2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

How long were you out of golf after Achilles surgery?

Barfolomew

So I snapped my Achilles last weekend riding skateboard and had surgery yesterday.... Anyone have Achilles surgery and how fast were you back to playin golf and to what degree?  Thanks!

I'm 49 go to the gym everyday and will have no prob following the PT protocols....

Can't figure how to like my own posts

Though not Achilles related, I've had 3 major surgery's over my life.  One, before arthroscopic when I was 30, after a 80meter ski jumping accident, took 8 months before I was back to competing in CAT races and climbing, haven't jumped since.  The other two in my 60's, took 3 months before golf, 6 month for good golf.   I been a gym rat since my Football days; funny I never got hurt playing ball. 

I suspect you're looking at 6-8 months.  All depends on how evasive the surgery was and how good you are at hitting the gym.  Achilles takes time.  Good luck.

• Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

It could take up to a year since you are older.  Achilles injuries usually take at least 4-6 months before there is significant improvement.  You must also consider your age as well so expect it to take a little longer than someone in their 20's. 

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

14 hours ago, ALIF said:

I make my living by performing these surgeries. What kind of repair was it? Open, mini open, percutaneous, etc.? These things make a difference. Let me know and I’ll give you my opinion.

I'm not sure I will have to get back to you after my first appt.   But Im guessing the Open kind lol.  Cut you open sew it close it up... gonna have a nice scar on the back of the heel

I tore my achilles and was non weight bearing for 6 weeks, in 2 shoes at 14 weeks, and slowly jogging in an Alter G at 16.  Jogging on pavement around 22.  I think at 6 months you'll probably be able to comfortably hit balls, but I wouldn't push it.  At 6 months I was jumping, at 9 months playing basketball and fully using it.  Definitely a good questions for your PT, or maybe check achillesblog.com and see if there's some info.   

• Like 1

It was about 3 or 4 months before I could go in the course. I remember it was 20 degrees, 20 mph winds in December when I played again. I was the only one out on the course but I didn't care...I was itching to play! Lol I was severely limping but there wasn't much pain if any at all. Just be careful and listen to the doctors. Make sure he clears you to play before going out.

You won't be able to swing the same for at least 6 months though. Take care and PLEASE complete your PT...I didn't and now I suffer from achilles tendonitis in my other leg because I favored it too much.

• Like 1

Ping K15 driver
Ping G10 3, 4, 5 hybrids
Ping G15 irons
Cameron Newport, Ping Anser 3
Titleist Vokey 50* 54* wedges

26 minutes ago, flipmode said:

It was about 3 or 4 months before I could go in the course. I remember it was 20 degrees, 20 mph winds in December when I played again. I was the only one out on the course but I didn't care...I was itching to play! Lol I was severely limping but there wasn't much pain if any at all. Just be careful and listen to the doctors. Make sure he clears you to play before going out.

You won't be able to swing the same for at least 6 months though. Take care and PLEASE complete your PT...I didn't and now I suffer from achilles tendonitis in my other leg because I favored it too much.

Yeah I hear ya my poor other leg (right luckily) is already killing calf and hip no bueno lol

Edited by Barfolomew

3 hours ago, Barfolomew said:

Yeah I hear ya my poor other leg (right luckily) is already killing calf and hip no bueno lol

Crazy thing is my buddy just ruptured his yesterday night playing bball with his son. It's a terrible injury and I wish I guys a speedy recovery.

