Play a big driver, why not big irons

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Driver is played from a lie with the ball sitting on a tee, irons are played from a variety of lie types.

I think that the Ping G710's would be perfect for someone like me.  At 68, I struggle to hit my AP2 PW 105 yards.  If I could get back to a 115 yard PW and a 150 yard 7-iron, I would be in heaven.  We

I play a big driver, ping g410+.  Wondered how many play a large headed driver and play a draw or fade off the tee but when they pull an iron it’s some blade size thing so they can “work” the ball.  

17 hours ago, mantan said:

I'm also in the play whatever you want camp.

No doubt. I'm the same way. Play whatever works for you. Regardless of what others think. End of discussion. Few people actually follow that advice. Plenty of vanity involved with what people think they "should" play.

Way too many people here and other places continually play equipment that doesn't fit them at all. So many people play ill fitting gear based on off the cuff opinions of others that have zero in common with their own swing instead of actually trying clubs out for themselves.

Then people bad mouth ill fitting equipment that was never right for then in the first place. Wash, rinse, repeat. The golf industry thrives and depends on it.

• Like 2

I can play either or for irons... i kinda prefer a players club that has a toch of forgiveness and normal to above average distance... now i know what you thinking... well thats a players distance iron... i still happen to think most player distance irons are a tad on the thick side just a tad. I currently play the mizuno mmc mp 20 and im in 😍love. I just like the turf interaction a bit better. From now on its players to player distance irons for me.

8 hours ago, BogeyParBogey said:

Very wide soled irons and a picker swing is a recipe for issues.  Personally, I think SGI irons for your average guy who doesn't have a particularly good impact position can cause more problems than they solve.

Dave

This describes me perfectly - I was struggling with my game and thought I would try some 'bigger' irons, and did even worse! Took some lessons and changed to midsize grips which helped immensely - had my best scoring season this year! FWIW - I play 2016 Cobra Forged Tecs with Recoil F3 shafts, and had tried a set of F8s and F9s with the same shafts while I was struggling.

Cobra F7  Fujikura Pro S

Cobra F6 3 Wood Fujikura Pro S

Cobra F7 2/3 Hybrid Fujikura Pro S

Callaway Apex Pro 16 4-P Recoil 110 F4

Cleveland RTX4 50, 54, 58

Odyssey Bird of Prey

I hear ya, but I prefer a smaller driver as well. But it seems it's 430 and over only these days. 

Play what you like or works. A pro golfer i like the videos off plays with G410 irons. She's a hell of a player, says that that's what works best for her. 

Home bag: Driver: Titleist 910D3 9.5o; ; 3h: Nickent 3ds; 5h: Acer 5h; Irons: Srixon Z355 5-pw, AW: Taylormade RSi (50o); SW: Titleist 65o; Putter: Wilson

Travel bag: 3w: Nike Covert 2; 4h: TM M1 ('17) ; MD Golf 7i & 9i, PW: McGregor PW; LB: Cleveland 60o; Putter: Spalding Pro Flite

Even some of the best players in the world play a game improvement iron for their longest iron.  i remember that Zach Johnson played an AP1 4-iron for years.

I can play AP2 from 8-iron to PW, and sometimes the 7-iron.  I don't think that it makes much difference in short irons in terms of playability.  But I can't get the ball up in the air as easily with an AP2 5-iron or 6-iron, so I play AP1 in those irons.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

I've played this game for about 30 years now, and have watched Drivers increase in size from my initial Taylor Made Burner (not the bubble shaft one, the one before that) all the way up to the 460cc monstrosities we see today. For me 460cc is just too big and I feel like I lose accuracy with them - not because of any particular issue with the club, but I can't help swinging out of my shoes with them, whereas with smaller drivers it's a bit more controlled - closer to how I hit my irons (never more than 95% of full whack).

All my most successful Drivers have been sub 460cc - TM R300, Great Big Bertha, Covert Tour, 917 D3, my current TS4. I did have some success with the Nike SQ 460 Tour, but I think that was due to the small "lip" at the back of the clubhead making it look smaller than it actually was. When I was fit for the TS4, it beat out the 460cc alternatives for both distance and consistency, and by quite a large margin.

Weird game, innit? 🙂

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85X, A1 Setting

Brooksie - Nike Vapor Fly Pro 2 iron - KBS C-Taper 120S

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - PW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

Frankenwedge - Nike SV 52-10, DG Wedge Flex, Much Lead Tape

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - TaylorMade TP Ardmore 3, 34 inch.

