2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Why Do Club Ho's Hate Golf Clubs

BuBear09

I love golf. But I always wonder about people who post their stuff for sale in the classifieds with "only played for one round."

I mean how can you buy a brand new iron set and be ready to discard them after one round?

I show more compassion to a spider I find in the house. 

I'm actually kinda serious. How can you people hit a driver 3 times and decide it's not for you?

• Like 1

They don’t hate golf clubs. Obviously golf clubs hate them or they’d be scoring better for them. If they aren’t going to cooperate they gotta go.

• Like 4

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

I'm a golf ho but I like to give my equipment some time before I decide to ship them off or post in the BST section.  I'm a numbers guy so I like to get on trackman or flighscope to get my data but those options aren't always available for me so sometimes I have to go by what I see out on the course or range.  I will say this.  I've had my 2 hybrid and my iron set for 10 years which is highly unusual for me.  That tells you right there how much I still love them.  I will be replacing those within a year however, haha. 

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

heh, some people maybe got a good deal on clubs and knew they were gonna flip them, or maybe bought something on a whim.  i bought an XR speed driver this year thinking it would be an upgrade over my XR16. i bought sight unseen so i had no idea if it was actually gonna give me decent numbers.  it had a terrible sound and I just never loved it more than my gamer, so i put it aside after a handful of rounds and range sessions then sold it at a loss as well as another older driver i had so i could buy a callaway rogue reissue.  but that was me. dont know what other guys are thinkiing when they sell stuff.  maybe they need the cash, maybe they just buy lots of clubs and youre getting a great deal from them, so we should be happy for that.

7 hours ago, BuBear09 said:

I love golf. But I always wonder about people who post their stuff for sale in the classifieds with "only played for one round."

I mean how can you buy a brand new iron set and be ready to discard them after one round?

I show more compassion to a spider I find in the house. 

I'm actually kinda serious. How can you people hit a driver 3 times and decide it's not for you?

wait.... so you’re the guy who’s in the store simulator hitting 85 balls while there’s 8 people in line rolling their eyeballs wanting to hit you over the head.  I’m kinda serious too.  If you hit a club 3 times you should know right away if it’s for you or not.  If you don’t, you lose your Wrx card.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My most recent fit I spent 99% of the time on the irons with very little thought going into the wedges.

Played one round with the T20 and immediately ditched them. 

I had my iron shafts (PX 6.5) put in the wedges which was fine for full shots but I hated chipping with them. My chipping went from brilliant to a disaster.

I was also not aware that T20 60* wedge is almost half an inch longer than the RTX4 I was playing prior. 

PING G425 MAX W/ TENSEI AV RAW ORANGE X

TITLEIST TSR2 5 WOOD W/ TENSEI 1K BLACK X

TITLEIST TSR2 4 HYBRID W/ TENSEI 1K BLACK X

MIZUNO 223 5-P W/ DG 120 X100

MIZUNO T22 50-56-60 W/ DG S400

SCOTTY CAMERON PHANTOM X7

Im a ho.. just call me a club ho. Anyways... even though im a ho.. i wouldn't say i have sold anything after 1 round... ive returned after 1 round sure. The fastest I've sold anything is maybe a year or 2. Depends on how content i am. Ive been on a journey for a while to find perfect irons that make me feel like im a good player and fit my eye and play well. I have with the mizuno mp mmc 20. wow. The rest of my set also has me very happy. I dont need pro hybrids or low spin woods just the regular versions for me. Now even though im happy if the perfect set came out bag and all next year... id be itching to buy but im kinda getting tired of that scenario now lol im staying with my babies.

I have often had this same thought, and bought my last set of irons new in 2005. Now I've just bought and sold a bunch of stuff. For me, a current fitting resulted in a big shaft change and two good options. I wanted to spend some time trying the shafts and found a set of MP18 MMCs used in excellent condition with the 2nd choice shafts. I liked but didn't love them and didn't lose money selling them. I went down the rabbit hole of MOI research and decided I wanted to attempt to be a blade player, so I picked up a set of Rose Protos dirt cheap and found an inexpensive shaft set and had them spec'd out and built...And hated them. I went too heavy across the board and I knew the heads weren't for me. That one was a badly failed experiment. I could've tried to shave them down a bit and fix the specs, but instead I wound up taking in an unhit 5-P set of P760 on trade. I've never been a fan of foam-filled irons, but since those are a mixed set with single-piece forged 8-PW it makes sense. It got me out of the oddball Honmas so it was worth it. I had them reshafted with my #1 shaft choice and did pretty well selling the shafts that came in both those sets. I could happily play those clubs, but I'd need to pick up a 4-iron. I have a 4-hybrid so I had a complete bag, but I'd rather have that as an option rather than full time. I then came across a set of 4-9 MP20 MMCs at a good price and jumped on it because that's what I'd have bought from the start, maybe blended with MBs. I've got a 46* SCOR wedge that will fit perfectly with that set and I've got shafts for everything. Then I'm done. It's a lot, but it all made sense and it gave me a chance to experiment with some new technology that I've been ignoring for 15 years. In the end it didn't cost me much to affirm my next long term decision given this market. Along the way I also picked up a set of higher bounce (for me) Vokey wedges with LZs so I could experiment with bounce and shafts in wedges. They weren't ideal for me but it was really informative and helped me settle on the right thing.

