Poll: What is your average total driving distance (male) by age?

easyyy

What is your average total driving distance (male) by age?  

834 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

41 minutes ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

220 sounds way short for male golfers in their 20s-30s. Most of my friends sons whom are a mix of skills are more like 240-270. I'm in my late 50s and my shortest peers are 220-230. I know yardage because I mark shots with my GPS. 

Sean will be chiming in soon telling us that the average drive for men is 200 yards. Per the USGA if I remember.  
I don’t know where they get their numbers, but there isn’t anyone in my regular group (roughly 20 or so people, ages ranging from late 20’s to early 70’s) who don’t regularly exceed that number. 

1 hour ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

220 sounds way short for male golfers in their 20s-30s. Most of my friends sons whom are a mix of skills are more like 240-270. I'm in my late 50s and my shortest peers are 220-230. I know yardage because I mark shots with my GPS. 

Well if you and your friends and their sons are all pretty well trained then that makes sense. And I would imagine that the people who respond to the poll here should be a mixture of those who are/were well trained, those that are just super enthusiastic about the game and some who love the game but don’t have that much time for practice or lessons.

28 minutes ago, alexmyx said:

Well if you and your friends and their sons are all pretty well trained then that makes sense. And I would imagine that the people who respond to the poll here should be a mixture of those who are/were well trained, those that are just super enthusiastic about the game and some who love the game but don’t have that much time for practice or lessons.

We're hardly good golfers, typically 10-25 handicaps. Unless they are "new" golfers then few males in their 20s/30s would be averaging only 220 yard drives. 

40 minutes ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

We're hardly good golfers, typically 10-25 handicaps. Unless they are "new" golfers then few males in their 20s/30s would be averaging only 220 yard drives. 

Ok. No offense but in that case, i’m pretty sure you guys are overstating you drive numbers. unless if you guys are all very tall or really strong. or both.

https://Not allowed because of spam.com/arccos-driving-distance-study/

Above is a link to the arccos driving stats. If you scroll to the bottom you will see average driving distance. Let’s take age 30-39 as an example. Arccos driving average for that group is just over 230 yards. In the poll here for the same age group, we have only 10% saying they average under 240 yards, only 24% under 260 yard. Rest of them all longer than 260 and 38% longer than 280 yards. Given that Arccos stats are all based on GPS tracking numbers while polls are telling us how long respondents believe their average is, I tend to think Arccos is more subjective and true. 

• Like 1

I think now the question becomes “what do you want when you say average”. If I’m not mistaken Arccos (and GameGolf was the same I believe) factors in every drive. It doesn’t toss out the high and low?  So all those duffs and chunks are factored in. As well as the occasional cart path bomb. I think there are far, far more of the former than the latter. When I respond to an “average” question here, I do so with what I think is the average of the “average” hits.  If that makes any sense. 
I don’t know if I have the screenshot anymore, but I had one with a distance average from gamegolf that included a 10 yard shot (something happened with tagging process if I recall correctly). I didn’t have it very long, so maybe only 20-25 recorded drives. One single bad number really skews the “average”. 
And I could be completely wrong too. I just know from personal experience over the 40 years of playing, I’ve rarely seen a reasonably fit person, with any kind of legitimate swing,  under the age of 50 who can’t hit a driver consistently over 220. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

People hear the word "average" and in their mind translate that to mean the average of the 5 best drives they've hit in their lifetime, including the ones in Denver, downhill from elevated tee boxes, and with 30mph tail winds. Maybe even a cart path too. I'm in my 50s playing mostly around 400ft elevation, and according to Arccos my average drive is 255 (longest was 303, probably under those same conditions). Over the years I've played with very few people who were driving the ball further than I was, and when they were it wasn't by much. Maybe all the courses I play are overrun with terrible golfers, but then if you asked me how far my "average" drive was before Arccos I might have said 280+ as well. Or 303 😉.

10 minutes ago, deadsolid...shank said:

I think now the question becomes “what do you want when you say average”. If I’m not mistaken Arccos (and GameGolf was the same I believe) factors in every drive. It doesn’t toss out the high and low?  So all those duffs and chunks are factored in. As well as the occasional cart path bomb. I think there are far, far more of the former than the latter. When I respond to an “average” question here, I do so with what I think is the average of the “average” hits.  If that makes any sense. 
I don’t know if I have the screenshot anymore, but I had one with a distance average from gamegolf that included a 10 yard shot (something happened with tagging process if I recall correctly). I didn’t have it very long, so maybe only 20-25 recorded drives. One single bad number really skews the “average”. 
And I could be completely wrong too. I just know from personal experience over the 40 years of playing, I’ve rarely seen a reasonably fit person, with any kind of legitimate swing,  under the age of 50 who can’t hit a driver consistently over 220. 

Actually arccos does take out anomalies. Attached is a screenshot of my arccos tracking. Only green shots are counted and anomalies are grayed out. 

