Morning Drive?

4 minutes ago, Mustard_Tiger said:

Thanks for posting. I've spent many an hour watching Golf Channel content from those studios. Living in a northern state it has always been a delight to watch the Golf Channel programming in the winter when I can't play the game. It's sad to see them close the building down. Connecticut isn't exactly the hotbed of golf.

Golf Channel made a ton of money at the end of their current TV deal and it was a pretty good channel until recently. I enjoyed the Big Break and Breed and the shows they would do at the range at events. Maybe they just stripped it down knowing that they were moving to CT. But I hope things get better. Sky Sports has better shows with far less money. Showcase your players like the European Tour does. Stop trying to protect them unnecessarily. It will be interesting to see what hosts don't make the move up north. I'm not away of any major on air personalities that aren't. 

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 Hybrid 18* (DI-95X)
Ping i20 3-UW (PXi 6.0, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wrong. My Mom watches every day. 

The move will give the network suits more opportunities to "manage" The Golf Channel so they can turn it into a swirling, steaming heap of poop, as they do with everything else on TV.

Exactly! She put money and career above her values. Only to speak up when she isn't benefitting anymore. She is a nightmare employee with all her radical liberal takes on Twitter. It was only a matter

Posted Images

5 hours ago, grm24 said:

Which is interesting as Sky Sports is owned by Comcast which also owns Golf Channel/NBC Universal.

The new PGA Tour contract is killing Golf Channel so far

Ping Vault Arna

2 hours ago, grm24 said:

The new PGA Tour contract has not started yet. The new television deal starts in 2022.

The reason they are cutting things now is because of what is coming up. They are consolidating by moving to CT. Golfchannel.com is transitioning to NBC Sports. Writers are losing their jobs. New content has ground to a halt.

Ping Vault Arna

Robert, I thought I remembered you saying that you were not moving up to CT. Is that true? Do you think that moving north will be a good thing for Morning Drive and Golf Channel?

Ping Vault Arna

4 minutes ago, RDD said:

Correct. I’m not going to CT. 
Time will tell if it’s good or not......

Will you continue on via zoom or whatever? How about the rest of the morning crew.....are they moving?

My senior bag.......

TM M2 9.5* driver reg
Callaway Rogue 3 & 5 fw woods reg
Callaway Rogue X 4,5,6 hybrids reg
Cobra F9 SL  6-g irons
Cobra King Black SL 56*
Ping CrazE putter
Datrex 15 way IDS cart bag - black

I have not watched the morning drive in years. Glad to know I have not missed anything. The Golf Channel other than when they have tournament play is a complete waste. How many times can you play "Tin Cup" before you wear out the tape?? 

• Like 2

Driver: Titleist TSi3 Ventus blue 7X

3 wood: Titleist Tsi3 16.5 Haz RDX black 70 X flex

& Wood: Titleist TSi2 Ventus Red 9X
Taylormade Gapr low 2 ventus blue 9x
4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
Wedges 50, 54, 60 Cleveland ZIPCORE
PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
BALL; Bridgestone BX, OR Taylomade TP5x PIX

Morning Drive switching names to “Golf Today.” Shane Bacon coming on board. Nice get for the Golf Channel.

On Tuesday the network announced the hiring of Shane Bacon, who will serve as a co-host for a new, live daily show, Golf Today. Fellow hosts are Damon Hack, Anna Whiteley and Jimmy Roberts. Bacon will also be a member of Golf Central Live From and will provide play-by-play commentary and reports during live tournament coverage.”

Assuming Gary Williams is not going to be there anymore. What about Cara Banks, Paige Mackenzie, Bailey Mosier, Lauren Thompson, Matt Adams, and Jaime Diaz? 

Edited by Holy Moses
  • Like 1

Ping Vault Arna

42 minutes ago, Holy Moses said:

Morning Drive switching names to “Golf Today.” Shane Bacon coming on board. Nice get for the Golf Channel.

On Tuesday the network announced the hiring of Shane Bacon, who will serve as a co-host for a new, live daily show, Golf Today. Fellow hosts are Damon Hack, Anna Whiteley and Jimmy Roberts. Bacon will also be a member of Golf Central Live From and will provide play-by-play commentary and reports during live tournament coverage.”

