Wedge shaft question

Was hoping for some advice as clubfitters are not central to where i live. I’m planning on putting in an order to replace my irons and wedges in the next couple weeks. Some background, I was previously fit while on a trip for KBS C-taper 130x in my irons about a year ago so I’m planning on sticking with the same shafts for the irons I’ll be ordering. With that being said i was never fit for wedge shafts. I’m aware that people like to put in a 9 iron shaft for the gap wedge. Thoughts on what kind of wedge shafts might work well with the iron shaft combination? I’d imagine that i could always move down to a c taper 125/120 as I’d imagine keeping 130s for the 56 & 60 would be like swinging lumber and i might lose out on some spin.  Or should i move towards an S400/x100? 

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you like the c-tapers then you should look into the kbs 610, 125 S+ which are specific wedge shafts.  I have one in my 54.  I used to play the c-taper S+.  It launches a hair lower and spins signif

I had a set of C Tapers in my previous set of irons and wedges.  I really like the feel of shafts, but didn't care for them in my wedges.  I thought the KBS Tour or Hi Rev had a smoother feel, especially on partial and touch shots.  If you like the 130 gram weight, you might want to look at the S400 or one of the KBS wedge specific shafts.  The new Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Spinner shaft is around 125 grams.  I have these in my current wedges and don't plan on changing anytime soon.

Usually you dont want to give up too much weight, so moving down to a 125/120 would go against conventional wisdom. I'd think an s400 could be a good option. 

PING G410+ 9* TPO 60S 

Callaway Mini 1.5 14*

Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5*

Callaway Apex 20* AD DI 85s

Cleveland UHX 5 utility 23*

6-PW Srixon Z785 Modus 120S

50 Cleveland RTX 4

56 and 60, TM Hi Toe

EVNROLL ER3

I just went through this on my wedges but with project x shafts.  I play 6.0's in irons and bought three 7.0 flex 8 iron shafts to stick into my gap, sand and lob.   I've only swung them once at the range but I like the change over the standard dg wedge shaft.   

Taylormade M3 9*  KBS TD Cat4

Taylormade M3 4HL Hzrdus Yellow 63g

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tours 3-PW Project X 6.0's

Cleveland RTX4 Raw 50/54/58 Project X 7.0's

Byron Morgan Stainless DH89 w/ Stability Tour / / Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2 

Bridgestone Tour B XS 

If you like the c-tapers then you should look into the kbs 610, 125 S+ which are specific wedge shafts.  I have one in my 54.  I used to play the c-taper S+.  It launches a hair lower and spins significantly less than the hi-rev therefore you're not hitting balloon balls that go nowhere. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 1

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/Ventus Blue 8x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

I have the C-tapers stiff in my wedges. It was an accidental discovery. Flight is on the lower side with good feel. I use them for full, partial shots, and chipping.

Callaway Epic Max 9* Hzrdus Smoke iM10
Callaway Epic Speed 16.5* 4W Hzrdus Smoke iM10
Cobra KING F9 Hybrid 21* Fujikura Atmos Red 7 TS
Cobra KING F9 Hybrid 24* Fujikura Atmos Red 7 TS
Cobra KING Forged Tec 6-PW $-Taper Lite
Cleveland CBX2 48* KBS C-Taper
Cleveland CBX2 54* KBS C-Taper
TaylorMade MGS TW Edition 60* KBS C-Taper
Scotty Cameron 2020 Special Select Newport
TaylorMade TP5 ball

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Our picks

• **GIVEAWAY** Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour Fairway ENTER NOW!
      Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour 14.5* fairway giveaway!!!.To enter reply in this thread that you're IN!

That's it. You'll be entered into the giveaway (one entry per person). Winner chosen at random in two weeks. Be sure to check out the attached pics. Good luck!

If you are not a member her please register here to allow you to reply to this post and enter. Registration is free... https://forums.golfwrx.com/register/
      ======================================================================================================
      We randomize all the number of posts and the #1 number on the top is the winner. Say there is 1,000 replies from members. We will randomize 1 to 1,000 using a website that has a randomizer. It scrambles the numbers and the #1 is the first place and the #2 is the second etc. If the winner has duplicate entries we count the first

• 968 replies
    • 2021 Valero Texas Open - discussion & links
      Please put any questions or comments here. 

This week, the PGA Tour is at TPC San Antonio on the Oaks Course for the Valero Texas Open. GolfWRX was on-site Tuesday to catch a glimpse into the bags of some of the world’s top golfers.

The field of 144 is getting ready to battle starting Thursday for the $7.7 million purse, with $1.386 million going to the winner. The tournament is also the last event where players can qualify for The Masters, just like Canadian Corey Conners did last year.

Check out our "Most interesting photos" Part 1, and Part 2.

2021 Valero Texas Open - Tuesday #1 2021 Valero Texas Open - Tuesday #2 2021 Valero Texas Open - Tuesday #3 2021 Valero Texas Open - Tuesday #4 2021 Valero Texas Open - Tuesday #5 2021 Valero Texas Open - Tuesday #6 2021 Valero Texas Open - Tuesday #7 2021 Valero Texas Open - Tuesday #8  

Cameron putters (added Bernd Wiesberger's custom T-11) -2021 Valero Texas Open Piretti putters -2021 Valero Texas Open Branden Grace testing AutoFlex shaft @ 2021 Valero Texas Open  
      Check out our "Most interesting photos" Part 1, and Part 2.

• 29 replies
    • **GIVEAWAY** Odyssey Ten Triple Track Putter! ENTER NOW!
      NEW Odyssey Ten Triple Track putter giveaway!!!.To enter reply in this thread that you're IN!

That's it. You'll be entered into the giveaway (one entry per person). Winner chosen at random in two weeks. Be sure to check out the attached pics. Good luck!

If you are not a member her please register here to allow you to reply to this post and enter. Registration is free... https://forums.golfwrx.com/register/
      ======================================================================================================
      We randomize all the number of posts and the #1 number on the top is the winner. Say there is 1,000 replies from members. We will randomize 1 to 1,000 using a website that has a randomizer. It scrambles the numbers and the #1 is the first place and the #2 is the second etc. If the winner has duplicate entries we count the first

• Thanks
      • 1,586 replies
    • 2021 WGC Dell Technologies Match Play - discussion and links
      Please put any questions or comments here

2021 WGC Dell Technologies Match Play - Monday #1
      2021 WGC Dell Technologies Match Play - Monday #2
      2021 WGC Dell Technologies Match Play - Monday #3
      2021 WGC Dell Technologies Match Play - Monday #4
      2021 WGC Dell Technologies Match Play - Monday #5
      2021 WGC Dell Technologies Match Play - Monday #6

Hideki testing putters at WGC Dell Technologies Match Play
      Odyssey/Toulon Atlanta putter - 2021 WGC Dell Technologies Match Play