Who Plays Without A Glove? The Gloveless Golfers Society Thread

4 hours ago, cristphoto said:

I posted earlier that I don't wear a glove.  However when we get into Winter weather I do wear the Zero Restriction Windstopper winter gloves.  Warm, good traction, and comfortable.  

Full-cord grips work beautifully in rain for gloveless play, and rain gloves are justifiable during downpours without cords, but gloves exclusively for windy days?  I guess they would be worth trying if I lived near windy venues like Bandon or Whistling Straits.

4 hours ago, EmperorPenguin said:

Full-cord grips work beautifully in rain for gloveless play, and rain gloves are justifiable during downpours without cords, but gloves exclusively for windy days?  I guess they would be worth trying if I lived near windy venues like Bandon or Whistling Straits.

The ZR gloves are for Winter use. It may be confusing since they have Windstopper material in them.  

• 4 weeks later...

I have been playing for 25 years and never played without a glove until last week. I played the round without a glove and with my new Best Grip leather grips, I don't think I will go back. I loved the tackiness without the glove. The added bonus, aside from not having to pay for new gloves, is not constantly having to take them off and putting them back on. I am a fan of gloveless.

Mr. Wolfe

Edited by Mr_Wolfe

I haven't used a glove for 15 years. Always used to wear one and one day when my glove tore mid round I didn't have one to replace it with, so I played the rest of the round without one and loved the feel I had and have never worn one since. However I will wear rain gloves if I get caught playing in the rain.

Callaway mavrik max 10.5

Callaway mavrik max 3 & 5 wood
Ping g30  26* & 30* hybrids
Ping i200 6 - UW

Ping glide 54* & 60* wedges
Odyssey #7 putter

In 1992 I was the guy with 3 gloves hanging on the roof support of the golf cart until I played with a PGA Tour hopeful that turned me onto the original Golf Pride Tour Wraps. I made playing gloveless part of my routine by pulling a club, wiping the grip with the damp side of a towel, and a quick dry and go. It has been with me ever since. My buddy ended up playing a year on tour and only wore a glove once they were free. 

Now I ask the Gloveless Wonders, what's your preferred grip? Once the original Tour Wraps were replaced (early 2000s) with a product that was less tacky, less durable, and inferior, I have been on a quest. I found Nirvana when I product tested the Lamkin REL ACE grips. At last, they were the go to until they were discontinued. Now its Tour Velvet and they suitable, but they aren't the RELs. Additionally, I like my grips in .580 on the .600 and its just perfection. 

I am glad to be part of the society and I will be expecting the pm with the membership package and secret handshake instructions. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* Tour AD HD 5X, Big Tour 15.5*, Rad Tour 18.5* Even Flow White 6.0

Titleist U500 4 23* Hzdrus Smoke Black 6.0 

Titleist 718 AP2 5-P DG AMT White S300 

Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S, DG S200

Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1, Vice Pro Plus, Foresight GC3 

1 hour ago, TourSpoon said:

In 1992 I was the guy with 3 gloves hanging on the roof support of the golf cart until I played with a PGA Tour hopeful that turned me onto the original Golf Pride Tour Wraps. I made playing gloveless part of my routine by pulling a club, wiping the grip with the damp side of a towel, and a quick dry and go. It has been with me ever since. My buddy ended up playing a year on tour and only wore a glove once they were free. 

Now I ask the Gloveless Wonders, what's your preferred grip? Once the original Tour Wraps were replaced (early 2000s) with a product that was less tacky, less durable, and inferior, I have been on a quest. I found Nirvana when I product tested the Lamkin REL ACE grips. At last, they were the go to until they were discontinued. Now its Tour Velvet and they suitable, but they aren't the RELs. Additionally, I like my grips in .580 on the .600 and its just perfection. 

I am glad to be part of the society and I will be expecting the pm with the membership package and secret handshake instructions. 

Yes, I love the original Golf Pride Tour Wraps!  The last time I bought Tour Wrap grips was about 2004 (glossy finish), so I do not know how today's Tour Wraps compare.  A lot of guys wish the Tour Wrap cords were still around.  Because my hands have calluses in all the right places, coupled with having a textbook neutral grip, I can play with most any grip.  I like fresh grips from Winn, but they don't last long and they rip very easily.  Nowadays, I just play cheap Karma grips I can buy on eBay for about a buck a grip; they are much like Tour Velvets and I'm fine with that.

In my life, I would say that I have had about thirty sets of golf clubs, all I bought used through discount stores, fleaBay, you name it.  For the longest-lasting, I recommend cheap Golf Pride Victory or Tour Velvet or equivalent.  When the grips start getting slick, all I do is wash the grips, heat them up with a heat gun, and while hot, use a coarse sanding block and force out the slick layer.  Grips will be like new, guaranteed.  However, you cannot do this trick to Tour Wraps, as they will ruin the grip; that glossy layer is vital.

When given one choice regardless of price, the best grips I've ever had were on a set of Titleist Custom Grind irons I bought at the local Nevada Bob's: they had genuine Neumann leather grips!  At the time, they were selling for about $20 per roll, but very much worth it.  They required regular cleaning and a touch of conditioning oil, but they were indeed a labor of love worth it.  Leather is hands-down the best you can buy.