Assuming Gary Williams is not going to be there anymore. What about Cara Banks, Paige Mackenzie, Bailey Mosier, Lauren Thompson, Matt Adams, and Jaime Diaz? 

That is good news. I love Shane Bacon (I listen to his solo podcast and the one with Max Homa).

GC needs to stop trying to create content and realize golf is the content. they don't need to pay a bunch of talking heads in the studio to do shows all day tuesday or wed. set up a few cameras on the range pre tournament and pay one guy to occasionally walk around and discuss a swing change or quick interview with a few players. then just let the camera roll. golf fans tune in to watch golf. i know...shocking. yet tv producers seem to be the last ones who understand this. 

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

On 12/13/2020 at 4:33 PM, Holy Moses said:

Cool video from Brandel showing the Golf Channel facility. I thought Morning Drive used the same studio as Golf Central. Guess not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEDPCKgX54E

That might be my favorite thing Brandel has ever done. The undertone of some of his comments makes me wonder if he is finished there too.

I found it interesting when he was talking about Morning drive how he praised Gary Williams and Eric Kuselias, mentioned his now-wife Bailey being on it for years, but never mentioned Holly Sonders. My evil mind immediately started wondering if there was something there that ended badly. 🤫

2 hours ago, Holy Moses said:

Assuming Gary Williams is not going to be there anymore. What about Cara Banks, Paige Mackenzie, Bailey Mosier, Lauren Thompson, Matt Adams, and Jaime Diaz

I saw a tweet this morning from Ron Sirak that wasn't an outright goodbye, but sounded like he wasn't relocating and wasn't going to be on there now. I know Cara and her husband have relocated to Connecticut so I assume she will continue in some capacity. I am wondering about both Bailey and Brandel now as well. I think Paige is probably somewhat safe since they used her on the USWO coverage this past week. With the comment in the press release about Bacon doing PxP and Live From I wonder what that means for Rich Lerner. I think Bacon would be a good addition to NBC's tired golf commentator staff if that's where he ends up. Not so sure about the GC parts.

Edited by Greg_B
1 hour ago, Greg_B said:

That might be my favorite thing Brandel has ever done. The undertone of some of his comments makes me wonder if he is finished there too.

I found it interesting when he was talking about Morning drive how he praised Gary Williams and Eric Kuselias, mentioned his now-wife Bailey being on it for years, but never mentioned Holly Sonders. My evil mind immediately started wondering if there was something there that ended badly. 🤫

I was just going to say "remember when this started..." everyone was trying to clone PTI, had those two guys in a room with microphones that didn't even record or broadcast 

10 hours ago, Ironman_32 said:

I was just going to say "remember when this started..." everyone was trying to clone PTI, had those two guys in a room with microphones that didn't even record or broadcast 

I think it was Mike & Mike they were trying to clone.  Now, both Morning Drive and Mike & Mike are gone.

Edited by Mustard_Tiger
1 hour ago, FairwaysToHeaven said:

GC needs to stop trying to create content and realize golf is the content. they don't need to pay a bunch of talking heads in the studio to do shows all day tuesday or wed. set up a few cameras on the range pre tournament and pay one guy to occasionally walk around and discuss a swing change or quick interview with a few players. then just let the camera roll. golf fans tune in to watch golf. i know...shocking. yet tv producers seem to be the last ones who understand this. 

I second this. 

It is amazing that, GC is basically failing, yet they are scared to try anything new. Also, it seemed like everything they tried was somewhat half hearted or wasn't a right fit. Like, "lets make a 2 hour news show when we have 5 minutes of news everyday" or "copy reality shows about 'drama' but remove all the drama". I also felt they should have tilted to a younger audience on some stuff, almost go No Laying Up style at some point. 

