Streamsong 2020-2021

FlashinLeather

So my buddies and I played Red this past Saturday. I think we all came away liking the course a lot, but I wouldn’t say any of us absolutely loved it. Some of the views were really cool. The greens were fine, but I was a little surprised at how slow they were. That might be on me though, as my expectations were lightning fast greens. 

The forecaddie we got was ok. He was good at the technical aspects of his job, but he wasn’t the most engaging guy. Not a deal breaker or anything, but at times he gave off the vibe that he just didn’t want to be there. 

We ate at the clubhouse bar, and the food was good. Service was good, and the speed of service was fine as well. Maybe we got them on a good day, and maybe some of the others who weren’t happy got them on a bad day? 

Overall I thought it was a good experience. It didn’t feel like all the other courses in Florida. We may eventually plan a trip to stay and play all three courses. 

• Like 2

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

Heading there the end of this month for guys vacation. Could use a 4th Danny!!!

Great to have had the time to log back into the Wrx. Have missed this place! 

We are staying for three nights and playing a lot of golf while there. Black will be closed for aerification so doubling up on Red and Blue. Already made dinner reservations so am really hoping we end up making some memories. Will try to come back in here afterwards and perhaps post some thoughts. 

Again great to be posting again on the Wrx...

Med

• Like 1

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

I just got back from 3 days and 2 nights at Streamsong with my wife.  This thread made be apprehensive about our trip, but I couldn’t be more glad we didn’t listen to the negative reviews.  I haven’t posted in GolfWRX in years, but felt compelled after reading the reviews to address some of the feedback I read:

The golf was great (played Black as Red/Blue are closed) and I played with a couple from Philadelphia that enjoyed it as much as I did.  The greens were in great shape and really fast (which says a lot from a Georgia guy where all courses try to be Augusta).  The layout was beautiful with the native borders around the fairways/bunkers and unique green complexes.  It’s the antithesis of your typical Florida course and I caught myself several times being in awe of the views and nature surrounding the course.  

The resort exceeded all expectations as I was concerned going in after reading the comments in this thread.  The staff was friendly and we enjoyed all of our dining experiences.  The wait staff was nice and we didn’t encounter any of the issues noted above around long waits for food.  I’d argue their marketing team does a poor job highlighting the serene setting of the resort and its facilities (pool setting is incredibly undersold).  I love architecture and the resort and Black Course clubhouse are a refreshing approach to resorts (golf or not) in America.  Beautiful examples of Scandinavian design that are modern but yet still warm and inviting. 

After discussing it with my wife, I understand where some may see negatives about the place.  It’s not a Ritz resort or your stuffy country club (think top 5 country clubs in Metro Atlanta) where the staff is overly attentive and inflates your ego at every chance.  The restaurants aren’t 5 star places that will be winning a James Beard award.

With that being said, I would argue this is a breath of fresh air.  We couldn’t have been happier with a little space, an extremely friendly staff, and quick service (with a smile) whenever we asked for something.  The food (and service) was very good, better than 99% or country clubs, and was reasonably priced.  

The last few items I’ll leave are that my wife (who does not play golf) was texting friends to put a couples trip together in the next few months.  I’m also lobbying my buddies to book Streamsong for our annual golf trip in 2022.  (Past years have included Pinehurst, Kiawah, Whistling Straits, Reynolds Plantation, Sea Pines, Robert Trent Jones).  

I was really impressed with Streamsong and left wanting to extend my stay for another round/night. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Finally completed walking all three of the courses. Blue is definitely the most difficult walk, especially with a push cart. Next time I walk it I think I’ll definitely leave the push cart at home and just carry my own bag. There are way too many spots where you have to push your cart through sand and many times it’s up hill. If you carry you can walk down the steps with the caddies, saving steps and effort in pushing through sand.  It’s still my favorite of the three courses, though. I think the front nine on the Blue is one of the funnest 9 holes in the entire state. I’d put Black as my second favorite and then Red, mostly because I just find the back 9 to be rather boring/not very interesting. 

The service in the restaurant has also gotten way better. Maybe because it wasn’t really busy but the wait on food was not long at all. I still haven’t stayed at the resort, though, so still can’t comment on that. From where it’s come from just a few years ago to even a few months ago, I was impressed. 

Edited by ilikegolf26

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/23/2021 at 11:50 AM, ilikegolf26 said:

Finally completed walking all three of the courses. Blue is definitely the most difficult walk, especially with a push cart. Next time I walk it I think I’ll definitely leave the push cart at home and just carry my own bag. There are way too many spots where you have to push your cart through sand and many times it’s up hill. If you carry you can walk down the steps with the caddies, saving steps and effort in pushing through sand.  It’s still my favorite of the three courses, though. I think the front nine on the Blue is one of the funnest 9 holes in the entire state. I’d put Black as my second favorite and then Red, mostly because I just find the back 9 to be rather boring/not very interesting. 

