C Tapers?

FOOTJOY16

Hello all.. looking at a used set of irons with C tapers in them.  I've been using Project X for years and am curious about the C tapers although they have been around a while.  Are they still relevant?  Anyone have experience with them vs PX?

Thanks

Titleist TSR4 8*  Ventus Black TR 6x
Titleist TSr3 13.5 Ventus Black TR 7x
Mizuno Pro 221 4-pw Modus 125x
Vokey SM9 52.08F 56.08M 60.04T
Scotty Newport Button Back or
Scotty Select 1/500 Newport Black Mist

Just now, FOOTJOY16 said:

Hello all.. looking at a used set of irons with C tapers in them.  I've been using Project X for years and am curious about the C tapers although they have been around a while.  Are they still relevant?  Anyone have experience with them vs PX?

Thanks

I am a long time C Taper user. I tried PX 6.0s and thought they felt awful. C Taper has a certain feel to them which I like. They launch high and keep spin reasonable. Not low launch like they claim IMO 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TrueWRX said:

I am a long time C Taper user. I tried PX 6.0s and thought they felt awful. C Taper has a certain feel to them which I like. They launch high and keep spin reasonable. Not low launch like they claim IMO 

I couldnt agree more, for me they have a great high piercing ball flight (not ballooning) and spin is right on point. I prefer the “boardy” feel to them vs the PX in terms of shaft bend profile.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TrueWRX said:

I wouldn't say they are high launch.  When I had mine, they were mid launch with low spin.  High launch for me would be the kbs tour.  Did not care for them one bit.  High and spinny and especially bad in windy conditions.   I had PX as well a long time ago in my rac mb tp at the time and hated them because they were so harsh on my joints so I switched out to the c-tapers and they felt a lot better and kept the spin down. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

I'm a long time DG user who bought a C-Taper in a Vapor Fly Pro 2 iron a couple of years ago. Nice flat trajectory, slightly better in crosswinds than my S400's and feel good when caught out the middle. However feel on mishits was awful, and I only have to hit 5 or 6 balls on the range and my left elbow is crying "enough". In contrast I can hit my S400s all day with no complaints.

• Like 1

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

I just switched back to project x’s from 8 years with ctapers.   Nothing wrong with the ctapers, I just prefer the project x shaft feeling over them.  I can flight the ball a little easier with the project x’s. 

Edited by Phabs
  • Like 1

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

I find the C-Tapers to be smoother and better feeling than the PX. I've played the C-Taper 130X (my current shaft) along side the PX 6.5 and the PX is a much harsher shaft. I, too, find the C-Tapers to be a higher flight than expected, but it's definitely not an issue. I will disagree with @bodhi555 regarding the elbow pain. I've been playing C-Tapers for some time now and I've never had any issues with pain. I played the DG TI X100's before the C-Tapers and I couldn't make it through 36 holes without excruciating pain in my wrist (I have arthritis). I've had no such issues with the C-Tapers.

• Like 1

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8* (standard setting) with MCA Tensei AV Raw Orange 75TX at 44.5"
3W: TaylorMade M5 15* (standard setting) with Oban Devotion 8 O5 at 42"
Hybrid: PXG Gen 2 0317X 19* (standard setting) with Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5 at 39.5"
4i-9i: Callaway '18 Apex MB's with KBS C-Taper 130X at 1/4" long
46: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
50: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
54: Callaway JAWS MD5 8C
58: Callaway JAWS MD5 8W
Putter: Kari Lajosi Custom DD201WB

C Taper in 3 iron sets I've owned over the past 7 years, I don't ever see chaning unless its the PX LS or $ Taper. PX 6.5 and 7.0 felt AWFUL for me, not sure why but I think its the stiffness in the handle vs the throughout stiffness of C Taper. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym 9* PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 60 6.0

Callaway Paradym 15* - PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 70 6.0

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 3 HB 20* - Tensei White 85 S

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW - DG 105 S300

Vokey SM8 54* - 58* - TT Wedge 

Bettinardi Studio Stock 35

Titleist AVX

The thing about C-Tapers, and I've been playing them for years and years now, is that they're very unique junk. They work better for me than anything else on the market and I just flat out prefer that boardy feel and flatter flight, but if you have any speed, they're junk. I could post countless pictures on 130X's with bent tips. I re-shaft my 2 iron pretty much every year and my 4 - 7 irons every other year. I've only had to do the 8 iron once and I've never had to re-shaft the 9-LW. Other than that, best shaft on the market for me. KBS has been good about replacing them under warranty, but they're SLOW to do so. I always have a spare set on hand.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 8º - LAGP DJ 65-6
Titleist TSi3 15º - LAGP TourAxs Blue 
PING iCrossover 3i - PING Tour Chrome 2.0 
Mizuno Pro 245  5-GW C-Taper 
Mizuno T22  52º, 56º, 60º C-Taper

Scotty Special Select Newport 2 
Titleist Left Dash -ProV1x

45 minutes ago, The Mad Bomber said:

The thing about C-Tapers, and I've been playing them for years and years now, is that they're very unique junk. They work better for me than anything else on the market and I just flat out prefer that boardy feel and flatter flight, but if you have any speed, they're junk. I could post countless pictures on 130X's with bent tips. I re-shaft my 2 iron pretty much every year and my 4 - 7 irons every other year. I've only had to do the 8 iron once and I've never had to re-shaft the 9-LW. Other than that, best shaft on the market for me. KBS has been good about replacing them under warranty, but they're SLOW to do so. I always have a spare set on hand.