Edited by EmperorPenguin
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

When I started playing, I wore a glove on every shot except for putting, I took it off to have “better feel”. I wore it to have a better grip on the club, but I think it was more because everyone else wore one. I started to notice that I was standing over a putt, ready to take the club back and realized I didn’t take my glove off! Later I would notice over a second shot that I forgot to put my glove back on. At that point I said screw it and gave up on gloves. I use full cord grips, wash them good 3 or 4 times a year with dish soap and a scrub brush and I never have an issue. I’ve played glove less for over 20 years.  

I've been working my way through my bag gloveless since mid-October. Currently only use a glove anything stronger than 7i. Have really enjoyed it and certainly feel like I have significantly more feel gloveless.

Only exception to this is in the bunker. Can't bring myself to hit a bunker shot without a glove especially when I have to blast it out.

On 11/23/2020 at 2:17 PM, llaw999 said:

Just switched to Gripmaster Roo grips and enjoying being gloveless. Don’t see myself going back.

Lots of talk about them lasting a long time but seems like they are in warm/humid climates. It gets cooler here up north so hopefully they hold up just as well.

I live in Massachusetts and mine hold up great, just make sure they’re cleaned after your last round of the year.

Ping G425 12* set at the little - with a tour 2.0 65 stiff shaft

Callaway Steelhead III 18* 5W

Callaway Big Bertha Warbird 21* 7W

Ping G30 4-W, U, and S irons 

Ping Tour 60* wedge

Ping Karsten Craz-E putter

I always feel there is an element of location and weather with this issue. 

Living in England, we play through the winter as it's not cold enough to stop golf but cold enough to make you hands feel pretty numb. Combined with the rain that we are usually putting up with gloveless golf can be precarious. 

So I am about 10 rounds in without a glove and never going back. When I used to have a 10 finger grip, my grip would slip without a glove. With the interlocking grip, I feel 100% confident the club will not slip. I use The Grip Master Roo's on my long irons and drivers and The Best Grip "Masters" grips on my shorter irons. I play with standard PURE grips on my wedges.

Mr. Wolfe

I play gloveless mostly bc I destroy them. Especially when I’m frequently at the range. I don’t mind wearing them though and usually will when I’m trying to play my best. 

Ogio Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag
PXG 0811 X Gen4 @ 6* - Fujikura Motore X F3 7X
PXG 0211 @ 13.5* - Fujikura Motore X F1 8X
PXG 0311 XP Gen3 3i-PW - PX LZ 6.5
PXG 0311 Forged 54/60 - PX LZ 6.5
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

23 hours ago, Miss_Tee said:

Question for those that play without a glove - When you do wear rain gloves, does it feel "off" to you?  

My answer was pretty simple. I quit playing golf in the rain. If I'm on the course and a small shower or sprinkle blows in, I'll continue to play in hopes that it stops. If it drags on or gets to be more than a slight sprinkle, I'm just packing it in. Gone are the days of being dedicated enough to the game to have any desire to play in the rain.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigred90gt said:

My answer was pretty simple. I quit playing golf in the rain. If I'm on the course and a small shower or sprinkle blows in, I'll continue to play in hopes that it stops. If it drags on or gets to be more than a slight sprinkle, I'm just packing it in. Gone are the days of being dedicated enough to the game to have any desire to play in the rain.

It seems every time I pre-pay for a golf trip, I get nailed with rain a time or two. Sometimes you just have to deal with it, but I hear you.

Mr. Wolfe

I've been back and forth for years but committed a while back to glove less-ness.  Cords or (currently) Pure DTX grips work great for me.  Wet/dry towel and I'm good to go.  Never found a glove that fit properly which likely kept me glove less.

Maltby KE4 TC Pro @9.5* w/Maltby MPF DR (S) 

Maltby KE4 TC Pro @14.5* w/UST ProForce V2 75R 

Maltby KE4 TC Pro @19* w/UST ProForce V2 75R

PXG 0317X Proto @22* w/MMT 80S

Maltby TE+ 5-6  w/Recoil Prototype 125f4

Maltby TS4 7-G w/Recoil Prototype 125f4

Mizuno T24 56/60 DG S400

*The putter committee*

Golf Pride tour wraps - keep em clean and new. No glove unless everything is really wet and slipping around. I play a lot and only have a small callous on my left index finger/thumb side where the right hand sits on it. Never feels like my club slips and keeps me from gripping too tight.

[img]http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/images/smilies/titelist.jpg[/img] Driver 910 D2 - 10.5 s 'ilima
[img]http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/images/smilies/callaway.jpg[/img] XR 16 - 3 wood
[img]http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/images/smilies/callaway.jpg[/img] XR 16 - 4 & 5 hybrid
[img]http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/images/smilies/callaway.jpg[/img]Apex Pro 5-AW
[img]http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/images/smilies/callaway.jpg[/img] MackDaddy 56 & 60 PM grind
[img]http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/images/smilies/seemore.jpg[/img] FGP
[img]http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/images/smilies/bridgestone.jpg[/img] B330rx
[img]http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/images/smilies/clicgear.jpg[/img]3.0