2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Poll: What is your average total driving distance (male) by age?

easyyy

What is your average total driving distance (male) by age?  

834 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There's no way to get this right. When I go on vacation from Washington to Arizona my average drive is up 25 yards or more.

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZX5 MkII 4-5 / ZX7 MkII 6-P  Modus 120X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Vokey SM9 54S/60M Modus 125 Wedge
Nike Neo

ZStar

My current course and where I have played 90% of my rounds for the last year is very driver unfriendly.  Even from the paltry 6680 tips because of doglegs and penalty areas I can only hit driver 7 times and usually only hit it 4 or 5 times.

I had to go to google maps for one hole that on a good strike there is a landmark I could find.  Hole 4 on one of our 9's has a bunker that from the back tee box is roughly 283 to carry.  The second hole on another 9 has a small drainage hole, that is roughly 290 from the tee, I end up by it or even with it when I leave a drive out to the right quite often.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - GW Cobra King Tour - Axiom 105X
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

Was surprised that I was longer as the average for my age group / hcp range. I realize that I'm not short, short but I don't think I'm a long hitter at all. 47, 4hcp, Arccoss tells me I'm 267 average with the driver. Quite a bit (14 yds) up since I purchased the PXG proto, lofted it down to 7.5. 

I always think it is quite funny to see the 300+avg drivers that can't get a single hcp. You have to pretty bad at this game to achieve that.

I'm 36... usually i can bust it around 300 no problem, but it's more of like a carry 280/285 kinda situation. Like others have said, I'm hitting it further now than when I was in my twenties thanks to better tech and more optimal launch conditions for my swing. I voted for tier just below 300 because I've played with many legit long-bombers in my day and if I think about it honestly... they have a gear that I simply don't have. (SS 108-112)

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9 deg  / Fujikura Ventus Black Velocore 6x

Callaway Rogue ST LS 3 wood (15 deg) / Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Blue 7x

PING G425 Hybrid 19.5 deg / Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 8s (tipped 1/2)

Mizuno JPX 900 Tours 4-PW / KBS C-Taper 120 Stiff

Titleist SM5 50,54,60 / KBS 610 Stiff

Taylor Made Spider X Chalk  

IG: @martinmejia14 

9 hours ago, fwilliam said:

Age 66 good health. Avg drive 250-255 with Driver SS 94-97 MPH I play with a number of younger bombers thus lately I tried a number of drills to increase my swing speed now my left hip is hurting-darn!

We all get sore trying to keep up with the young 'uns. Hope you get better and back to bombing it. 🍻

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

I think this poll says a lot about us

90% are men between the ages of 30-60, and we all bomb it

We avg 270 in our 30s, 260 in our 40s, 250 in our 50s, and looks like we hang on to 250 well into our 60s. 

If we are in our 20s we happen to be particularly prodigious and hit it 290

If we are in our 70s we've lost some mobility and dropped down to 230

That says as much about ball contact as it does swing speed, and showcases the quality of player attracted to this site

And also says we have quite a few guys that really rip it, just as many, if not more, than guys who dink it around

I know there's jokes about WRXers exaggerating distance numbers but honestly if you are in your 30s and you aren't at least chasing 300 through speed and swing/club optimization, do you even play golf?

This isn't a site for casual golfers who are happy with a 250 yard drive. Even in our 60s that is just (literally) average. 

That also probably means we've been playing since at least our 20s, developed the speed at a younger age, and was able to keep the swing in shape

The only reason to keep the swing in shape is because you are enjoying the game, and that means you are staying in the fairway, and if you've been playing for 40 years with a good swing speed, you are probably scoring as well

Oh, and knowing absolutely everything about the swing, shaft/head combos, loft/lie specs, and cg locations helps too

I am 35, mid-single digit, my true avg is probably 265, due to contact, but I hit a lot 290+, and a probably a few too many 250-. I didn't pick up a club until my 20s, and learned to score with wedges before I cared about the swing. Now I'm trying to really make a push to get to scratch, because I have so much in the tank speed wise, but I need to get these face/path numbers more consistent so I can really go after it AND achieve optimal launch conditions. No reason why my real bops shouldn't be pushing 320 if I am swinging 115+, and with my wedge play I will be set for life. 