The service in the restaurant has also gotten way better. Maybe because it wasn’t really busy but the wait on food was not long at all. I still haven’t stayed at the resort, though, so still can’t comment on that. From where it’s come from just a few years ago to even a few months ago, I was impressed. 

I have only played the Black and our 4some walked with the push carts and won't do that again. We all played solid, no lost balls or anything or big scores on any holes however it was tough keeping up with the group in front because they were all in carts. So we were constantly being told to pick up the pace and we are all looking at each other scratching our heads on how we can play faster. We each hit the fairway most of the time (very wide fairways) and were on or around the green in regulation. Our caddie would just say, "hey this guy might say something about your pace" but that was about it. They tout this as a walking friendly place and to me it was anything but.

11 minutes ago, aus10KC said:

I have only played the Black and our 4some walked with the push carts and won't do that again. We all played solid, no lost balls or anything or big scores on any holes however it was tough keeping up with the group in front because they were all in carts. So we were constantly being told to pick up the pace and we are all looking at each other scratching our heads on how we can play faster. We each hit the fairway most of the time (very wide fairways) and were on or around the green in regulation. Our caddie would just say, "hey this guy might say something about your pace" but that was about it. They tout this as a walking friendly place and to me it was anything but.

Yeah, in my experience the rangers out there aren’t the greatest. Last time I played the Black it took us almost 1.5 hours just to play the first three holes! The ranger kept blaming it one of the bridges to go across the creek on #4 being out due to heavy rains the day before but that made no sense because there were long waits of two groups on #3 tee that was causing the back up. 
The scorecard says the expected pace of play is 4:40 but in my experience I don’t remember the last round I played out there under 5 hours. 

Edited by ilikegolf26

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from two nights and 3 rounds at Streamsong, Golf was fantastic. They were some awesome, awesome courses, very beautiful and a great variety with all 3 because of the three different architects. It was such a cool property.

We also had great service in all of the restaurants, valet, caddie, shuttles, and lodge staff. I could tell there was a constant effort to serve the guests, and after our stay, I received a link to an internal review of streamsong, and there was a number of questions asking about how the service was, and its speed. You could tell there has been, and still is, a sincere effort to improve on some of y'alls past complaints with service. I thought the service was great.

Also, to be fair, a lot of the service complaints earlier in this thread came during COVID, which hurt the service industry across the board. Overall, it was a fantastic experience, our group all had such a fun time. Would recommend it to anyone. Streamsong was one heck of a place.

We played 36 Saturday and 18 Sunday, walking the earlier rounds of each day. No real pace of play issues that we encountered. Even in the summer, there were a lot of groups walking in the morning, and even some in the afternoon.

Forgot to mention - they had an awesome system where you leave your bag at the clubhouse after your round, and they will take care of it overnight/between rounds. They'd shuttle it to the next course's bag drop which was so convenient for us with everything else to do, and everything else that's going on. We showed up to our first round at black and our bags were sitting at the driving range for us (we played the par 3 the night before), then after our round, they brought our clubs over to red/blue for us for our round that afternoon, only ~1 hour after we finished the morning round, and the bags were sitting there at bag drop for us. Made things so much easier, and was a great service

Edited by FuzzyKnuckles
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, tboh said:

Just curious how far back did you book?

We booked at the end of April and had no issues. We weren't looking to book the first available weekend, however, but rather the last weekend of the summer rate ;), so I have no idea how far ahead you need to book, but we had no issues with ~4-5 months ahead

• Thanks 1

On 9/8/2021 at 3:10 PM, ilikegolf26 said:

Yeah, in my experience the rangers out there aren’t the greatest. Last time I played the Black it took us almost 1.5 hours just to play the first three holes! The ranger kept blaming it one of the bridges to go across the creek on #4 being out due to heavy rains the day before but that made no sense because there were long waits of two groups on #3 tee that was causing the back up. 
The scorecard says the expected pace of play is 4:40 but in my experience I don’t remember the last round I played out there under 5 hours. 

4:40? That’s pathetic. Walking in the Florida sun and they are happy with 4:40? I guess that explains why they started allowing carts.

