The Match III: Phil + Chuck vs Steph + Payton

tw_focus

17 hours ago, BobMorris said:

They almost always are.

Larry Fitzgerald is an exception. Unlike most of the celebrity athletes who maintain bragging handicaps, Fitzgerald keeps a betting handicap.

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

I started watching it ( recorded it first ) and then after about 45 minutes just fast-forwarded to the actual shots. I got so tired of listening to Phil describe in detail how he planned to hit every shot. I've always liked Phil for his aggressive play on tour but this was just to much for me.

As far as the others:

Manning - always enjoy him, has such a dry sense of humor

Curry - I 've seen him play in the Tahoe event and he just didn't have his best day. 

Barkley - Always enjoy listening to him. A lot of people can learn from him as he can always criticize / laugh at himself first before doing the same to others. Also no one deserves more than him to play better. As bad as he has been with the stutter in his swing he has always played in celebrity events knowing how bad he is and putting it out there for all to see. KUDOS to Barkley!!!!!! 

• Like 2

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT 
PUTTER -   PXG Battle Ready Gunboat w/M16 Stability Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

On 10/29/2020 at 2:52 PM, deadsolid...shank said:

They need to get Michal Jordan in one of these. 

Jordan is notorious for having an absurd 1 or 2 bragging handicap. My guess he loves golf and is comfortable having private games but does not want his swing or score on television for public consumption.

3 minutes ago, Medson said:

. The opposition needs a pro. Period. 

I agree and believe this is the takeaway from yesterday's match.

1 minute ago, Medson said:

For a course like yesterday’s, a pro probably can shoot an even par in his WORST day. Definitely can’t say the same for a scratch golfer. 

I believe the reality is that few "scratch golfers" actually post all their scores. It's common for some 0's and plus handicaps to make an early double bogey or two and declare that day to be a "practice round, not for positing". There have always been handicaps for betting and handicaps for bragging.

13 minutes ago, Fairway14 said:

Jordan is notorious for having an absurd 1 or 2 bragging handicap. My guess he loves golf and is comfortable having private games but does not want his swing or score on television for public consumption.

He has done TV before. They played one of the USO setups to see if they could break a certain score. I think it was Oakmont and Big Ben played. I dont remember the outcome but he shot a lot.

8 hours ago, Sean2 said:

I was wondering the same thing. I played 9 holes once on an empty course with a cart and it took me 50 minutes. Just more hyperbole. 

As to Curry's HI, maybe he was having an off day, maybe it was nerves, maybe a combination of the two? We've all shot bad rounds that do not reflect our HI. 

It does sound like a bit of an exaggeration but they do have super fast carts which would make a difference.  The pro at the course where I play once told me that he has played 18 holes in about and hour by himself using a cart.  When you don't hit very many shots it does tend to go a bit quicker.  They obviously could not have spent much time putting!  

6 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

I think SC shot 71-86 in a web.com event.

From what I saw he has some great game but he hit an odd hook and terrible bunker shot and some putts that call that + into question. 

Then again, not bad for golf being a hobby ; )

Yes, 71-86 in one event and I think 74, 74 in another.  Solid player.  Not seeing +1 though.  Or my expectations of +1 are incorrect.  

Phil overanalyzing everything just gets to be to much. 

Barkley's self depreciating humor is the best.

Hey Steph what were those Inspector Gadget shoes?

Manning would be a seriously fun guy to play with. 

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

2 hours ago, SEP1006 said:

I started watching it ( recorded it first ) and then after about 45 minutes just fast-forwarded to the actual shots. I got so tired of listening to Phil describe in detail how he planned to hit every shot. I've always liked Phil for his aggressive play on tour but this was just to much for me.

As far as the others:

Curry - I 've seen him play in the Tahoe event and he just didn't have his best day. 

Barkley - Always enjoy listening to him. A lot of people can learn from him as he can always criticize / laugh at himself first before doing the same to others. Also no one deserves more than him to play better. As bad as he has been with the stutter in his swing he has always played in celebrity events knowing how bad he is and putting it out there for all to see. KUDOS to Barkley!!!!!! 

