I have been golfing a decent amount this year and hope to continue next season. I am looking to get a new set of irons and wedges. My question is if the iron set comes with a GW of ~49 degree loft and my bag only has room for 2 more wedges, is it better to get a 52 and 56 or a 56 and a 60?

P.S. I realize its also possible to get a 54 and 60 but I don't want to break the bank and 54s seem rarer and offered by more expensive brands.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hit them if you can.  Loft gaps don't necessarily mean distance gaps.   Dave

There's nothing better or worse about bending strong or weak. It just depends on what you're trying to get to.   Bending weaker will add bounce and stronger will remove bounce. But if you ar

2 hours ago, dhen9 said:

I always try to keep 3-5 degrees between my wedges. buy the 52-56 and have them bent 1* weak. 

This is what I am going to do. I also have a 49 * gap. I feel a 53, 57 should be perfect. But just curious, why bending weak is better than strong? Is it something to do with removing bounce instead of adding it? Also curious if anyone knows how grind would be affected (if at all) when bending wedges?

thanks!

Edited by DarthFader17

Are you sure you need a 3i, ermmm umm a '4 iron' at the top of the bag that's is a wee bit strong?  But personally I'm a 54/58 guy, so that would be my direction.

SM 3.5 Bag:

G410 Plus 9* w/ Tensei Orange Pro 6X

TM Sim Ti 14* w/ Kai'Li 80X

Titleist TS3 19* w/ Evenflow EF T1100 6.0

TBD

TBD

Piretti Potenza II 365g 34"

You seem to be lukewarm about the LW. In the past, have you used a 58* or a 60*?

Personally, I have struggled with 60* wedges on distance control, but have done well with 58*.

If you got a 54 + 58 this might give you some even gapping. (Note: quite a few players only hit partial shots with LW)

If you're mixing set wedges with specialty wedges, one or the other may have a hotter face. So, this means you should avoid bending until you have hit trail shots to see how far each one carries. 

8 hours ago, CSgolf006 said:

P.S. I realize its also possible to get a 54 and 60 but I don't want to break the bank and 54s seem rarer and offered by more expensive brands.

Wedges with 52-56-60 only in offerings tend to be the budget wedges. Nothing wrong with budget wedges, but you don't get the variety offered by major brands. 54* is not all that rare.

If we get a break in COVID (hope, hope...) try some of the spring golf expos. You likely could pick up a couple of matching phased out wedges for under $100 each. 

Edited by ChipNRun

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges:  Calla MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

8 hours ago, CSgolf006 said:

I have been golfing a decent amount this year and hope to continue next season. I am looking to get a new set of irons and wedges. My question is if the iron set comes with a GW of ~49 degree loft and my bag only has room for 2 more wedges, is it better to get a 52 and 56 or a 56 and a 60?

Thanks in advance.

Consider a component company for a better price. I use Acer wedges and the heads are only $12 ea.

https://www.valuegolf.com/wedge-heads/acer-xb-satin-wedge-heads

Driver: TM R540

Fairways: TM V-Steel

Hybrid: Nickent 3DX

Irons: TA 845s OS RO

Wedges: Acer XB Satin

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #1

6 hours ago, DarthFader17 said:

This is what I am going to do. I also have a 49 * gap. I feel a 53, 57 should be perfect. But just curious, why bending weak is better than strong? Is it something to do with removing bounce instead of adding it? Also curious if anyone knows how grind would be affected (if at all) when bending wedges?

thanks!

There's nothing better or worse about bending strong or weak. It just depends on what you're trying to get to.

Bending weaker will add bounce and stronger will remove bounce. But if you are only talking about a 1* change it really won't matter. The grind of the sole doesn't change when you bend.

As others have pointed out, don't get too hung up on the actual number. Make the gaps work for the distance you want.

• Like 1

Cobra SZ 9* : Ventus Blue 6-S

Cobra F9 Tour 4W : Tour AD TP 8-S

Cobra ForgedTec 3-iron : Nippon Modus3 105-S

Srixon Z785 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S

Cleveland RTX3 50, 54, 58 : Nippon 115-S Wedge

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

On 10/24/2020 at 6:56 AM, CSgolf006 said:

. My question is if the iron set comes with a GW of ~49 degree loft and my bag only has room for 2 more wedges

Buy a 56* and a 64*

KZG SP700 driver

Srixon F65 3-wood

Srixon H65 3, 4 hybrids

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

On 10/24/2020 at 9:56 AM, CSgolf006 said:

Thanks in advance.

I’d go 54 and 59 (bend a 60 to 59) 

Current mix .... 44-49-54-59-64 

Ping G400 Max 10.5* Fubuki K 60x

Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard 73x Ping G400 7w 19.5* Diamana B 80s

Callaway Apex 4h 23* Fubuki 82x Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 90s

Mizuno 919T 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype 95 f4
Vokey SM2 50*, SM2 TVD 56*M & 59*M, 64* Recoil Proto 95 f4

Piretti Matera Elite

On 10/24/2020 at 6:56 AM, CSgolf006 said:

Thanks in advance.

If I continue to play my Titleist T-MB set one of my options is bend my Callaway X wedges one degree weaker 49, 53, 57. I'm currently using 50, 54, 58 Titleist wedges.

Driver Titleist 913 10.5 Diamana Whiteboard 63 stiff

4 Wood Titleist 913 16..25 Diamana Whiteboard 73 stiff

7 Wood Titleist 913 21 Diamana Whiteboard 83 stiff

Irons 4-PW Titleist 716 T-MB KBS C-Taper Lite stiff

Gap wedge Titleist SM6 50 Dynamic Gold 115

Sand wedge Titleist Vokey TVD 54 K grind Dynamic Gold 115

Lob wedge Titleist Vokey TVD 58 K grind Dynamic Gold 115

Putter Scotty Cameron Red X3