HMB vs 4 Iron

Ed McNicholas

Was toying around at PGA Superstore Today to see if an HMB 4 iron would be easier to hit then my set 4 iron.  It did seem a bit easier but looked to spin more then mine.  I could probably attribute that to the shaft being a modus 120s and i play tour issue x100.  The questions for those who have tried this club would the x100 knock off that excess spin or does this iron just spin more.  Fore reference i am hitting apex pro dot irons with TI X100 and this was a moduse 120s.  The 147 ball is the HMB and 144 ball is apex pro and both were with a tp5x.  Thanks

PXL_20201026_153030853.jpg.fe1f54e5285fdd6eee5559164ffd4dff.jpgPXL_20201026_152901327.jpg.1667564ebada911d474f9358aa7a12ea.jpg

D Stealth 2 Plus 9 w/ Ventus Blue TR 6x
FW: Stealth 3 wood Ventus Blue TR 7x 

Stealth 5 wood Hazrdus Black 80 TX 

UW: Apex UW 21 with ventus red 8x
Irons: Srixon ZX5 4 iron ZX7 5-pw dynamic gold tour issue x100
Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore RAC 50 and 55

SM9 60K dynamic gold tour issue x100
Putter: Odyssey OG 7CH 34" 

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I’d say it was the shaft.  I don’t find it to spin more.  At least it doesn’t balloon.  It’s right in the sweat spot of spin in my opinion.  

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

9 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

I’d say it was the shaft.  I don’t find it to spin more.  At least it doesn’t balloon.  It’s right in the sweat spot of spin in my opinion.  

ok thanks for the input. I would not say 4600 is a balloon but it is a tp5x.

2 minutes ago, Ed McNicholas said:

ok thanks for the input. I would not say 4600 is a balloon but it is a tp5x.

Yea.  And I guess I should have gave the caveat.  Everybody is different speech.  If you’re a guy who hits towering long irons , it maybe too much for a windy day.  I’ve always found the more spin the better and just learn how to take it down the ladder and reduce spin.  But I know that’s not what you asked.  

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

2 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Yea.  And I guess I should have gave the caveat.  Everybody is different speech.  If you’re a guy who hits towering long irons , it maybe too much for a windy day.  I’ve always found the more spin the better and just learn how to take it down the ladder and reduce spin.  But I know that’s not what you asked.  

i agree that for the most part spin is your friend and it did seem like a very forgiving iron that i probably would not have trouble taking the spin off of.  The reason i am looking is that i am planning to replace the hybrid with a 5W amd might want to push my 4 iron distance out a bit.

I have an MMC w/X100 and bought a HMB to try out from Global Golf (it has a Steelfiber 110X shaft).  My distances and SS are about identical to yours. 

I had to add weight to the HMB, but honestly, there wasn't a huge difference. I preferred the smaller head and feel of the MMC and if anything, I hit it a bit better too.  Regarding spin, I seem to get plenty of stopping power on the greens with it (X100). 

I have tried out a few "easier-hybrid style" 4-irons just for the heck of it and nothing seems to be any sort of improvement over the MMC for me.   I just didn't find any sort of forgiveness premium with this vs. a more forgiving Mizuno or Callaway (I tried their 4-iron hybrid style too: X-forged UT?).  I have also tried a Hi-Fli 18 from Mizuno. 

X100 is a pretty low spin shaft from what I understand, so that may or may not be what you are looking for.  I am no expert, but some people are probably looking for more of a low flight, bump and run play from their 4-iron.  Others, not so much. 

FWIW, you can see my 4-iron strike pattern pretty well in this picture.  I have more toe than heel misses but for the most part get fairly good centered contact.  Those toe misses really cut into spin.  The centered strikes have plenty for my swing (which isn't a high spin swing). 

1224153729_IMG_09423.jpg.1fff38acd94da82d3a20fdf0131c7d5f.jpg

Edited by RoyalMustang

I have the HMB in a Modus 120. Definitely not high spin for me, and I'm generally a pretty high spin player. 

I have actually found -- and there are many others who would validate this (including TXG guys) -- that dynamic gold shafts, while perhaps low-launching, are NOT low spinning, at least compared with similar shafts from other OEMs that are designated as their low launch/spin models. I have always gotten more spin out of DG shafts than other models.

Titleist TSr 1w 3w 5w 7w – ADDI

Titleist 150 4i 5i 6i – SS X100

Titleist 100 7i 8i 9i – SS X100

Titleist SM9 46 50 54 60 – S400

Titleist Pro V1 – White Hot 5CS

11 minutes ago, uglande said:

I have the HMB in a Modus 120. Definitely not high spin for me, and I'm generally a pretty high spin player. 

