Electric push carts (trolleys)

I recently joined a private club and most members walk, which I think is great. A buddy of mine has a motocaddy, older version from 3 years ago. He let me try it out last week and now I want one. There is something awesome about walking down the fairway hands free and not carrying 14 clubs on your back. 

I'm looking at either the M5 gps or M7 remote. Is having the remote nice to have? I like that the M5 has  GPS, I use a GPS watch, not a fan of laser rangefinders.

Anyone have a motocaddy, I know they are hugely popular in the UK. 

I appreciate any insight, thank you.

Callaway AI Smoke 10.5°(9.5°) - GD Tour AD IZ 5

Taylormade SIM2 TI 3W 15°(14°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 HMP (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Vokey SM8 52°(50°) F Grind

Vokey SM8 56° M Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red

My friend has one but it's an older model with older technology.  Heavy battery and RF remote control that is balky and loses the sync with the unit.  He enjoys the remote when it works.  I imagine the new ones work fine and won't have any issues.  He's planning to splurge and buy a new unit like the ones you're asking about when he turns 70 if not a few years earlier.  I use a push cart and while the motor carts are cool, they don't provide me with $1500 worth of awesomeness but if you have the money and want it, get it.  

• Like 1

I have the MGI Zip Navigator and it is one of the best around. Super stable, remote controlled and tons of tech that keeps it going straight and not tipping (a gyroscope or something internally). The battery life is great (I have gotten 3 rounds around Bethpage without charging it). 

I play with several golfers who have a motor trolley and this one seems to be the cream of the crop. MGI makes several models in addition to this one. They are a great manufacturer, and my model is available on the Costco Website with all the accessories. 

• Like 2

Ping G430 Max 9* Ventus Black 60x

Sim2 15* GD Tour Ad Hd 

Callaway X Hot pro 20* Hybrind Tour AD HD 95x

Srixon ZX-7 4-p Modus 120x

Vokey SM9 50, 54, 58

Lab Mezz Max C/B 

15 minutes ago, Bluefan75 said:

I believe the consensus is a remote is a must.  Why spend the money on a motorized cart if you need to keep your hand on it all the time anyway?

You don't have to keep your hand in it all the time.

Vokey SM8 56° M Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Remote is a must - I have the MGI Zip Navigator and I never hold the handle unless I am climbing a steep hill or really rough terrain.  The remote is so easy to use and mindless after you get used to it.

• Like 1
Taylormade M1 10.5*
Callaway GBB Epic 15*
Callaway XR 19*
Taylormade p790 5-P,A
Titleist Vokey SM6 54*, 58*, 60*
Titleist Scotty Cameron Golo 3
Srixon Z Star

Very interested in following this thread. 

I have been a push cart (ClicGear) user for years and as I am approaching 60 young years, I really like the idea of an electric version.  I have a few different ones on my list that are all remote control.  MGI zip, Bat Caddy X8R, and Cart Tek.  I spent some time with Cart Tek on the phone to try and figure out any differences between them all.  After this conversation, watching videos, and reading as much as I can, I will probably settle on the Cart Tek 1500Li.  

Certainly would like to hear from anyone that has had any experience with the Cart Tek.  Thanks!

• Like 2

Ping G430 w/ Tour 2.0
Ping G430 3W  

Ping G410 3H, 4H

Ping i525 5-PW Project X IO
Cleveland CBX 2 48*
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56*
TM Spider X 34" blue

Alphard V2 wheels

Got a motocaddy m5 pro dhc back in August, had always carried or used a push, but felt the time was right, esp as the course i play is hilly.

DHC if you have a hilly course as the gearbox will last longer. Go for the 36hole battery too, just incase you forget to charge! 

Pro has the "send on function" which havnt really used much...

Remotes seem fun, but you tend to stay close to them anyway so bit of a waste of cash.. 

For the money you pay, just wish that they had some type of sensor on them and one on you so when your walking they match you pace and stay a few yards ahead and then stop when you do, no need for a remote really! 