As far as guys who buy new and sell immediately, I have no idea. It's either PUD ordering or having money to burn. More power to em, but I don't play that game.

Diderot Effect is prevalent here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diderot_effect

(Replace "desk" with putter, "chair" with driver, etc.)

The effect was first described in Diderot's essay "Regrets on Parting with My Old Dressing Gown". Here he tells how the gift of a beautiful scarlet dressing gown leads to unexpected results, eventually plunging him into debt. Initially pleased with the gift, Diderot came to rue his new garment. Compared to his elegant new dressing gown, the rest of his possessions began to seem tawdry and he became dissatisfied that they did not live up to the elegance and style of his new possession. He replaced his old straw chair, for example, with an armchair covered in Moroccan leather; his old desk was replaced with an expensive new writing table; his formerly beloved prints were replaced with more costly prints, and so on. "I was absolute master of my old dressing gown", Diderot writes, "but I have become a slave to my new one … Beware of the contamination of sudden wealth. The poor man may take his ease without thinking of appearances, but the rich man is always under a strain".

• Like 3

Have Fun - Ready Golf - Repair Divots/Marks - FORE

I just had this, went for a club fitting and hit about 20 odd balls with a Cobra SpeedZone 3 wood, ordered it up, it turned up and I just couldn't get on with it in real world conditions! Tried it for 5 rounds and it just had to go

Taylormade Sim2/ Ventus Blue 
Taylormade Sim2 Ti/ Tour DI
Titleist 818H2/ Tour AD
Mizuno MP20 HMB 4 Iron
Wilson Staff Model 5-PW
Titleist Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58
Bettinardi BB0 Tour Hive/ Stability Tour Black Edition
Full bag here

12 hours ago, Markrip said:

They don’t hate golf clubs. Obviously golf clubs hate them or they’d be scoring better for them. If they aren’t going to cooperate they gotta go.

Curious why you think scoring is a motivating factor.  I buy and flip things because I like to try out equipment and rebuild iron sets.  My scores haven't changed, but I've made $3k from flipping things this year as a hobby that I've put towards other hobbies...

• Like 2

What's In The Ping Moonlite:
Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

To me, clubs are like women.  There's a lot of them around and when you think you've found "the one", my wondering eye can't help looking at others and eventually find the next "one".  Repeat.

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

I would consider myself a club ho ( I've had 8-9 iron sets this year). 

I also consider buying / trying clubs to be a hobby in itself. I just like trying new heads / shafts. I haven't seen much change in my scores based on always switching out. Granted, some would argue that I'd score better if I kept a set, but currently I'm happy with my hdcp and this is where I'm getting my enjoyment from golf. 

I enjoy that other people buy and sell like me, it keeps the used club market full of great deals. 

Callaway AI Smoke TD 9° | Ventus Black 6X

Titleist TSR2+ 14.5*  | Ventus Black 7X

Titleist TSR2 18*  | AV Raw Blue 8TX

Titleist  '23 T200 (4) T100 5-9  | PX Rifle 6.5
Titleist  SM9 46 / 50 / 54 / 58  | PX Rifle 6.0

**Putter Unknown**

I'm a putter ho not really a club ho but same thing I guess.

A lot of it is for trial purpose especially with boutique putter makers, you can't really try them out anywhere and gives me an idea of their quality, build and feel. This is much easier than dropping full price on a brand new putter, not liking it and losing a few hundred. Usually break even or lose a few bucks but worth it as well. 

Other cases usually the price is good, figure why not try it out and in most cases if not liked it goes back up for sale and the cycle continues. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

I'm a lefty that lives in a town with one very bad golf shop.  I rarely have the opportunity to "try before I buy" so I frequently buy and sell used clubs as a means of trying them.  I have a pretty good grasp of what I like and don't like but sometimes I guess wrong or am just not generally pleased with the results.  I keep my golf fund money in my PayPal account and can look at that to see that I'm not losing money during the club exchanges.  

Also, as someone stated above, it's fun to try new stuff!

I certainly am a club ho.  I have quickly moved on from clubs in the past.  I wouldn't say after a round, but after a handful.  I think it's due to a few things. 

* In most fittings you can only hit a 6/7 iron, so you can't always tell how the rest of the club will work. 