And, props to Barkley for sticking with it. Many people would have probably quit the game. 

• Like 2

Watching the match yesterday reminded me of when me and my two golf buddies took on an inspiring mini tour player. He wiped the course with us. Funny how you think 3 chances at a shot will give you a chance but it show how the skill level is way way way way way different. Manning, Curry and Charles hoping to hit a great shot while Phil hits great shots and if not, he will hit one on the next shot. Really cool watching Phil give Charles pointers during the round. I wish we had a partner like that during our round. 

• Like 1

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

1 hour ago, Nels55 said:

It does sound like a bit of an exaggeration but they do have super fast carts which would make a difference.  The pro at the course where I play once told me that he has played 18 holes in about and hour by himself using a cart.  When you don't hit very many shots it does tend to go a bit quicker.  They obviously could not have spent much time putting!  

One guy in an hour I can believe, but as I understand it it wasn't just one person playing. 

3 hours ago, SEP1006 said:

As far as the others:

I agree except for your take on Phil. I think it's awesome to hear from one of the most accomplished players of all time share his insight and process. The Golf Channel had a whole series based on playing lessons with the pro. Really no different. 

I actually watched every minute of this event and liked it all. The course is beautiful as well, though it would probably be painful to play regularly. 

2 hours ago, LeoLeo99 said:

Yes, 71-86 in one event and I think 74, 74 in another.  Solid player.  Not seeing +1 though.  Or my expectations of +1 are incorrect.  

For a guy like Curry who is likely not playing the local public rated at 70.8/108 he could easily get to +1 without ever breaking par in a casual round. I don’t know where he plays, but I’m assuming his home course is rated 72 or higher. He could easily post 72 twice, 73 five times, 74 twice and another two 72’s plus three rounds of 80 and be a +1 if he plays somewhere like Fountaingrove Club and those are T scores. 

A guy playing your local club rated at 71/110 who regularly posts rounds under par to get to +1 is better suited to competition than a +1 that likes to shoot 74 a bunch. 

Edited by golfandfishing

3 minutes ago, golfandfishing said:

I don’t know where he plays, but I’m assuming his home course is rated 72 or higher

Curry is a member of California Golf Club, South San Francisco.

https://www.calclub.org/#course

4 hours ago, Fairway14 said:

Lots of stories about him with private games.  None of them are good.  I will not repeat them.

12 minutes ago, Fairway14 said:

Curry is a member of California Golf Club, South San Francisco.

https://www.calclub.org/#course

73.2/139. He could get to +1 without ever seeing the underside of par. It’s not likely, I’d think a +1 would crack par a few times but the math works.  I also see they want pace of play at 3:45. These guys were over 4 hours and didn’t come close to a full 18 holes.  Bottom line:  Curry is a good golfer, but there are phenomenal golfers that will get waxed by average tour players on a stage. Tour players are better than phenomenal, Hall of Famers are better than that. 

2 hours ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

I agree except for your take on Phil. I think it's awesome to hear from one of the most accomplished players of all time share his insight and process. The Golf Channel had a whole series based on playing lessons with the pro. Really no different. 

I actually watched every minute of this event and liked it all. The course is beautiful as well, though it would probably be painful to play regularly. 

I've enjoyed as well..

I actually laughed out loud few times..

Much better than other challenge matches..

43 minutes ago, golfandfishing said:

This looks like a pretty typical +1s score history. I’m not sure why folks think a +1 doesn’t chop it around every so often. 

I suspect that if these folks golfed with Curry when he shot the 79 would say that he had a vanity handicap and if they golfed with him when he shot the 65 would say that he is a sand bagger.  LOL you just can't win some some folks...  Anyway as you mentioned Steph's score history looks legit.  He is a rather honest person from what I have seen and read so I believe that he posts exactly what he shoots.  He is going to drop the -6.5 diff from when he shot 65 in a couple of rounds so his index may well go up unless he has another stellar round.