Anyone using a 54 degree wedge for all short game duty?

I go pw-50-54-60

I rarely use the 50 for chipping...rarely. 

It's either 54 or 60 and I'd say I use each 50% of the time. The club depends on carry and shot length. If I don't have much room to carry then I go 60. 

Short game is all about landing spots. For a 54 I need to carry it about 50% of the shot distance (less than 30 yard shot).  For 60, I need to land it about 60% of the carry. 60 is the only club I open up. 

I play them both equally from bunkers, again, depending on the length of the shot and where I need to land it.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Use my 54 for everything but bunkers or short sided shots where I need the extra loft of my 58.   As to ball position, I have adopted Phil's approach and it has been working well for me. 

I have a 50* GW that is really like an 11 iron.  My 54* wedge does pretty much everything around greens and inside of 50 yards except bunkers.   The 58* lobber is my 'sand wedge'.

I started using just a 55 degree wedge this year and it honestly changed my game.  I've always been a solid short game player but this just simplified things for me.  I'm never going back.  

Posted Images

I'm currently playing Vokey SM8 wedges - 50* F Grind, 54* S Grind and 58* D Grind.  Of the 3 wedges I'd say the 54* gets used about 70% of the time.

My PW is my 105-115 yard club.  50* gap wedge is 95-105 club.  I honestly don't play a lot of "touch" shots with the 50* gap wedge.  54 is my "go to" inside 85 yards and the grind lets me play a lot of different type of shots.  The 58* wedge is almost exclusively used out of the bunker unless I need to hit a really high shot for some reason.

That said, I tend to use my PW a lot around the green to chip unless I need to get some height on the shot then I'll go with the 54* wedge.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, getitdaily said:

I go pw-50-54-60

I rarely use the 50 for chipping...rarely. 

It's either 54 or 60 and I'd say I use each 50% of the time. The club depends on carry and shot length. If I don't have much room to carry then I go 60. 

Short game is all about landing spots. For a 54 I need to carry it about 50% of the shot distance (less than 30 yard shot).  For 60, I need to land it about 60% of the carry. 60 is the only club I open up. 

I play them both equally from bunkers, again, depending on the length of the shot and where I need to land it.

starting today (waiting for the delivery man), my new setup will be pw (45) - gw (50) and the only thing left to complete the bag is should I add 54 and a 58 or go with a 54 and 60.

the 54 is a given so really, the question is, what should be my most lofted club (58 or 60). what is the best methodology to solve this puzzle.

similar to you, I would only use the 58 or 60 for short pitches, tight lies, bunkers...all around the green (no full shots).

should I be buying both (58 and 60) and testing them out or start with 58 and see how it goes for couple of months and then tweak if necessary?

(current set is pw-gw-56-60 but the set if 12+ yrs old and due for upgrade)

3 minutes ago, gordita said:

starting today (waiting for the delivery man), my new setup will be pw (45) - gw (50) and the only thing left to complete the bag is should I add 54 and a 58 or go with a 54 and 60.

the 54 is a given so really, the question is, what should be my most lofted club (58 or 60). what is the best methodology to solve this puzzle.

similar to you, I would only use the 58 or 60 for short pitches, tight lies, bunkers...all around the green (no full shots).

should I be buying both (58 and 60) and testing them out or start with 58 and see how it goes for couple of months and then tweak if necessary?

(current set is pw-gw-56-60 but the set if 12+ yrs old and due for upgrade)

I never even thought about going 58. That 60 is meant for higher, softer landing so why not make it that...? 

My 54-60 gaps are tight. 54 at 1/2 goes 100. 60 at full goes 100-105. I'd even entertain a 62 if I felt it would be advantageous over the 60. I just don't need to open up the 60 that often and I'm comfortable with it when I do.

40 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

I never even thought about going 58. That 60 is meant for higher, softer landing so why not make it that...? 

My 54-60 gaps are tight. 54 at 1/2 goes 100. 60 at full goes 100-105. I'd even entertain a 62 if I felt it would be advantageous over the 60. I just don't need to open up the 60 that often and I'm comfortable with it when I do.

