Taylormade Tour Heads what are they?

So if there a difference with TM Tour heads vs retail? I keep seeing on another site tour heads for sale with sticker specs attached usually for loft, lie angle, weight, etc. so aside from knowing the ACTUAL specs of the head, is there anything else different? I realize an off the shelf say 3 wood head labeled 15 degrees is probably not 15 degrees but is the head made any different? Thanks. 

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A very solid source once told they are made of very special "metals"   Metals that mere mortals cant obtain.....      

Tour heads are made from the same place as retail heads BUT have their weight and lofts digitally measured to satisfy the high standards of the best players in the world.

1) Most tour heads are retail heads.  Just measured and CT/COR tested then stamped with a serial number signifying they are good to use in tournament play.     2) There are tour only version

Posted Images

No difference.  Some are actually slightly lighter than retail to allow for hot melt

Driver: Taylormade SIM Max 8º (8.75º) w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 65s

Fairway: Taylormade SIM Tour TI (v2) 3w @ 16.4º w/ Diamana TB 70s

Hybrid: Titleist TS3 @ 19º w/ ProjectX Hzrdus Smoke Black 90s

Irons: Miura TC-201 (4-6); MB-101 (7-PW) w/ MMT 105TX (ss*1)

Wedges: Artisan Raw @ 51º, 56º, 61º

Putter: Artisan 0117 Deep Milled

Tour heads are made from the same place as retail heads BUT have their weight and lofts digitally measured to satisfy the high standards of the best players in the world.

• Like 1

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft
1999 Ben Hogan Apex Blades (3-PW) with stock Apex 4 Steel Shafts
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts
Taylormade ATV wedges in 54 and 58 degrees with stock steel shafts
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

In most cases (not all) the heads are the same just measured and CT tested.

Ping G410LST 9* / Fuji Ventus Black 7X                  

Cally Mav SZ 13.5* / Fuji Ventus Black 7X               

Cally Mav Pro 20*  / Fuji Ventus Black 10TX

Honma 737V / Mitsubishi MMT 125TX

Cally MD5 wedges / Mitsu MMT 125TX

Weight,Face Angle,Lie Angle.

Flatter lie angle and non closed face,then weight of the Head.I buy sell a lot,even iron sets with MP on them can have a heavy or lite head in the set eg +8 grams. Need too know real loft for that tweener fwy eg  16 16.5 17 17.5 and 58,57.56 degree lie angle.

ps just repainted and reshafted my TM Vsteel 5... nice sqr face..same turf interaction as TM SIM i am told...

16035644796337076445012952206858.jpg

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

Retail heads are worked to a 10% tolerance, Tour heads are worked to 1% tolerance...or so I heard.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff
Wilson Staff PMP wedges 50/54/58 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
Radius Classic 8

5 minutes ago, Jc0 said:

That's not how tolerances work. 

I may well have misquoted, but I know what I meant. Check out the article at:

www.thepeoplesclubs.com/tourissue

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff
Wilson Staff PMP wedges 50/54/58 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
Radius Classic 8

9 minutes ago, mahonie said:

I may well have misquoted, but I know what I meant. Check out the article at:

www.thepeoplesclubs.com/tourissue

The comment there doesn't even make any sense. Tour issue heads aren't held to any tighter tolerances or else the would be exactly on the stamped number or within .1 or .2. They are just measured so you know what the specs actually are. Tolerance are to the intended dimension. So a tour issues loft of 9.6 on a 10.5 still missed the intended loft by .9 which would be bad even by regular standards. They just measured it so they know what it actually is. 

1) Most tour heads are retail heads.  Just measured and CT/COR tested then stamped with a serial number signifying they are good to use in tournament play.  

2) There are tour only versions of clubs that are different from retail.  Callaway is best know for this nowadays, before it was TM.  For example the single and double diamond Cally drivers and Taylormade SIM Max fairway wood.  

• Like 1

Ping G410LST 9* / Fuji Ventus Black 7X                  

Cally Mav SZ 13.5* / Fuji Ventus Black 7X               

Cally Mav Pro 20*  / Fuji Ventus Black 10TX

Honma 737V / Mitsubishi MMT 125TX

Cally MD5 wedges / Mitsu MMT 125TX

Biggest differences are face angle and weight(added hot melt).  I've had a lot of tour issue heads in the past although my SIM MAX currently is retail.  I usually like my heads cranked open 2 to 3 degrees and retail heads are usually slightly closed to slightly open.  As others have said, the CT is also measured for TI heads whereas retail heads are a crap shoot.  You could get a really hot head or a dead head. 

Edited by phizzy30

TM SIM MAX 9* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/Ventus Blue 8x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

Vega VDC-01 4-PW w/Recoil Proto 125 F5

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+

58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Newport 1

Snell MTB-X

I'll never believe that they are, only because I've caved in or cracked every single TM 3 wood I tried out (3 of them, an original M2, the 2017 M2 they sent to replace it and the other 2017 M2 that replaced the replacement). I don't swing as fast as some of the bombers they have on staff and I sure as hell don't hit as many balls and I only ever hit 3-wood off the tee. I find it hard to believe that I'm just unlucky 3 times in a row and they're giving that junk to tour staff.

Come at me all you want, but I won't play TaylorMade stuff anymore.

TSi3 8º w/ LAGP TOUR AXS 70X
917F3 16.5º w/ Grafalloy blue
T-MB 2 iron C-Taper
Mizuno MP-5,  4-9 C-Taper
SM6 47º, 52º, 56º, 60 C-Taper
Scotty Special Select Newport 2, 35" Tour Issue X7, Hard stepped x2, Tipped 2"

1 minute ago, The Mad Bomber said:

Come at me all you want, but I won't play TaylorMade stuff anymore.

Same here on woods. My brother built up two R510 TP drivers from new, and gave me the one he didn't like as much. We both loved them but also both cracked the face and TM's response was that they wouldn't cover TP products period. They definitely weren't unreasonably worn like the guys who show pics of clubs that were obviously demo workhorses. That's all I need to know about TM. The tour staff could crack a thousand drivers and never have to worry, but the paying consumer has zero coverage. Not sure if they kept up that attitude, but it turned me off.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, bnperrone said:

Same here on woods. My brother built up two R510 TP drivers from new, and gave me the one he didn't like as much. We both loved them but also both cracked the face and TM's response was that they wouldn't cover TP products period. They definitely weren't unreasonably worn like the guys who show pics of clubs that were obviously demo workhorses. That's all I need to know about TM. The tour staff could crack a thousand drivers and never have to worry, but the paying consumer has zero coverage. Not sure if they kept up that attitude, but it turned me off.

They did replace the heads that I destroyed, I have to say that. But being up here in Canada, it took a long time to get warranty. I spent most of those two summers playing with my old Titleist 909 before I finally went back to it full time after the 3rd M2 cracked

Edited by The Mad Bomber

TSi3 8º w/ LAGP TOUR AXS 70X
917F3 16.5º w/ Grafalloy blue
T-MB 2 iron C-Taper
Mizuno MP-5,  4-9 C-Taper
SM6 47º, 52º, 56º, 60 C-Taper
Scotty Special Select Newport 2, 35" Tour Issue X7, Hard stepped x2, Tipped 2"