Golf Pride vs Lamkin

Hi, 

Wondering what everyone's experience has been with Golf Pride Tour Velvet Cord vs Lamkin Crossline Cord?

Want to move to a cord grip, my experience with the Golf Pride Tour Velvet vs Lamkin Crossline (the non cord versions) is that the Crossline is firmer but better grip and hands to last much longer.

Cobra SZ Driver, Aldila Rogue Silver 110 MSI, 60-X

Cobra SZ Tour Fairway, Aldila Rogue Silver 110 MSI, 70-X

Cobra Fly Z Hybrid, Aldila Tour Blue ATX85H 2.3-X

Mizuno MP5 4-PW, True Temper X100

Cleveland RTX 3 50, 54, 60

Ping G2 Anser

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have found the Lamkin to last a lot longer. This is how I perceive them to feel and how I feel they “stay new.”  I’ve played the Lamkin Crossline for 10 years now and don’t see myself switching. I p

Agree, the Lamkin grips are much more durable -- last longer.   There's no comparison.   The Golf Pride cord grips will wear out in less than half the time as compared to the Lamkins.     I'

I switched to Lamkin from Golf Pride probably 30 years ago and would never go back. 

Posted Images

I have found the Lamkin to last a lot longer. This is how I perceive them to feel and how I feel they “stay new.”  I’ve played the Lamkin Crossline for 10 years now and don’t see myself switching. I played a set for 2 years and the only one that I saw tremendous wear on was the LW. I play about 110 rounds a year and practice 1-3 times a week with a lot of short game. Located here in NJ. I think the Lamkin hold up much much better. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, DougNJ said:

I have found the Lamkin to last a lot longer. This is how I perceive them to feel and how I feel they “stay new.”  I’ve played the Lamkin Crossline for 10 years now and don’t see myself switching. I played a set for 2 years and the only one that I saw tremendous wear on was the LW. I play about 110 rounds a year and practice 1-3 times a week with a lot of short game. Located here in NJ. I think the Lamkin hold up much much better. 

Are those the normal crosslines that your getting so much good use from? Or cords? 

Ping G2 Anser

18 hours ago, ewaldbeukes said:

Hi, 

Wondering what everyone's experience has been with Golf Pride Tour Velvet Cord vs Lamkin Crossline Cord?

I switched to Lamkin from Golf Pride probably 30 years ago and would never go back. 

• Like 1

Cobra SZ 9* : Ventus Blue 6-S

Cobra F9 Tour 4W : Tour AD TP 8-S

Cobra ForgedTec 3-iron : Nippon Modus3 105-S

Srixon Z785 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S

Cleveland RTX3 50, 54, 58 : Nippon 115-S Wedge

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

For me the Lamkin Crossline 58R seems just a touch bigger than the Golf Pride Tour Velvet 58R...both cord and non cord grips. I’m experimenting with the Lamkin Crooslines this winter. 

• Driver - Ping G400 10.5 Alta 55 S
  • Woods - Callaway Epic 15* Hzurdus 6.0 /  Callaway Epic 18* (19*) Hzurdus 5.5
  • Hybrids - Titliest 818 H1 21* Tensei Red R / Titliest 818 H1 25*(24*) Tensei Red R
  • Irons - Mizuno 919 HM Pro 5-PW UST Recoil 780 F3
  • Wedges - Ping Glide 3.0 50* AWT /  Callaway PM Grind 54* KBS HiSpin 115
  • Putter - Odyssey O-Works 7 34.5” ... Golf Pride SNSR Contour Pro
  • Ball - Titliest ProV1x left dash
  • Grips -  Golf Pride Tour Velvet 58R one wrap RH 
24 minutes ago, DougNJ said:

I use the cords. 

Have you ever used the normal crossline vs the cords? Are the cords much more abrasive or still a nice grip? I used to love the corsslines but looking for a bit more grip...

Ping G2 Anser

14 minutes ago, tbccgolfer said:

For me the Lamkin Crossline 58R seems just a touch bigger than the Golf Pride Tour Velvet 58R...both cord and non cord grips. I’m experimenting with the Lamkin Crosslines this winter. 

I also felt the midsizes were a touch bigger in Lamkin. Anyone able to confirm this or is it just the feel?

Ping G2 Anser

I've used both the Lamkin Crossline Cord and the Tour Velvet Cord on my driver recently, and preferred the Lamkin.  It just lasted longer.  I noticed a wear spot on my driver in less than a month with the Tour Velvet Cord, and never noticed one with the Crossline cord after using it on a different shaft for 6 months.   

WITB
Driver: 10.5* SIM set 1 click lower- shaft Diamana D+ 70s

Fairway:  Cobra F9 5w turned down to 17* Diamana White 80s

Hybrids: 19* Srixon H65 Proforce V2 85f4
Irons: 24* X Forged Utility w/ Modus 120s, 5-PW Ben Hoga PTx Pro Modus 125s
Wedges: 48* bent to 49* Vokey SM6 F Grind, Zipcore 52* Mid bent to 53*, Zipcore 56* Mid Raw bent to 58*. All wedges have DGTI S400
Putter: Toulon Las Vegas or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can Finish

Timely post as I just had my clubs re-gripped with the Lamkin Players Cord as the Tour Velvet's just wore way too fast. I had no idea the LPC even existed until I received the TW wedge with it installed.