I suppose my problem is that my 60 is inconsistent. I have a steep AOA and just a bit of extra depth on the 54 is no problem. On the 60, it results in a severe undercut with my distance being roughly 1/2 of planned distance.  

I played around more with the 54 yesterday, both at the pitch and putt, and on the range.  I worked on opening up the face and could get full swings anywhere between 65 and 105 yards.  Hit 15/24 GIR on the pitch and putt with it.  

I tired some stuff with 58 and really struggled: It was too easy to get under the ball and I duffed a couple of chips, even short ones.  

I suppose I just find it easier to manipulate the 54 clubface rather than play around with the 58.  Short game is extremely "feel" oriented for me and at this point, perhaps learning just one club will be more efficient for me.  Does that make sense?  It is similar to the 9-holes I played the other day where I just used my PW for everything from 85-130 and tried to "feel" the right tempo for each distance.  It didn't hurt me at all; I had a ton of par chances and my distance was spot on for the most part.  

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, RoyalMustang said:

I suppose my problem is that my 60 is inconsistent. I have a steep AOA and just a bit of extra depth on the 54 is no problem. On the 60, it results in a severe undercut with my distance being roughly 1/2 of planned distance.  

I played around more with the 54 yesterday, both at the pitch and putt, and on the range.  I worked on opening up the face and could get full swings anywhere between 65 and 105 yards.  Hit 15/24 GIR on the pitch and putt with it.  

I tired some stuff with 58 and really struggled: It was too easy to get under the ball and I duffed a couple of chips, even short ones.  

I suppose I just find it easier to manipulate the 54 clubface rather than play around with the 58.  Short game is extremely "feel" oriented for me and at this point, perhaps learning just one club will be more efficient for me.  Does that make sense?  It is similar to the 9-holes I played the other day where I just used my PW for everything from 85-130 and tried to "feel" the right tempo for each distance.  It didn't hurt me at all; I had a ton of par chances and my distance was spot on for the most part.  

Whatever works man. 

You may want to try out different bounce options in the 60. If you can play the 54 with no issue then you either have a bounce problem or a mental problem with the 60.

53 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

Whatever works man. 

You may want to try out different bounce options in the 60. If you can play the 54 with no issue then you either have a bounce problem or a mental problem with the 60.

Ha-knowing me, mental. 

less or more bounce for the 58/60? The 54 is a Ping Wide Sole.  I usually use the 58/60 when I am short sided near the green, often in deeper rough.  In that deeper rough, it is often easy to get under the ball with the loft wedge. 

My full set includes PW, AW from Rogue X set, plus 52 & 56 Mack Daddy.  I gave up on the 58 degree, it was either great or considerably less than great.

This year I switched to a light carry bag and half a set.  I'm using the AW (46) and the 52.  I may think about a 54 instead of the 52, but I'm having no problem hitting it wide open.  Better scores with the half set.

Right now I'm playing my PW at 44 and my next wedge is 54 and then a 58 (both vokey sm8s).  I've had a gap wedge in the past but last few rounds, just haven't used it.  I used the 54 for a full shot today one time.  My go to club for shots under 75 yards, bunkers around the green and chipping is my 58.  Last round I don't think I even touched my 54.   The amount I use my 58, I'll probably wear it out long before any of the other clubs.  

TM M4 
Epic 15*
Sub70 3 hybrid
Sub70 4 hybrid
Sub70 5 hybrid
Titleist T200 6-GW
54* SM8
58* SM8
PXG Operator H

On 10/24/2020 at 5:20 PM, RoyalMustang said:

I hate carrying extra wedges; I have been thinking of going to either a 50/56 or a 50/54/58 (occasionally 58).  I have been playing our little short course (45-120 yards, 6 holes, greens roughly 1/2 size of regular, lots of terrain and deep rough if you are offline).  I usually play a 56 but today played a 54 (along with a putter of course).  My thinking is that time would be better spent learning to do all of the shots with a single wedge, rather than learning 2 wedge distances and feels with the limited practice time I have. 

The 54 was really nice: the 120 yard hole that I have trouble getting the ball to with the 56 was makeable with the 54 (it plays 110 downhill).  All of my other swings, most of them in the 65-90 yard range, were easy to figure out tempo-wise with the 54. I was able to do steeper pitches with that 54, and bump and run was far better than the 56. Even though my putting was off, I was able to shoot +5 for 18, which is a good score for me on that little tough course.  I just choke down if I want to hit the ball shorter (such as the 45 yd hole).  