• Like 1

Ping K15 driver
Ping G10 3, 4, 5 hybrids
Ping G15 irons
Cameron Newport, Ping Anser 3
Titleist Vokey 50* 54* wedges

I tore my left one playing soccer five years ago, it was a complete tear. Had surgery at the beginning of December, and had a few months of being in a cast and boot with PT and working on it myself. I started walking nine holes in early April and could do 18+ before May. It was basically perfect timing for me here in NY, I missed a few days of winter golf but that was about it. I was 28 when it happened and it never really came back 100% as far as lifting or jumping goes, but I can walk and golf all day without it bothering me so I’m happy.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I had Achilles reconstruction surgery (due to a heal spur) on 12/7.  I was transitioned to a shoe with a wedge and  released for PT last week.  I'm allowed to do some putting in my shop but I'm not as stable as I would like so I just make a few easy strokes and rest.  I was told by my Ortho and PT that 6-8 weeks out from surgery is the most risk of rupture / reinjury.  My healing is going well and I'm 3-4 weeks from taking some chips according to PT.  My plan is to take it slow and not build any bad habits on restarting.  I hope to be ready to play some late spring with rounds of 1/2 - 3/4 swings.   Hope your recovery is going well.

• 11 months later...
On 12/30/2021 at 5:06 AM, richardmcdonald86 said:

Hi, 

any update on your recovery? I tore mine in November and had open surgery a week later so I'm hopeful to be able to get back out around April. Any guidance would be great. I'm 35, otherwise fit and healthy and itching to get to do something...

Thanks in advance

I was prob playin golf bout 5 months.  Not full strength but able to hit balls.  Mine was my front left foot.  I still don't have good strength in that calf.

Good Luck amigo!

snapped my achilles in my mid 30's jumping for a rebound. Took me 7 months before i was out on the course again. I was good with my rehab in the beginnnig but slacked off once I was able to walk and stuff. Stupid move on my part. Do 100% of your rehab at 100%. You cannot "catch up later". I'm living with 75% now at age 48 because I didn't do all of my rehab. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/22/2020 at 7:36 PM, Barfolomew said:

So I snapped my Achilles last weekend riding skateboard and had surgery yesterday.... Anyone have Achilles surgery and how fast were you back to playin golf and to what degree?  Thanks!

I'm 49 go to the gym everyday and will have no prob following the PT protocols....

Above average fitness wise 43 year old.

Full rupture of right achilles and right handed golfer.

I went the non surgical route here in the UK and was in a vacoped boot for 9.5 weeks.  I was able to hit full shots within 5 weeks of coming out of the boot(14.5 weeks from going in the boot) and didn't notice any difference in the quality of shot and I play off a scratch handicap.

If you follow the protocol and put the work in once out of the boot( I was swimming every morning, exercise bike on an evening, calf raises throughout the day) then there is no reason to believe this injury will effect your golf game long term despite it being a nasty injury.

For anyone going through this, stay strong and you will get through it 

• Like 1

44yo male (PGA club pro by trade) ... 6'4 210 lbs, in good physical condition ... RH golfer, full tear of right Achilles last Saturday ...surgery yesterday ... nerve block wearing off now and the pain is starting.  started the oxycodone protocol (5mg) overnight ... might need to bump up to 10mg.  scheduled to be in the cast/splint for 2 weeks, then into a boot ... we'll see.  Doc thinks i should be back to full swings mid June/early July.  sure hope so!

Edited by tarheelgolfpro77

On 10/23/2020 at 8:47 PM, djflight said:

I tore my achilles and was non weight bearing for 6 weeks, in 2 shoes at 14 weeks, and slowly jogging in an Alter G at 16.  Jogging on pavement around 22.  I think at 6 months you'll probably be able to comfortably hit balls, but I wouldn't push it.  At 6 months I was jumping, at 9 months playing basketball and fully using it.  Definitely a good questions for your PT, or maybe check achillesblog.com and see if there's some info.   

Shows the advances in treatments since I tore mine back in 1994 .I was in plaster and on crutches for 9 months after the operation .