I'm a big fan now of the Lamkin, huge some would say.

lk0181.jpg

Mavrik

Ping hybrids

Miura CB-1008/MB-001

TM 770/p7mc

Callaway Jaws 5 50*

TM TW 56*

Ping Tess JAS

52 minutes ago, jah7838 said:

I've used both the Lamkin Crossline Cord and the Tour Velvet Cord on my driver recently, and preferred the Lamkin.  It just lasted longer.  I noticed a wear spot on my driver in less than a month with the Tour Velvet Cord, and never noticed one with the Crossline cord after using it on a different shaft for 6 months.   

Thank you! how do I get to add my WITB below like yours?

Ping G2 Anser

47 minutes ago, kcsf said:

Timely post as I just had my clubs re-gripped with the Lamkin Players Cord as the Tour Velvet's just wore way too fast. I had no idea the LPC even existed until I received the TW wedge with it installed.

I'm a big fan now of the Lamkin, huge some would say.

lk0181.jpg

Saw these when I was searching today, looks like they were released in 2017 but aren't on the radar or the website? Strange but looks like a great grip.

Ping G2 Anser

Just now, ewaldbeukes said:

Saw these when I was searching today, looks like they were released in 2017 but aren't on the radar or the website? Strange but looks like a great grip.

The one big downside to Lamkin is they tend to discontinue grips. This is the case with the Player's cord, which is what I am currently playing. It's a fantastic grip, which is now discontinued. 😭

• Like 1

Cobra SZ 9* : Ventus Blue 6-S

Cobra F9 Tour 4W : Tour AD TP 8-S

Cobra ForgedTec 3-iron : Nippon Modus3 105-S

Srixon Z785 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S

Cleveland RTX3 50, 54, 58 : Nippon 115-S Wedge

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

59 minutes ago, jah7838 said:

You're holding the club entirely too tight if you are wearing spots in the grip.

• Confused 1

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 8.5° A-4 setting Graphite Design YS-6+stiff

Wood:  Titleist 980F 17° Aldila NV stiff

Hybrid: Titleist 909H 21° Aldila Voodoo stiff 

Irons:  Titleist 716 AP2 4- W  DG AMT S300

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7  54°,  58° DG S200

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot #1 Tour

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

31 minutes ago, Old Tom Morris said:

You're holding the club entirely too tight if you are wearing spots in the grip.

Probably true, but I still didn't get the same wear spot on the Lamkin that I did on the Golf Pride.  

WITB

Wedges: 48* bent to 49* Vokey SM6 F Grind, Zipcore 52* Mid bent to 53*, Zipcore 56* Mid Raw bent to 58*. All wedges have DGTI S400

41 minutes ago, ewaldbeukes said:

Thank you! how do I get to add my WITB below like yours?

Go to your account settings and choose Signature.  You can update it there.  

WITB

I'm curious how the Z grip compares as it feels like the firmer option, I love the feel of the Tour Velvet myself but I would say it's softer as far as cord grips go, which would lead me to believe it won't last as long. 

Titleist 917 D3 9.5* Kiyoshi Black 65-05
Titleist 917 F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X
Titleist 818 H2 19* Tensei White 100-X
Mizuno MP-69 3-PW PX 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM7 Jet Black 54* S PX 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM7 Jet Black 60* M PX 6.0
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ IOmic

1 hour ago, jvincent said:

The one big downside to Lamkin is they tend to discontinue grips. This is the case with the Player's cord, which is what I am currently playing. It's a fantastic grip, which is now discontinued. 😭

Exactly!!  I've been a long time Lamkin user as others have said their durability is by far better than Golf Pride.  But they started a trend where they started with these synthetic compounds which I dislike and they discontinue grips that I tend to love (X10, X10 Crossline, Z5 Tour Taper. etc).

I have a Lamkin Crossline Black coming which if it's anything like the X10 Crossline then I will be switching back.  It's a pain because I like how easy the Tour Velvet Plus 4 is to install since I don't have to build up tape but it's not a long lasting grip.

PING G30 10.5* Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 60
PING G30 3W Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 70
Srixon U65 18* Recoil Prototype 110 F4

Taylormade RocketBladez Tour 3-PW Modus Tour 105

Callaway Jaws CC 52*, 58* Modus 115
Maltby PTM-4

1 hour ago, jah7838 said:

Go to your account settings and choose Signature.  You can update it there.  

Thank you!

Ping G2 Anser

I doubt they'll ever discontinue the standard Crossline and Crossline Cord. Like the Tour Velvet, they'll be around forever.

BTW, I also strongly agree the Crossline (and Cord variant) last far longer than the GP "equivalents". I have a few backup clubs that where the Crosslines have been on for several years (mostly sitting in a hot attic) that still have good grip. Give them a good scrub with some Dawn detergent and a nylon brush or Scotchbrite pad, and they come back very nicely. Tour Velvets don't respond this way - once they start going off, they just get slicker fast. 

