2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Morning Drive?

caniac6

No idea whether anything she is complaining about has merit, again time will tell if it is real.

To my valued associates suggesting that someone faced with alleged discrimination, workplace improprieties, whatever, has an obligation to remove themselves from their means of earning a living to then fight it out - no. Never.  Not wanting to start an argument about that, or get into why that kind of logic plays into the hands of every workplace perpetrator/enabler/you name it throughout the history of whatever wrongful acts you want to talk about, but just please pause and give it some thought.  Quitting one's job as a litmus test for the truth of what they claim to have experienced just isn't what should be advocated or encouraged, IMO.  The earlier suggestion that she wasn't making that much money anyway so what's the big deal if she quit was just silly.

In this case she said she worked within the system, raised her concerns.  Fair enough.  There is probably another side to it.  All that stuff was private, I'd be just as happy if it still was.  Unless you are truly headed to the courthouse or some other publicly found source for a remedy, I don't think you pop off in the press, but that's been a strategy since Socrates was on trial and so I'm sure getting on the podcast is the start of whatever "dance" may play out at some point.  

Some of what her attorney says is interesting, but who knows.  Sometimes people get in their own way, maybe she did.  

EDIT:  and if it's a difference in what some of us are talking about, I'm talking about actionable behavior, not just someone who feels mistreated but not illegally so.  Would agree completely if the company and someone who is unhappy but not the victim of illegal behavior can't see eye to eye then live with it or quit (but if it's not illegal, don't be complaining about it).  Maybe I'm crossing some signals.

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MUNIGRIT said:

Quite a few. SVP, Charles Davis , kuselias, Kelly T off the top of my head. It is an entry level TV job for most people. 

SVP, certainly.  I never understood what Davis knew about golf and I'm not sure now what he knows about football but he is certainly smooth and good on TV. Kuselias and Kelly T? Never saw them again after leaving GC. In the case of Kelly that was unfortunate as I always thought she was good. I got the impression she was pushed out. Maybe she is one of the unnamed women Lisa's attorney referred to, who knows.

Kuselias was basically lucky to get his job at GC after ESPN and he was reassigned by NBC, he didn't really leave voluntarily for better things.

I assume Kelly was just a victim of making too much money at some point, too bad, I liked her.

I barely remember Charles Davis - but he's in a better place.

I suppose GC kind of "made" Tommy Two Gloves until his game did the talking, but last I knew he still had to pay for it.

I caught some of the show at lunchtime - my reaction - I miss Paige and RDD.  

• Like 2

There seems to be something there that the Golf Channel did wrong. With that said, I was expecting more. Lisa and her lawyer struggled to give a reason why she was pushed out the door based on her gender. The lawyer gave a couple of things that were wrong to say to women which can be interpreted as somewhat a trend, but relatively minor nonetheless. To claim that this wasn't a budget issue, but an issue with Lisa when what, half the staff was cut, is not a particularly strong argument. I liked Lisa and will miss her and will be following this story.

I’m going to watch Golf Today when I get home, but it’s interesting to see the people who have always hated Morning Drive and have insisted something must be done now are hating Golf Today too. Give it some time.

• Like 3

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 50*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

11 minutes ago, Holy Moses said:

There seems to be something there that the Golf Channel did wrong. With that said, I was expecting more. Lisa and her lawyer struggled to give a reason why she was pushed out the door based on her gender. The lawyer gave a couple of things that were wrong to say to women which can be interpreted as somewhat a trend, but relatively minor nonetheless. To claim that this wasn't a budget issue, but an issue with Lisa when what, half the staff was cut, is not a particularly strong argument. I liked Lisa and will miss her and will be following this story.

I’m going to watch Golf Today when I get home, but it’s interesting to see the people who have always hated Morning Drive and have insisted something must be done now are hating Golf Today too. Give it some time.

I agree.  After listening to the podcast I'm struggling to understand what her actual legal and EEOC claims are.  

7 minutes ago, MUNIGRIT said:

What was Lisa and Brandel beef over?