• Like 1

I've got the S3 pro which has been great so far and a playing partner has the S7 Remote.

Whilst it's a cool piece of tech it always seems like he's far to focussed on driving the thing with the remote than he is about either just enjoying the round or thinking about his next shot.

Not to mention he's also dropped the remote a couple of times and nearly lost it, far more things to go wrong with the more advanced models.

Whilst I fancy one I don't think I would spend the money on the remote versions as I don't see a worthwhile benefit over a 'standard' model.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2020 at 12:17 PM, 3fiddyz said:

Got a motocaddy m5 pro dhc back in August, had always carried or used a push, but felt the time was right, esp as the course i play is hilly.

DHC if you have a hilly course as the gearbox will last longer. Go for the 36hole battery too, just incase you forget to charge! 

Pro has the "send on function" which havnt really used much...

Remotes seem fun, but you tend to stay close to them anyway so bit of a waste of cash.. 

For the money you pay, just wish that they had some type of sensor on them and one on you so when your walking they match you pace and stay a few yards ahead and then stop when you do, no need for a remote really! 

Would it be okay if they followed instead of ahead of you? And the first one is made in the UK!

https://www.stewartgolfusa.com/collections/golf-carts/products/stewart-golf-x9-follow?CAWELAID=120102590000001553&CATRK=SPFID-1&CAAGID=106303802344&CATCI=kwd-300135116329&CAPCID=427602770633&CADevice=t&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInLDQ1_Ti7AIVIxh9Ch2IMguNEAAYASAAEgItFvD_BwE

https://www.foresightsports.com/forecaddy

• Like 1

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

15 hours ago, Shilgy said:

A few peeps have the Stewart at the club and they are £££ and the remote seems a pain. 

am just talking about when you are walking between tee and ball, so it just keeps a constant distance. Am sure something aftermarket could be developed that you could just plug in!

the more expensive remote ones need a couple of motors and also a revolving front wheel which is why they cost more. 

• 2 weeks later...

I just purchased a used MGI X3 which is their non remote model.  I should get it this week, looking forward to using it this upcoming weekend.  I have been mostly riding this year, but also walk quite a few rounds with a push cart.  Made the purchase with the hope of walking more rounds.  I am tall and I always felt hunched over pushing the cart, I am hoping this will be a more relaxed experience on the course.  

• Like 1

Driver - Cobra Speedzone

Hybrids

Cobra 17
      Wishon 775 21

Wishon 775 24 
Irons - Callaway Apex MB 6-A
Wedges - Maltby 54 60 TSW DRM
Putters - L.A.B Blad.1 and L.A.B. DF 2.1 Long
Titleist Yellow ProV1x / AVX 

• 2 weeks later...

I am 6'4 and love to walk too but having to bend over particularly when going up hills leaves my back in knots.  Looking seriously at these remote carts.  My buddy has the MGI and loves it.  Foresight just came out with the Forecaddy which has a follow mode but is also $1999.00 on sale which is a bit pricy.   Caddry Trek looks to be a good value for the money and has a follow and march mode.

FWIW, I’m 6’2” and this little advice is super helpful for push carts and back issues: (Even when going uphill.)

”Keep the buggy close to your body with your elbows at 90 degrees and use your big stabilising muscles to push the buggy along (predominantly your core and leg/buttock muscles)”

image.jpeg.a9f6a949316fcbda7eafa5cc3f2e8f0c.jpeg

from:  https://www.mytpi.com/articles/health/should_golfers_push_pull_or_carry_their_clubs

3 hours ago, nitram said:

Has anyone considered the Kangaroo Z series?

I have one, and like it for the most part. If you can store it at your club, it’s great. If not, it’s very heavy, and a bit of a pain to haul around, and put together. The speed potentiometer went out on mine, and I bought a new part from Kangaroo, and the mechanic at my club installed it for me. About two weeks later it went out again. Kangaroo is going to send me a new part, but it is going to take almost two weeks to get here. I live about three hours away from their facility. After I get it fixed, I’m going to sell it, and get a Cart Tek.

