22 degree 4-Hybrid vs 22 degree 4-iron: pros and cons?

My playing partner is suggesting I lose my 4-iron and get a 22-degree 4-hybrid.  What are the pros and cons of each?  

Here is what I know so far: my 4-iron typically plays 215-225 with a good amount of spin.  With a good swing, I have a decent chance of the next shot being a putt when hitting into a green.

My 3-hybrid is a great club (818 F2).  It carries further than my 3-iron did (255 vs 235) but is more forgiving on toe misses; that swing tends to lose a lot of yardage on an iron but the hybrid keep the ball straight with a bit of turnover to the left and very little loss in distance.  Downside is that it is longer and I often have to choke up to keep the distance to where a 3-iron would be (although being 240 out doesn't happen that often: the last 4 times on the course I have hit into the green with the 3-hybrid from 240 or so, I was putting twice and the other 2 were 20-yards offline).  I also use it in lieu of a 5 wood for that 250-260 tee safe shot.  

A 4-hybrid is also a longer club than a 4-iron, which again, I assume, will produce more distance.  I am not sure about this; if a pin is 220, I need a club that goes reliably 215-225, not 240 all of the sudden.  I can choke down and swing easier, but if indeed this is the case and I replace my 4 iron with a 4-hybrid, I now have a gap above 210 to 240, which is a really common distance for me to be hitting into when I am playing a low to mid 500yd par 5 hole (or I sky-ball a tee shot on a long par 4).  I swing the 4-iron fairly often as a result. 

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Internet golf is different from real golf.

How are you always hitting greens from that far out?  Isn’t the avg proximity for +7 PGA tour players something like 47 feet from 225?   I find for me a 4h can be hit both ways and high and

I think there is more pros to the 4 hybrid then the 4 iron... that being said i use a 3 hybrid and a 4 iron. My 3 hybrid is ment for 190 200 yrd out. My 4iron is for 170 180.. no doubt the contact on the hybrid and off the tee is much more solid in alot more situations... sometimes i over hit the hybrid though vs the 4 iron can be under hit... they kind of balance out i guess. I just probably couldn't hit a 3 irons right so hybrid.

when my driver lets me down (more like i let it down by swinging it poorly) and im in the long stuff i dont even dare pull a 4i out the bag, i use my 4H every time, the hybrid is just so easy to use out of rough.

ill play opposite to ol' Ric Flair above and say a good graphite shaft promoting higher launch will help get the ball out there a bit easier, there's endless options out there now so im not gonna name names.

what shaft do you have in your 3H btw?

Ping G ∎ Ping G 2H ∎ Ping G410 4H ∎ X-Forged UT ∎ Apex Pro '19 4-AW ∎ PM Grind 2.0 ∎ Newport 3

I took the hybrids out of the bag because I simply hit them too high with too much spin. 

On a well struck 4i I can generate enough spin to get it to stop within a few feet but I can also hit it low and have it run out if I need to.

Sure, if I make bad contact it gets punished, but honestly that happens with the hybrid too.

• Like 1

Cobra SZ 9* : Ventus Blue 6-S

Cobra F9 Tour 4W : Tour AD TP 8-S

Cobra ForgedTec 3-iron : Nippon Modus3 105-S

Srixon Z785 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S

Cleveland RTX3 50, 54, 58 : Nippon 115-S Wedge

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

43 minutes ago, DMartini said:

when my driver lets me down (more like i let it down by swinging it poorly) and im in the long stuff i dont even dare pull a 4i out the bag, i use my 4H every time, the hybrid is just so easy to use out of rough.

ill play opposite to ol' Ric Flair above and say a good graphite shaft promoting higher launch will help get the ball out there a bit easier, there's endless options out there now so im not gonna name names.

what shaft do you have in your 3H btw?

It is a Fuji 7S Blue, but honestly that is probably too soft: I get a ton of launch with that club.  Driver is Pro CK Orange 70TX which is more inline with how I swing.  

The 4H I am considering is the latest Srixon w/HZRDus Black 85g X.  Probably fine for keeping the ball down.  I liked the price ($125 new) as my driver is a Z785 and I hit that better than any other driver I have tried. 