She messed up a graphic on air and Brandel waved his arms at her in a demeaning and dismissive way

Ping Vault Arna

50 minutes ago, Holy Moses said:

She messed up a graphic on air and Brandel waved his arms at her in a demeaning and dismissive way

I'm about halfway through and I have yet to hear her make a decent argument for mistreatment of women. She doesn't like Brandel and he hurt her feelings waving his arms when she made a mistake and she is pissed that she didn't cover the Arkansas event that she felt entitled too. She comes across exactly like her social media profile so far. A complainer and PITA employee always looking to sue or whistleblow.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

I recorded Golf Today and watched most of it. I didn’t like it much but that needs to be qualified with (a) I hadn’t watched MD in recent times so I can’t say if this was better or worse, and (b) this isn’t the most exciting time of the year for golf.  NBC used this first show to give us a look at the Stamford facility, which Jimmy Roberts said was a 300,000 sq ft former Clairol shampoo factory (and looks very industrial inside, not at all like what was left behind in Orlando). They also got in plenty of plugs for Football Night in America and Premier League. 

I’m indifferent to Jimmy Roberts and Anna Whitely seems OK if not particularly distinctive. The production felt a little manufactured for want of a better term, with them frequently bringing in Brandel who was there in a different part of the studio from what I could tell, and Tripp Isenhower who seemed to be in front of a green screen somewhere else.  They had some taped segments with Bacon and Hack which looked out of place since they were taped on the same set as the live program. At least they kept Todd Lewis on board by sending him to Hawaii for the ToC.

I left it on for Golf Central, which at least has thankfully kept the same theme music. This one had Whitely and Jaime Diaz at the desk with Brandel and Tripp now in suits and ties on separate screens as before. Diaz is a good writer and handles interviews and conversations fine but always seems very uncomfortable speaking from a script, and this was no different. But overall this seemed less changed from the Orlando program except for the lack of sets other than the main desk. It wouldn’t hurt to build a secondary set with armchairs and a coffee table to give everyone a break from that desk.

It’ll be interesting to see how this evolves with time.  

Edited by Greg_B

I watched Golf Today and I thought it was OK. They have the studio set up so that there's only two on-air people on any one set at a time? Is that because of covid or covid regulations in CT? I'm assuming that Brandel and Jaime were at the new studio, but not in the same shot as Anna and Jimmy? 

Ping Vault Arna

15 minutes ago, Holy Moses said:

I watched Golf Today and I thought it was OK. They have the studio set up so that there's only two on-air people on any one set at a time? Is that because of covid or covid regulations in CT? I'm assuming that Brandel and Jaime were at the new studio, but not in the same shot as Anna and Jimmy? 

Right now they just have the single desk as a set although there seems to be enough room in the studio for smaller subsets. Roberts said they had two studios, one of their own and one that they are sharing with Football Night in America. It’s possible they haven’t finished building them yet.

I figured that Brandel was in the same location since he was sitting in the same white desk chairs that Anna and Jimmy were using. Tripp seemed to be somewhere else. When Golf Central started it was Anna and Jaime at the desk with Brandel and Tripp always in solo shots from other locations.

23 minutes ago, Greg_B said:

Right now they just have the single desk as a set although there seems to be enough room in the studio for smaller subsets. Roberts said they had two studios, one of their own and one that they are sharing with Football Night in America. It’s possible they haven’t finished building them yet.

I figured that Brandel was in the same location since he was sitting in the same white desk chairs that Anna and Jimmy were using. Tripp seemed to be somewhere else. When Golf Central started it was Anna and Jaime at the desk with Brandel and Tripp always in solo shots from other locations.

They knew they were moving to CT months and months ago and they haven't finished building the set yet?

Edited by Holy Moses

Ping Vault Arna

1 minute ago, Holy Moses said:

They knew they were moving to CT month and months ago and they haven't finished building the set yet?

That was a guess on my part. If they had multiple sets I figured Roberts would have showed them during his studio tour. The only other set they showed was a set-up piece with Whitely on the set with the Premier League hosts.  

10 minutes ago, Holy Moses said:

They knew they were moving to CT month and months ago and they haven't finished building the set yet?

Hard to get a lot done when almost no employees are in the building due to covid.  