Anyone else playing this strategy long-term? 

Years ago PW was 50*.  I always used 50/56.  I have tried 52*, 54*, and 58*, but I always go back to 50/56.  Only add 60* if the course requires it, i.e. I used to play one course that had a lot of small elevated greens which made the 60* useful.

I play 90% of my golf with classic clubs so I got used to playing all my shots around the green with a Wilson Triple Duty wedge which is 54*.   I learned to get really creative with my shots by practicing with a single wedge around the green.

Now when I play my modern set that includes a 50* SM8 Vokey, a Tour Edge Rally 54* (PM Grind/Hi Toe style) and a Cally’s PM Grind 58*,  I again find myself playing the 54* for almost all of my shots around the green.   Knowing what the 54 will travel whether square, open, or hooded a bit has made me a much better short game player.

• Like 1

The Bag...

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” woods 1-4
Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding E.V.-A Sand Club

Rife Legend Z putter

I'm assuming that people that use a 54 around the greens and under 80 yards don't play on fast and firm greens.  I can't imagine having to hit a 40-60 yard flop shot with a 54 into a green that is firm and 11+ on the stimp.  that would be adding a lot of difficulty to an already difficult shot.  I personally use the 60 almost exclusively on 100 yards and in and have for over 20 years.  The only time I use a gap or sw is when its uphill (green contour) severely or i'm landing it short of a ridge and running it up.  I practice pitch shots with all my wedges but that is just for feel and imagination mostly.  I'm a firm believer in using a 58/60 with a versatile grind then having your SW and GW be full bounce and not manipulating the face open on those unless its a very rare circumstance.  

• Like 1

TS3 9.5 Hzrdus smoke black 60g 6.5/ Srixon z785 9.5* hzrudus black 75g 6.5
Titleist 910F Aldila RIP 80x 16* at 42" (I call it the 'hell wood')
P790 UDI 18* (KBS tour 130x)

818h2 19* (Steelfiber i110x at 39.5)
Mizuno MP18 (7-Pw), SC (5-6), MMC (4) (KBS tour 130x)

Vokey sm7 50*, sm6 55*, TVD-M 60* (TI s400 tipped 1/4")
1995 Scotty Cameron by Titleist Newport 35"

I used to carry a 54 Mack Daddy Jaws W grind and a 58 Mack Daddy 4 W grind, but decided that the 58 just didn't do anything more for me than the 54 AND I didn't want to have to practice with both clubs.  Dropped the 58 out of the bag and just learned to be creative with the 54... play it square for longer shots and gradually open it up for more creative short shots.  Flop shots are not a problem when you open it up.

I have a 58 original Callaway PM grind that is point and shoot from the bunker and versatile enough around the greens it has allowed me to take the 54 out of the bag. This does leave me with a unique wedge set up going with 43,50.58. I have become fairly competent with the three finger 50 degree when I get into that distance where the 58 is no go. I looked at the new PM Grinds but they have a bit to much bounce and offset for my taste. The gapping may sound crazy but it works for me

On 10/24/2020 at 8:48 PM, bladehunter said:

53-54 has been my favorite sand wedge loft for ever.  Truthfully don’t really need a lob wedge.  The one in every 20 rounds super flop isn’t a good enough excuse.  

I am in complete agreement with you.  I have been playing a 54* as my primary wedge for a number of years.  

I grew up learning on a Cleveland 588 in 56*, which was a good gap with the weaker irons and was a really good fit for my swing.  I used it for everything until I just couldn’t spin it enough anymore.  I spent years trying to find something that fit as well and was a tad stronger to make up the gap from my wedges in the iron sets getting stronger.   I eventually bought a Callaway 54* similar design to the 588, with a leading edge I liked a little better and forced myself to get comfortable with it and haven’t looked elsewhere since.  I can make virtually any shot I need with it.  

