Anyone got any mind tricks to help this issue?

I've got an issue where my practice swings are consistently good in terms of swing plane and club head distance from ground. (Slightly inside to out or straight, with a nice brush of the grass on all clubs but driver, with a nice follow through and hold)  However, as soon as there is a ball in front of me, I consistently swing outside to in and often hitting down rather than up which is obviously a total killer for drives, plus of course that swing path makes it impossible to follow through.

I've tried lessons and alignment sticks to get me swinging straight or even trying to swing inside to out but no matter how much I practice up to 90% of the time i'm hitting down and with an outside to in path the second a ball is there.  Basically the exact opposite of my practice swings.  It's driving me nuts!  🥴   The problem is most pronounced with my driver and the shorter the club the straighter I can swing.

Does anyone have an mind tricks that might help me get over this issue?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't remember Jack Nicklaus ever taking a true practice swing other than an occasional chip or pitch. He was pretty good at golf.   I'm playing later today and I'll probably get paired wi

Tell yourself that the ball is just in the way of your swing path. No need to try to “hit” it. 

I’ve got 20 bucks that says If you recorded the practice swing the club Face is WIDE open and you’d hit an awful shot with your pretty practice swing.  Real swing is your brain finding a way to hit a

Posted Images

You need to think about your finish, not hitting the ball.  Think well past where you are in the swing.  Think finishing high and with a full turn.  

I also have this same tendency.  I solved it as mentioned above and also by speeding up my swing.  Its counter to what you would believe but speeding up the backswing helped me a lot.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Soloman1 said:

I don't remember Jack Nicklaus ever taking a true practice swing other than an occasional chip or pitch. He was pretty good at golf.

I'm playing later today and I'll probably get paired with yahoos who will take two or three practice swings before every shot. If they shoot around 90, that's 3 full shots per hole (at least) times 3 practice swings plus 1 real swing, plus another practice swing after they hit a poor shot x 3 people = 810 damn swings I have to wait on. I don't dare watch any of them.

No wonder people quit playing golf. Do you ever see tennis players take practice swings? Quarterbacks take practice throws? Pitchers take practice throws? Basketball players take practice throws? Bowlers take practice throws?

Ever see anyone take a practice bite before eating a sandwich?

"Hold on, Bubba. I'm gonna take a practice drink here before I take a drink of my real beer."

Just hit the damn ball.

(My apologies - I had a birthday 2 days ago and turned into a really, really old guy. And I didn't even practice blowing out the candles. I just went ahead and did it.)

This is the best post on this forum all season.  Thanks for the Sunday morning chuckle!

• Like 1

Happy Belated Birthday Sol 🍻

• Thanks 1

Titleist JDM TSi3  9*                     Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Exotics CBX119 15*                        Fujikura Ventus Red 8X

Bridgestone J33 Airmuscle 2       Velyx Rome Wildeye 988X
MIURA CB57 4-7                           MCI MMT-125TX

MIURA MB-001 8-P                       MCI MMT-125TX
Chikara V1 Proto 52, 57, 61           MCI MMT-125TX (8-iron)

Bettinardi TOUR DASS MiNoVai 3.0 Flowneck 34/350

4 hours ago, DogWiz said:

I've got an issue where my practice swings are consistently good in terms of swing plane and club head distance from ground. (Slightly inside to out or straight, with a nice brush of the grass on all clubs but driver, with a nice follow through and hold)  However, as soon as there is a ball in front of me, I consistently swing outside to in and often hitting down rather than up which is obviously a total killer for drives, plus of course that swing path makes it impossible to follow through.

I've tried lessons and alignment sticks to get me swinging straight or even trying to swing inside to out but no matter how much I practice up to 90% of the time i'm hitting down and with an outside to in path the second a ball is there.  Basically the exact opposite of my practice swings.  It's driving me nuts!  🥴   The problem is most pronounced with my driver and the shorter the club the straighter I can swing.

Does anyone have an mind tricks that might help me get over this issue?

There is a practice method that is pretty common that may help that has helped me. I belive Monte here on the forum recommends it and my brother's PGA coach also has him do it as well.

Basically it is only getting the shaft back to 3 oclock and then swing through to 9 oclock. This short should force you to get the legs more involved in your swing, which is the real source of power. Certainly the shoulders,etc can add force but if the legs don't resist as they should you can turn your shoulder to kingdom come and you wont generate anywhere near the clubhead speed doing a half swing like the practice method above - that is based on my personal experience.

One other minor technique that may help the over the top move is put your hands as forward as possible during the setup even though it may be uncomfortable. A lot of strong players have done this like John Daly, Henrik Stenson and Tony Finau. I personally find it helps get the arms connected as they should.