• Like 1

T Bone Steak, Cheese Eggs, and Welch's Grape

Taylormade Stealth 2+ - MCA Kai'li Blue 60s

Callaway Epic Speed 3w & 5w - Project X HZRDUS Smoke im10 70s 

Taylormade '21 P790 4-gw - MCA MMT 105s

Taylormade Hi Toe 2 Raw 54, 58 - Aldila NV Black 105s

Wilson Staff Infitinte Buckingham

Srixon Z Star 🔷

I didn't realize how big the new building is. If the Golf Channel was the only studio show not at headquarters, it totally makes sense to move back to the mothership to save on costs. 

Ping Vault Arna

I have some ideas, but hell, this discussion is like a private club when they decide to update the course or clubhouse.

350 golf course designers and architects....

Remember that you have to understand why the network does what it does. It has nothing to do with quality or a cause. It’s all about what will cost the least and bring in the most advertising dollars.

It’s a profit deal!

bought out by private equity.

capitalization, grammar and reasoning slashed as a cost reduction.

It was finally up and I could listen to the whole thing.  Cheap seats impressions:

1. She ticked off the wrong people over a couple of incidents that were probably not examples of how to treat people in the workplace, but not with any apparent gender based motive.

2. The Mizuno thing is another example of that - just because it involved an LPGA player doesn't make that a "woman" issue in legal terms.

3. She's got something if all of these other examples, and they would IMO have to include the person in charge she was claiming to have issues with (the two cited by her attorney were troubling, one was clearly gender inappropriate), and there would have to be quite a lot of them, establish the kind of culture that allows the inference that the alleged mistreatment she received was gender based.

4. The husband-wife thing - yep, an HR accident waiting to happen, but not enough known at this point on how that played out.

Listening to her I was becoming convinced they wanted her out and that's life in the corporate world (and that probably is the gist of what some on here were driving at with comments), but the No Laying Up guy had her attorney pipe up and he was pretty balanced and clearly feels there is a lot more to the case (and frankly there would have to be).  

It's almost like she's sort of backed into a what may be a legitimate case and if so, NBC has only itself to blame for having certain people in positions of leadership.  

Going to take quite a bit to establish the sort of culture that would be needed to make her case, so I guess we still wait to see how that plays out.  If she is still waiting for an EEOC determination, then it's a matter of that playing out - for example, she can't sue until that process runs its course.  Her attorney sure sounds like she's ready to file a lawsuit whenever that option becomes available, if so the federal complaint may be a good read.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Soloman1 said:

I have some ideas, but hell, this discussion is like a private club when they decide to update the course or clubhouse.

350 golf course designers and architects....

Remember that you have to understand why the network does what it does. It has nothing to do with quality or a cause. It’s all about what will cost the least and bring in the most advertising dollars.

It’s a profit deal!

So every time Brandel moves those hands he's shaking the moneymaker!

Edited by Hawkeye77

22 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

It was finally up and I could listen to the whole thing.  Cheap seats impressions:

1. She ticked off the wrong people over a couple of incidents that were probably not examples of how to treat people in the workplace, but not with any apparent gender based motive.

2. The Mizuno thing is another example of that - just because it involved an LPGA player doesn't make that a "woman" issue in legal terms.

3. She's got something if all of these other examples, and they would IMO have to include the person in charge she was claiming to have issues with (the two cited by her attorney were troubling, one was clearly gender inappropriate), and there would have to be quite a lot of them, establish the kind of culture that allows the inference that the alleged mistreatment she received was gender based.

4. The husband-wife thing - yep, an HR accident waiting to happen, but not enough known at this point on how that played out.

Listening to her I was becoming convinced they wanted her out and that's life in the corporate world (and that probably is the gist of what some on here were driving at with comments), but the No Laying Up guy had her attorney pipe up and he was pretty balanced and clearly feels there is a lot more to the case (and frankly there would have to be).  

It's almost like she's sort of backed into a what may be a legitimate case and if so, NBC has only itself to blame for having certain people in positions of leadership.  