Every once in a while If I know I’m playing a course with a lot of trees that guard the greens with openings to go over them or extreme bunk lips, I drop a 64* wedge and a mouth guard (jk) in the bag and will use that for the extreme height shots.  It’s fun to send a ball over the top of a 60ft tree and drop it 10 yards away from it.  Surprisingly, when I have tried it, it’s worked out almost every time, obviously a very limited sample size.  I have definitely hit that club more while practicing than I will ever hit it on course if I own it until I die.  I probably have owned it for 10 years and hit it 15 times on course and 10 of those were when I first got it and wanted to try it.

On 10/30/2020 at 7:20 AM, B_of_H said:

I'm assuming that people that use a 54 around the greens and under 80 yards don't play on fast and firm greens.  I can't imagine having to hit a 40-60 yard flop shot with a 54 into a green that is firm and 11+ on the stimp.  that would be adding a lot of difficulty to an already difficult shot.  I personally use the 60 almost exclusively on 100 yards and in and have for over 20 years.  The only time I use a gap or sw is when its uphill (green contour) severely or i'm landing it short of a ridge and running it up.  I practice pitch shots with all my wedges but that is just for feel and imagination mostly.  I'm a firm believer in using a 58/60 with a versatile grind then having your SW and GW be full bounce and not manipulating the face open on those unless its a very rare circumstance.  

You gave one example but my thought reading his thread for the first time is “it depends”.  What type of course setup and design is certainly part of that. On softer small greens you can chip and run with a sand wedge, 54* or 56* commonly. And depending on whether many greens are elevated you may want a 58* or 60* for the short sided shots.  On larger firm greens using a lofted wedge for bump and runs just doesn’t work as well. Too much check on the first bounce is harder to control for a longer chip. 
And that is just a very small portion of the equation.  In the “breaking 70” thread in the instruction forum I mentioned how many players kid me about “taking the whole bag” up to the green when faced with a little chip or pitch. My response is always if you don’t know the lie how the heck do you know what club to use? That relates, of course,when riding a cart as is common here in Phoenix but the club selection question goes for every shot. How do you know what to use without knowing the lie? Using the same club for all is very limiting.

• Like 1

WITB
Tools for the job!

I also carry a 60*, but I could definitely work with only my 54*. I like the 54* because it has a little more reach than a 56* for example - and I can also play it soft and open for where I'd usually play the 60*.

It's a pretty little brushed steel SM7 S grind. Out of all my flaws, I don't have issues using a 60*, so I like to play it for nice, tall, soft shots - but I could easily sub in the 54*.

Driver: TaylorMade 2016 M2 9.5° at 8°

3W: TaylorMade V-Steel 15°

3H: Taylormade M3 19°

Irons (4-W): Titleist 718 AP1 (21°-48°)

SW: Titleist Vokey SM7 54° S grind (brushed steel)

LW: Titleist Vokey SM7 60° S grind (slate blue)

Putter: TaylorMade TP Black Copper Ardmore 2

I used to rely on a Vokey 54S for the majority of my wedge play inside 80 yards, around the green, bunkers, etc.  It worked pretty well, but felt it was too limiting for some of the speciality shots one faces.  This year I've gone to a Vokey 58D which offers expanded versatility to play challenging shots around the green, flop shots, handling faster greens, etc.  It's also more effective from the bunkers for the courses in our area.  As a result, I've taken the 54º out of the bag.  My PW is a Vokey 48º, so now I just go 48/58.  I'm also a feel player and have no issues gauging distances / trajectories with either.

Minimalist:  TS2 / 816H1 / 716AP2 5, 7, 9 / Vokey 48, 58 / SC NP2

Love my sm8 54s for everything around the greens and up to 100 yards.  Had my club builder add a little leading edge grind and it’s amazing!  

Someone mentioned about playing fast greens and loft.  I rarely play a flop shot.  What has saved me is learning how to flight the ball with spin.  Also, playing the Bridgestone tour BXS is pretty magical around the greens.  Definitely helps!

Cobra  Speedzone 9* Fujikura Motore Speeder vc 6.2

Titleist TS3 15* Diamana S+ ltd Blueboard 70s tipped 1" 

or

Cobra  Speedzone Big Tour  Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 70--testing...

