Best small 3 wood

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Okay...here goes... Sonartec SS03 Sonartec GS14 Adams 5050 Adams 4060 Bridgestone J33 

Take a test run with the Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 3 wood,  Compact and true performer. Exceptional club.

TaylorMade M3 3 wood. 139cc.

4 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

I still have my tour issue r7 ale 13 degree that I will periodically take out on the course for craps and giggles.  It's one of the best small 3 metals IMO and used to be my fairway finder. 

One of my all time favorites! Had a R7 TP HFS TI model that was so clutch for a long time. It finally caved. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, extrastiff said:

modern wood heads are not responsible for low bullets, technique (along with a bit of loft and shaft profile) is what u want

that being said, f8+, f9 tour, speedback or zone tour. . .

OP u were spot on, cobra is the only small one worth bying and it will knock a couple hundred rpm off with that front weight placement

Had the F8+ , F9 tour and Big Tour(its healthy) and the f9 tour seemed to be the smallest , more shallow profile but still produced low launch / low spin for the bullet balls. While they were good , I wouldn't say they were the only ones worth buying. Lot of good fairways out there. Hardest thing in the bag for me to get just right. 

Honestely I cannot find a fairway that goes high. I smothered the ball for so many years I deloft everything.  I hit a Sldr 5hl yesterday just high enough to cut shrubs. 

If I could I would love to give this issue away to you OP.  It sucks but I do play well in the wind at least.

WITB
- TI M3 - 10.5 w/ Haz Black or Tour Issued Matrix Black Tie S+
- TI SLDR Mini 16* w/ Tp6HD tipped/butted S+
- Tour Issued m1 5w w/ Diamana D+ 75s
-  Tour Issue m2 5hl w/ Proto 80x  /  GAPR 3hi 80s 

-  MPh5 4-5, MP25 6-p w/CTapers 120s
- Tour Issue Cleveland CG12 52-58 r300 shafts (I must be old)
- Putters = Testing Everything and Anything to try and improve.

Golf is what you make of it.  Play grateful and accepting. We are all lucky to have it!

1 minute ago, Ben Berube said:

Honestely I cannot find a fairway that goes high. I smothered the ball for so many years I deloft everything.  I hit a Sldr 5hl yesterday just high enough to cut shrubs. 

If I could I would love to give this issue away to you OP.  It sucks but I do play well in the wind at least.

Rough task when delofting for sure. But , anything that's a shallower profile , should help, no? 

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, klausdude said:

Okay...here goes...

Sonartec SS03

Sonartec GS14

Adams 5050

Adams 4060

Bridgestone J33 

4060 is top three all time for me. It's been so long since I had one I forgot all about them. 

WITB Thread

TSi3 9* / Ventus Black 7x

TSi2 16.5* / Ventus Black 8x

TSi2 21* / Ventus Red 9x

T100•s 4-9 / DG X7

SM8 46 / DG X7

SM8 50, 54, 58 / DG TI X1

Squareback 2 - One and Done - ER5

An old school Callaway S2H2 might fit the bill.  Duval & Couples used them back in the day.

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 52 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

16 hours ago, OSUBuckeyeFan8 said:

TaylorMade 2016 M2 deep face is another good option if you can find one. Pretty sure Koepka is still gaming his. I think TM has also released some 'small' tour head options in their most recent fairway options you can find on that auction site or maybe from Will Peoples. 

Bingo. Astoundingly good. 

Edited by Qegurezi
13 hours ago, golffeen007 said:

Had the F8+ , F9 tour and Big Tour(its healthy) and the f9 tour seemed to be the smallest , more shallow profile but still produced low launch / low spin for the bullet balls. While they were good , I wouldn't say they were the only ones worth buying. Lot of good fairways out there. Hardest thing in the bag for me to get just right. 

I just meant they are the smallest that the big companies make. My main point is all fairway woods can be manipulated to produce low flights if the player is good enough, so the only one “worth” the OP purchasing is the only one that pleases his “smallest” requirement if necessary, plus they can still be found easily on amazon and such. Going with the lower spinning head will just make it a little easier, along with low spin ball and shaft. 

Edited by extrastiff

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx 

Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 4,5 iron/x7 37”

Forged one length 5-pw/x7 wedge

Hi toe 54*11, 64*5/s400 wedge

Sik pro c/lagolf armlock

13 hours ago, golffeen007 said:

Rough task when delofting for sure. But , anything that's a shallower profile , should help, no? 

Thanks for the idea bro. I will try something like a Ping? My buddy gave me his m3 woods to try out.  Will work on a flatter swing too.

• Like 2

WITB
- TI M3 - 10.5 w/ Haz Black or Tour Issued Matrix Black Tie S+
- TI SLDR Mini 16* w/ Tp6HD tipped/butted S+
- Tour Issued m1 5w w/ Diamana D+ 75s
-  Tour Issue m2 5hl w/ Proto 80x  /  GAPR 3hi 80s 

-  MPh5 4-5, MP25 6-p w/CTapers 120s
- Tour Issue Cleveland CG12 52-58 r300 shafts (I must be old)
- Putters = Testing Everything and Anything to try and improve.

Golf is what you make of it.  Play grateful and accepting. We are all lucky to have it!

On 10/23/2020 at 9:08 AM, OSUBuckeyeFan8 said:

TaylorMade 2016 M2 deep face is another good option if you can find one. Pretty sure Koepka is still gaming his. I think TM has also released some 'small' tour head options in their most recent fairway options you can find on that auction site or maybe from Will Peoples. 