On 9/8/2021 at 3:10 PM, ilikegolf26 said:
On 9/8/2021 at 2:59 PM, aus10KC said:

Something here doesn't make sense. If the rounds are taking 4:40 to 5:00 then walkers should not have any problem keeping up with the group in front of them even if that group is riding. I've played all of the Streamsong courses several times. I agree that rounds are usually pretty slow unless you get out very early in the morning. I think the reason is that the greens are large with loads of movement so players tend to spend a lot of time on the greens.  Most of my rounds are walking with the push cart and I've not had trouble keeping up with the group ahead. I almost wish I had that problem as it would indicate that the pace of play was better than it often is there.

On 9/28/2021 at 8:16 PM, Robber6656 said:

4:40? That’s pathetic. Walking in the Florida sun and they are happy with 4:40? I guess that explains why they started allowing carts.

Just got back and the scorecard does not say anything about anticipated pace of play.

We played in 4:15, 4:15, and 4:45 (afternoon)

On 10/1/2021 at 7:29 AM, sabram said:

Something here doesn't make sense. If the rounds are taking 4:40 to 5:00 then walkers should not have any problem keeping up with the group in front of them even if that group is riding. I've played all of the Streamsong courses several times. I agree that rounds are usually pretty slow unless you get out very early in the morning. I think the reason is that the greens are large with loads of movement so players tend to spend a lot of time on the greens.  Most of my rounds are walking with the push cart and I've not had trouble keeping up with the group ahead. I almost wish I had that problem as it would indicate that the pace of play was better than it often is there.

They said nothing of our times, just that we had to be 300 yards behind the group in front of us at all times. The group behind us was never waiting for very long, probably long enough for their caddie to give them the info on the hole. But you have 4 walkers with carts in front and behind us. I guess we should have walked faster???

I honestly don't even remember how long our round took, we had an hour lighting delay on I think hole 16. We were mostly hassled on the front 9 and I think it took us a little over 2 hours on the front.

2 hours ago, ND2005 said:

They've always allowed carts in the summer season. They don't want half their players dropping with heat stroke. 

I played in November when it first opened. There were no carts at any time unless you had a medical.  Do they have cart paths now? Didn't when I was there.

Edited by Robber6656

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, TrueBlue4Lyfe said:

Anything to know about going in December? I was surprised at how much cheaper it is compared to spring? Looks like it’s the best weather month.

I guess a big downside is the shortness of the days.

I did a trip the week between Christmas and New Year's a couple years ago(they had a special running at that time). It was fantastic. We were in short sleeve shirts and it was sunny but not hot - probably low 70s. And cool in the evenings so it made the rooftop bar and firepits nice. 

Courses were sort of semi-dormant. Not lush but still playing firm and greens were great. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2021 at 8:02 AM, ND2005 said:

I did a trip the week between Christmas and New Year's a couple years ago(they had a special running at that time). It was fantastic. We were in short sleeve shirts and it was sunny but not hot - probably low 70s. And cool in the evenings so it made the rooftop bar and firepits nice. 

Courses were sort of semi-dormant. Not lush but still playing firm and greens were great. 

If you don't mind me asking, do you remember about what time of the year you booked? Looking at potentially making a trip down there in early Jan and trying to figure out if I should wait for some deals to pop up or whether we should book now.

3 hours ago, datbigdog said:

If you don't mind me asking, do you remember about what time of the year you booked? Looking at potentially making a trip down there in early Jan and trying to figure out if I should wait for some deals to pop up or whether we should book now.

we went the week between Christmas and New Years, probably booked it ~8 weeks ahead of time. 

I haven’t noticed any “deal” packages from Streamsong lately. I think they are so busy they don’t feel the need to. 

On 10/17/2021 at 9:51 PM, TrueBlue4Lyfe said:

Anything to know about going in December? I was surprised at how much cheaper it is compared to spring? Looks like it’s the best weather month.

I guess a big downside is the shortness of the days.

They typically have specials during Christmas week - and do yourself a favor and CALL the resort to inquire about pricing and to book.  Don’t do it online, their website does not always show the correct prices, availability, etc.  I have been there several times and always get lower prices when I call to book and ask if you’re getting their best price on everything.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, datbigdog said:

We are going in early Jan.  I doubt you can get a room at any price by now.  I think they fill up fast during the prime months.

7 hours ago, JGRgolf said:

They typically have specials during Christmas week - and do yourself a favor and CALL the resort to inquire about pricing and to book.  Don’t do it online, their website does not always show the correct prices, availability, etc.  I have been there several times and always get lower prices when I call to book and ask if you’re getting their best price on everything.

They have the worst website of any golf resort I have ever dealt with.

On 10/27/2021 at 5:44 AM, JGRgolf said:

I haven’t gotten any of the usual holiday package marketing emails from them this year. 

I haven’t looked into it but I suspect they are booked up enough they aren’t having to offer the holiday special anymore