I have actually found -- and there are many others who would validate this (including TXG guys) -- that dynamic gold shafts, while perhaps low-launching, are NOT low spinning, at least compared with similar shafts from other OEMs that are designated as their low launch/spin models. I have always gotten more spin out of DG shafts than other models.

It might just be that modus 120 is in general a bit soft to flex and definitely softer then x100

30 minutes ago, RoyalMustang said:

I have an MMC w/X100 and bought a HMB to try out from Global Golf (it has a Steelfiber 110X shaft).  My distances and SS are about identical to yours. 

I had to add weight to the HMB, but honestly, there wasn't a huge difference. I preferred the smaller head and feel of the MMC and if anything, I hit it a bit better too.  Regarding spin, I seem to get plenty of stopping power on the greens with it (X100). 

I have tried out a few "easier-hybrid style" 4-irons just for the heck of it and nothing seems to be any sort of improvement over the MMC for me.   I just didn't find any sort of forgiveness premium with this vs. a more forgiving Mizuno or Callaway (I tried their 4-iron hybrid style too: X-forged UT?).  I have also tried a Hi-Fli 18 from Mizuno. 

X100 is a pretty low spin shaft from what I understand, so that may or may not be what you are looking for.  I am no expert, but some people are probably looking for more of a low flight, bump and run play from their 4-iron.  Others, not so much. 

FWIW, you can see my 4-iron strike pattern pretty well in this picture.  I have more toe than heel misses but for the most part get fairly good centered contact.  Those toe misses really cut into spin.  The centered strikes have plenty for my swing (which isn't a high spin swing). 

1224153729_IMG_09423.jpg.1fff38acd94da82d3a20fdf0131c7d5f.jpg

Thanks for the info.  Like I said I didn't find much in it but x different shaft might be enough to flatten it out.  Might be something to try.  I also don't really setup irons to chase as I live in Florida and it's all carry.  I also prefer all my irons to be kind of drop and stop.

21 hours ago, Ed McNicholas said:

It might just be that modus 120 is in general a bit soft to flex and definitely softer then x100

Modus 120 comes in a TX as well. If you liked the 120X, it felt a bit soft, you can always go up to TX ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

If you like the DG x100 feel, TT makes a DG120x you may want to look into, or Elevate Tour (I hit the TT Elevate tours the same height as the DG120x and lower than the DG105X) 

I’m similar to you with numbers, just with my 2-3iron not 4iron. My ball speed hasn’t broke 145mph with a 3 iron in a few years, it’s usually 143-144 😝 I played X100’s for almost 15 years. I liked the Modus feel, but they do feel soft compared to the DGx100. I get more spin out of the DG’s than the Modus....... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I got less spin from the Elevate Tour, Modus 120 and Modus 105X than I did with the DG120X . I Play XP115’s in my irons for reference. I’d play around with a few shafts in the HMB 4 iron...... (same club I tested a few month back btw) and see what works best.

Longest combo for me was the Modus 105X. It is heavier than its name at 112grams. I just made a similar move and bought a DHY with a Modus 105X to sit in my 4 iron spot, since my next club up is a Adams super 9031 3hybrid that also has a Modus 105X shaft in it.

If I didn’t get the deal I got on my current set of T-MB’s  I was going with the Modus 120X in the HMB combo. The Modus 105x was a close second, but not as consistent in the shorter irons for me as the 120’s were. I hit a Modus 120TX, but there was no difference in results as far as dispersion and I liked the 120X feel better...... I have a moderate tempo and easy’ish transition! 

Edited by Drivingrangehero
Add

2 hours ago, Drivingrangehero said:

Modus 120 comes in a TX as well. If you liked the 120X, it felt a bit soft, you can always go up to TX ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

If you like the DG x100 feel, TT makes a DG120x you may want to look into, or Elevate Tour (I hit the TT Elevate tours the same height as the DG120x and lower than the DG105X) 

I’m similar to you with numbers, just with my 2-3iron not 4iron. My ball speed hasn’t broke 145mph with a 3 iron in a few years, it’s usually 143-144 😝 I played X100’s for almost 15 years. I liked the Modus feel, but they do feel soft compared to the DGx100. I get more spin out of the DG’s than the Modus....... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I got less spin from the Elevate Tour, Modus 120 and Modus 105X than I did with the DG120X . I Play XP115’s in my irons for reference. I’d play around with a few shafts in the HMB 4 iron...... (same club I tested a few month back btw) and see what works best.

Longest combo for me was the Modus 105X. It is heavier than its name at 112grams. I just made a similar move and bought a DHY with a Modus 105X to sit in my 4 iron spot, since my next club up is a Adams super 9031 3hybrid that also has a Modus 105X shaft in it.

