Q-Star Tour ball

cristphoto

5 minutes ago, xkilgorextroutx said:

Just took a peek and wow that's pretty bad. I wonder how many balls they actually went through?

They purchase 3-dozen at retail for the test.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo Belly No Belly

I got a free sleeve of these at a TheGrint Tour event a few weeks ago.  Good to know I have something to blame in case I play poorly with them, lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cobra Radspeed (10)

Cobra F8+ (14.5, 19)

Cobra King Tec Hybrid (24)

Cobra Forged Tour (5-PW)

Cobra Black (50, 54)

Cobra Black Snakebite (58)

PING Heppler Fetch

Snell MTB Black

I think they should contact Srixon and see why the balls are so far off.

Hard to believe that this is SOP for Srixon. 

Being such a large company with deep pockets and knowing how in the Far East your name and reputation carries so much weight that this is the norm.  Just dont see it part of their corporate culture.

• Like 1

I have had good luck with this ball but after reading the article, I may be restocking my shelf with only Snell.  

Driver _____ Ping G400 Max
Woods ____ Ping G410 3 & 5, Cleveland XL HALO 7
Hybrids ___ Titleist 818H1 5H
Irons ______ Titleist T300 6-GW
Wedges ___ Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08F & 56.10S
Putter _____ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife 2-Bar w/ Nickel Putter Golf Ball Pick-Up
Ball _______  Titleist ProV1 Yellow
Distance __ GPS:  Bushnell Phantom 2,  Rangefinder:  Precision Pro NX7 Pro
GHIN ______ HCP floats between 10 and 12

38 minutes ago, cristphoto said:

I typically play the ProV1 but switch to the Z-Star when on sale.  The Z-Star reviewed by the same site last year was one of their top quality balls.  Its made in Japan while the QST is made in Indonesia.  It will be interesting to see the response from Srixon.  

I have always wondered about the quality control of the QST. Same construction and materials as the ZStar, but a lower price. So, what gives?

I doubt that Srixon just decided to take a lower margin on the QST. It has to be cheaper to produce than the ZStar.

Looks like thanks to MGS, we now have a potential answer.

I'll also add, I have six boxes of ZStar & ZStar XVs in my golf closet. All were made in Indonesia. 

Edited by TheBear95

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*

9 minutes ago, TheBear95 said:

I have always wondered about the quality control of the QST. Same construction and materials as the ZStar, but a lower price. So, what gives?

I doubt that Srixon just decided to take a lower margin on the QST. It has to be cheaper to produce than the ZStar.

Looks like thanks to MGS, we now have a potential answer.

Hopefully they follow it up with a Z-Star test. 

The results were awful and it's hard to see this not damaging Srixon's reputation. 

it will be interesting to see the manufacturer's response.  Really surprising that so many balls were out of round, that seems really basic to me that balls should all be the same shape and size.  

Ping G400 max
Ping G410 5 wood
Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311 P w/accra  5-gap 
54* & 58* PXG Forged
PXG Operator H w/ BGT stability tour shaft or  SIK FLO C with LAGP shaft

8 minutes ago, MMB1500 said:

Hopefully they follow it up with a Z-Star test. 

The results were awful and it's hard to see this not damaging Srixon's reputation. 

Yeah, if MGS were smart, they would publish the ZStar test next Wednesday for their ball series. I bet interest would be high from guys (like me) who play the ZStar.

That said, I bet the ZStar grades out well in their test. Like I said above, something had to give on the QST. 

Also, all my ZStars I have currently (six boxes) were produced in Indonesia. Frankly, I can't recall a box that I purchased over the past five years that wasn't. So, I'm not sure the issue with the QST had to due with where it was made.

Caveat, of course, is if the ZStar does well in the test. If not, then we know that quality control is a company-wide issue, not just specific to one model that might be sacrificing QC in order to hit a certain price-point.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*

just got rid of my last Z-star XV a couple of weeks ago.  I bought a dozen to test them out.  Never liked them.  I liked the z-star more, but the ball seemed shorter than others I had tried.  Will not play another Srixon ball because of this.  Bad QC is bad QC.  Would never be able to trust the QC on their more premium line

Edited by jpbova

Gunga Galunga Golf - Golf Photography

13 hours ago, rwbloom93 said:

I don't put much weight in anything the S*G*M guys do....but I'm skeptical by nature, especially of grandiose conclusions(they ALWAYS make) of any small "test(s)" they perform.