• Thanks 1

I'm 64 years old and have the MGI navigator.  I've been a walker all my life and still carry from time to time.  If I carry however, I can play 2, or at most 3, days in a row before I need a rest day.  Using the navigator there is no limitation to the number of days in a row or on those days where I wish to play 36.  I will admit a trolley with a remote like the MGI took a little time to get comfortable.  Early on I micro managed the speed and direction of the unit and it diluted my focus on playing the game.  Now I just send it on its way in the general direction of the ball, and stop it in proximity.  I can readjust positioning of the trolley at my leisure when I am nearing my lie.

Phred

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

i have about 12 rounds on a Caddy Trek. I got an insane good deal on a barely used one otherwise i would not have gone that high end. Paid $500 for it. I like everything about it except that i never use the march or follow features. They are a pain to engage and they don't work very well. otherwise the cart is very stable, batter is good. Oh and the remote has raised buttons which i don't like because if you stick in in your pocket to and bend over and accidently push a button your cart can take off. It's also kind of noisy, it has a slight hum. If i had it to do over i would get the Alphard Ewheels. A few of my friends have that one and i really like it better.

I have gotten in about 4 rounds so far on the MGI X3, bought it used off of Ebay.  The mileage counter stated it had 180 miles on it, so maybe 20-25 rounds.   Thus fary I really like playing with it.  It is quiet, easy to use control, and from what I can tell one round of golf is nothing for the battery as I usually show all bars still on the battery.  

I could see where a remote may be handy at times, but I really like the simplicity of it.  Hope to get many more rounds out of it over the years.  

Driver - Cobra Speedzone

Hybrids

Cobra 17
      Wishon 775 21

Wishon 775 24 
Irons - Callaway Apex MB 6-A
Wedges - Maltby 54 60 TSW DRM
Putters - L.A.B Blad.1 and L.A.B. DF 2.1 Long
Titleist Yellow ProV1x / AVX 

Thanks for all your input and discussion on my question. I think I've made a decision, the Motocaddy M5 GPS DHC looks to be the winner. 

• Like 1

Vokey SM8 56° M Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

• 6 months later...

Just wanted to post an update. I ended up waiting a few months to finally purchase, but I have had my Motocaddy M5 GPS DHC for about a month now. I absolutely love it, extremely happy with my purchase. I have the 28v lithium battery and can make 36 holes on a single charge. GPS feature is great also. 

• Like 1

Vokey SM8 56° M Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Question about these units:

Is it possible to tow one behind a cart for a long travel between holes or up a long steep hill?

Is there a disconnect/connect feature to protect the motor/gearbox?

Thanks

Callaway Epic Speed M10 Smoke
Taylor Made SIM 3W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made SIM 5W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made GAPR HI KBS 4,5,
HONMA TW747P 6-11 Vizard 85g
Cleveland 56* Smoke RTX Zipcore DG Spinner
Lajosi 808 Damascus, Callaway S2H2 Tuttle
Seed 01, Maxfli Tour

11 hours ago, Quasimoto said:

Question about these units:

Is it possible to tow one behind a cart for a long travel between holes or up a long steep hill?

Is there a disconnect/connect feature to protect the motor/gearbox?

Thanks

I have the QOD.  These trolleys have a one-direction bearing in the drive wheels that allows the unit to free-wheel forward, but pulling it backward WILL turn the motor backwards, and is HIGHLY discouraged.  But each manufacturer does things a little differently.

• Like 1

I would not recommend trying to pull or tow a trolley behind a power cart. Maybe if you had a trailer hitch arrangement but if you're taking about just holding on to it with your hand while someone drives the cart, that's a busted shoulder waiting to happen.