If I didn’t get the deal I got on my current set of T-MB’s  I was going with the Modus 120X in the HMB combo. The Modus 105x was a close second, but not as consistent in the shorter irons for me as the 120’s were. I hit a Modus 120TX, but there was no difference in results as far as dispersion and I liked the 120X feel better...... I have a moderate tempo and easy’ish transition! 

I was not actually saying that the modus 120 was good of bad but it was the stiff flex which is way to soft and probably adding spin.  I did like the club but would like to try with different shaft.

Cant comment on the x100, but i bought a 4 HMB on impulse to go with my 919F 5-PW when i couldnt get the 919 HMP 4 iron anymore. Thought the HMB would fit the bill. Came with the modus 120 and i hated how it felt and did notice it launched a little high. Added a ctaper 120 and i love it now. 

G425 Max Drive Tensei Orange 

G425 Max 5 Wood Tensei Orange

G425 Hybrid 19* Tensei Orange

MP20 HMB 4-9 DG S300 120

T22 46,50,54,58* DG TI S400

PING HEPPLER TYNE 3 / Mizuno OMOI Type 2

1 hour ago, Ed McNicholas said:

I was not actually saying that the modus 120 was good of bad but it was the stiff flex which is way to soft and probably adding spin.  I did like the club but would like to try with different shaft.

Right on. 👍 I misread that the Modus 120 was S flex, I just assumed they gave you a 120x due to your speed. 

It looks like you had higher launch lower spin with the X 100 in the MMC head, you’d think the HMB would launch higher, not lower, but again that may be how the dynamic loft is delivered with the Modus 120 shaft Vs the X100 for your swing.

for me, there wasn’t much separation in spin between the Modus 120S and the Modus 120x 

Honestly, the numbers are so good with the X 100, why not try that shaft in a HMB head? If you want a couple of MPH of pop extra, maybe try hard stepping a DG 120 X. 

The modus 120 TX has a more DG feel to it. I think the numbers on the Modus  120s as far as spin in launch go were due to how you deliver the dynamic loft through the ball. That may change with a TX . They are considerably stiffer, butt to tip. That may still give you the Modus feel and pop with a dynamic loft more like the DG, which may reduce spin. 

I think the numbers going up in flex on the Modus will only improve your situation....... Hard to beat the numbers on the X100 though

👍🏌️💥

50 minutes ago, Drivingrangehero said:

Right on. 👍 I misread that the Modus 120 was S flex, I just assumed they gave you a 120x due to your speed. 

It looks like you had higher launch lower spin with the X 100 in the MMC head, you’d think the HMB would launch higher, not lower, but again that may be how the dynamic loft is delivered with the Modus 120 shaft Vs the X100 for your swing.

for me, there wasn’t much separation in spin between the Modus 120S and the Modus 120x 

Honestly, the numbers are so good with the X 100, why not try that shaft in a HMB head? If you want a couple of MPH of pop extra, maybe try hard stepping a DG 120 X. 

The modus 120 TX has a more DG feel to it. I think the numbers on the Modus  120s as far as spin in launch go were due to how you deliver the dynamic loft through the ball. That may change with a TX . They are considerably stiffer, butt to tip. That may still give you the Modus feel and pop with a dynamic loft more like the DG, which may reduce spin. 

I think the numbers going up in flex on the Modus will only improve your situation....... Hard to beat the numbers on the X100 though

👍🏌️💥

Yeah I was mainly trying the head.  The x100 was also my apex pro dots which have weak lofts.

I have the HMB in 4 and 5, carry distance just a hair shorter than you and I play s300s, just cuz I always have

Don't have an answer to your exact question, but to offer some color, I switched to HMB 4/5 from H4s, and to me they launch way lower, with way less spin. I am thinking of swapping out the 5i back to an MP54 as a segue into my 6-PW in MP4. If I have 207 into a front pin, I am not confident I have enough stopping power with my 5 iron, let alone 4 iron to longer targets. I can hit an MP54 much higher. And thats me playing s300s and a high ball hitter. I don't hit the towering bombs 200 yards that stop on a dime like I did with my H4, but the HMB are definitely hotter by a smidge, and obviously 1000x prettier. Might be because my miss is thin, so that that into account. 

Basically what I am saying is to me, the HMB is more like a low launch low spin driving iron (the 4i is soo good off the tee), rather than an hi launch high spin long iron replacement that someone looking for "help" or something "easier to hit" would generally require.  HMB is very much a player's club. 

G400 LST 8.5* Ventus Blue 6x 🐐 
UW 17* Smoke 70s

Fli-Hi 19* Smoke 80s
223 4-G KBS Tour 120s
RTX ZC 56.12 / 60.09 ff DG Spinner

FTP SM1 0* loft / 400g / SS GT 1.0