Titleist U500 2i Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour Spec 9.8 hb

Callaway  18 X Forged UT 4i  Accra iCWT 105

Mizuno  JPX 921 Tour  5-PW  Accra i Series Steel 125 soft stepped

Vokey Raw SM8 50F, 54S, 58S  Nippon Modus 125 wedge

Mizuno M Craft Type 1 Satin  Stability Tour Shaft, Golf Pride Pro Only Green*

Bridgestone Tour B XS

I just ordered 50/54/58 wedge set up with 1* weak to add extra bounce...my PW is 46* Srixon Z785.  My wedges will play 51/55/59.  Like a fool I ordered Cleveland ZipCore Mid/Full/Low and SM8 50.12F/54.12D/58.08M.  I like the idea of this set up but torn between both brands and look forward to seeing them upon arrival.  Going weak I think will give me some good options without putting a 60 in my bag or having too much of a gap between wedges. 

My wedges are a CF16 50* and 55*.  I use the 55* for all shots around the green, barring an occasional bump and run with a 9 iron or 7 iron.  I've worked really hard at varying the delivery of the clubface to accomplish the shot I am trying to hit.  One hop and stop, high floaty shot, really low skipper and all sand shots are hit with this club.  I've listened to so many pros comment about the value of being able to use one club in many different ways, and given my improvement this year by focusing on the 55*, I'd have to agree that it has helped my versatility and creativity around greens.

• 1 month later...
On 10/25/2020 at 4:55 PM, harolease said:

I have 55 degree I use most of the time.    Generally ideal for chip-lob and bump and run. If Out of deep bunker ,short sided or flop I use my LW

If I have straight forward chip with lots of green to work with and pin is at the back I usually go with my PW or lower loft 

Yassss!  This is how I'm setting my bag up next year...50 for low runners, 60 for lobs and flops, and the 55 for everything in between.

What's the bounce and grind on your 55?

54 is usually my go to, or 50 or lower if I can get away with it.  Even then I get too much check a lot of times (greens usually not so firm unless frozen).  It comes down to how much I've been practicing.  60 for me requires more practice time for comfort with my low point and distance control.  So normally I'm more comfortable with lower loft that I can keep about mid stance, keep shallow, and "use the bounce" to skid off the ground.  60 always has its place for deep rough, short sand shots, hitting over trouble, and flop shots.  Though even on short-sided shots that may call for a flop, if I feel I can get away with bumping through the rough, I will opt for that. 

D Adams XTD, 70M4X 3W TEE CBX, HZBk75S 5W Titleist 915F, D+80X

3I Srixon Z 545 4H Adams S 9031 6I-PW Mizuno MP-54, C Taper Lite X

GW Nike VPC, Tour V X 54 60 Cleveland CBX, DG S300 Cure CX3

50/54/58 and I find myself using my 54 a lot more than I used to vs. the 58 with good results, but no way I'd limit myself to one wedge any more than I'd quit using my hybrid or PW or 9i when necessary depending on all sorts of things.  No reason to rule out good tools, IMO. 

Edited by Hawkeye77

I’ve worked with 2-3 wedges most of my time golfing. This season I tried 47, 52, 56 most of the year, but not having a 60 in the bag didn’t work for me and just not comfortable enough opening up the face of the 56 on shots around the green.

Once I added a 60 to the bag, I found myself using the 60 & 52 about 95% of the time, so I’ve made the decision to drop the 56 and bent the 52 to 53.5 (closest the shop could get to 54). So practicing over Winter going into next year my set up is 47, 52 @ 53.5, 60. To me, I can make all the shots with those 3 wedges that are possible with a 4 wedge setup and going to focus on practicing 1/2, 3/4, & full swings with those 3 and get all the distances dialled in.

TaylorMade SIM Max D (9* @ 10.5*) / UST Mamiya Helium

Callaway Rogue (15*) / Aldila Synergy Blue 60 S

Callaway Rogue X (20*) / Aldila Synergy Blue 60 S

TaylorMade Tour Preferred (3-7 MC/ 8-PW MB) / True Temper XP 95 S300

TaylorMade Milled Grind (52*, 58*) / True Temper Dynamic Gold

TaylorMade SOTO Tour Preferred / TaylorMade Redline Monza