As a guy who plays smaller irons, at least in the form of Golden Rams, I like to play smaller drivers.  I wish there were more options than something like the M1 430; 430cc doesn't seem like it's much smaller.  The A Grind Classic is intriguing at 350cc, but I don't feel like paying $400 for the clubhead, if it's even still available.  I'm cheap, what can I say?

Sadly, it seems I missed out by a few hours on a head-only Original One in 11.5* loft.  Found it last evening, but it was already on its way back out the door.  I wouldn't mind trying one of those, I've got a few shafts I could plug into it, and with a couple TM adapters lying around, I could put together a couple more.  

Oh well

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: Original One 11.5* (tuned down), Motore Speeder 6.3 TS X -or- Fly-Z+, Matrix 7m3 X, 43.5" 

3w: King LTD, Aldila RIP Beta 90 X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour, BiMatrix Proto Lime X
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour 2h or 3h, NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4; 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; PM Grind 19 58*; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional, TaylorMade TP5, Kirkland Signature v3.2

GripMaster Roo or Kidd leather grips

50 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

The A Grind Classic is intriguing at 350cc, but I don't feel like paying $400 for the clubhead, if it's even still available.  I'm cheap, what can I say?

I play a KZG SP700 driver, which I believe is 360 CC. Great looking and performing head.

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

If the sweet spot was in the center of the face as say the Tommy Armour ti had it would be hard to hit them off the fairway.  Always a thin shot right?  But thanks to modern materials and design th sweet spot is in a playable space, at least on my irons.  

Kinda wonder if the same discussion is taking place over at the tennis courts.  I could spin the ball with my old Maxfly fort wooden racquet but these oversized graphite designs make that impossible.     

Sim max 10.5° ventus red r
Ping 5 wood G410 Alta s 
Ping G710 DG 105 R300 4-U 

Cleveland RTX zipcore Raw 52°
Cleveland RTX zipcore Raw 56°
Cleveland RTX zipcore Raw 60º 

Mizuno M-Craft V

tp5x

All personal, of course...my experience:

Played to an OK standard (low double digit hcp), was playing for a few years with Ping Eye 2 and Steelhead X-12 irons in the late 90s.  I could hit them high and far BUT I found it very, very hard to control distance, whether hitting full shots or chipping/pitching.  With full shots, sometimes the ball would fly 10%-20% long. 

Found a set of 1972 Hogan Apex irons for $35 at a 2nd-hand sports store.  Put those into play.   That was the first time I got down to single digit hcp.  Could NOT hit them high and far but distance dispersion was much more consistent.

Played with those irons for years.  Recently bought some used Mizuno MP68s and now playing 5-PW in that set, sometimes swap 4i for 22hybrid on windy days on firm courses. 

I am an 8 hcp, 56 yo, don't have high swing speed. 

One big thing is that we don't just hit full shots off of flat, perfect lies.  Lots of knock-downs, punches, chips, pitches, scrambling from under trees and from weird lies required to turn 3 shots into 2.  For me, all of that has been easier to do with a more blade-like iron.

• Like 1
On 10/21/2020 at 8:10 AM, 2Down said:

I play a big driver, ping g410+.  Wondered how many play a large headed driver and play a draw or fade off the tee but when they pull an iron it’s some blade size thing so they can “work” the ball.  

Recently I put G710 in the bag and answered my question for myself.  They feel different for sure but I am quickly adapting to only bringing the putter with me to the green.  

Why do you play G710 when you can have bigger, longer, more forgiving hybrids throughout the bag?

On 10/21/2020 at 5:15 PM, EBE-GOLFIN said:

PLAYING BIG equipment... I just realized I've gone really BIG.. Not only BIG with the irons, but also with the putter....  Has actually happen by circumstance. 

Driver         just like all of us -  460cc - Ping 410

Irons, by circumstance. Was playing the Titleist T200s. long from heal to toe but wouldn't classify as BIG. Short date with TM 790TI (titanium)..  Worst irons I've ever owned. And I've probably had 35 sets of irons in my life.  Club Champion gave me the 30 day playability return. So had to get $2600.00 dollars worth. Demo'ed the Epon 706's. They are BIG every way; tall, long & FAT sole. Loved my demo sessions with them. Feel, distance, height and ALL the other numbers. What the heck, if they don't work Ill see um on Ebay.  One month in and I'm playing my best iron game in the last 10 plus years. 