The two big issues with the QSTARTour as reported:   

1. "Roundness"

2.  Concentricity

Regarding #1,  S*G*M fails to tell the reader what the "generous" standard used for roundness is and how they derived that standard. For example, what if the standard is no more than +/-0.0050" measured at the seam vs. the pole of any golf ball.   What if 36 percent of the QST's were 0.0051"...that equals failure, ok.  As a comparison, when they tested the TP5, 100% were within their standard but what if all the TP5's were 0.0049"?  Does the 2/10,000ths really mean one ball is "bad" and the other is "good" in performance?....after all, none of them are truly round (in my example).  A reader asked S*G*M to show (through testing) that the 36% not living up to the "generous" standard has an adverse effect on performance....but of course they deflected as they always do and refer the reader back to the April 2019 robot test. The point is they haven't published the standard used or the actual measurements taken for each ball brand. We are blindly supposed to rely on their conclusions?

Regarding #2, S*G*M acknowledges this is just an eye test (no measurements) from the cuts they make(hopefully truly "centered" cuts). They also acknowledge the QstarTour has such a thin cover, and the mantle is nearly the same color as the cover, so it is a challenge to determine concentricity. But again this is just eyeball stuff, when challenged by a reader, they defended the conclusions stating "experts" do it that way also (or something like that). They don't name the "experts".

If you play the QST and play it well, I wouldn't change because of something these guys conclude based on such a small sample and the little actual info given the reader. Maybe the QST does have QC issues, but we haven't been provided enough actual measurements to decide.

Best Regards

Excellent reply!  Need facts and when something is so small/thin your eye cant be the judge.  

Knowing Srixon and the quality of their products I dont believe they would skimp of the ball and ignore any QA procedures.

I'm not buying into the eyeball test...

14 hours ago, rwbloom93 said:

If you play the QST and play it well, I wouldn't change because of something these guys conclude based on such a small sample and the little actual info given the reader. Maybe the QST does have QC issues, but we haven't been provided enough actual measurements to decide.

I'm not a huge fan of theirs BUT as noted above thanks to another poster, they test 3 dozen balls all purchased retail. We as reader can't look at the results from the ProV1 and say "yeah we knew Titleist was great!" and then look at these results and say "Oh well, we don't know everything so let's take it all with a grain of salt".

If you actually read the article, there's plenty of solid info provided along with pics. I know they're not well liked here for some of the attitude they give but their testing is well regarded by OEMs. 

• Like 3

I've been playing these all year, and haven't noticed any issues with them.

I agree, that actual numbers from these tests would give them a lot more credibility.

Srixon Z545 8.5° - Attas 11 7S
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 3 iron)

Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport (1998) - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

2 hours ago, xkilgorextroutx said:

I'm not a huge fan of theirs BUT as noted above thanks to another poster, they test 3 dozen balls all purchased retail. We as reader can't look at the results from the ProV1 and say "yeah we knew Titleist was great!" and then look at these results and say "Oh well, we don't know everything so let's take it all with a grain of salt".

If you actually read the article, there's plenty of solid info provided along with pics. I know they're not well liked here for some of the attitude they give but their testing is well regarded by OEMs. 

I actually read the article, concentricity is eyeball only (no measurements), roundness is a measurement but they fail to tell us how they determine roundness and they fail to provide the actual ball measurements.

Again, they might be right, QST may have quality issues but they haven't actually provided the reader with the data to examine, they simply want the reader to trust them.  You can chose to trust their conclusions, it's up to you.  I can see why others wouldn't.  I don't play the QST enough on the course to have an opinion but their articles leave a lot to be desired based on their grandiose conclusions.

