2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

2020 Round Counts

cardoustie

3 hours ago, cardoustie said:

I am almost 53, two girls are 22 and 20 in years 5 and 3 in university

Half retired with 2.5 months in Florida

Looked back at my rounds when my girls were young .. closer to 30-40 rounds a year

I'm 37, work full time form 8 till 4, have two kids (12 & 7) and am married. 

My secret is that I live a 5 minute drive from my club, work from home now (due to covid) and both my wife and kids play. Most evenings of the week are spent playing on the course or at the club hitting balls on the range or putting on the practice green. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ClubBuildRookie said:

You guys are my hero.  At 33 here in PA.  What your secret to getting so much golf time in.  Do you work, are you retired, is there a secret occupation that I missed on?  Having a steady 9 to 5 seriously gets in the way of my golf game....Lol.

Kids are out of the house and a flexible work schedule do wonders for the golf game.

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

4 hours ago, cardoustie said:

I am almost 53, two girls are 22 and 20 in years 5 and 3 in university

Half retired with 2.5 months in Florida

Looked back at my rounds when my girls were young .. closer to 30-40 rounds a year

That's interesting. How has your handicap trended from not having kids, to having young ones to having them grow up? Kids are in my near future and my long term goal is to become a plus handicap in amateur competition. I'm curious how your game handled it.

• Like 1

Im at about 7 rounds this year. As a Golf Course assistant superintendent working 28 days out of the month. The last thing I really want to do is stick around the course for another 2-4 hrs playing golf(9 or 18 holes). I always say to myself today is the day im sticking around and playing and then the end of the day comes and I quickly toss that idea out. Tired from working out in the hot sun all day. Out of those 7 rounds 3 of them were last week when I was playing down in Destin on vacation. That was a nice break. I have a nice private club I can pretty much play at anytime I want im just having trouble getting motivated to play. My motivation has kind of peaked a little more since I played 3 times down in Florida so hopefully I can make it out a couple more times before the season ends.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I hit 150 in Alberta this year. Retired in spring and when golf started on May 9 and ended on Oct 12 I had only missed 4 days.

Actually, I played too much. Got fatigue from playing 100 days in row. Next year I will limit rounds to no more than 120.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Speed M10 Smoke
Taylor Made SIM 3W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made SIM 5W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made GAPR HI KBS 4,5,
HONMA TW747P 6-11 Vizard 85g
Cleveland 56* Smoke RTX Zipcore DG Spinner
Lajosi 808 Damascus, Callaway S2H2 Tuttle
Seed 01, Maxfli Tour

1 hour ago, Quasimoto said:

I hit 150 in Alberta this year. Retired in spring and when golf started on May 9 and ended on Oct 12 I had only missed 4 days.

Actually, I played too much. Got fatigue from playing 100 days in row. Next year I will limit rounds to no more than 120.

I'm jealous as heck! Albertan here as well and I was ecstatic to get in 68 rounds this year. Most ever! Gotta up those numbers

Rogue ST Max LS (8.0), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Cobra Aerojet (14.5), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

TSi2 (18, A1), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

U85 (22), X100

i210 (5-UW), X100

Glide 3.0 (54.12SS, 60.06TS)

35” Daddy Long Legs

Srixon Z-Star XV

It is going to be 80 here today, playing again.  My home club closes Nov 1

played Wed ... and yesterday I was at a great track called Cherry Hill where they hosted a Canadian Open in 1971 and I guess Ray Floyd stormed off after 4 jacking 18

My +3 buddy handed me my arse, shooting under par on his home track in very soggy conditions 

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

14 hours ago, MDH713 said:

Im at about 7 rounds this year. As a Golf Course assistant superintendent working 28 days out of the month. The last thing I really want to do is stick around the course for another 2-4 hrs playing golf(9 or 18 holes). I always say to myself today is the day im sticking around and playing and then the end of the day comes and I quickly toss that idea out. Tired from working out in the hot sun all day. Out of those 7 rounds 3 of them were last week when I was playing down in Destin on vacation. That was a nice break. I have a nice private club I can pretty much play at anytime I want im just having trouble getting motivated to play. My motivation has kind of peaked a little more since I played 3 times down in Florida so hopefully I can make it out a couple more times before the season ends.

I totally get you. My super/boss at my course is the same way. I'm staying back and playing 2-3 times a week, and I'm begging him to come out with me.

But he has a sailboat so that's his all-time-consuming activity, and he almost always declines.

It's funny though the 1-2 times a season I do get him out he always says "that was a lot of fun I need to get out here more"

21 hours ago, Jedaigeki said:

I'm 37, work full time form 8 till 4, have two kids (12 & 7) and am married. 

My secret is that I live a 5 minute drive from my club, work from home now (due to covid) and both my wife and kids play. Most evenings of the week are spent playing on the course or at the club hitting balls on the range or putting on the practice green. 