Edited by RoyalMustang
1 hour ago, RoyalMustang said:

My playing partner is suggesting I lose my 4-iron and get a 22-degree 4-hybrid.  What are the pros and cons of each?  

I'm unusual in that I carry a 4i and a 4H, both loft 22*. The 4i has been refitted with a hybrid shaft and is used mainly as a driving iron. It comes off low, straight and hot, carries about 170 and then runs out 15-20 yards. Great for tight landing areas. Can also use it for a stingerish approach shot into wind from good fairway lie.

After some good seasons, I traded in a Cobra FlyZs: a 4H and a 3H I used sometimes in windy weather instead of a 7W. The Calla BB O'size launches higher than the 4i, and carries 10 yards longer. Problem is, an occasional hook or push would be a disaster hitting into a tight short-hole landing area. This problem should go away as I get used to swinging it smoothly, as the shaft is 10 grams lighter than in the FlyZ.

Future decision: If I got back to four wedges, I would probably carry either the 4i or 4H depending on where I was playing. If the course had short par 4s with tight landing areas, the 4i would get the call. If the course was more open and had a couple of elevated greens, the 4H would be in the bag.

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges:  Calla MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

I have messed with my buddy's 4-hybrid.  His longest Ping iron is 5i.  Rest are hybrids and woods, with "S" moderate weight graphite. 

What I noticed most hitting his 4-hybrid, it's hard to manipulate distance and trajectory, as the head is not designed for that.  With my 4i I have three distances, normal 4i distance,  another 10yds longer and 10yds shorter than normal, and move the ball left and right too.  For what ever the reason, setting aside the odd head shape, I haven't found that same level of ball control with hybrid heads. 

Hybrid heads are designed with a lower and deeper centre of gravity which lifts the ball and has inherent forgiveness on miss hits.  Lots of people need or want that.  I don't need that help so it's not a highlight for me.  I naturally hit his 4-hybrid about 10-12yrds further than my 4i which is measly 180yd club (I am older than most here.) 

Anyhow, the other issue, least for me, is I hit my long irons well, even my 2i.  When I miss hit it's usually 10yds short and when I am purposely trying to hit a baby fade.  Go figure, I hit the ball relatively straight without much effort.  Hitting a really crisp long iron is personally satisfying for me.

Hitting any of my buddy's hybrids really well does NOT give me the same degree of satisfaction.  Again, I am talking about me.  In my hands, hybrid forgiveness seems to also limit the club to distance as opposed to playing with shots.  One man's opinion. 

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 1
  • Titleist TS2 9.5, Ventus 5 "S"
  • Titleist TS2 16.5*, Ventus 7 "S"
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 17* 2i, i110cw "S"
  • Titleist 620s - 3i-PW, PX 5.5
  • SM6 F-52/8, PX 5.5
  • SM6 M-58/8, DG-S200
  • SC CA Monterey
  • ProV1 or AVX
2 hours ago, RoyalMustang said:

Here is what I know so far: my 4-iron typically plays 215-225 with a good amount of spin.  With a good swing, I have a decent chance of the next shot being a putt when hitting into a green.

Doesn't matter what we think about hybrids. What's a decent chance? If you are getting on greens from 220 with a 4 iron, then I would keep doing that.

• Like 2

PING G410+ 9* TPO 60S

Adams XTD 17* Fubuki 

Callaway Apex 20* AD DI 85s

Callaway Apex 23* OBAN Kiyoshi Purple

5-6 Srixon Z585 Modus 120S

7-PW Srixon Z785 Modus 120S

50 Cleveland RTX 4

56 and 60, TM Hi Toe

EVNROLL ER3

I hit my 4-iron about the same as you.  I've tried a 22 hybrid(Adams Pro A12) and the hybrid was slightly more forgiving and gave me a higher ball flight that went about the same distance.  I had a hard time hitting lower trajectory shots with the hybrid .  I decided to stick with my set 4 iron since I hit it pretty well and can hit that lower trajectory shot when I need to.