This honestly makes me more motivated to continue my path, fine tuning my swing, so I can bomb it for the next 30 years like all of y'all

Sorry I am an analytics director and couldn't pass up the opportunity to extrapolate data from charts...

• Like 3

G400 LST 8.5* Ventus Blue 6x 🐐 
OG M2 16.5* Speeder 757s

OG Apex 18* KK 80s
223 4-G KBS Tour 120s
RTX ZC 56.12 / 60.09 ff DG Spinner

FTP SM1 0* loft / 400g / SS GT 1.0 

Driver distance is only important to the companies continually trying to make us purchase the latest gear. Whilst we would all like to improve too much emphasis is placed on the initial stroke distance, improving the rest of the game would have a much greater impact on the final result.

• Like 2

Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

sometimes you feel like you can compete on the Golf Long Drive and other days, you do not want to tell people you hit a driver off the tee because it came up so short. What a strange game we play. 

Edited by llewol007
  • Like 1

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

I think most people are saying what their driver distance is when they more or less hit it as they should and probably are omitting the pure duffs.

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

On 10/26/2020 at 12:04 PM, llewol007 said:

sometime you feel like you can compete on the Golf Long Drive and other days, you dont want to tell people you hit a driver of the tee because it came up so short. What a strange game we play. 

and yet here we are day after day. gotta love it. 

• Like 1

Callaway Mavrik Driver

Titleist TS2 4w

Titleist TS2 7w

Mizuno MP20 MB 4-W

Vokey SM8 50*

Vokey SM8 55*

Taylormade HiToe 60*

Scotty Cameron Phantom X5 

On 10/26/2020 at 5:37 AM, erock9174 said:

I’d like to see the guys in the 40-70 yr old bracket to get a shot tracking device. I’m 44 and playing as a single mostly get grouped up with guys in this age bracket regularly. According to my Shot Scope I average 227 with a performance average of 243. Even being a short knocker, I’m longer than probably 90% of the guys I get grouped with.  260-300 like many of you are reporting. Hogwash. 

I’m 69 and posted a copy of a screenshot from my tracking program. Did you see it?

FWIW - most of the older guys I play with are not as long, however there are several guys my age who hit it past me. 

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

On 10/21/2020 at 10:46 AM, MtlJeff said:

Yeah carry + Rollout is a tough one on us folks haha

I play in the northeast and play at 7AM on soaked courses. I haven't had more than 10yds of rollout since aught'6

I picked 260-280 and i can carry it 260 fairly easy

Play half your rounds in the afternoon. That would make for a completely different game between mornings and afternoons.

Before injury 225-230 Carry, 245-350 total.

Since right rotator cuff tear in June- 215-220 carry. 230 total.

Iron game has suffered more......

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

On 10/24/2020 at 9:42 AM, DaRiz said:

I think this poll says a lot about us

90% are men between the ages of 30-60, and we all bomb it

We avg 270 in our 30s, 260 in our 40s, 250 in our 50s, and looks like we hang on to 250 well into our 60s. 

If we are in our 20s we happen to be particularly prodigious and hit it 290

If we are in our 70s we've lost some mobility and dropped down to 230

That says as much about ball contact as it does swing speed, and showcases the quality of player attracted to this site

And also says we have quite a few guys that really rip it, just as many, if not more, than guys who dink it around

I know there's jokes about WRXers exaggerating distance numbers but honestly if you are in your 30s and you aren't at least chasing 300 through speed and swing/club optimization, do you even play golf?

This isn't a site for casual golfers who are happy with a 250 yard drive. Even in our 60s that is just (literally) average. 

That also probably means we've been playing since at least our 20s, developed the speed at a younger age, and was able to keep the swing in shape

The only reason to keep the swing in shape is because you are enjoying the game, and that means you are staying in the fairway, and if you've been playing for 40 years with a good swing speed, you are probably scoring as well

Oh, and knowing absolutely everything about the swing, shaft/head combos, loft/lie specs, and cg locations helps too

I am 35, mid-single digit, my true avg is probably 265, due to contact, but I hit a lot 290+, and a probably a few too many 250-. I didn't pick up a club until my 20s, and learned to score with wedges before I cared about the swing. Now I'm trying to really make a push to get to scratch, because I have so much in the tank speed wise, but I need to get these face/path numbers more consistent so I can really go after it AND achieve optimal launch conditions. No reason why my real bops shouldn't be pushing 320 if I am swinging 115+, and with my wedge play I will be set for life. 