I know they tried stuff with Big Break, That Inventor Show (?), The Build the Driver Show (?), Pipe Dream, On the Range

But, this is me spit balling, with everybody and their brother making a streaming service, just go full tilt and copy was others are doing

Shows like:

Last Chance U, but with golf

Following different up and coming players on tours, even mini tours

Have Tom Coyne do a show

License the Youtube Series that No Laying up does (heck, even copy what they do, get your own talent) 

Do something with the LPGA

Junior golf, players going into college

2 hours ago, Holy Moses said:

Well I for one will not miss Gary Williams a bit

• Like 1

Driver--- TM M-6 Evenflow 5.5R 45 gram

4W Adams Tight Lies 16* Bassara 55g R flex

5W Adams Tight Lies 19* Bassara 55g R flex

7W TM V Steel Diamana A Flex

9W ADP 24* Shaft unknown unmarked Found on scrap pile

Irons 5 thru PW Taylor Made TP CB Steelfiber 95 R

Gap Ben Hogan 50* KBS 90R Wedge

Sand Mizuno T-10 Black Nickel 56* DG Wedge shaft

Putter Scotty Cameron Santa Fe Bulls Eye Fluted shaft--- " Rusty"

Bag Old School Jones Classic non stand -- Old man has 5 head covers now

I'm ready for a change. Didn't hate the old line up but like anything else the same old same old becomes stale after a while. Look forward to a new format. 

My senior bag.......

TM M2 9.5* driver reg
Callaway Rogue 3 & 5 fw woods reg
Callaway Rogue X 4,5,6 hybrids reg
Cobra F9 SL  6-g irons
Cobra King Black SL 56*
Ping CrazE putter
Datrex 15 way IDS cart bag - black

5 hours ago, Greg_B said:

I saw a tweet this morning from Ron Sirak that wasn't an outright goodbye, but sounded like he wasn't relocating and wasn't going to be on there now. I know Cara and her husband have relocated to Connecticut so I assume she will continue in some capacity. I am wondering about both Bailey and Brandel now as well. I think Paige is probably somewhat safe since they used her on the USWO coverage this past week. With the comment in the press release about Bacon doing PxP and Live From I wonder what that means for Rich Lerner. I think Bacon would be a good addition to NBC's tired golf commentator staff if that's where he ends up. Not so sure about the GC parts.

From what I can gather, Brandel is moving to CT. Apart from televising Tour events, Brandel is the most important thing at the Golf Channel. They need him there.

Ping Vault Arna

It's like Woodward and Bernstein!  May or not be the case that RDD isn't going to feel comfortable or can't reveal or in some cases both what each and every person at GC may be doing with their personal lives and in or out of the studio.  Bet we'll all know pretty soon! 

I'm actually fired up for the Tiger and Charlie show this week and after that if we get golf in Hawaii to start the year and Morning Drive is back on the air in a consistent fashion to kick off 2021 that will be a great start to the new year!

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

It's like Woodward and Bernstein!  May or not be the case that RDD isn't going to feel comfortable or can't reveal or in some cases both what each and every person at GC may be doing with their personal lives and in or out of the studio.  Bet we'll all know pretty soon! 

I'm actually fired up for the Tiger and Charlie show this week and after that if we get golf in Hawaii to start the year and Morning Drive is back on the air in a consistent fashion to kick off 2021 that will be a great start to the new year!

Agreed. They are losing some talent though. I’m assuming Brandel and Lerner are moving up, but to lose Gary Williams, Ron Sirak, maybe Jaime Diaz, and other contributors is a loss. I don’t know if being closer to the mothership can overcome the losses. Jimmy Roberts is a big name, but he doesn’t have quite the golf pedigree that Jaime has (if Jaime is gone). 

• Like 1

Ping Vault Arna

22 minutes ago, Holy Moses said:

Agreed. They are losing some talent though. I’m assuming Brandel and Lerner are moving up, but to lose Gary Williams, Ron Sirak, maybe Jaime Diaz, and other contributors is a loss. I don’t know if being closer to the mothership can overcome the losses. Jimmy Roberts is a big name, but he doesn’t have quite the golf pedigree that Jaime has (if Jaime is gone). 

We all have our personal favorites for sure.  I think Roberts has a really golf pedigree, and seems like a good person, but he's kind of old news for me as a viewer - guess he lives closer, maybe they get more bang out of his present contract somehow with this, who knows, but kind of an underwhelming announcement, I mean Hack kind of towers over everybody except Cara, does Jimmy come up to his ribs (sorry, channeling some Randy Newman tonight)? He does like those quarter zips like Gary!  I liked the Arnold and Orlando vibe to the old show, kind of an ESPN Connecticut vibe may be too much to overcome for me, but I'll watch and give it a shot.

No way to read the minds of network programming "experts" - this could be Joanie Loves Chachi behind the 19th hole, or okay.