Cobra F8+ 9.5* Diamana Whiteboard 60X

Cobra F9 Tour 3 wood 14.5* Diamana Whitebaord 70X

Bridgestone J33 5 wood 18* Diamana Whiteboard 70X

Bridgestone J15 CB 4-PW KBS C-Taper 130X

Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 50*, 54*, 60* KBS C-Taper 125S+

Odyssey O-Works 7s

Ball: 2020 Bridgestone Tour BXS

3 hours ago, RoyalMustang said:

The only players swinging 4-iron these days should be those with the swing speed to get high enough shot trajectory that the ball stops on the greens reasonably well. Or, those players on courses with open fronts to greens so that a shot may land a bit short and bounce and roll to the hole (links golf).

22*-23* hybrids are great for all players except maybe those with especially high swing speeds. The hybrid shots fly on a higher trajectory than a 4-iron, stop faster on greens, can be played from rough, sloped, hardpan and other less than ideals more easily than a 4-iron.

KZG SP700 driver

Srixon F65 3-wood

Srixon H65 3, 4 hybrids

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

5 hours ago, gbartko said:

4 hybrid with heavier steel shaft at 4 iron length. Keeps the gaps consistent. I play my 818H2 with PX 6.0 like this and it fits perfectly.

I was going to suggest something like this. I use a 23° Adams Super 9031 with a s300 shaft in it. I play it to the length of a stock 4 iron and it covers my gapping perfectly. 

If you’re worried about hitting it too high with too much spin, look for some smaller compact hybrids like the Adams 9031, M3, or the Apex Hybrid.  There are some other compact Adams hybrids similar to the 9031 floating around eBay as well. 

WITB
Driver: 10.5* SIM set 1 click lower with Elements Earth 7F4 or Diamana D+ x5ct 70s

Hybrids: 15* Adams XTD Super Hybrid Proforce V2 85F4, 19* Adams XTD Super Hybrid UTS Proforce VTS 100s, 23* Adams Super 9031 dgs300
Irons: 5-PW Ben Hoga PTx Pro Modus 125s
Wedges: 48* bent to 49* Vokey SM6 F Grind, Zipcore 52* Mid bent to 53*, Zipcore 56* Mid Raw bent to 58*. All wedges have DGTI S400
Putter: Toulon Las Vegas or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can Finish

Personally prefer 4 iron utility style over hybrid.  My 22* hybrid was a great trouble club (the last of Adams Tight Lies hybrids) but even with the same steel shaft as my 4 iron, I could hit it head scratchingly long or short sometimes and didn't feel comfortable with direction.  If you get the Srixon have a 4 iron shaft as backup.  May want to go 818H2 23* to be able to adjust loft higher to keep distance in check.  Or just stick with 4 iron which already sounds like a good club for you.

My current 4 iron is a 24* MP-H4 which is much better on distance control and accuracy, flies high like a hybrid but can knock down and does double duty covering my dropped 5 iron.  Still pretty good out of rough, aligns better than hybrid, and feels more solid.

@jah7838 curious how your Super 9031 feels compared to your irons? Always wanted to try one though I love striking solid long irons.

D Adams XTD, 70M4X 3W TEE CBX, HZBk75S 5W Titleist 915F, D+80X

3I Srixon Z 545 4I Mizuno MP-H4 6I-PW Mizuno MP-54, C Taper Lite X

GW Nike VPC, DGP S300 54 60 Cleveland CBX, DG S300 Cure CX3

@joostin I like the feel of the 9031 a lot. It’s not the same feel as my irons in terms of a forged iron, but it’s not a hard feeling hybrid by any means.  It just has a solid feel. 

If you’ve ever hit the XTD Super Hybrid, it feels similar to that for me. The LS XTD that came out after the original super hybrid felt awful to me. 

• Like 1

WITB
Driver: 10.5* SIM set 1 click lower with Elements Earth 7F4 or Diamana D+ x5ct 70s

Hybrids: 15* Adams XTD Super Hybrid Proforce V2 85F4, 19* Adams XTD Super Hybrid UTS Proforce VTS 100s, 23* Adams Super 9031 dgs300
Irons: 5-PW Ben Hoga PTx Pro Modus 125s
Wedges: 48* bent to 49* Vokey SM6 F Grind, Zipcore 52* Mid bent to 53*, Zipcore 56* Mid Raw bent to 58*. All wedges have DGTI S400
Putter: Toulon Las Vegas or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can Finish

14 hours ago, Fairway14 said:

The only players swinging 4-iron these days should be those with the swing speed to get high enough shot trajectory that the ball stops on the greens reasonably well. Or, those players on courses with open fronts to greens so that a shot may land a bit short and bounce and roll to the hole (links golf).