Paraphrasing a great book..."Anyone can make a sound and just argument, until they are cross examined" .

Regards

I have two six-packs of the 2019 Q-Star Tour from a February golf expo. Haven't played them yet.

The outer box lists Dunlop/Japan for manufacturing.

Those who suggest that Srixon is "cutting corners" on the Q-Star Tour might compare the Q and Z specs. Q-Star Tour costs $34 and is three-piece, while the Z-Stars cost $40 and are four-piece. The extra Z layer adds to the cost of production. Both Q and Z have urethane covers.

Also, I can't seem to google up the MGS testing article on the three dozen Q-Stars. Earlier MGS articles mention the Q vs. Z options, but non talked about the round and cutting tests.

A link would have been helpful (unless this violates WRX usage protocols).

Edited by ChipNRun

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

49 minutes ago, rwbloom93 said:

I actually read the article, concentricity is eyeball only (no measurements), roundness is a measurement but they fail to tell us how they determine roundness and they fail to provide the actual ball measurements.

Again, they might be right, QST may have quality issues but they haven't actually provided the reader with the data to examine, they simply want the reader to trust them.  You can chose to trust their conclusions, it's up to you.  I can see why others wouldn't.  I don't play the QST enough on the course to have an opinion but their articles leave a lot to be desired based on their grandiose conclusions.

Paraphrasing a great book..."Anyone can make a sound and just argument, until they are cross examined" .

Regards

If their conclusions were good enough for Callaway and their engineers, then their test results overall are good enough for me.

You are set on not believing them because of the site that put together the testing and methodology. So be it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChipNRun said:

I have two six-packs of the 2019 Q-Star Tour from a February golf expo. Haven't played them yet.

Those who suggest that Srixon is "cutting corners" on the Q-Star Tour might compare the Q and Z specs. Q-Star Tour costs $34 and is three-piece, while the Z-Stars cost $40 and are four-piece. The extra Z layer adds to the cost of production. Both Q and Z have urethane covers.

Also, I can't seem to google up the MGS testing article on the three dozen Q-Stars. Earlier MGS articles mention the Q vs. Z options, but non talked about the round and cutting tests.

I don't make the rules around here.  Yes, it violates the protocols.  

59 minutes ago, xkilgorextroutx said:

If their conclusions were good enough for Callaway and their engineers, then their test results overall are good enough for me.

You are set on not believing them because of the site that put together the testing and methodology. So be it. 

Keep in mind, they presented photographic evidence of extremely significant core centricity issues that in no way could be ignored or refuted when it came to Callaway.

2 hours ago, ChipNRun said:

The Z-star is a 3-piece.  The Z-Star XV is a 4-piece.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rwbloom93 said:

Regards

For their roundness test they use a ball roundness gauge (industrial model - not the $2 Golf Galaxy gauge).  They then measure on 3 different axis's.  If I recall the QST are the only balls to show failures.  The 3 or 4 other balls tested showed 0 defects for this test.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cristphoto said:

For their roundness test they use a ball roundness gauge (industrial model - not the $2 Golf Galaxy gauge).  They then measure on 3 different axis's. 

But they neglect to tell you what their "generous standard" is.

If they're not going to give you numbers, you have no idea how out of round they actually are.

Srixon Z545 8.5° - Attas 11 7S
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 3 iron)

Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport (1998) - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

13 hours ago, ChipNRun said:

The extra Z layer adds to the cost of production. 

The extra layer between the Z-Star and Z-Star XV is negligible from a cost production standpoint. Pennies per ball if that. Srixon sells their Z-Star line at the same price points. No price difference even when they sell their Z-Star line for $20/dozen. Same deal for Titleist, Bridgestone, Taylormade, Callaway, etc, etc. It's economy of scale.

Using your logic/theory that extra layers between golf balls costs more doesn't that mean that the entire current TM TP5 line should be more expensive than every other golf ball produced today?

Or Maxfli under the DSG/GG banner had the 6 layer U/6 and U/6x balls a few years back. Based on 6 layers shouldn't they have been the most expensive golf ball? 

Edited by grm24