I hear this all the time, but funny enough I've never had a bent tip, (DR SS is 121) but I am a picker so maybe if the club makes better interaction with the ground the tips tend to bend. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym 9* PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 60 6.0

Callaway Paradym 15* - PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 70 6.0

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 3 HB 20* - Tensei White 85 S

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW - DG 105 S300

Vokey SM8 54* - 58* - TT Wedge 

Bettinardi Studio Stock 35

Titleist AVX

53 minutes ago, SUPERG said:

I hear this all the time, but funny enough I've never had a bent tip, (DR SS is 121) but I am a picker so maybe if the club makes better interaction with the ground the tips tend to bend. 

100%. I'm definitely not a picker so I'd see this problem long before you would.

Titleist TSi3 8º - LAGP DJ 65-6
Titleist TSi3 15º - LAGP TourAxs Blue 
PING iCrossover 3i - PING Tour Chrome 2.0 
Mizuno Pro 245  5-GW C-Taper 
Mizuno T22  52º, 56º, 60º C-Taper

Scotty Special Select Newport 2 
Titleist Left Dash -ProV1x

Played PX 5.0 rifle-flighted (115 grams) in X20 Tours. Shafts a bit hard to handle on days I didn't have my "A-game" swing Eventually reshafted.

Tested C-Taper Lights (Regular in 105 grams) in Nike Vapor Fly irons, but went with slightly higher launching KBS Tour 105.

5 hours ago, FOOTJOY16 said:

am curious about the C tapers although they have been around a while.  Are they still relevant?

image.png.5a3ef7e03583e12e9d62480205c008c9.png

C-Tapers hold a useful place in the KBS family of shafts, occupying the low launch, low spin corner.

That said, you need to get the right C-Taper for your swing. C-Taper in taper tip come in five flexes: Regular at 110 grams up through X-Stiff at 130 grams. Lots of variety. Any chance you could test hit the irons before buying.

• Like 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

3 hours ago, SUPERG said:

I would suggest that golfers who practice off of rock-hard range mats and play off of clay fairways are more likely to have bent tips than those who hit off of modern, upscale mats and plusher turf.

• Like 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

Since 2013 I have played C-Tapers, C-Taper lites,  C-Taper 105, and PX 6.0.

Between the C-Taper and the PX 6.0, you can't go wrong either way and both shafts have similar characteristics.  I prefer the PX 6.0. I have them in my Mizuno 919F/mp hmb and ordered them in my P790/P770 combo.  The PX 6.0 launch a little higher than C-Taper's for me. The C-Taper Lites in my Mizuno MP5h's launch higher than the PX 6.0 and feel a bit sloppier to me. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ChipNRun said:

I would suggest that golfers who practice off of rock-hard range mats and play off of clay fairways are more likely to have bent tips than those who hit off of modern, upscale mats and plusher turf.

I agree with this. I’ve played C Taper 130x since their release. I’m a digger, but play 90% of my rounds at private clubs and grass ranges. I’ve never once bent a tip. I’ve had three sets in three different sets of irons.  

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

2 hours ago, MPAndreassi said:

I agree with this. I’ve played C Taper 130x since their release. I’m a digger, but play 90% of my rounds at private clubs and grass ranges. I’ve never once bent a tip. I’ve had three sets in three different sets of irons.  

Saying that you play too nice of courses to have a very common equipment issue is a little ridiculous. Anyways, some people never bend them, some people bend them constantly. KBS will replace for free but it will be on you to pay to reshaft them if you don’t do it yourself. 

Edited by bschett

Mizuno ST190 Driver Fujikura Atmos Black TS 6X
Taylormade M4 3W Tensei Blue CK 75 X
Titleist 818 H1 Tensei White 90HY X
4 - PW Mizuno JPX 900 Forged KBS Tour 130X
50.08 F Vokey SM7 
54.10 S Vokey SM7

58.10 S Vokey SM7

Spider X 35"

9 years(since C Taper launch) and 3 sets of clubs with C Taper X, love them, as far as I am aware I have never bent them.

I have just been fit for Project X, so going to give them a go for a change.

Hitting them they are very similar flight etc I just found I could control the launch better with the Project X which part of me was shocked at as I am so used to the C Taper.

Now do C Tapers have a slight counterbalanced feel? that's the way I would always describe them - My Driver shaft vs 3 wood is a good example. 

• Like 1
  • Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

I've been playing mp64's with c-tapers and mp32's with the old rifle project x 6.0s for several years now.  I honestly love both shafts.  They give very similar ball flights for me.  Very penetrating ball flight that hit and stop quickly on the green.  I don't typically back the ball up much but they usually hit, bounce once and stop typically.  Distance control is fantastic with the c-tapers.  They don't balloon on me.  Haven't looked at other irons in a long time and that's saying something.  I strongly recommend.  Oh and I have a moderate-smooth tempo swing for reference.