Edited by sjn1
typo
  • Like 1

52 year old full rupture at my son’s basketball practice on 2/22/22.  Simple jump stop, pop, then looked back as I thought I got hit by a ball.  (Common occurrence).  My separation is way up near my calf and after mri my ortho and I agreed upon no surgery.  Lots of clinical data out there for non-surgery. Outcomes not that different between the two.  Slightly higher re-rupture rate with non surgery but obviously no nerve damage risk or infection issues with my choice.   Boot for 4 more weeks then start rehab.  I’m a lucky one.  Little pain and can bare some weight and can putt and swing the club in the boot.  Will vigorously do rehab hoping to be back playing in June.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2022 at 12:53 PM, tarheelgolfpro77 said:

44yo male (PGA club pro by trade) ... 6'4 210 lbs, in good physical condition ... RH golfer, full tear of right Achilles last Saturday ...surgery yesterday ... nerve block wearing off now and the pain is starting.  started the oxycodone protocol (5mg) overnight ... might need to bump up to 10mg.  scheduled to be in the cast/splint for 2 weeks, then into a boot ... we'll see.  Doc thinks i should be back to full swings mid June/early July.  sure hope so!

had surgery f/u this past Wednesday (2 weeks after surgery).  wound healing nicely, sutures removed and i was put into a walking boot with one wedge in the heel.  i can weight bear as much as i can tolerate, i'm doing it about 50% of the time so far (foot gets sore).  go back to Doc end of April and should start PT at that point.  all in all it's going well and not nearly as painful as i expected, though i expect PT to be a bear.

40 yrs old Complete tear playing flag football on 2/19..surg on 2/23… cast w/leg up for 2 weeks.  Started PT the day my sutures came out (2 wks post op) Crutched it in a boot for 2 weeks…been walking full weight bearing for 2 weeks in boot at a 90 hoping to get boot off nxt Wed Aprl 6th and into reg shoes.  I do my PT and at home PT religiously!  Helps a tooon!  I will be golfing by May 2nd start of my club league.  Be smart, push yourself, only YOU know ur body!   Heal up gents! 

Ruptured my achilles few days ago and will be having an MRI and surgery this week. Doc uses the PARS system, which is a minimally invasive technique using fiberwire sutures and heel anchors. Anyone had this done? In my thirties, fit and active, so will go surgical route, but just wondering how others have fared with this method, especially with the heel anchors. How’s golf been on the rehabbed achilles? Left foot, right hand golfer. Welcome any anecdotes, advice, regrets, etc. 

19 hours ago, pepperonipies said:

Ruptured my achilles few days ago and will be having an MRI and surgery this week. Doc uses the PARS system, which is a minimally invasive technique using fiberwire sutures and heel anchors. Anyone had this done? In my thirties, fit and active, so will go surgical route, but just wondering how others have fared with this method, especially with the heel anchors. How’s golf been on the rehabbed achilles? Left foot, right hand golfer. Welcome any anecdotes, advice, regrets, etc. 

I was playing 6 month after surgery.  Do the PT protocols way longer for the next year.... I still dont have good strength in calf but golf is no prob... good luck!

• 11 months later...

Any updates on how golf went for the folks who rehabbed an Achilles tear?  I had surgery for a tear on 12/5.  Been out of my boot for about 3 weeks. I'm able to walk about 3 miles on good days.  I've been chipping/putting with no problem. If I take too many swings it barks at me.  I'm 39 and in decent shape.

My golf league starts in 4 weeks. That'll be close to 5 months from surgery...I feel like I'll be ready to roll. Curious how other folks have done in their return timeline. 

Cheers!

Which foot did you have done? lead foot or back foot?

I'm about to be 12 months and ill play my first round next week, live in Michigan I could of played end of last year but weather wasnt the best and didnt want to play one or two rounds and then not golf again for months. Have you spoke to your physio? mine got me practicing swings early on and my only slight issue was on the follow through trusting my weight on my injured ankle, especially on driver swings.

Its a bigger injury then I ever expected just dont rush back to quick 

It's my lead foot.  The surgeon cleared me to play golf and my PT has pushed me to hit the range.  I went yesterday actually and hit about 40 balls or so.  Mostly just wedges and one driver. Felt decent today.  Still can feel it after I give the tendon some work. 

My big hurdle is I'm going to St Andrews with my dad at the end of May which will be 6 months out from surgery.  It'll be a solid test to walk 18 every day.