Edited by dubbelbogey
7 minutes ago, dubbelbogey said:

I doubt they'll ever discontinue the standard Crossline and Crossline Cord. Like the Tour Velvet, they'll be around forever.

BTW, I also strongly agree the Crossline (and Cord variant) last far longer than the GP "equivalents". I have a few backup clubs that where the Crosslines have been on for several years (mostly sitting in a hot attic) that still have good grip. Give them a good scrub with some Dawn detergent and a nylon brush or Scotchbrite pad, and they come back very nicely. Tour Velvets don't respond this way - once they start going off, they just get slicker fast. 

Crossline and Crossline cord will never go away.  It doesn't unfortunately appear that the Players Cord is gone.  It's too bad because it is a really solid grip.

When I used to play cord grips the Crossline Cord was my hands-down favorite. They've been around for as long as I can remember and as mentioned, they're not going away.

JBeam Bullet 10*                           Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Exotics CBX119 3 & 5WD              Accra Tour Z RPG 382 M5

Exotics CB2 7WD                          Oban Kiyoshi Black 05-85
MIURA CB57 5-7                           MCI MMT-125TX

MIURA Tournament Blade 8-P      MCI MMT-125TX
Chikara V1 Proto 52, 57, 61           MCI MMT-125TX (8-iron)

Cameron 009 34/350gr. 1.5 Beach Prototype (A010656)

13 hours ago, ewaldbeukes said:

Have you ever used the normal crossline vs the cords? Are the cords much more abrasive or still a nice grip? I used to love the corsslines but looking for a bit more grip...

I’ve used them both. Not as big of a fan of the non cord grips. The cords definitely have a lot more grip to them and are great in all conditions. They do beat my hands up a little when I play a lot in cold weather but it’s not horrible and they’re great in the summer. 

Also keep in mind most Golf Pride grips have a .60" core and Lamkin's have a .58" core. Lamkin's have to stretch a little more when placed on a shaft and will feel a little less tapered than Golf Pride. 

Currently playing GP MCC, but I love the Lamkin UTx. Could play either one. 

Agree with the comments above. Lamkin makes a great grip, but try not to fall in love with any one model. Good luck trying to find the same one next year. 

• Like 1

Cobra F9 9* - Ventus Black 7X / Cobra SZ Big Tour 13.5* - Tour AD TP 8X / Callaway Apex Hybrid 20* - Tour AD IZ 95X

Mizuno MP20 MMC 4,5 / MP20 6-P - Project X 6.5 / Vokey SM8 50.08F, 56.12D, 60.08M - Project X 6.0

TM TP Juno or Spider Tour Black / Bridgestone BX

Agree that Golf Pride feels smaller and more tapered than Lamkin equivalent. Also agree that Golf Pride TV wears faster. The Golf Pride Z cord grips have held up nicely over the year. It’s the firmest grip I’ve played. 

I think my next grip will be the Crossline cords. Love the larger size, less taper, durability, and feel. I’ve enjoyed the cords on the Z cord this year, but they feel just a little too small and firm. Crossline cord should be perfect. 

Driver - Ping G400 Max 9*, GD Tour AD GP 7X

3W - Ping G400, HZRDS Black 6.5

3i - TM P790, GD Tour AD DI 9X

4-PW - Ping i200, DG X100 120

Wedges - Ping Glide 2.0 50 (bent to 51) SS, 56 WS, 60 TS

Putter - L.A.B. B.2

Ball - TP5x Pix

Lamkin Here by a mine.....Love the ACE Material & will adapt to the Genesis as well.

My hands don't like GP's rubber material & I also can't find a model of GP grips that feels responsive....They all feel dead to me.

Taylormade SIM MAX 9 (Set to 8.25U) Fujikura Speeder Evo IV 661 Stiff Tipped .5"
Taylormade M5 15 set to 14.5 Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 7.3 Stiff Tipped 1"
Bridgestone Tour B 19 Hybrid KBS Proto 85 Stiff
Taylormade M3 3i KBS Tour 105 Stiff
Bridgestone J15CB 5-PW DG AMT S300
Taylormade MG2 52 DGTIS400, MG2TW 56/12 DGTIS400, & Tour Raw Hi Toe 60/09 KBS HiRev 125
Scotty Cameron TeI Newport 2 Longneck 34"
Bridgestone Tour B XS

10 hours ago, cw1209 said:

Also keep in mind most Golf Pride grips have a .60" core and Lamkin's have a .58" core. Lamkin's have to stretch a little more when placed on a shaft and will feel a little less tapered than Golf Pride. 

Currently playing GP MCC, but I love the Lamkin UTx. Could play either one. 

Agree with the comments above. Lamkin makes a great grip, but try not to fall in love with any one model. Good luck trying to find the same one next year. 

I'm not sure where this is coming from.  For the most part Lamkins are .60 and in some models they are also offered in .58 just like Golf Pride.