Anyone using a 54 degree wedge for all short game duty?

I hate carrying extra wedges; I have been thinking of going to either a 50/56 or a 50/54/58 (occasionally 58).  I have been playing our little short course (45-120 yards, 6 holes, greens roughly 1/2 size of regular, lots of terrain and deep rough if you are offline).  I usually play a 56 but today played a 54 (along with a putter of course).  My thinking is that time would be better spent learning to do all of the shots with a single wedge, rather than learning 2 wedge distances and feels with the limited practice time I have. 

The 54 was really nice: the 120 yard hole that I have trouble getting the ball to with the 56 was makeable with the 54 (it plays 110 downhill).  All of my other swings, most of them in the 65-90 yard range, were easy to figure out tempo-wise with the 54. I was able to do steeper pitches with that 54, and bump and run was far better than the 56. Even though my putting was off, I was able to shoot +5 for 18, which is a good score for me on that little tough course.  I just choke down if I want to hit the ball shorter (such as the 45 yd hole).  

Anyone else playing this strategy long-term? 

• Like 2
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Use my 54 for everything but bunkers or short sided shots where I need the extra loft of my 58.   As to ball position, I have adopted Phil's approach and it has been working well for me. 

I have a 50* GW that is really like an 11 iron.  My 54* wedge does pretty much everything around greens and inside of 50 yards except bunkers.   The 58* lobber is my 'sand wedge'.

I started using just a 55 degree wedge this year and it honestly changed my game.  I've always been a solid short game player but this just simplified things for me.  I'm never going back.  

Posted Images

My 54° is my go to unless the 60° is needed for some kind of flop. I use a 50°, 54°, 60° setup but feel most comfy with the 54.    

Driver: PXG 0811x 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 Evolution IV 
Irons: Mizuno 921 Forged 4-PW, Recoils 95 F4*
Hybrids: PXG 0317X 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: Ping Vault 2.0 Ketcsh (solid black)  
Bag: Mizuno K1-LO white/staff blue (something new is coming, cant decide.)
Ball: Titleist Pro V1, Snell MTB-X, Maxfli Tour

Depends on how much you can break down your tempo.

image.png.772f5b302767f9f4ae2993239848428d.pngDave Pelz suggests having greenside pitches and full wedges, along with three partial-distance shots per wedge. He gauges  these shots using "clockface position" of the lead arm at top of backswing:

• 7:30 (50%)
  • 9:00 (75%)
  • 10:30 (90%)

I do 7:30 and 9:00, but can't split out the 10:30 reliably. (I just jump to full shot)

A local pro known as a short-game guru holds that he can coax out five partial wedge positions.

If you have "the touch" - I know some people who do - go with it! I don't, I struggle to be a good "clockface" mechanic.

Note on 54* vs. 56*. I have played well with both.  The 54* seems slightly better as a pitching club, while the 56* slightly better as a bunker club. If the 54* can get you out of the sand, you're in good shape.

• Like 1

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges:  Calla MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

54 was my most used wedge. I had a 58 I rarely used as well. Distance gaping with my new irons has forced a change though. I tried 52, 56; with plans if maybe adding a 60. I just couldn’t get used to the 56, though I probably didn’t give that much time to adjust. I’m currently 52 and back to a 58 but I went with a different bounce/grind. A few rounds in and I am finding the 52 is my main short game club in nearly the same way my 54 was. The new 58 will be used mostly for bunkers, a full swing shot over trees, short sided shots, and I’ve developed a pretty automatic 40 yard half-ish swing shot. 

I like using fewer wedges. I found that trying to decide between more options was more detrimental to my short game than having more partial swing shots with less wedges. 

But I’ll add that I shoot in the low 90s or occasionally the high 80s so I wouldn’t say I know what I’m talking about. 