22*-23* hybrids are great for all players except maybe those with especially high swing speeds. The hybrid shots fly on a higher trajectory than a 4-iron, stop faster on greens, can be played from rough, sloped, hardpan and other less than ideals more easily than a 4-iron.

Well, that would be me. I get plenty of stopping power with my 4-iron.  Are you saying I won't have that kind of stopping power with the hybrid?

I use a 23 degree 4 hybrid and a 20 degree 3 hybrid. But they aren’t distance power hybrids. The original Apex hybrid is more iron like than fairway like which I prefer. 

In my opinion its all about swing/ball speed and how you deliver the club to decide which is best and what your longest iron should be. I’d look at land angle and peak height. I just can’t hit a 4i into a green with enough height and spin. But the 4hy just launches so easy it’s a no brainer. Honestly want a 5 hy if I were playing for money but just can’t make myself do it. For the record my driver speed is 101-103 mph. 

Webb Simpson is a Top 10 player in the world with 3 and 4 hybrid so probably should tell us that fewer of us should be playing 4 irons. 

default_callaway-small.jpg.0667322081ba61f1e13fcf849463e542.jpg

Epic Flash Sub Zero 9 degree (10°)- Hzrdus Yellow Handcrafted
Epic Flash Sub Zero 3W (16°)- Hzrdus Smoke
Apex 3 (20°) & 4 (23°) Hybrid- Kuro Kage
'18 Apex MB (8-PW) and '19 Apex Pro (5-7i) Nippon Pro Modus 105 s
MD3 Black 50°, 54° (S Grind), 58° (PM Grind)
Toulon Design Odyssey Atlanta or Stroke Lab Las Vegas
Ball: Bridgestone Tour BX
*Sometimes play strong 3w, 5 wood and 52/58 wedge setup

24 minutes ago, RoyalMustang said:

Well, that would be me. I get plenty of stopping power with my 4-iron.  Are you saying I won't have that kind of stopping power with the hybrid?

I believe most especially high swing speed players carry a 4-iron . If they carry a hybrid at all it is probably one  of 18* to 20* loft.

The reason high swing speed players usually don't play 22* to 25* hybrids is that the shot trajectory becomes too high for their liking.

KZG SP700 driver

Srixon F65 3-wood

Srixon H65 3, 4 hybrids

How are you always hitting greens from that far out?  Isn’t the avg proximity for +7 PGA tour players something like 47 feet from 225?

I find for me a 4h can be hit both ways and high and low .. plus it is way easier from the rough ... YMMV

for me hybrid shafts are like driver shafts .. you need the right one

So many stronger players hit a hybrid with a 65g stiff shaft and then disaster ensues

Drop in a 90 x and watch the MAGIC

• Like 3

Ping G400 Max 10.5* Fubuki K 60x

Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard 73x Ping G400 7w 19.5* Diamana B 80s

Callaway Apex 4h 23* Fubuki 82x Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 90s

Mizuno 919T 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype 95 f4
Vokey SM2 50*, SM2 TVD 56*M & 59*M, 64* Recoil Proto 95 f4

Piretti Matera Elite

1 hour ago, cardoustie said:

How are you always hitting greens from that far out?  Isn’t the avg proximity for +7 PGA tour players something like 47 feet from 225?

I find for me a 4h can be hit both ways and high and low .. plus it is way easier from the rough ... YMMV

So many stronger players hit a hybrid with a 65g stiff shaft and then disaster ensues

Honestly, when I am 200 out or have a long par 3, hitting the green is just a bonus.  I don't worry about the flag or any trouble...I just consider the wind, elevation, and then aim to the right side of the green, swing away and hope.

4 iron pros: looks cool.

