one recent round I lost that many strokes easy, with a triple, quadruple and a couple of double bogey's. 

 

Macgregor M-38 9.5 88g* - Mondeo 5w 110g - Heater BMT-3 4i 96g  - Acer XV Tour 6i-9i, G, S, 95g  - Maltby LW - Bionik 105. * Installed shaft weight, all shafts steel except driver.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Like you @chipa I have small raised greens with steep run offs and DEEP traps

 

Have about 8 of the 62 and 64 wedges in the man cave

 

Best spin 64.07 Vokey sm2 .. I think I have 4 or 5 of these

 

I Have a 64 Ping Tour W in the bag right now

 

I also have a SM5 62T grind and a SM4 62 and a SM2 62

 

I also have a PM 2019 64 which is very versatile but does not give me near the spin of my Voke’s and PING

  • Like 1


Ping G400 Max 10.5* Fubuki K 60x

Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard 73x Ping G400 7w 19.5* Diamana B 80s

Callaway Apex 4h 23* Fubuki 82x Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 90s

Mizuno 919T 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype 95 f4
Vokey SM2 50*, SM2 TVD 56*M & 59*M, 64* Recoil Proto 95 f4

Piretti Matera Elite
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

A 64 opened up and full speed recovery is a thing of beauty 

Like a parachuting butterfly landing on a pillow

 

 

20 hours ago, joostin said:

60* max for me.  Got a 64* Acer XB from Hireko for the wife that she consistently hits little flop shots with.  It's pretty compact with a really rounded edge that gets through rough well.  Dirt cheap experiment that worked out well.

 

Edit:  BTW, a 60* wedge turned open by 30* effectively gives you a 78* wedge!  Sole shape will determine how much the leading edge up raises.  

 

 

 

  • Like 2


Ping G400 Max 10.5* Fubuki K 60x

Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard 73x Ping G400 7w 19.5* Diamana B 80s

Callaway Apex 4h 23* Fubuki 82x Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 90s

Mizuno 919T 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype 95 f4
Vokey SM2 50*, SM2 TVD 56*M & 59*M, 64* Recoil Proto 95 f4

Piretti Matera Elite
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, cardoustie said:

Like you @chipa I have small raised greens with steep run offs and DEEP traps

 

Have about 8 of the 62 and 64 wedges in the man cave

 

Best spin 64.07 Vokey sm2 .. I think I have 4 or 5 of these

 

I Have a 64 Ping Tour W in the bag right now

 

I also have a SM5 62T grind and a SM4 62 and a SM2 62

 

I also have a PM 2019 64 which is very versatile but does not give me near the spin of my Voke’s and PING

 

The 64 degree I ordered was way to big for my liking so it's off to the caddies at my local club(it was only $10 I generally only play components). I keep forgetting that I can't play well with large clubheads and my other irons are very small, in fact they appear to be the size of blades from the 70's.

 

I ended up getting a Maltby Tricept 60 degree wedge for $15 on ebay which is probably at least 5 years old but the grooves still look good. It only has 6 degrees of bounce. I would have preferred a 64 degree but I'm on a budget.

 

 

 

Macgregor M-38 9.5 88g* - Mondeo 5w 110g - Heater BMT-3 4i 96g  - Acer XV Tour 6i-9i, G, S, 95g  - Maltby LW - Bionik 105. * Installed shaft weight, all shafts steel except driver.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SwingMan said:

Bounce is your friend. Even Tiger and Jason Day said most of us should use 10-12 bounce in their higher lofted wedges.

 

That's interesting because I see that TW has played wedges with very little bounce. I am wondering if that is just general advice for the weekend hacker like Ben Hogan's advice to keep the right arm close to the body in the backswing when he himself didn't do it. 

 

In my own experience at my home course I need something less because of the numerous tight lies and hardpan that surround many of the elevated greens at the bottom of a hill some 10-30' below the hole. I think it's worth a try due my penchant for scalding flop shots with my 56 and 12 degrees of bounce.