Heck, I cringe every time I see someone doing that with a non-powered SpeedCart. It's fine as long as the cart driver keeps it slow and they are pulling the SpeedCart on pavement. But I've seen guys riding full speed up a hill with the pull cart bouncing along on the grass beside the path. That's crazy. Much moreso if it's 60+ pounds of motorized trolley plus golf bag. 

The one absolute in buying a motor trolley is buy a lithium battery. No reason in the world to settle for a lead acid one nowadays, even if it saves a hundred bucks it isn't worth it.

I personally don't care for the remote controls because my home course is hilly and has water hazards in various places. I've only ever seen a remote-controlled trolley go into a hazard once but I've seen non-motorized ones run downhill and into a ditch or pond a couple other times. Gotta have my hands on the handle if there's water around but maybe I'm just paranoid.

I do think the DHC or downhill control thing is worth having unless you play on a dead flat course in Florida or somewhere.

I've put about 50 miles on my MGI Nav AT so far and its been great.  I've got hills and water on my course and I have no trouble making my way around with the remote full time.  It's worth knowing how to engage the mode where you use the button on the handle and not the remote if you are nervous around water or over a bridge, but I use my remote 99.9% of the time.  The only time I know for sure I'll put a hand on it is when I am going up or down the curb in the parking lot and I need to raise the front wheels or cushion the drop.  I'll also sometimes have a hand on it up particularly steep terrain but I wouldn't say I need to.

Side note:  I once sent my manual push cart into the pond after I parked it on a hill and didn't set the brake.  I was lazy and tired and thought I had it positioned OK enough as I started to walk to the 8th green.  I saw it start to roll out of the corner of my eye and made a mad 50 yard dash to try and catch it.  It stayed about arms reach away from me the whole way until I made a desperation dive about 5 feet away from the water.  I got a hand on it but couldn't keep my grip and it slipped thru my hands and tumbled upside down into this nasty a** pond.  Out of breath, dirty and bleeding I start to collect my stuff out of the water and make the shameful walk back uphill to the green.  That's when I noticed the group on the adjoining tee box enjoying the show 😳  

bottom line: a little common sense goes a long way.

Edited by Frank Lemon
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Frank Lemon said:

I've put about 50 miles on my MGI Nav AT so far and its been great.  I've got hills and water on my course and I have no trouble making my way around with the remote full time.  It's worth knowing how to engage the mode where you use the button on the handle and not the remote if you are nervous around water or over a bridge, but I use my remote 99.9% of the time.  The only time I know for sure I'll put a hand on it is when I am going up or down the curb in the parking lot and I need to raise the front wheels or cushion the drop.  I'll also sometimes have a hand on it up particularly steep terrain but I wouldn't say I need to.

Side note:  I once sent my manual push cart into the pond after I parked it on a hill and didn't set the brake.  I was lazy and tired and thought I had it positioned OK enough as I started to walk to the 8th green.  I saw it start to roll out of the corner of my eye and made a mad 50 yard dash to try and catch it.  It stayed about arms reach away from me the whole way until I made a desperation dive about 5 feet away from the water.  I got a hand on it but couldn't keep my grip and it slipped thru my hands and tumbled upside down into this nasty a** pond.  Out of breath, dirty and bleeding I start to collect my stuff out of the water and make the shameful walk back uphill to the green.  That's when I noticed the group on the adjoining tee box enjoying the show 😳  

bottom line: a little common sense goes a long way.

Why is there not video of this! The mental image of you collecting the stuff from the water is priceless.

• Haha 2

Hope you didn’t take more than five minutes to collect everything, lol!

Reminds me of a beautiful sliding stop I made to keep a friends ball from going into the water. Not sure his Pinnacle was worth the pants I ruined in the process. 😂

Cleveland Classic XL Driver
KE4 5 wood 17* 43”
Maltby MXU 23* 
Maltby Tricept TU 5 Iron
Wilson Pi5 6-PW
Wilson JP 55* SW
Ram Watson Troon Grind 58
Ray Cook M2 Mallet