And it’s interesting that you said it’s rare to find people under 50 with proper swing technique driving under 220 yards. I actually found the opposite to be true. I don’t come across a lot of golfers that actually average longer than 220 or 230 yards. Sometimes I see people or myself hitting bombers that seem to be very long but then when I found the ball and looked at the phone, it was only 230 yards. But I guess at the end of the day, we are all drawing anecdotal experience of our own with limited sample size so statistically they are not even significant enough to draw a conclusion. That’s why I trust Arccos. 

0535E476-BE53-4ADE-B26E-769FC409B801.jpeg

3 minutes ago, PuffyC said:

People hear the word "average" and in their mind translate that to mean the average of the 5 best drives they've hit in their lifetime, including the ones in Denver, downhill from elevated tee boxes, and with 30mph tail winds. Maybe even a cart path too. I'm in my 50s playing mostly around 400ft elevation, and according to Arccos my average drive is 255 (longest was 303, probably under those same conditions). Over the years I've played with very few people who were driving the ball further than I was, and when they were it wasn't by much. Maybe all the courses I play are overrun with terrible golfers, but then if you asked me how far my "average" drive was before Arccos I might have said 280+ as well. Or 303 😉.

Haha exactly. To that extend, I hate Arccos. such a wake up call. 

BTW, my experience is very similar to yours. I haven’t played for that many years but I often go out as a single so I get paired up with many many random players. I’ve only seen a few people that can drive 280+ yards on a regular basis. 

1 hour ago, alexmyx said:

Ok. No offense but in that case, i’m pretty sure you guys are overstating you drive numbers. unless if you guys are all very tall or really strong. or both.

I'd agree that overstating drive distance is common, but since I know my yardages because of Garmin golf I know that isn't the case.  Just to be clear we're talking about total distance not carry.

We're pretty normal mid50's guys (10-25 HC), average height and most routinely drive 220s-230's. There's a few of us that are longer though the longer guys are generally not the better golfers. My average is 240-250 though I have control issues.  Almost every round, regardless of course, I'll have one or more great drives that's over 260, sometimes even longer like these below.  There is one hole on my home course that's slightly down hill with a forced carry of about 240 over a creek that I can routinely drive over--- I'm not the only one of my age 50something buddies that can do this.

No offense but I think you're under estimating what fairly average drivers are doing that are not even talented golfers or exceptional athletes.  Virtually no one that golfs semi regularly that's in their 20s or 30s is only driving it 220.

golf shot 2.JPG

golf shot.JPG

Edited by BlackDiamondPar5
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

I'd agree that overstating drive distance is common, but since I know my yardages because of Garmin golf I know that isn't the case.  Just to be clear we're talking about total distance not carry.

We're pretty normal mid50's guys (10-25 HC), average height and most routinely drive 220s-230's. There's a few of us that are longer though the longer guys are generally not the better golfers. My average is 240-250 though I have control issues.  Almost every round, regardless of course, I'll have one or more great drives that's over 260, sometimes even longer like these below.  There is one hole on my home course that's slightly down hill with a forced carry of about 240 over a creek that I can routinely drive over--- I'm not the only one of my age 50something buddies that can do this.

No offense but I think you're under estimating what fairly average drivers are doing that are not even talented golfers or exceptional athletes.  Virtually no one that golfs semi regularly that's in their 20s or 30s is only driving it 220.

golf shot 2.JPG

golf shot.JPG

Got it. Those are great drives. Although I still believe if someone consistently hits 220+ yards total that’s pretty good for any age group thanks to Arccos. It basically reduced my ‘perceived’ average distance by 25 yards. Such a bastxxx.lol

Just curious, does your app give you stats on average distance of each club? I kinda wanna try it to see how different it is from arccos.

3 minutes ago, alexmyx said:

Got it. Those are great drives. Although I still believe if someone consistently hits 220+ yards total that’s pretty good for any age group thanks to Arccos. It basically reduced my ‘perceived’ average distance by 25 yards. Such a bastxxx.lol

Just curious, does your app give you stats on average distance of each club? I kinda wanna try it to see how different it is from arccos.

Unfortunately I don't capture club stats with my Garmin or I could share with you.  I have mental averages such as 140 for my 9 iron etc.

I just don't agree that guys in their 20's/30's average is 220. Most the guys in that age category I know are bombers if they play with any regularity regardless of index.  However with that said I think someone can shoot really good scores and only drive it 220's. Control really prevails when it comes to us regular guys--- just wish I could dial it back myself for more control 🙂

Good discussion. Nice to see one stay civil. 

I will say that most of my golf has been played at elevation. About 3,800’ for the last 20 years, and the last two at about 4,800”.  However, at those elevations, 220 is really not in the discussion. It’s quite a bit more. But, like Alexmyx said, these are all just anecdotal examples of what we’ve seen. And thanks for the Arccos shot Alex, I’ll have to see if I still the gamegolf one I had and calculate out the numbers to see how they get their average. 

I do agree with BlackDiamond though, I think the people who are posting here are not your average once a month players. And they are objective enough to calculate an average in the way Puffy C described. 

My numbers (accounting for elevation) are probably similar to Puffy C’s. I’ve been paired up numerous times with people who are longer. And, like I said earlier, some were from this board. @Vnutz and @loopercon are two, I doubt you’ll ever see them post a number, but both kill it. I just really believe this board is not representative of the general golfing public. 