• Like 1

Taylormade R7 - Big Bertha 2, 4, 7w - Titleist DCI 962 4i, LW 990B 5i-PW - 8802

Ball bound

very common

try to hit the ball with a starting position 2 feet in front of the ball ... full backswing and focus on target ... throw the club and arms targetwards ... not at the ball 

great post Soloman ... I hate the triple practice swingers as well.  I’m usually hitting while others are still talking and pulling off headcovers

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max 10.5* Graphite Design AD XC 6x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Blueboard 63x & 7w 19.5* Bboard 73x 

Cally Apex '19 4h & 5h 26* Fubuki 82x

Callaway x-forged UT 27* AD DI 85x

Srixon ZX7 7 - PW PX Catalyst 100 6.5 
Vokey TVD M 51* & TVD M 57* Oil s400 

Vokey SM2 Oil Finish 63* DG TI s400 

Scotty GoLo 7 (35g weights)

In addition to not focusing on a ball, forgetting I'm on the course (pretending I'm on the range) helps as well. I address the ball faster, take my shot faster, and swing easier, just like when I'm on the range. Practicing the same pre-shot routine on the range as on the course helps with that as well.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Max 9* stock Project-X Hzrdus Smoke iM10
Callaway Epic Speed 4W 16.5* stock Project-X Hzrdus Smoke iM10
Srixon ZX 4 Utility Iron 23* stock UST Mamiya Recoil 95
Cobra KING Forged Tec 5-PW stock KBS $-Taper Lite
Cleveland CBX2 48*, 54* KBS C-Taper
Callaway MD CB 58* stock KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 105
PING 2021 Anser
TaylorMade TP5

Aiming 6" the left of the ball rather than at it on drives and focusing on getting my hands swinging from 3 o'clock to 9 o'clock worked really well for me today.  I was hitting it better than ever and getting up to 40y extra.  Aiming to the left of the ball by varying amounts depending on club length and making sure my hands are going 3 to 9 worked on all clubs so I played great today and ended up shooting my best round yet so thanks guys! ☺️

I've been losing loads of tees recently due to all the leaves on the course so I had a great idea that stopped that plus acts as a handy training tool for practicing what I said above, which is using two tees tied together where I put them on the line I want to swing then focus on the left hand one with the ball being on the right hand one.  It worked great.

tee_tool2.JPG.c3054effeac81cb2d7c8eb30efc33172.JPG

Edited by DogWiz
19 hours ago, cardoustie said:

great post Soloman ... I hate the triple practice swingers as well.  I’m usually hitting while others are still talking and pulling off headcovers

Two weeks ago I played with a trhee swinger.  Total nightmare, especially because the guy was new and shot 102, plus the practice swings: 406 attempts in 18 holes.  

Trying to replicate your practice swing when hitting the ball is the ultimate wild goose chase in golf.  The real deal is to get a rhythmical motion with a good full finish IRL.

Edited by naval2006
  • Like 1
38 minutes ago, naval2006 said:

Two weeks ago I played with a trhee swinger.  Total nightmare, especially because the guy was new and shot 102, plus the practice swings: 406 attempts in 18 holes.  

Trying to replicate your practice swing when hitting the ball is the ultimate wild goose chase in golf.  The real deal is to get a rhythmical motion with a good full finish IRL.

Playing Torrey years ago, daylight was going to run out if you didn’t motor.  Get a guy on 1 who goes behind the ball 10 feet, makes two practice swings, then moves up beside the ball and makes another practice swing.  Molasses by the time he hit a shot, nvm the time taken to pull a club and get ready to make 3 practice swings.  This guy had no idea what ready golf was.  Left him halfway down hole 1.  Met him in parking lot in near dark .. he’d gotten in 6.5 holes and I had all 18 done in 1:55 minutes.

• Like 2

Ping G400 Max 10.5* Graphite Design AD XC 6x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Blueboard 63x & 7w 19.5* Bboard 73x 

Cally Apex '19 4h & 5h 26* Fubuki 82x

Callaway x-forged UT 27* AD DI 85x

Srixon ZX7 7 - PW PX Catalyst 100 6.5 
Vokey TVD M 51* & TVD M 57* Oil s400 

Vokey SM2 Oil Finish 63* DG TI s400 

Scotty GoLo 7 (35g weights)

21 hours ago, jut111 said:

I’ve got 20 bucks that says If you recorded the practice swing the club Face is WIDE open and you’d hit an awful shot with your pretty practice swing.  Real swing is your brain finding a way to hit a functional golf shot. 

This.  Analyzing practice swings is pretty useless.

• Like 2