Going to take quite a bit to establish the sort of culture that would be needed to make her case, so I guess we still wait to see how that plays out.  If she is still waiting for an EEOC determination, then it's a matter of that playing out - for example, she can't sue until that process runs its course.  Her attorney sure sounds like she's ready to file a lawsuit whenever that option becomes available, if so the federal complaint may be a good read.

Settlement and payout. She definitely has enough for that. 

7 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Listening to her I was becoming convinced they wanted her out and that's life in the corporate world

Yes, it's hard to disagree with any of that. It seemed to me that after she went to Russell with her Chamblee complaint and had no agreeable (to her) result, that began the downward trajectory for her there. Of course even aside from what she states is the friendship between Chamblee and Russell, giving that complaint the silent treatment as she alleges was not the way to handle it. But she seemed to then connect what happened subsequently to that, which may or may not be true. By the time of the Mizuno incident that relationship was fractured, and she broke it completely by refusing to speak with Russell at that point. I don't see that myself as a gender-related thing either (although obviously I was not there to say for sure) but since she was covering a lot of women's golf at that point she is interpreting it that way.

I don't know what the standard of evidence is for EEOC complaints but to me it seems not all that much different from a hypothetical situation where a male on-air person who had the rep of being difficult to deal with went off on a manufacturer/sponsor and got into hot water.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Holy Moses said:

Lisa on on NLU

I listened to the whole podcast and it sounded to me like there were instances where she was mistreated, but nothing that rose to the level of discrimination/harrassment, etc. As a lawyer (though not one that practices in workplace discrimination and with no information about what happened here), my guess is they at least feel like they have specifics that make it clear to them at least, that GC categorically mistreated women, but not the men. Because of any ongoing dispute, my guess is they weren't going to share that info. 

I bet we haven't heard the last of this. And of course there are always multiple sides to every story. We may find out that she's dead on in her allegations, or it may end up that she's a bitter ex-employee. I will say she has a heavy hitting lawyer, not a crackpot like Rudy or Ellis or one of those clowns that have no idea what they're doing. 

ETA - FWIW, I always liked Lisa and thought she did a really good job. I hated to see her go. 

Edited by GDTBATH
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Greg_B said:

Someone has updated the Wiki page of Golf Central on-air personnel. I notice that Ryan Burr and George Savaricas are now listed as former employees along with the others we have already noted.

Both pretty good, hopefully they can gain employment in their desired field.  Not sure if golf is what they want to continue to cover.

In the Bag:

Driver: 10.5 Epic Speed Graphite Design AD-ITZ 60

Fairway Wood: 15 Epic Speed Graphite Design AD-ITZ 70

Fairway Wood: 19 Epic Flash Tensei Blue 75

Irons: Apex Pro '19 4-AW, Aerotech Steelfiber 95

Wedges: 54 MD4 and 58 '19 PM Grind 

Grips: Tour Velvet Jumbo

Putter: Odyssey MXM 9 HT

Balls: Chrome soft Triple Track

57 minutes ago, Greg_B said:

Someone has updated the Wiki page of Golf Central on-air personnel. I notice that Ryan Burr and George Savaricas are now listed as former employees along with the others we have already noted.

Wow, I thought both of those guys were good, especially Burr. Burr’s Twitter bio excludes any mention of the Golf Channel and Savaricas’ does still, but I was wondering why he was getting involved in Drink 20/20 and real estate if he was working for the Golf Channel still. The Golf Channel is going to work to death the remaining employees to make this work.

Ping Vault Arna

Why if this is simply a legal matter do we even know anything about it.......Why in this day and age do people have to run to a microphone about everything going on in their lives.......Take your lawyer and try your case in the courts.....If you win and want to let us know, fine.  People need to quit wanting all of us to try their cases via social media.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wobgon said:

Why if this is simply a legal matter do we even know anything about it.......Why in this day and age do people have to run to a microphone about everything going on in their lives.......Take your lawyer and try your case in the courts.....If you win and want to let us know, fine.  People need to quit wanting all of us to try their cases via social media.

Imagine if people would just let the courts handle things and not go off spouting off their gripes on Twitter?

🧐

😂🤣

Edited by bscinstnct
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3