This honestly makes me more motivated to continue my path, fine tuning my swing, so I can bomb it for the next 30 years like all of y'all

Sorry I am an analytics director and couldn't pass up the opportunity to extrapolate data from charts...

The desire to exaggerate a tad or to put down your highest average prevails in most or all of us. It’s part of our nature.

If you subtract 10 yards from everything, that might be more accurate for the average player here. Not as bad as many seem to think WRXers would embellish. There’s really no need to lie to internet folks, and I don’t see that.

Distance is quite important, but scoring is yet another and different skill one needs to possess to play really well. Some of us might never have both?

If you get to 330 yards and have really great wedge play, your chances are good, but far from guaranteed.

Best of luck getting to your goals, but don’t set unrealistic expectations that could adversely affect your enjoyment of this game. Cheers!

• Like 1

On 10/21/2020 at 1:20 PM, RoyalMustang said:

Average drive distance is about 310. If I want it to be in the fairway, 285-290 with a fairway swing!  43 y/o (age hasn't caught up with me yet)

It caught up to me at 49.  At 49 I noticed a distance drop for the first time.  I'm 51 now and still would be considered long but not compared to where I was 2 year ago.

• Like 1

Given that

1. I am 63; and 

2. This is GolfWRX,

I'd say 420 - 425. Of course I usually tee off with my 5 wood or 3 iron for accuracy. Need a driver to get over the magic 500 mark.

• Haha 2

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

On 10/21/2020 at 3:59 AM, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

My "average good drive" is much farther than my "average drive" selected in this poll because it's dragged lower by too many crappy hits. 

Also playing with a 16 year old driver I've got to be leaving yards on the table... I really need to upgrade to a new "used" driver next year... maybe a G30, but I'm not spending $400 plus on the newest driver like my buddies because I still hit it past them 🙂

Hey BDP5, yea 16 year old driver is past due for replacement.  G30 are still pretty good performers, and those in really nice shape are right around $200 on the bay.  G400 Max which are super forgiving (only the PXG has higher MOI numbers even after 3 years), and the Maxs are in the $250 to $275 range depending on condition.

• Thanks 1

In my Datrek - DG lite II cart bag attached via Top-Lok to my Bag Boy - Quad XL - I'm decidedly brand agnostic:

PING - G400 Max 10.5 - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 5 R

Titleist - TS2 4W - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6 RS TS2 7W - Alta CB 65 R

Cobra - Baffler 23* - Aldila NV-HL 65 R

PXG - 0211 (2019 version) - 5-PW - MMT 80 S

Cleveland - CBX2 50 / 54 / 58 - Rotex 

L.A.B. Golf - Directed Force 2.1 - KBS Tour - Press No. II 3*

Snell - MTB  Black

On 11/5/2020 at 7:04 PM, bobfoster said:

Given that

1. I am 63; and 

2. This is GolfWRX,

I'd say 420 - 425. Of course I usually tee off with my 5 wood or 3 iron for accuracy. Need a driver to get over the magic 500 mark.

Is your middle name Bryson? 

In my Datrek - DG lite II cart bag attached via Top-Lok to my Bag Boy - Quad XL - I'm decidedly brand agnostic:

PING - G400 Max 10.5 - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 5 R

Titleist - TS2 4W - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6 RS TS2 7W - Alta CB 65 R

Cobra - Baffler 23* - Aldila NV-HL 65 R

PXG - 0211 (2019 version) - 5-PW - MMT 80 S

Cleveland - CBX2 50 / 54 / 58 - Rotex 

L.A.B. Golf - Directed Force 2.1 - KBS Tour - Press No. II 3*

Snell - MTB  Black

• 2 weeks later...

My carry distance is up to(not average) 295 on trackman, which is what I care about the most.  Total distance is important but not as much as carry.  Any roll out after carry, I consider a bonus. 

Edited by phizzy30

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2