• Like 1

This is fact. My son and his buddies who live in the DFW area and play year around hit it 270-280 all day. They are former HS and college athletes, these guys tend to have great hand-eye coordination, fast twitch muscles and really good balance. On firm, fast fairways 300+ happens, I've witnessed it.

Was a good high school golfer and shot in the 70s. Lived in NYC during my 20s, played golf about 5 times per year and hit it about 250-270. After grad school, started playing again seriously, as in weekly. Equipment improved as well. When I was 38 at the end of the 2017 season, ball speed was 155-158 on gc2. At that point, I started lifting, and for me, lifting heavy. I also started swing speed training. I kept my 2016 M2 as my baseline. By early 2020, with that same M2, I hit 170 ball speed on my GC2. Shot after shot on my Gc2 with my M2 or gamer Titleist TSi, I was in the mid to upper 160s ball speed. Who would have thought that someone that went from 38 to 42 years old would gain 5-7 mph ball speed. Honestly, it's all about lifting heavy and speed training. If you work, it will come. 

TaylorMade 2016 Tour Issue M2x3 (8.5*/9.4*/9.8*) - Testing: Tensei 1K White 70TX

Titleist TSi3 9* - Atmos TS Patriot 7x

Titleist 915fd 13.5* @12.75* - Atmos Blue TS 8x 

Titleist 915f 15* @ 14.25* - Atmos Blue TS 8x

Titleist 915f 18* - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.2x

Titleist 816H1 17* - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8x

Titleist 818H1 21* - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8x

Titleist 2023 T150 4 & 5 iron, T100 6-9 iron - Project x6.5 ss1x 1.5* flat

Vokey SM9 Raw 46.10F, 50.12F - Project x6.0 1.5* flat, 54.12D, 58.08M - DG TI S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2, Toulon Garage San Diego, Odyssey #7 CH; Odyssey Tour Black #9

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the 60-69 group, average drive is in the 240-260 range most of the time, obviously some days are better than others. It was a LOT longer when I was younger and living in the "high desert"(western slope) of Colorado (just sayin-). Being basically at sea level definitely doesn't help

Rogue ST Max(10.5*) Tensei AV Blue

Apex UW (17*) Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue

Apex Pro 21 Hybrid (20*/23*) KBS Hybrid

Apex 21 6-PW (Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120)

Jaws MD5 50*S (Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Wedge)

Full Toe Raw 54*(Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Wedge)

Full Toe Raw 58* (Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Wedge)

WHOG #5

I play at 5,000 feet elevation so I get about a 10% aid in carry distance.  I can still hit the ball 300 yards here in Colorado, at times longer.  That said, at lower altitudes I am probably around 265-275 yards.  Not bad for someone with an AARP membership.  LOL

• Like 1

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

• 1 month later...
On 12/27/2020 at 12:59 PM, deadsolid...shank said:

Absolutely. I play with a nearly 70 year old who hits a high fade with an m6 and a stiff shaft 250 every single time he swings it.  I mean that’s his carry number for trouble.  He’s a small dude and doesn’t have a flowing swing.  But he has good mechanics overall and launches it up.   

I know a few super seniors who are below this 220 number. But each one has very serious limitations on their health.  

alot of the regular dogfight in our club is seniors.  Or at least above 50.  And 90 % are longer than that.  I don’t know where they get these numbers.  Or if they are just that many beginners that the numbers are that far skewed.  

• Like 3

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I'm in the 30-39 category and my average drive is 234, and that was with going on a year at the end of the season and having a couple

rounds where I was averaging 250~.

Yeah there technically shouldn't be any reason why someone my age and in decent shape shouldn't be able to drive it 220, but golf is hard, and the average person may have a lot more mis-hits that could bring the average down. Then the average Joe could very well have equipment that doesn't fit them well. I think a big part of my aforementioned year is i replaced the shaft in my driver with a higher launching shaft, and that really helped once I got used to it.

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft

I'm finally up to averaging just over 260 total. A couple years ago when my golf course first got a golf simulator, I could barely carry it 210 and roll it to 230. Without the launch monitor practice I'd fall right into the average group in the 30-39 age range. Completely changed my launch angle and drop my spin from over 4k to around 2k.

Ping G430 Max KaiLi White 60 Stiff (9 degree)
Cobra King RAD 3 Wood Fujikura Motore X F3 Stiff (14.5 degree setting)
Mizuno CLK Hybrid (19 and 22 degree, I swap them out depending on the wind in the parking lot)

Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal Pro 4-5 Irons - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts

Mizuno JPX-921 Forged 6 Iron - G Wedge - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts 
Titleist SM9 54 and 58 
Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 CS (34")

• 2 weeks later...

I turning 56 this year and I know that my driving distance will decline   The new drivers don’t do it    I just try to stay fit ,loose and strong.  If I get 250-260 I’m satisfied 

I play with a few players who seem jealous when ever there’s a drives past 300+ on the fairway in our league and says it’s “luck”    I used to be like that but I appreciate those who can   Golf is not all about long driving 

Edited by harolease