Had one of these with 12g of hot melt in it , holy grail of modern day 3w

Driver 9* Titleist Tsi3 BLK 6x tipped 1”  45.5” C2 3w Tsi3 15* B1 Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”2i 19.5* T-MB AD DI 105x (Tipped 2.5”)  Sans 2i R15 5w Fit on Pro 95XX (tipped 2.5”)Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) Tour Issue X100s (HSx1) lie angle 620mb std specs + .25 to .5” Vokey Wedge Works Sm8 D grind 54(@53*) bounce 12* | custom grind leading edge relief w/ Nippon 125 x + 1” lie angle 63* Sm8 K grind 58(@59*) low bounce 6* | custom grind heel relief w/ Nippon 125 x + 1” lie angle 63 | Bettinardi BB8 tri sole - 70* Lie angle 2* of loft Super Stroke GT 1.0
All woods & 2i hot melted, GP Tour Velvet . 580 Ping Hoofer 

On 10/23/2020 at 11:43 AM, klausdude said:

Okay...here goes...

Sonartec SS03

Sonartec GS14

Adams 5050

Adams 4060

Bridgestone J33 

I hit a J33 3 wood for at least 8 years. Literally played it until the face broke down and cracked on me. My favorite club in the bag for a very long time. The entire J33 line was solid though. Probably the best Bridgestone ever produced. 

3w’s are funny clubs anyway though. The tech hasn’t changed a lot, even as everything else has advanced. It’s also hard to get away from something reliable that you trust. I’m still playing an old X Hot Pro 13.5 to this day, although I have upgraded shafts twice. 

So small headed bullet baller as many mentioned, cobra f8+. I played one for over a year but it has since been replaced with a ping g410.  I find it a more flexible tool in my bag.  I’ve since gone pretty much all ping in the bag as the woods were so good for me.  

Sim max 10.5° ventus red r
Ping 5 wood G410 Alta s 
Ping G710 DG 105 R300 4-U 

mizuno T7 54° Bent to 52°
Ping glide stealth 54° es grind bent to 56°
Ping glide 2 58°. ES bent to 60°
Zebra - for the moment

tp5x

If you could find in good condition , adams xtd the grey head , it’s a small cannon . I went to a 906f2 bc that club the Adams was too long 

Driver 9* Titleist Tsi3 BLK 6x tipped 1”  45.5” C2 3w Tsi3 15* B1 Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”2i 19.5* T-MB AD DI 105x (Tipped 2.5”)  Sans 2i R15 5w Fit on Pro 95XX (tipped 2.5”)Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) Tour Issue X100s (HSx1) lie angle 620mb std specs + .25 to .5” Vokey Wedge Works Sm8 D grind 54(@53*) bounce 12* | custom grind leading edge relief w/ Nippon 125 x + 1” lie angle 63* Sm8 K grind 58(@59*) low bounce 6* | custom grind heel relief w/ Nippon 125 x + 1” lie angle 63 | Bettinardi BB8 tri sole - 70* Lie angle 2* of loft Super Stroke GT 1.0
All woods & 2i hot melted, GP Tour Velvet . 580 Ping Hoofer 

• 1 month later...
On 10/23/2020 at 2:46 PM, wakit300 said:

Find yourself a Cobra F9 Speedback - same thing as Speedzone but cheaper since it came out last year.  I love mine!

Any experience with the new SZ Tour head? Looking at that and love the shape and look...

Cobra SZ Driver, Aldila Rogue Silver 110 MSI, 60-X

Cobra Fly Z Fairway, UST Elements Fire, 7F5 

Cobra Fly Z Hybrid, Aldila Tour Blue ATX85H 2.3-X

Mizuno MP5 4-PW, True Temper X100

Cleveland RTX 3 50, 54, 60

Ping G2 Anser

Anyone playing two hybrids instead of fairways ie like a 17 degree hybrid turned down to 15.5 and then something say 19 / 20 degrees. Maybe a longer shaft in the 15.5

Cobra SZ Driver, Aldila Rogue Silver 110 MSI, 60-X

Cobra Fly Z Fairway, UST Elements Fire, 7F5 

Cobra Fly Z Hybrid, Aldila Tour Blue ATX85H 2.3-X

Mizuno MP5 4-PW, True Temper X100

Cleveland RTX 3 50, 54, 60

Ping G2 Anser

Some hybrids on the market are boarderline fairway wood headsize. Really blurring the definition. The Callaway super hybrid and cobra king OS hybrid are two examples. You can find some other 1 hybrids out there if you want something small. Also I’ve seen players hit 1 irons around the distance of a 3 wood. 

as for the smallest actual 3 wood, M2 tour is the smallest I’ve seen in a while. 

Edited by kiwii

I agree on the M2 Tour.  I gamed one briefly in 2017.  Missile launcher, but demanded a quality strike.

TaylorMade SIM2 10.5*, Ventus Black 6X 
TaylorMade SIM2 3W 15*, Ventus Blue 7X
TaylorMade SIM2 3H 19.5*, Ventus Blue 9X

Taylormade P770 4-5, P7MC 6-PW, DG TI X100
Titleist Vokey SM8 50F, 54S, 58M

TaylorMade Spider X
SM 4.5LS 14 Way

On 10/23/2020 at 5:51 PM, Puppetmaster said:

The Srixon F45 3W is 160ish cc but they have a fixed hosel F45 Tour from 3-4 years ago that was a Japanese release which was smaller, or so I thought. I have one, it definitely has a smaller footprint than most others on the market. 

...so it only you and me that have the right answer then(!!!), the Srixon F45 3 wood is just a super club, really small head and would tick all of the OP's boxes - usually a few on the 'bay, and they are nearly always in pretty good condition with a good range of Miyazaki shafts - you just need to make sure you have a tool for adjustments as Srixon have used their own system (until the recent launch as I understand it).

• Like 1