• Like 1

Interesting how folks have different experiences  with C-Tapers.  I played them, also the lites model.  At that time, I transitioned from my lifetime favorites, Dynamic Golds.  Anyway, I thought they were a smooth feeling shaft with a nice mid trajectory.  Probably would have continued using them but experienced the tip bending issue on both models. KBS will replace them for free but you still need to pay for install or do it yourself - both ways a hassle!

Edited by Buzzkill
  • Like 1

Handicap:  3

On 10/26/2020 at 12:25 PM, Philomathesq said:

I find the C-Tapers to be smoother and better feeling than the PX. I've played the C-Taper 130X (my current shaft) along side the PX 6.5 and the PX is a much harsher shaft. I, too, find the C-Tapers to be a higher flight than expected, but it's definitely not an issue. I will disagree with @bodhi555 regarding the elbow pain. I've been playing C-Tapers for some time now and I've never had any issues with pain. I played the DG TI X100's before the C-Tapers and I couldn't make it through 36 holes without excruciating pain in my wrist (I have arthritis). I've had no such issues with the C-Tapers.

i've gamed the c-taper 125 in set of 680mbs that had the best ball flight from anything dynamic gold.  x100 was a close 2nd.  if the c-tapers hadn't started to pit rust, i  would have kept playing them.  This season, i gamed a set of 690.mbs with s300s only because they literally in the closet.  i'm looking for a new set of irons now and have been hashly eyeing the px6.5.  however, there are a set of mbs with $-taper 130s in them, used so a tempting buy.  what should I expect in terms of feel and ball flight?

Currently play the LZ 6.0 and the optimizer from mizuno recommended I go C Taper 120S or CTaper 130X. Would you guys say thats too much of a jump? I do think I need something stiffer than the LZ 6.0 as they feel "loose" to me, but will the C Tapers be too stiff? Optimizer stats: Spd-92 Tempo-5.3 Toe down-6.3 Kick Angle-7 release factor-2

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G430LST - Diamana GT 60tx

3 Wood:  TM Stealth 3W - Diamana GT 70tx

5 Wood: Ping G430 Max 5W - Tensei Pro Orange 80tx

Irons: Taylormade P770 4-PW - Modus 130s

Wedges: Vokey SM8 50.14F Modus 130x, SM9 54.12 - 58.12 - Modus 130x 

Putter: Ping PLD Anser 

1 hour ago, ScottHutch2 said:

Currently play the LZ 6.0 and the optimizer from mizuno recommended I go C Taper 120S or CTaper 130X. Would you guys say thats too much of a jump? I do think I need something stiffer than the LZ 6.0 as they feel "loose" to me, but will the C Tapers be too stiff? Optimizer stats: Spd-92 Tempo-5.3 Toe down-6.3 Kick Angle-7 release factor-2

Ctaper 130x would be a huge jump in my opinion, either 120s or 120s hardstepped would be good place to start.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, bitt03 said:

Ctaper 130x would be a huge jump in my opinion, either 120s or 120s hardstepped would be good place to start.

Any thoughts on S+? Full disclosure I was able to hit the 130x in JPX921 Forged heads, but the monitor only had ball speed and spin numbers, nothing on launch or descent angle which would be my concern. I actually liked the feel of the 130x but the spin was a touch low at low to mid 5,000s. I really really liked the crisp feel of these shafts though. I just don't know if they will be the right fit for my swing.

Edited by ScottHutch2

I just demoe’d the C-Taper 130 in a Mizuno MMC 7 iron after the Mizuno shaft optimizer spit them out at me, and I was surprised how high they flew, and how great they felt.  

I can’t comment on spin really, I’m not sure what is considered high or low anymore being that club lofts are so strong. I used to spin my Mizuno MP 67’s with X100’s 1100 rpm x iron number roughly 5=5500rpm 6=6600rpm etc, but the 7 iron I hit (MMC) the tapers in is 32* which was the exact  loft of my MP67’s 6 iron so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  the 7 iron MMC with the taper was just over 6,000 RPM’s off mats at a PGASS 

I thought the C-Tapers would feel more Precision Rifle like, but they didn’t have a kick at all for me. 

I remember hitting the old Precision Rifle around 04, and they had a distinct kick to them in the 7.0 that my friend played in his MP 33’s. The C-Taper just had a constant “awareness” to me of the shaft from butt to tip. I wonder how they compare to the old Rifle 7.0 as far as launch, flight, spin and tip stiffness/ bend profiles go? I’m not one that knows the ins and outs of bend profiles, but  the C Taper felt like the name. The energy “tapered” down from the grip to the tip 👍 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bitt03 said:

Update, I was able to test a few shafts outside on a trackman today. The C Tapers 130X came out on top, but the $taper 130x was a close 2nd. They spun at similar amounts but the launch/flight conditions and the accuracy of the Ctapers was a better fit for me. I was a little scared going up to 130x, but they seem to fit my swing profile beautifully. Another thing to add, for some reason they actually feel "lighter" than the LZ's 6.0 I play now