Such a great thing to introduce golf to your kids and wife.  I did and it's such a good thing for so many reasons. In particular it has had a profoundly positive effect on my sons career growth and professional opportunities.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Habitual Flipper said:

That's interesting. How has your handicap trended from not having kids, to having young ones to having them grow up? Kids are in my near future and my long term goal is to become a plus handicap in amateur competition. I'm curious how your game handled it.

I was a scratch when I left university at age 25, played on the golf team

I'd say I was a streaky 3 to 6 cap thru marriage and first jobs and kids being young.  The girls did come to the range and the course with me a lot and loved riding around on the cart.  We also back onto a golf course so they would come out and play around the greens when I worked on my short game

My ball striking has not dropped off ... but my ability to score and score well in tournaments really took a hit

The last few years I have been what I call "semi-retired."  .. helped the game a lot.

Last season I got back down to a 0.8.  This season a 1.6. 

Next year goal is scratch and year or 2 after that I want to be a tourney scratch at age 55 when I can play in senior Amateur events and I will get to play slightly shorter courses in events (and not be competing against d1 and d2 college kids all the time)

• Like 2

EvnRoll ER9

17 rounds since the Chicago lakefront courses re-opened from our lock-down in July. With a new granddaughter, my priorities have shifted so I'm pretty much just playing in my weekly golf league - happily I have managed to keep my HCP in the 12 range. Hope to be able to play another 6-8 weeks and then get ready for a crazy XMAS season with the grand baby !!

Just an older guy with 7 or 8 clubs and a MacKenzie Sunday Walker bag

42 minutes ago, cardoustie said:

I was a scratch when I left university at age 25, played on the golf team

I'd say I was a streaky 3 to 6 cap thru marriage and first jobs and kids being young.  The girls did come to the range and the course with me a lot and loved riding around on the cart.  We also back onto a golf course so they would come out and play around the greens when I worked on my short game

My ball striking has not dropped off ... but my ability to score and score well in tournaments really took a hit

The last few years I have been what I call "semi-retired."  .. helped the game a lot.

Last season I got back down to a 0.8.  This season a 1.6. 

Next year goal is scratch and year or 2 after that I want to be a tourney scratch at age 55 when I can play in senior Amateur events and I will get to play slightly shorter courses in events (and not be competing against d1 and d2 college kids all the time)

Yikes... looks like I'm already behind the 8 ball 😆

1 hour ago, Habitual Flipper said:

Yikes... looks like I'm already behind the 8 ball 😆

BSc .... Msc .... MBA .. golf, beer, and teaching freshman was hard to leave

EvnRoll ER9

I am at 102....but I missed about three months with a broken elbow and almost a month to course overseeding......and have two more months to go as our season starts here in Phoenix.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

173 posted rounds.  Numbers down this year due to Covid closure and a torn Meniscus.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

Card - good thread idea. 

First. I live in Minnesota and our season got off to a late start (late April) due to weather and the lockdown. But rounds played were way up at my course and all the courses around here. And our driving range use was off the charts as well. It's obvious that golf is a good game to play considering the situation we are in. And we now have snow on the ground so the season is perhaps ending early as well. 

Second - the number of rounds played by many here at golfwrx is just incredible! I believe the most I have ever posted to GHIN was 88 about 15 years ago - and I probably played around 100 rounds that year in total including scrambles and practice rounds.

You got me to examine my scoring record and I am going to over-share here. This year I have 44 scores posted. Total - not sure if exact = 48 rounds including 3 not posted and 1 charity scramble.  Every round posted was a competitive round. In 3 categories; (1) "casual" rounds in our 20-30 member group $20/man throw-in game which includes low net, giant skins, and nearies, (2) interclub fourball matches, and (3) C scores which include stroke play tournaments at my home course which are posted by the Committee, and 2 scores from a State Association Championship.

Current Index = +0.5. High was 1.8 in late May, low of +1.1 in August. Average score for the season = 73.9. High of 79, low of 67. 

I participate on 2 interclub scratch teams (regular and senior) and competed in nine 18 hole matches. Average of the 9 scores = 72.3, High of 76 and low of 69.

10 'C' scores in my record. Average = 72.9. Low of 68 and high of 75.

I am basically a one man show at work and this was a highly unusual year for us and our customers. I was hoping to play in more state level events but the schedule of tournaments was adjusted/changed and I could not work those new dates into my schedule. I am hoping for a more normal type of year in 2021 and hope to play in more state run events at the 'Senior' level.  

• Like 1

Titleist TSR4 9.5, Oban Devotion 6, 05 flex 65g
TM M4 Tour 3W, Oban Devotion 7, 05 flex 75g
TM R15 TP #3 (19*), Fujikura Speeder 869 X
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW, KBS C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged GW, KBS C-Taper X
Vokey Wedges - SM8 56.12 & 60.08 S400
Newport 2.5

10 rounds of 9 holes on my own - The Grint calculates those as 5 rounds of 18 for handicap purposes.  Unfortunately, 7 of those 10 were on my old phone, which broke on me.  I know it doesn't "officially" count for handicap purposes without an attest, but I was unflinchingly rigid in the rules and counted every penalty stroke (including recording a 60 on 9 holes b/c penalties).