Putter, LAB GOLF --  Direct Force 2.1 ----     I'll just say, it looks like a space ship has landed on the green. I think its gonna be around for awhile. !!!! ???

I might need a BIGGER golf bag.       FOREEEE

I get the point you are trying to make but for the record the the 410 is 455cc

Why not hybrids? 

For one my 710 are larger than my hybrid.
I’m thinking crossover.    

Edited by 2Down
Fix a screwup which a quote

Sim max 10.5° ventus red r
Ping 5 wood G410 Alta s 
Ping G710 DG 105 R300 4-U 

Cleveland RTX zipcore Raw 52°
Cleveland RTX zipcore Raw 56°
Cleveland RTX zipcore Raw 60º 

Mizuno M-Craft V

tp5x

From a percentage perspective I think the added forgiveness in larger irons is massively overstated.  A high toe hit on a 460cc driver can result in a playable second from the fairway. There’s no iron in the world that helps with similar contact.

I have no scientific evidence to back this up

Callaway Rogue 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 19* Hybrid
Srixon Z U45 23* Utility
Srixon ZX7 5 - AW
Cleveland RTX Zipcore Mid Grind 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

15 hours ago, 2Down said:

Why not hybrids? 

For one my 710 are larger than my hybrid.
I’m thinking crossover.    

You must be playing a tiny Hybrid, because any hybrid is going to have higher MOI than an iron.  I hit a friend's Ping G10 years ago and they were awful.

Edited by forrester_fire

Yep - me. 

I prefer more forgiving woods and less forgiving irons. For me Driver is a two dimensional club. It's about Start line and shape. A larger higher MOI driver (typically with a heavier lower torque shaft) allows me to swing "through" the ball easier. The higher MOI produces a higher flight, more spin, more stability and the most IMPORTANT thing - a more subtle shot shape. I simply DO NOT hit big hooks with my PING G driver that I used to hit with my TM m3. Ultimately I really don't care how far the driver goes. if I make good contact and hit my line and shape I'll have an opportunity to score. 

The irons are there for a similar reason but iron play to me is 3 dimensional. It's line, shape and distance. If you put a larger headed iron in my hands I have less confidence hitting a green than I do with a blade. I will start to miss left more. The flight will get higher and the dispersion will expand. If I'm 180 out from the green and my 7i usually goes 175. I KNOW I can hit the 7 as hard as I can and it's not going to go 190 over the green. If it flush it, I know it's a good shot immediately. If I miss it I know it's short immediately. Give me some PING g irons and I'll lose all feel for turf interaction, shot shaping, and distance control. 

On 10/21/2020 at 8:36 AM, pinestreetgolf said:

1. Hitting a straight shot is much more difficult than hitting a curving shot.  You are absolutely trying to work the ball (and in the most difficult manner possible) by aiming straight.  All "working the ball" means is how much sidespin versus backspin versus ball-speed you impact given a certain swing velocity.  Hitting it straight requires 0.0 sidespin.  That's incredibly hard, much harder than draw/hook spin or cut/slice spin.  The idea that, as a "weaker" player at 14, you should avoid working the ball is nuts.  It would be much easier for you to pick a shot shape and hit it.

2. There are huge blades/players cavity backs in existence.  You don't need to go to the 710 to play a big iron.  j40.  j40 dpc.  j15.  i500. Etc...

That's an interesting concept that I need to look into.  All my golf life my general iron shots have been either dead straight or pushes or pulls.  I don't have a reliable left to right or right to left shot that would allow me to plan for taking one side out of play.   

PING G410 PLUS 9*
PING G400 5-wood
PING G410 22*
Srixon ZX5 5-PW

Cleveland Black Satin CBX 2 48*

Cleveland Black Satin CBX 2 52*
Cleveland CBX 2 56*

Cleveland 588 Tour Action Raw 60*
Cleveland Frontline Elevado
Titleist ProV1x

I never seen a toe hit carry as far on a player club compared to a GI or an SGI, just saying. 

Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 set to 9.5
3 Wood Epic Flash set to 16 degrees
3-5 Hybrids Epic Flash 18 20 23 degrees
6 hybrid Big Bertha 26 degree 
7-AW Callaway Mavrik Irons 
50 degree GW Vokey SM7
56 degree SW Vokey SM7
Odyssey White Hot V-Line Fang