Edited by rkillian
Clarification
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Callaway Rogue 9* @ 10* Project X HZRDUS Yellow 75

Callaway Epic Flash 5W [email protected] 17* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75

Callaway Rogue 4H 21* Project X EvenFlow Black 85

Callaway Mavrik Max 6-7i KBS Max 90

Callaway Mavrik Pro 8-AW True Temper Elevate 105

Tommy Armour GXT 52* Dynamic Gold S200

Titleist Vokey SM7 58* D Dynamic Gold S200

Odyssey O-Works Red Jailbird Mini S

52 minutes ago, mizunotpz said:

The 54 degree is really versatile. As long as you have a grind that is easy to open up. I use 50/54/58. I can hit full shots with my 50 but I never do that with the 54 or 58. Thats 80% shots tops. Most bunkers I use the 54, think its easier to control distance with a 54 vs a 58.

this one is WS grind by Ping (it was a freebee when I bought a set of i210s here from a guy that they didn't fit).  Does that fit the bill? I didn't hit sand: we were deluged yesterday and the traps are basically churned cement right now. 

53-54 has been my favorite sand wedge loft for ever.  Truthfully don’t really need a lob wedge.  The one in every 20 rounds super flop isn’t a good enough excuse.  

• Like 2

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red 6x 

TM RBZ 14* Addi 8x 

TM Gapr bonded 18* evenflow blue 6.5 

Miura MC-501 3-Pw DG.X7

Artisan 53 59 s400

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

I use 54 for basically all my Short game shots except sand shots or extremely Short sided. It is the easiest wedge to flight for me and handles partials the best for me. 

TS3 8.5 Ventus Blue 7x or ZF 60TX

Ping G410 17 degree Ventus Blue 9x

Callaway UT 21 bent to 19 KBS Proto 105X

T100S 1 degree weak 4-PW Project X 7.0

SM8 50 Project X 6.5 
SM7 54 Project X 6.5 

Taylormade Hi-Toe 60 Project X 6.5

Piretti Cottonwood II or Scotty Newport 2 w/ Stability Shaft

Srixon XV 

6 minutes ago, mizunotpz said:

The wide sole is maybe not ideal for opening up the face, but its a really solid performer and the most forgiving Ping option. And how often do you feel the need to open up the face? Guessing you would pick a 58 degree if you need more loft?

Great question: in my 18-hole short course round today, maybe 3-4 times. I duffed one though; it could have been me. I took some flop shots beforehand on the range and it was really inconsistent with that club. I picked a couple clean and full-swinged them 40 yards.  Another couple I got under and sent them 15 yards.  That is a super high risk shot for me, although I do the half-swing, pick the club up swing quite often out of thicker rough (basically a bunker swing).  I probably open the face 10 degrees every 3 holes or so; anytime I have a tight pin placement.  

It sounds like the 54 could be the go-to for most of the time and perhaps a 56-58 for opening up the face and doing something extra.  Or, just get a different 54. I used this one as it was lying around and feels great. I also tried a CBX2 today 54 w/DG115 shaft and it just felt too light for a wedge.  

1 minute ago, LeftyMatt24 said:

I use 54 for basically all my Short game shots except sand shots or extremely Short sided. It is the easiest wedge to flight for me and handles partials the best for me. 

Good to know.  I found it easy to manipulate as well; it was just comfortable in my hands.  I usually shoot 7-10 over for that par 18 short course and being 5 over w/several missed putts was a great result.  I grew up playing with a 50 degree being my lowest lofted club back in the mid 90's in junior high.  I never had a sand wedge (playing Ping Karsten I clubs bought for $70 at a garage sale) and although I wasn't the best short game player, I was serviceable and it got me medalist honors in a couple of junior tournaments. 

On flatter, low cost, low construction value tracks, as well as many links-style holes, your best shot choice is to get the ball on the ground as quickly as possible with a gap wedge or similar, and let the ball roll. Unfortunately, if that’s the extent of your short-game prowess, when you happen on greens with substantial defenses, long rough, short-sided pins, and such, you’re going to get crucified. Skilled use of a 58 to 60 degree wedge is perhaps the key to good scoring for those who don’t have the time to play on a semi-daily basis.

