2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Anyone using a 60+ degree wedge?

chipa

On 10/24/2020 at 8:47 AM, chipa said:

The 64 degree I ordered was way to big for my liking so it's off to the caddies at my local club(it was only $10 I generally only play components). I keep forgetting that I can't play well with large clubheads and my other irons are very small, in fact they appear to be the size of blades from the 70's.

I ended up getting a Maltby Tricept 60 degree wedge for $15 on ebay which is probably at least 5 years old but the grooves still look good. It only has 6 degrees of bounce. I would have preferred a 64 degree but I'm on a budget.

Try and have it bent...  you'll pick up extra bounce also.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gsea said:

You are looking for a band-aid. You play small headed irons you said, learn to move them.  Hitting a fade is better and more fun than having a burger flipper in your bag. Just my 2cents

I do play (very) small blades and the 68 I ordered was way too big so given my budget I ordered a used Maltby 60 for $15 on ebay. Given my stature 5'6" and my swing it's questionable that I can hit a fade consistently but I can try to hit down more with  the clubface a little more open. In spite of the advice of some on the forum I went with low bounce so the toe doesn't stick up so much when I do open the face. I don't have anywhere to bend it plus I can only get to the range once a week so I think its a good compromise or bandaid. 😉

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

On 10/24/2020 at 8:28 AM, cardoustie said:

Like you @chipa I have small raised greens with steep run offs and DEEP traps

Have about 8 of the 62 and 64 wedges in the man cave

Best spin 64.07 Vokey sm2 .. I think I have 4 or 5 of these

I Have a 64 Ping Tour W in the bag right now

I also have a SM5 62T grind and a SM4 62 and a SM2 62

I also have a PM 2019 64 which is very versatile but does not give me near the spin of my Voke’s and PING

The lack of spin vs. others is why I love the PM Grind 64*  I bought a Mizuno T-20 62* with the intention to bend it to 64.  PM has not allowed it in the bag, as I stare at it still in the wrapper.  

• Like 2

Titleist TSr4 10.0*  Mitsubishi WB 63 tx  
TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5* Kai'li white- tx
Srixon ZX5 (4-6) ZX7 (7-pw) KBS tour 130-x
Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway Full Toe 54*, 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
Toulon First Run Las Vegas DB

Pro V1

So far I really like my Nike SV 60. I need to spend some practice time with it, but I really liked it from 15' or less off the green. 

• Like 1

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

On 10/19/2020 at 6:38 PM, chipa said:

My home course is very hilly with elevated greens as well as adjacent drop offs. Plus the greens are small and hard and if you don't have the right trajectory or spin it will bounce right off. It's hard to hit the ball short and bounce it up because again most are elevated.

Taking this into account and my inability to make a decent flop shot by opening the face I've ordered an off brand 68 degree wedge to see if I can pick up 5-6 lost strokes(at least) a round to missing it where I shouldn't.

I wonder if anyone else out these is using 60+ degree wedges?

I used to play a similar course and used a 60* wedge  On normal courses I stop at 56* SW.

• Like 1

On 10/29/2020 at 10:05 AM, judgemartin said:

I used to play a similar course and used a 60* wedge  On normal courses I stop at 56* SW.

Probably as most golfers have, I have played many many courses, many private courses, and a u.s. open senior course , and I have never felt I needed more than my 58-degree lob wedge. In my opinion a golfer is asking for trouble by asking for too much loft. Unless you are a seasoned professional, I think more loft than 60 degrees is detrimental to most golfers game.

• Like 1

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

I changed clubs this year (courses) and with it came a similar elevated green style. (Now that I think about it, about half the greens are elevated above the surroundings, and far worse, some have a miss of a few yards that has you above the green and the green falls away.

Anyway I ordered a 64° wedge (Hireko Acer component) as a stopgap and it made life much easier on the 7/10 swings I made good enough contact on. As the season went by I practeced more with 60° until the 60 replaced the 64 and now I just use the 60. But if the course is baked or running very firm and fast, I know I need only reach into the closet for a little extra height and stop. 

• Thanks 1

End of the day its your money. Try what works for you. i run 52/58 rtx4 sometimes ill drop a 5w for a rtx3 64( more forgiving than rtx4) but that is to say if you cannot do flop shots you might have issues with striking with a 64. Have to ask if you haven't been, front foot cut shot ? that on a 58-60 should be doing the job. Steep swing and you take hardly any divot use low bounce then again to be more forgiving adding bounce open face. if you're looking for a HT in 60+ just bought the wilson ht in a 60 seems to be less chunky compared too the other HT but might just be me, haven't used it much took it on a round and ending up using the 58, not use too the heavy weight of head.

• Like 1

Love both my 60 & 64.   So much flexibility and accuracy.  For my back up/travel  set, I just open the 60 which s a great wedge. But, the Miura K Grinds just perform so well from almost any turf situation. 

• Like 1
Spoiler

Paradym Ai Smoke MAX 10.5  Velocore Red 6S 45" D3

Rogue ST MAX 5W,7W Velocore  Red 7S 

Srixon MKII ZX4-4, ZX5-5&6, ZX7 7-PW

MODUS 120 S +3/4, D3-D5

SM8 Raw 52 F-12, 56 V,  & 60 V

Scotty Circle T Red Dot 350g Newport 2 (A006794), Pro V1x, Miura Alt bag: 4-PW CB57’s & K Grinds 52,56,60,64 or Fun Bag MP-33 5-PW 

A course I play often elevated all of the greens for drainage a few years ago, and I was struggling to get my 56 to stick, so I replaced my driving iron with an old 64 degree Cleveland wedge and have loved it so far. I haven't used it for anything outside of 50 yards and I generally never hit full shots with anything over a PW, so I don't struggle to hit it much.

It's a very strange feeling. My other wedges feel like a "throw", whereas the 64 feels like a soft toss. I'm constantly surprised at how quickly it stops rolling. I like it so much I just ordered a 64 degree Cobra to match my irons/wedges. We'll see if it can beat the Cleveland's performance.

Edited by Mych
  • Like 1

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got out and tried my Maltby 60 deg. LW. It does fly high w/o even doing a flop shot.  It is small just like my blades which I like a lot. It only has 6 deg. of bounce as well which I understand is ideal for bunkers with heavy sand, just like my home course, so I'm going to leave the SW in the bag and play with the LW as much as possible for everything around the green and 60-80 yards in. I will use my 50 deg. gap wedge for low chip shots and everything from 80-120 in. I appreciate everyone's input.

• Thanks 1

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

On 10/30/2020 at 3:02 PM, James the Hogan Fan said:

Anyway I ordered a 64° wedge (Hireko Acer component)

I have that same wedge. It's in the garage where it belongs. Don't get me wrong, it's fun to play with, it's just way to inconsistent to bring to the course right now.

Driver: Adams 9088

Fairways: TM V-Steel

Hybrids: Nickent 3DX

Irons: Maltby TE Forged

Wedges: Acer XB Satin

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #1