Poll: What is your average total driving distance (male) by age?

easyyy

What is your average total driving distance (male) by age?  

834 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

39 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

Who is the 70yr old that hits it 300+?

Yeah I'd like to know as well.  70 year olds aren't flexible enough or swing fast enough to consistently hit 300+yards.  I could see carrying one 260 and getting 40 yards of roll out as a definite possibility, but no way a senior golfer that age can actually carry 300+ unless there's severe elevation change and a stiff breeze down wind. 

Edited by phizzy30

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

On 10/27/2020 at 12:28 PM, chipa said:

I think most people are saying what their driver distance is when they more or less hit it as they should and probably are omitting the pure duffs.

For me and my definition of average, it is not a pure average of every time you swing the driver. It would be silly to include a topped shot, and equally silly to include one that got an extra country mile from the cart path. I associate average with the range of distance from your average strike. Some are better hit than others, but an average strike. For me, on an average strike, I can hit the ball anywhere from 250 to 290, depending on many factors. I can occasionally hit it further when the stars align, and I can occasionally hit it shorter when they don’t, but I fully expect to be at least 250 off the tee, but less than 290. 

I’m not counting a tee shot that went into the woods and ping ponged around amongst my average, because it wasn’t average. I’m also not counting one that bounces off the cart path and ends up 80 yards longer than usual, because it also was not average. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

Yeah I'd like to know as well.  70 year olds aren't flexible enough or swing fast enough to consistently hit 300+yards.  I could see carrying one 260 and getting 40 yards of roll out as a definite possibility, but no way a senior golfer that age can actually carry 300+ unless there's severe elevation change and a stiff breeze down wind. 

Well, the poll didn’t say “carry”, it specifically said total distance including roll. Carry is a good number to know if you’re trying to fly an obstacle, or wanting to brag about how far you carry the ball, but for my game, knowing total distance is far more important. I want to know if I’m going to roll through a dogleg or through a fairway into a creek. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bigred90gt said:

Well, the poll didn’t say “carry”, it specifically said total distance including roll. Carry is a good number to know if you’re trying to fly an obstacle, or wanting to brag about how far you carry the ball, but for my game, knowing total distance is far more important. I want to know if I’m going to roll through a dogleg or through a fairway into a creek. 

Yes I know what the poll said.  My point was that carry distance is what matters to me.  I want to know and be confident that I can carry the water hazard off the tee or fairway bunker for example.  It's great that you think total distance is what matters to you(no sarcasm) but that's your opinion as what I stated is mine.  To me, roll out is just an added bonus. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Confused 1

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

2 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

Yes I know what the poll said.  My point was that carry distance is what matters to me.  I want to know and be confident that I can carry the water hazard off the tee or fairway bunker for example.  It's great that you think total distance is what matters to you(no sarcasm) but that's your opinion as what I stated is mine.  To me, roll out is just an added bonus. 

Fair point, I know a lot of people are more concerned about carry, as you and I both noted for the ability to carry obstacles. I was initially just pointing out where you stated it’s not likely a senior is going to carry it 300+, casting doubt on the lone 70+ hitting it 300+ (to be fair, I think that was a troll vote personally, a 70+ even hitting a total drive 300+ is quite unlikely) but the poll was for total distance. 

I do think the importance people place on carry vs roll could be regional as well. Where I play, fairways are typically rather firm (unless it’s wet out), so you have to be concerned with rollout. A lot of people play in different regions where long runout is a rarity, so carry is more important in general. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bigred90gt said:

Fair point, I know a lot of people are more concerned about carry, as you and I both noted for the ability to carry obstacles. I was initially just pointing out where you stated it’s not likely a senior is going to carry it 300+, casting doubt on the lone 70+ hitting it 300+ (to be fair, I think that was a troll vote personally, a 70+ even hitting a total drive 300+ is quite unlikely) but the poll was for total distance. 

I do think the importance people place on carry vs roll could be regional as well. Where I play, fairways are typically rather firm (unless it’s wet out), so you have to be concerned with rollout. A lot of people play in different regions where long runout is a rarity, so carry is more important in general. 

You've made things more clear now.  I can see where roll out would be more important to consider.  Like here in SoCal where it doesn't rain often, fairways can get hard and fast even during what's considered wet or rainy season(winter/spring).  What club do I need to hit in order for the ball not to roll out into the fairway bunker?  Do I hit driver or 3 metal so I don't run out of fairway?  Thanks for that insight. 

The thread i think specified that the distance portion was to be "total distance" , so including roll

This of course also will have some variance, as people who play early in the morning when it's wet will tend to get less roll. But whatev's it's never perfect. 

I agree that i took "average" to mean more or less an average of your "top 90%" of drives. It's fair to exclude a whiff and not count it as 0 , haha

That being said for guys who have like, <5 indexes, i imagine this is not much of an issue. I don't think i hit a drive under 200yds the entire season

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

45 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

You've made things more clear now.  I can see where roll out would be more important to consider.  Like here in SoCal where it doesn't rain often, fairways can get hard and fast even during what's considered wet or rainy season(winter/spring).  What club do I need to hit in order for the ball not to roll out into the fairway bunker?  Do I hit driver or 3 metal so I don't run out of fairway?  Thanks for that insight. 

And I used to worry a lot more about how far it was to carry obstacles when I had the ability (and young uninsured back) to carry the ball a long way. There was a time where I would carry ponds that required 300-310 in the air when needed, but those days are long gone with my twice repaired back. Carry was more important then, as you mentioned. 

If I carry one 250 now, it was hammered, but on the Texas coast, with our firm fairways, it’s not uncommon for me to get 20-30 yards of run, which these days is where I get into trouble. 

28 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

The thread i think specified that the distance portion was to be "total distance" , so including roll

This of course also will have some variance, as people who play early in the morning when it's wet will tend to get less roll. But whatev's it's never perfect. 

I agree that i took "average" to mean more or less an average of your "top 90%" of drives. It's fair to exclude a whiff and not count it as 0 , haha

That being said for guys who have like, <5 indexes, i imagine this is not much of an issue. I don't think i hit a drive under 200yds the entire season

I’m a 6.0, and I hit a drive last week that went about 20 yards😂

1 hour ago, bigred90gt said:

And I used to worry a lot more about how far it was to carry obstacles when I had the ability (and young uninsured back) to carry the ball a long way. There was a time where I would carry ponds that required 300-310 in the air when needed, but those days are long gone with my twice repaired back. Carry was more important then, as you mentioned. 

If I carry one 250 now, it was hammered, but on the Texas coast, with our firm fairways, it’s not uncommon for me to get 20-30 yards of run, which these days is where I get into trouble. 

On the same boat.  SS was 122 back in the day.  Now about 115-118.  I have herniated discs in my back in the L5 and L6.  2mm according to my MRI scan back in 2008.  The discs have probably shifted a little more since then.  No surgery for me yet but I will probably need to go under the knife in the future considering my swing isn't good for my lower back. 

11 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

On the same boat.  SS was 122 back in the day.  Now about 115-118.  I have herniated discs in my back in the L5 and L6.  2mm according to my MRI scan back in 2008.  The discs have probably shifted a little more since then.  No surgery for me yet but I will probably need to go under the knife in the future considering my swing isn't good for my lower back. 

I had a herniation at L4-5 and at L5-S1. Blew them out in 07. I had L4-5 fixed in 2012 when I reinjured it and could no longer stand up straight. 1.5 years later, I blew it out again in 2014 and had surgery #2. L5-S1 has never caused much pain, just random numbness in my left foot, so I never had anything done with it. I just can’t put in the effort anymore to get my speed back up or get my game back, so I hack away and enjoy the time with my wife on the course these days. 

