Chipping gold from Paddy Harrington

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Came across this on Youtube this evening and thought I would share.  I'd say he knows what he's talking about.     

Pretty much exactly how I teach chipping. Weight 20% more on left leg, sternum an inch or. two ahead of the ball, slight shaft lean, sternum stays stable, zero weight shift backwards.  You can even ch

Absolute gold. Switched to this method on my own a year or two ago and ... wow.

Absolute gold. Switched to this method on my own a year or two ago and ... wow.

• Like 2

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65 - S
Titleist TS2 15* 3-wood - Tensei Blue - 65 - S; Titleist 918 5-wood 19*. Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65 - S
Titleist 818 H1 21* Atmos Tour Spec Blue - S
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff; Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff; Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s-400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

Pretty much exactly how I teach chipping. Weight 20% more on left leg, sternum an inch or. two ahead of the ball, slight shaft lean, sternum stays stable, zero weight shift backwards.  You can even chip with the right foot back away and on the toe like Paddy shows there, even one handed, and you will make solid ball first contact.

• Like 4

Thanks for posting, really like his tip of always landing it at the bottom of a slope, im sure i always try and carry it to the top on an uphill slope.

• Like 1

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

21 hours ago, Jim Waldron said:

Pretty much exactly how I teach chipping. Weight 20% more on left leg, sternum an inch or. two ahead of the ball, slight shaft lean, sternum stays stable, zero weight shift backwards.  You can even chip with the right foot back away and on the toe like Paddy shows there, even one handed, and you will make solid ball first contact.

It's got to make you wonder if it makes so much sense for chipping in moving low point forward why doesn't the same set up not make sense for the full swing (S&T).

• Like 1

Wow! Padraig's backyard is nice.  And how Paddy loves to talk.  Some improvements in production would help, video and audio.  

Technique looks useful, i'll give it a try.

Of course, becoz Paddy, and all the other pros on utube, have been doing this 90% of their lives, it's so much easier for them: no real thinking of technique needed.  But hackers like me need to consider hands, sternum, head, ball, foot and now alignment rod between our feet.  Oops, don't forget the fear of a cr*p shot zooming off into the water on the opposite side of the green.

Good thing i luv to practice.

15 hours ago, PJ1120 said:

It's got to make you wonder if it makes so much sense for chipping in moving low point forward why doesn't the same set up not make sense for the full swing (S&T).

I suspect that in that setup the club is coming in on a much steeper plane. Also, I don't imagine enough speed can be developed without pressure moving to the trail foot in the backswing for a full swing to be effective.

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, johnrobison said:

I suspect that in that setup the club is coming in on a much steeper plane. Also, I don't imagine enough speed can be developed without pressure moving to the trail foot in the backswing for a full swing to be effective.

I suspect most AM's need a steeper angle of attack when the ball is on the ground. I don't know about the speed issue. I know that when Mac was on the Tour he was in the top 10 in distance but I don't know if he was anchoring left back then.