* Also could be that it doesn't respond well to a situation you are often in (hard to flight/feather shots, poor turf interaction, etc). 

I do agree I can "generally" tell if I will like a club in a short while.  Usually a round or two will allow me to hit the variety of shots I need to get a feel for the clubs strengths and weaknesses.  I do believe that while you might need to learn a club "quirk", you shouldn't have to "learn a club", that just means it doesn't fit/not for you.

At times, the opposite can happen too.  Case in point; 1/2 through this year I purchased my SIM driver kind of on a whim.  Admittedly I did not hit it well in the simulator.  By the results I should not have purchased it.  I thought I would give it a try anyways knowing I wasn't swinging well at that particular time.  The good swings gave great numbers, but couldn't control it.  Took it to the range and hit it very well.  Put it in my bag and the first tee shot was wildly right.  But every other fairway was hit that day.  And since going in my bag, my FW% has increased 15% overall.  I just knew at that time in the fitting bay I didn't have my "good stuff", which for me tends to happen.  Something about hitting into a screen can at times screw me up.  

Ping G430 MAX 10K 9*, Ventus Black 6X
Ping G430 MAX 3W 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X
Ping G430 Hybrid 19*, Ventus Blue HB 9X  /or/  Titleist TSR2 7W 21*, Tensei Black 75X

Ping i230 4i DG 120 S300

Ping Blueprint S, 5-PW DG 120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50F, 54S, 58M

Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Mini CH /or/ Tri Hot 5K Seven CH

10 hours ago, DaveMc82 said:

Answer F - most likely they need to be seen by their peers to have new gear all the time as their wife/girlfriend is the butt of all the clubhouse jokes for her resemblance to a hedgepig!

from Macbeth Second Witch "Thrice and once the hedge-pig whined."

Driver PING G SF Tec

Wood PING G (18.5*)

Irons PING G30 (6-SW)

Putter PING DS72 2021 (35")

Bag Jones Classic Stand

Cart Clicgear 3.5+

12 hours ago, DaveMc82 said:

Answer A - they bought something sight unseen and it doesn’t suit them. 

Answer B - they bought them well under market value purely to flip them for profit. 

Answer C - they have a problem similar to a gambling addiction. 

Answer D - they are delusional that equipment can fix their failings. 

Answer E - they have a unique requirement that really needs custom fit eg high spin or speed. 

Answer F - most likely they need to be seen by their peers to have new gear all the time as their wife/girlfriend is the butt of all the clubhouse jokes for her resemblance to a hedgepig!

Guilty of A, C & D...  Damn, have we met before??!!

Epic Speed 9* (VeloCore Blue 6S)

SIM2 Ti 15* (Tour AD BB 6SR)

Apex UW 19* (MMT 70S)

0311XP Gen3 4-PW (Accra 90i S)

Vokey Forged 52 

Vokey Forged Black 58.12K 

HiToe 64* 
WHP 7CS

TP5x

6 hours ago, 2ndCut16 said:

I would consider myself a club ho ( I've had 8-9 iron sets this year). 

I also consider buying / trying clubs to be a hobby in itself. I just like trying new heads / shafts. I haven't seen much change in my scores based on always switching out. Granted, some would argue that I'd score better if I kept a set, but currently I'm happy with my hdcp and this is where I'm getting my enjoyment from golf. 

I enjoy that other people buy and sell like me, it keeps the used club market full of great deals. 

There was a time where I bought multiple iron sets myself but after having a hard time selling them, I decided on a less expensive way to get my FOMO fix — buying individual irons instead. If the individual iron shows promise, then the full set might be considered. If it doesn’t, I’m out a lot less $.

• Like 1

Epic Speed 9* (VeloCore Blue 6S)

SIM2 Ti 15* (Tour AD BB 6SR)

Apex UW 19* (MMT 70S)

0311XP Gen3 4-PW (Accra 90i S)

Vokey Forged 52 

Vokey Forged Black 58.12K 

HiToe 64* 
WHP 7CS

TP5x

I think the people that hit a club 1-2 times and then sell it are very, very few and far between. Probably less than 5% of the people who would even consider themselves club ho's. It's a minority of a minority

But compassion to spiders.... Can't really support you on that one. I often kill them just for the fun of it. Well that, or keep them in a well in my basement first and fatten them up while taunting them, and then make a suit out of their carcuss

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

2 hours ago, MtlJeff said:

I think the people that hit a club 1-2 times and then sell it are very, very few and far between. Probably less than 5% of the people who would even consider themselves club ho's. It's a minority of a minority

But compassion to spiders.... Can't really support you on that one. I often kill them just for the fun of it. Well that, or keep them in a well in my basement first and fatten them up while taunting them, and then make a suit out of their carcuss

I came here for the spider comments, and am not leaving disappointed!  

Have Fun - Ready Golf - Repair Divots/Marks - FORE