 

Macgregor M-38 9.5 88g* - Mondeo 5w 110g - Heater BMT-3 4i 96g  - Acer XV Tour 6i-9i, G, S, 95g  - Maltby LW - Bionik 105. * Installed shaft weight, all shafts steel except driver.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Have had a Pinemeadow "The last wedge" 68 degree for the past few years. Think it cost me $10.00 out of a used barrel at Play It Again Sports. It has next to no bounce, and has become a very valuable tool for me. Many of the greens at my home course are lined w/old pine trees. Get behind one of those, and most likely you have to punch out, which made holding the greens difficult. W/this 68, just open up my stance, and fire away over the pine trees. Couldn't tell you how many shots that thing has helped me on that specific course.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to play at a course with very firm, no maintenance bunkers and elevated greens that were very firm.  I had to adopt a 64 degree wedge to survive.  I later expanded it's use further from the green.  It put a lot of spin on the ball and with continuous use produced really nice shots. Can't just pull it out once a round you need to use it a lot.

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I just picked up a pair of Nike SV wedges, 55 and 60. I haven't gotten to hit either much, but I just decided to up my wedge game, so I got these to try.  I am playing a round tomorrow and will spend a little time chipping on the practice green to see if the 60 will be my new go to around the green wedge, or if the 55 is enough loft.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, chipa said:

 

That's interesting because I see that TW has played wedges with very little bounce. I am wondering if that is just general advice for the weekend hacker like Ben Hogan's advice to keep the right arm close to the body in the backswing when he himself didn't do it. 

 

In my own experience at my home course I need something less because of the numerous tight lies and hardpan that surround many of the elevated greens at the bottom of a hill some 10-30' below the hole. I think it's worth a try due my penchant for scalding flop shots with my 56 and 12 degrees of bounce.

Yes, it's tough out there. A lot depends on setup. 

 

I play tight lies, patchy and hard ground, but  high bounce is used frequently by better players. In fact, Edel's Wedges are mostly high bounce with lots of relief. I have a 60-6 and a 58-12 in MP-T20. I've played SM7 in 60/12. Titleist Vokey Reps from SoCal were playing the same wedge. 

 

I play in N Texas, known for tight lies and hard ground, and also those patchy lies. I prefer the 58-12 as it allows me to get away with a few things. Heck Phil M also uses a higher bounce wedge as do other pros.

 

I've used low bounce wedges but the leading edge can dig if I'm not careful. I prefer higher bounce.  Depends on grind, as I previously stateed - heel, toe and trailing edge relief reduce the effective bounce of the club. I hit chips, flops, etc off tight lies with higher bounce grinds. The 60-06 can be a bit dicey. I open it slightly and sometime lean the shaft back to engage its bounce or have the clubhead pass my hands on certain shots, play it more towards front of my stance. I bought the 60-06 to use on courses like Bandon. The 58-12 is not great on loose soil unless you place it far back in the stance. 

 

I just play with both of them in the practice area and get creative with using them with different techniques.

Edited by SwingMan
  • Like 1

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Observer of Peeps


Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Red 17 ● TEE EXS 220 3, 5 wd/GD AD F 55 and 65, TEE EXS 220 4HY/GD AD HY 65 ● Mizuno MP-20 HMB 5-PW Accra ICWT95 ● Mizuno MP T20 48, 53, 58 Nippon Pro Modus 3 Wedge 115 ● Swag Savage Too

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, chipa said:

 

My course is hilly and has drop offs next to almost all of the greens to the left where I miss it. In one recent round I lost that many strokes easy, with a triple, quadruple and a couple of double bogey's. 


I understand. I have a Cleveland Rtx 4. I don’t know if they have them up anymore but the 64* low bounce is a great club. I break

it out during dry spells, so it’s either: 

46*, 50, 54, 60 or

46, 52, 58, 64

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The best use for a 60 degree wedge? . Holding marshmallows over an open fire. The face keeps the bottoms from being burnt. 

  • Like 1

Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 set to 9.5
3 Wood Epic Flash set to 16 degrees
3-5 Hybrids Epic Flash 18 20 23 degrees
6 hybrid Big Bertha 26 degree 
7-AW Callaway Mavrik Irons 
50 degree GW Vokey SM7
56 degree SW Vokey SM7
Odyssey White Hot V-Line Fang

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...