• Like 1

Just switched from a 50 56 60 to 50 54 58.       Started with the 58 for green side duty but after practicing with both I quickly went to 54.    Same spin lower flight and just so much more consistent for me.    Still use 58 as primary bunker club and when I need that high launch and stopping power.  I got SM8 in 54.10S and 58.08M

Right now I'm doing everything with my 46 & 54.08M after giving my brother-in-law my 50*.  The 54 is a wonderful club and I can use it for nearly anything inside of 130 yards, including low chips.  I do plan to add a 60 but I could live without.   I think maybe I could be getting more out of bunker play with another club, but I do fine.

Last year I switched from a 52/58 setup to 50/54/58 and have fallen in love with my 54* wedge.  I have always been a fan of my 52*, but I’ve found 54* to be exceptionally versatile.  It is now my general go to on most shots.  I still use my 58* for bunker and short side shots, but I have found that my 54* is my most comfortable wedge.

TaylorMade SIM 10.5*, HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g 6.5
TaylorMade SIM Max 3W 15*, HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g 6.5
TaylorMade SIM Max 3H 19*, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 85X
Taylormade P770 4-PW, KBS Tour 120 S
Titleist Vokey SM8 50F, 54S, 58M

TaylorMade Spider X
SM 4.5LS 14 Way

Hooded 54 is my bump and run go to ... oh and I love it for long greenside bunker shots

no chance I could survive without a 60 and 64 

Ping G400 Max 10.5* Fubuki K 60x

Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard 73x Ping G400 7w 19.5* Diamana B 80s

Callaway Apex 4h 23* Fubuki 82x Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 90s

Mizuno 919T 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype 95 f4
Vokey SM2 50*, SM2 TVD 56*M & 59*M, 64* Recoil Proto 95 f4

Piretti Matera Elite

Higher bounce 56 with some heel and trailing edge relief is my everything club (chips, pitches, bunker) have a lower bounce 60 for really tight lies or really need to land something really high and soft.  Depending on loft of PW, will then dictate how i fill my gaps, but I have pretty much stuck with 56/60 on the end of the bag.

My Miura HB 54 is my go to wedge out of the bunker and around the greens on most stock shots.  I will only pull out the 58 if I absolutely have to hit it high and spin it. 

Edited by phizzy30

TM SIM MAX 9* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/Ventus Blue 8x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

Vega VDC-01 4-PW w/Recoil Proto 125 F5

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+

58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Newport 1

Snell MTB-X

17 hours ago, RoyalMustang said:

Great question: in my 18-hole short course round today, maybe 3-4 times. I duffed one though; it could have been me. I took some flop shots beforehand on the range and it was really inconsistent with that club. I picked a couple clean and full-swinged them 40 yards.  Another couple I got under and sent them 15 yards.  That is a super high risk shot for me, although I do the half-swing, pick the club up swing quite often out of thicker rough (basically a bunker swing).  I probably open the face 10 degrees every 3 holes or so; anytime I have a tight pin placement.  

It sounds like the 54 could be the go-to for most of the time and perhaps a 56-58 for opening up the face and doing something extra.  Or, just get a different 54. I used this one as it was lying around and feels great. I also tried a CBX2 today 54 w/DG115 shaft and it just felt too light for a wedge.  

If youre not on a really tight lie the wide sole will be fine. But since the sole is wide it will have more actual bounce than stated on the club. But your misses sounds more like your error. I would suggest looking over your technique. Not saying its bad, but I should check and go over the fundamentals. Ball position. I always play my chip shots with 54 slightly inside my right foot. And get my chest a little infront of the ball and open the stance but have the shoulders to the target. And like 60-40% weight distribution all through the shot. If you havent thought about this key marks I would advice you to!!