Add in a scramble with the family, and a scramble with church, and this was the busiest golf year I've had since 2004 or 2005.

What's In The Bag?

Srixon Z565 Driver, 4W, 4H

Ping G400 5-U

Kirkland Sig Wedges

Odyssey White Hot Putter

Hyundai Equus Alignment Sticks

KSig balls for now - in search of something new

3 and expect to play no more this year.......

2 kids aged 12 and 11, work a 4 day week and spend weekends doing family things. Only get to play on weekday day off and will only play if the weather forecast is decent, there are no other chores to do and a golfnow tee time isn't a p!ss take.

1st round played Feb 6th in anticipation of ramping up play in Spring ahead of a Florida trip in May. Covid put pay to any plans from that moment on. By the time I could get back to work, it was all hands on deck to replace the income lost over the lockdown. I got another round in August with a mate while the wife and kids were away over a Bank Holiday weekend. Good job the pro shop was shut as we probably would have been told we couldn't play as not from same household.

One last swansong last month on a cheap golfnow deal when the kids got back to school. Adios 2020.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Thommo335 said:

3 and expect to play no more this year.......

2 kids aged 12 and 11, work a 4 day week and spend weekends doing family things. Only get to play on weekday day off and will only play if the weather forecast is decent, there are no other chores to do and a golfnow tee time isn't a p!ss take.

1st round played Feb 6th in anticipation of ramping up play in Spring ahead of a Florida trip in May. Covid put pay to any plans from that moment on. By the time I could get back to work, it was all hands on deck to replace the income lost over the lockdown. I got another round in August with a mate while the wife and kids were away over a Bank Holiday weekend. Good job the pro shop was shut as we probably would have been told we couldn't play as not from same household.

One last swansong last month on a cheap golfnow deal when the kids got back to school. Adios 2020.

Well, you and several others here are doing the right thing!  Enjoy your family life as you only get one chance!  Family is important and golf is just a silly game.  Hmmm, I need to get off the internet and go work on my backswing for a while...

• Like 1

98 rounds since March. Hoping to get a few extra rounds before winter hits.

HCP hovered from +2 to 1.3. Low, two rounds of 64 at my home course. Ringer score at my home course of 50 (par 71). Birdied every hole, eagled two of the three par 5s, and eagled two Par 4s.

Finished Top 20 in my state mid-am and will probably look to play more tourneys next year.

Goals over winter are to buy a swing speed radar and try to do some exercises / training to increase swing speed 4-8mph by Spring 2021.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2020 at 9:41 AM, mark m said:

Card - good thread idea. 

First. I live in Minnesota and our season got off to a late start (late April) due to weather and the lockdown. But rounds played were way up at my course and all the courses around here. And our driving range use was off the charts as well. It's obvious that golf is a good game to play considering the situation we are in. And we now have snow on the ground so the season is perhaps ending early as well. 

Second - the number of rounds played by many here at golfwrx is just incredible! I believe the most I have ever posted to GHIN was 88 about 15 years ago - and I probably played around 100 rounds that year in total including scrambles and practice rounds.

You got me to examine my scoring record and I am going to over-share here. This year I have 44 scores posted. Total - not sure if exact = 48 rounds including 3 not posted and 1 charity scramble.  Every round posted was a competitive round. In 3 categories; (1) "casual" rounds in our 20-30 member group $20/man throw-in game which includes low net, giant skins, and nearies, (2) interclub fourball matches, and (3) C scores which include stroke play tournaments at my home course which are posted by the Committee, and 2 scores from a State Association Championship.

Current Index = +0.5. High was 1.8 in late May, low of +1.1 in August. Average score for the season = 73.9. High of 79, low of 67. 

I participate on 2 interclub scratch teams (regular and senior) and competed in nine 18 hole matches. Average of the 9 scores = 72.3, High of 76 and low of 69.

10 'C' scores in my record. Average = 72.9. Low of 68 and high of 75.

I am basically a one man show at work and this was a highly unusual year for us and our customers. I was hoping to play in more state level events but the schedule of tournaments was adjusted/changed and I could not work those new dates into my schedule. I am hoping for a more normal type of year in 2021 and hope to play in more state run events at the 'Senior' level.  

Incredible scoring

My 2020 average is 78.3 .. most rounds at 2 highly rated / sloped courses FWIW

It’s fun to look thru scoring for the year and see eagle and birdie and par percentages .. just did it

Add in 4 rounds for scrambles and shambles where my own ball wasn’t in play

EvnRoll ER9