Edited by bigred90gt

2 hours ago, bigred90gt said:

I’m a 6.0, and I hit a drive last week that went about 20 yards😂

It happens LOL....i'm sure you don't do it that often though! 

In my first interclub tournament like 15 years ago i did it twice on the front 9. (thankfully shot a 33 on the back to save some face)

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

21 hours ago, bigred90gt said:

For me and my definition of average, it is not a pure average of every time you swing the driver. It would be silly to include a topped shot, and equally silly to include one that got an extra country mile from the cart path. I associate average with the range of distance from your average strike. Some are better hit than others, but an average strike. For me, on an average strike, I can hit the ball anywhere from 250 to 290, depending on many factors. I can occasionally hit it further when the stars align, and I can occasionally hit it shorter when they don’t, but I fully expect to be at least 250 off the tee, but less than 290. 

I’m not counting a tee shot that went into the woods and ping ponged around amongst my average, because it wasn’t average. I’m also not counting one that bounces off the cart path and ends up 80 yards longer than usual, because it also was not average. 

I agree with this 100%. Well said. 

17 hours ago, MtlJeff said:

It happens LOL....i'm sure you don't do it that often though! 

In my first interclub tournament like 15 years ago i did it twice on the front 9. (thankfully shot a 33 on the back to save some face)

Thankfully, no, I don’t, lol. I believe there was copious amounts of alcohol involved in that shot. 

I just got a Nike Sumo driver and have just about got my swing down. I am getting a solid 240. I am not swing full tilt until I am more consistent, so I think with a proper ball I should be a solid 250-260 with a good swing. Not bad at 49, I guess. I drove 250 with my 5w in college and that was '89.

I know a newer drive would help, but I like this one so far.

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

So JP is in a 4% group, but given his last 4 rounds, he still makes that cut. His last four rounds he couldn't do anything right. JP is keeping his humor about it and notes that he is so far off optimum but yet 'feels' like his swing is 'there'. The results say otherwise. It got so bad when he duffed three wedge shots from 80-100 in after terrific drives. He 2, 3 and 4 putted consecutive holes and the 4 putt was 20 feet uphill. He has played a lot this year and shot some terrific scores but feels he has lost his mindfulness and that says, "Time for a break."  He has tried willing himself into being present but...he finds himself no longer able to just will it into existence. 

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

I just went with answering the question posited by the poll and know my numbers in general so didn't consider a couple of personal record drives I hit just a few weekends ago with a solid 30 mph + wind at my back and hard ground conditions.  Man, they were fun, though!

Uh-oh, I may have voted twice, not sure how that was allowed. Sorry - at least they were the same. 😉

Edited by Hawkeye77

• 2 weeks later...

I tee off with a 3w and get abt 240-260yds.  48yo.  I have hit a few this year to 310 -325, so not sure how that can happen but it does.   

They say your stock 9i is half of your driver distance and my 9i is a minimum 140 to max 165 (@100% SS).  

I feel like I am leaving a lot of yards on the table with a shorter club at 15° loft.  

Also its an 8 year old 3w, so that may be costing me a few yards too.. but its my most reliable wood off the tee.

Edited by Snowbirdie

🤣🤣 I’ve got a feeling this is like playing liars poker!! 😱

• Driver - Ping G400 10.5 Graphite Design VR 5 R1
  • Wood - Taylormade Sim TI 5 wood 19* (17.5) Diamana 65R
  • Wood - Callaway Epic Speed 7 wood 21* HZRDUS 60-5.5
  • Hybrid - Ping G430 22* R 
  • Hybrid - Ping G425 26* @ 25* R
  • Irons - New Level 902 PD 6-PW & AW Elevate MPH 95 R 
  • Wedge - Ping Glide 2.0 50* AWT 
  • Wedge - Callaway  MD3 Milled 56/10 TT Elevate MPH 95 R
  • Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG #7 Bird 34” 
  • Ball - Maxfli Tour 

I'm 46 and outdrive almost everyone I play with (some of the young + golfers in my MGA are longer, but not by much). Driver speed is 110-115 depending on how loose I am. I'm in the 280-300 bracket. In the summer when it's dry I probably average 300 off the tee, in the winter/fall/wet/cold I probably average 270 off the tee. Over-all average I'm claiming is 285!