4 iron cons: misses all the time, poor swings add strokes instead of just missing the green

4 hybrid pros: hits it in the green complex basically every time

4 hybrid cons: doesn’t look as cool

• Like 1

Ping G30 Driver, 3 Wood, 3-5 hybrids TFC-419 Stock Stiff

Bridgestone j40 DPC 5-PW Tour Issue x100

Titleist sm4 50/12 sm5 56/10-S Tour Issue s400

4 hours ago, brew4eagle said:

Sounds like you have plenty of swingspeed and should just stick with the 4 iron

I went to the range today with the Srixon test 4-Hybrid and my 4-iron.  I was aiming for a flag 205 out (roughly 220 with a real ball).  

I took 10 swings with each: the Srixon w/Smoke 6.0 75g was too light and really inconsistent. I didn't get a good feel for it.  Some pulls, some draws, a duffed shot, and 2 balls that would have been on the green. 

My MMC 4-iron was far better.  Out of the 10 swings, 3 were right at the flag, 2 were fairly close and either would have been putts or a fairly short chip, 2 were straight but about 15-20 yards short (hit fat), 2 were roughly 20 yards offline, and the final one was a big miss right.  

trajectory-wise, they were about the same.  4H went about 10 yards further but I couldn't hit it consistently. 

Edited by RoyalMustang
3 hours ago, cardoustie said:

Actually, that makes sense: tour players are not playing 510 yard par 5s.  When I hit a 4-iron from 220, I probably had a good drive, 290 yards in the fairway.  Those guys are playing 580 yard par 5's and hitting monster drives, maybe 340, and are going to be more offline (lots of missed fairways) to even have a shot at a 4-iron.  Hitting a 4-iron from the rough is a lot different than from the fairway; they are playing much tougher conditions.  From deep rough from 220, I am not hitting my 4-iron: I am laying up with a 8-iron and giving myself a relatively easy chip.  

If you just handed them a 4-iron and said "aim for that imaginary green 220 yards out" on the range, they would be more like 8/10 or 9/10. 

The 2 guys I play with that are close to scratch can make that long iron more often than me, but again, we aren't talking tournament conditions.  Just like PGA putts/round isn't really comparable to a country club course amateur putts/round number, for all sorts of reasons (difficulty of greens, GIR factors). 

It is hard to find a hybrid that works for you, but it might be worth the effort.  For me a hybrid with about 3-4 degrees more loft goes the same distance as an iron, it just gets there with higher trajectory.

If you are already hitting high trajectory long irons then hybrids might not provide a benefit. If you hit long irons low then there is a huge benefit.

Most of the hybrid hooks I've had have been hitting out on the toe.  That can be fixed.

For me the most significant benefit of my 22* 4 hybrid is that it is much easier with which to play shots from light rough or a sloped fairway lie than is a 4-iron.

• Like 2

KZG SP700 driver

Srixon F65 3-wood

Srixon H65 3, 4 hybrids

1 hour ago, RoyalMustang said:

Actually, that makes sense: tour players are not playing 510 yard par 5s.  When I hit a 4-iron from 220, I probably had a good drive, 290 yards in the fairway.  Those guys are playing 580 yard par 5's and hitting monster drives, maybe 340, and are going to be more offline (lots of missed fairways) to even have a shot at a 4-iron.  Hitting a 4-iron from the rough is a lot different than from the fairway; they are playing much tougher conditions.  From deep rough from 220, I am not hitting my 4-iron: I am laying up with a 8-iron and giving myself a relatively easy chip.  

If you just handed them a 4-iron and said "aim for that imaginary green 220 yards out" on the range, they would be more like 8/10 or 9/10. 

The 2 guys I play with that are close to scratch can make that long iron more often than me, but again, we aren't talking tournament conditions.  Just like PGA putts/round isn't really comparable to a country club course amateur putts/round number, for all sorts of reasons (difficulty of greens, GIR factors). 

you think a tour pro is 8/10 or 9/10 from the fairway at 220?!!?

its not even close. They’re not even that good from 150.

golfers remember great shots and forget average shots.  You seem like a good guy and you make good, interesting posts.  That said, there is no way in hell you “often hit the green with a 4 iron with a good swing.”

also, don’t pick clubs based on sample sizes of 10 swings on the range.

Ping G30 Driver, 3 Wood, 3-5 hybrids TFC-419 Stock Stiff

Bridgestone j40 DPC 5-PW Tour Issue x100

Titleist sm4 50/12 sm5 56/10-S Tour Issue s400