Sub 70 Irons Full Review - Combo Set

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This would be my first full review on the forum.  I have made a couple post here and there.  However, I thought I would give my try at writing a full review.  Recently I bought a new set of Sub70 Iron

Great write up. I had a similar experience with them last summer when I was buying irons. Jason was fantastic to work with. He even called me when I ordered my demo clubs to make sure I ordered the ri

Great comments. I just ordered a set of the CBs last Tuesday and UPS shows them for delivery this coming Tuesday.  So 8 calendar days from ordering to receipt. 😄.  I’ve hit the 6 iron CB a bunch and m

Posted Images

fantastic write-up. thanks mate! been thinking about trying out those MBs for a while now

• Like 1

Cobra F9 9.5* - Tour AD IZ 6x

Callaway Epic 14.5* - ProLaunch Blue 85x

Adams DHY Pro 21* - Aldila Tour Blue 85x

Miura CB201 4i - Accra iSeries Tour 110

Miura Retro Blades 5-PW - Accra iSeries Tour 110

Scratch Wedge 53* - Accra iSeries Tour 110

Fourteen RM11 58* - Recoil 95 F4

Taylormade Hi-Toe 64* - hi-rev

Great write up. I had a similar experience with them last summer when I was buying irons. Jason was fantastic to work with. He even called me when I ordered my demo clubs to make sure I ordered the right iron to fit my game. I agree you can put their clubs against anyone one. I actually took one of the demos to the PGGSS to try against some other irons sets I was considered. Numbers were very similar so I bought from Sub 70 and haven’t been disappointed.

• Like 3

Weight of the 699 pro (4-gw)

249 257 263 270 277 285 293 300

Weight of the mb (3-pw)-

242 249 256 263 270 277 284 292

FYI: the only difference is the 5i, 9i and PW is 1g lighter on the MB; 4i is exact same weight; size of iron head does not dictate it's weight.  Of course there are tolerances, typically +/- 3g, so the 4i could have been off spec, but ??

• Like 1

Great review thanks for sharing.  Really detailed.  Those blades do look super nice, I have no confidence in playing blades so I commend you for going full blade set up!  Also, one nit pick I think you had the 699 Pro U (Utility) not the regular 699 Pro iron.  But headweight appears to be the same between those 2 models so maybe just a blade length difference? 

• Like 2

Mizuno St190, 8.5*, Tensei White 70X shaft
Cobra FLY Z+ 3 wood, orange, aldila tour blue stiff, 14.5*
Sub 70 939x, 3H(18*), Proforce V2 85 stiff
Sub 70 939x, 4H(21*), Proforce V2 85 stiff
Sub 70 699 Pros, 5-AW, Modus 120 stiff
PING glide 2.0, 54* and 58*, SS, Modus 120 stiff
Scotty Select Newport, 73* lie, 1* loft, 34"
Bridgestone Tour BX

1 hour ago, bbfifas said:

Great review thanks for sharing.  Really detailed.  Those blades do look super nice, I have no confidence in playing blades so I commend you for going full blade set up!  Also, one nit pick I think you had the 699 Pro U (Utility) not the regular 699 Pro iron.  But headweight appears to be the same between those 2 models so maybe just a blade length difference? 

you are correct it was utility club.  Thanks for nit pic.  Internet is green for fact checking.  

I am not sure if differences between utility vs regular 699pro.  Maybe guys at @Sub70Golf could inform us.  I’d be curious to know.  

• Like 1
15 hours ago, ode said:

Weight of the 699 pro (4-gw)

249 257 263 270 277 285 293 300

Weight of the mb (3-pw)-

242 249 256 263 270 277 284 292

FYI: the only difference is the 5i, 9i and PW is 1g lighter on the MB; 4i is exact same weight; size of iron head does not dictate it's weight.  Of course there are tolerances, typically +/- 3g, so the 4i could have been off spec, but ??

Good to know.  

You must have tried both MB and 699pro 4i, right?

On 10/23/2020 at 10:02 AM, golfdaydreamer said:

Good to know.  

You must have tried both MB and 699pro 4i, right?

No, have not.  I have a 5i that is a  similar style to the 699 pro and looks massive compared to the rest of my irons, but the weight spec is in line.  

The only way to know for sure is to pull the shaft and weigh the head.  Or measure SW and/or total weight to see if it's not in line with the rest of the set.

Edited by ode

Great comments. I just ordered a set of the CBs last Tuesday and UPS shows them for delivery this coming Tuesday.  So 8 calendar days from ordering to receipt. 😄.  I’ve hit the 6 iron CB a bunch and my buddies MBs. I really like how the CB looks and performs and the MBs look and feel great also. Just wasn’t sure I’m good enough as a 7 index to play MBs so went with CBs. I’ll update after I get the new irons and have played several rounds with them.    EDIT:  the new irons showed up this morning so 7 calendar days from ordering to receipt in Tampa Bay area.  Just crazy fast.  Irons look great.  

Edited by larryd3
  • Like 3

TM M4 
Epic 15*
Sub70 3 hybrid
Sub70 4 hybrid
Sub70 5 hybrid
Titleist T200 6-GW
54* SM8
58* SM8
PXG Operator H

Sub70 is a nice little brand and I've been checking out their stuff for a little while.  Thanks for taking the time to post a review.

• Like 2

Ping G410LST 9* / Fuji Ventus Black 7X                  

Cally Mav SZ 13.5* / Fuji Ventus Black 7X               

Cally Mav Pro 20*  / Fuji Ventus Black 10TX

Honma 737V / Mitsubishi MMT 125TX

Cally MD5 wedges / Mitsu MMT 125TX

On 10/23/2020 at 10:01 AM, golfdaydreamer said:

you are correct it was utility club.  Thanks for nit pic.  Internet is green for fact checking.  

I am not sure if differences between utility vs regular 699pro.  Maybe guys at @Sub70Golf could inform us.  I’d be curious to know.  

Are we talking about the blade length from heel to toe?  I can try and get an exact measurement on it...but the utility clubs are generally going to have a longer blade to offer some additional forgiveness for a driving/utility iron

• Like 2

First off, Jason and his crew are top shelf when it comes to customer service.  I gamed a set of the 699 Pros for half of this year and while I loved the feel and performance I was really struggling with drawing the ball too much.  I naturally hit a straight/draw type of shot but I could not get these to stay on line for the life of me.  Maybe it was the shaft, maybe it was lie angle (although I had that checked) but I couldn't solve the puzzle and decided to move back to my Srixon 785's.  Please take that as the indian and not the arrow, as Sub70 makes a darn good product.

I just took my new set of Sub70 CBs out today for the first time.  Awesome turf interaction, they frame the ball really well and plenty forgiving.  I'm really impressed.  My usual set are T200s and the CBs have better feel and turf interaction than the Titleists especially out of the rough, but that's for me, your mileage may vary.  Overall really pleased for the first round.  

• Like 1

TM M4 
Epic 15*
Sub70 3 hybrid
Sub70 4 hybrid
Sub70 5 hybrid
Titleist T200 6-GW
54* SM8
58* SM8
PXG Operator H