-ZA

TM SIM 9.0 with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X

TM SIM 15 deg 3W with Project X Smoke Green S

TM SIM2 3H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM M3 4H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM P790 5i with KBS $-Taper 120

TM P760 6-PW with KBS $-Taper 120

TM Hi Toe 50, 55 & 60 with DG S300

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 

57 , 1/2 to 3/4 backswing due to needing a new hip, screwed up shoulders (3 surgeries) from years of competitive hockey / baseball , herniated discs etc etc ( basically just old lol)... SS hovers a couple mph either side of 100, Arccos data since Sept ( in Canada brrrrr) says 240 average,(wet conditions mostly) which I can live with, usually in the fairway (70%) no need to hit it any further than that... 5hcp.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think most people over estimate how far they hit their drivers. In this poll most players aging 70+ Claim they average 200+ yards and only 5 admitted that they are less than 200. Same pattern for other age groups. It’s time they buy some shot tracking system such as arccos that would tell you exactly how long you hit each shot. Most male golfers in their 20s or 30s should be happy if they average 220 yards with a driver. And that’s not even counting those errant shots that didn’t clear the red tee or hit a tree and went only 100ish yards. In fact, scratch players average 250 yards driving. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, alexmyx said:

I think most people over estimate how far they hit their drivers. In this poll most players aging 70+ Claim they average 200+ yards and only 5 admitted that they are less than 200. Same pattern for other age groups. It’s time they buy some shot tracking system such as arccos that would tell you exactly how long you hit each shot. Most male golfers in their 20s or 30s should be happy if they average 220 yards with a driver. And that’s not even counting those errant shots that didn’t clear the red tee or hit a tree and went only 100ish yards. In fact, scratch players average 250 yards driving. 

Or maybe the people who make up the membership of a website dedicated to the game actually do know how far they hit it. And maybe it is more than the average Joe who plays twice a year. 

Are there people who are overestimating their distances?  Sure. But I can say that I’ve played with numerous people here, and what I’ve seen on the course matches up very well with what I’ve seen them post. 

• Like 1

I would agree that people on this website probably play much better than average golfers but it’s still hard to believe that most people on this forum over age 70 average longer than 220-240yards, or any other stats in other age groups. I mean LPGA players driving average is between 240-260. Those players are much younger, way more flexible and probably about as strong if not stronger than 70+ male. Not to mention the fact that they are professionals that probably hit the center of the club face 90%+ of the time. All in all, not saying that the poll is totally wrong, but just hard to believe based on the numbers I see. 

7 hours ago, alexmyx said:

I would agree that people on this website probably play much better than average golfers but it’s still hard to believe that most people on this forum over age 70 average longer than 220-240yards, or any other stats in other age groups. I mean LPGA players driving average is between 240-260. Those players are much younger, way more flexible and probably about as strong if not stronger than 70+ male. Not to mention the fact that they are professionals that probably hit the center of the club face 90%+ of the time. All in all, not saying that the poll is totally wrong, but just hard to believe based on the numbers I see. 

Fair enough. 
Admittedly I haven’t read the poll results. But in your first post you said 70+ year olds averaging 200+.  In this one you said 220-240. 

Big difference there and in the case of the latter, I would be inclined to agree with you. 

10 hours ago, alexmyx said:

220 sounds way short for male golfers in their 20s-30s. Most of my friends sons whom are a mix of skills are more like 240-270. I'm in my late 50s and my shortest peers are 220-230. I know yardage because I mark shots with my GPS. 

• Like 2