What putter grip size do you use?

Recently got the Odyssey Triple Track Ten S putter, which comes with the pistol grip.

Thinking of maybe switching to an oversize grip, which I have only tried in the store. Start researching a bit and there's so many options/styles, it's a little overwhelming. 

What grip do you use and why do you use it? Has anyone found that a grip that improved your putting stroke? 

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Best grip as far as shape I’ve ever used is the baby t.  The closest I’ve found to that shape is the iomic absolute x and that’s what’s on all my putters.   I had a run with gripmaster as but they’re

A good ole Winn Dritak Midsize on my Guerin Rife Antigua Tropical Finish putter.

Pingman blackout, standard size.  Exclusively.  

Posted Images

I use a standard pistol style grip, it came stock on my Mizuno TPM 3. The texture cut in is like that of a tour velvet, and it's corded. For reference, it's thinner still than the standard pingman pistol grip. My putting grip is very similar to my iron grip, although I don't interlock when putting. Since my grip doesn't change all that much between irons, wedges, and putting, I have no need for something that different in size from a standard grip. I like the feeling of my hands close together, so I don't need some jumbo Pringles can monstrosity. I even have a standard+ players cord Lamkin iron grip on one of my other putters, no flats at all.

Edited by LUXOR54
  • Like 1

I have the new Scotty grip, the thin grey one. I've had SuperStroke's in the past but have ended up back at the Pistolero and I think I'll stay there. The FlatCat caught my eye, but for feel, I think I'm just going to stay with the skinny grip.

• Like 1

TS 3 8.5º w/ LAGP TOUR AXS 70X
917F3 16.5º w/ Grafalloy blue
T-MB 2 iron C-Taper
Mizuno MP-5,  4-9 C-Taper
SM6 47º, 52º, 56º, 60 C-Taper
Scotty Special Select Newport 2, 35" Tour Issue X7, Hard stepped x2, Tipped 2"

My first putter was a PING ANSER (Scottsdale) and I putted with it for 25 years.  It had a PING PP58 and I never changed it as it is still on there to this day. To say it has 10K hours of use is a very conservative figure.

In 2007 I was able to procure a Cameron 009 and after about a week of trying to make a Gripmaster pistol work I changed to a Blackout Pistolini and used it that way for another 10 years.

I switched to a Bettinardi Innoivai Tour putter and again changed the grip back to a PP58. I was perfectly content until I happened to roll a Spider X about a year or so ago with the stock SS Pistol GTR 1.0. While I really didn't care for the Spider I loved the grip, or more specifically the way it felt in my hands at address. After a lot of thought on the Pro's and Cons of making a change last winter I made the change. I had to add a little weight to the putter head to get the feel right but I have gained strokes in my putting and have gone from averaging 28.8 to 28.1 PPR over 166 rounds in 2020. 

• Like 1

JBeam Bullet 10*          Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Exotics CBX119 3WD   Accra Tour Z RPG 372 M5

Exotics CBX119 5WD   Accra Tour Z RPG 382 M5

Exotics CB2 7WD         Accra TZ5-85 M5
TaylorMade V-Steel 9WD   Accra TZ5-85 M5
MIURA CB57 6-PW  MCI MMT-125TX (SSx1)
MIURA Tour Milled 52 56 60 MMT-125TX Scoring Wedge

Bettinardi DASS MiNOVAi Tour Prototype 

Us old guys get to play ALOT of old man golf. 

• Like 1

JBeam Bullet 10*          Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Exotics CBX119 3WD   Accra Tour Z RPG 372 M5

Exotics CBX119 5WD   Accra Tour Z RPG 382 M5

Exotics CB2 7WD         Accra TZ5-85 M5
TaylorMade V-Steel 9WD   Accra TZ5-85 M5
MIURA CB57 6-PW  MCI MMT-125TX (SSx1)
MIURA Tour Milled 52 56 60 MMT-125TX Scoring Wedge

Bettinardi DASS MiNOVAi Tour Prototype 

I'm using a P2 Classic Tour on my Odyssey MXM 9 HT.   It's a pistol style that really quiets your hands.

Third grip of the season, started with the Golf Pride Tour Green Star, went to a SuperStroke 3.0 and settled on the P2.

My putting has improved by 2.4 putts per round since putting the P2 on.  Think I'll stick with it.

• Like 1

10.5 Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero Triple Diamond Evenflow Blue 65
Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood Tensei Blue 75
Callaway Epic Flash 5 wood Tensei Blue 75
Callaway Apex Pro '16 4-PW Project X 6/0
Callaway MD 4 Forged 50, 54
MD PM Grind 58 and 64
Odyssey MXM 9 HT
Taylormade TP 5 X

I always used a thinner grip, like the Pistolini on my old Scotty Cameron, but noticed I was coming up with more and more different ways of gripping the putter to take my wrists out of the stroke - left hand low, pencil, claw, etc. Picked up a Method 003 with a 140 cc Golf Pride Tour SNSR and it's changed things completely - now just grip the putter normally and rock with my shoulders.

I'm on 28.7 PPR according to ShotScope for the season, so I'd say it's working. Would be even lower if I could take the pin out on 4 footers 🙂

• Like 1

The Dee Three - Titleist 917 D3 9.5 deg, Rogue Max 65x, B2 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85X, A1 Setting

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - PW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Rusties - Nike Engage 50, 54 Square Sole, 58 Dual Sole, DG Wedge Flex

The Ladies Putter - Nike Method 003 "The Oven", 33.5 inches, ex Carly Booth

Scotty Cameron Matador oversize. I'm taller 6'3" so like the larger grip it fits more comfortable. Just bought a slightly smaller SuperStroke tour 3.0 to put on though. The Matador just doesn't feel as good as the SS I've used in the past so going to try that out on my current putter.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 8 deg - Mitsubishi Diamana DF 70TX

Titleist TSi3 15 deg - Project X Even Flow T1100 White 85 6.5

Titleist 816 H2 19 deg - Mitsubishi Diamana D+ 90X

Titleist T200 4 - Project X 6.5

Titleist T100 5-PW - Project X 6.5

Vokey SM8 Jet Black 50.12 F, 54.10 S, 58.08 M - TT DG TI Black Onyx S400

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

I recently replaced the original grip on my vintage Ping Anser with a Lamkin Sink Fit Pistol grip. I can’t say for 100% sure it was because of the grip, but since the switch, I’ve never putted better. I was going to buy a Super Stroke but the store I was in only had them in white which not practical for me. The Lamkin was also $10 cheaper. I couldn’t be happier. 

Edited by ScottF
  • Like 1

I prefer a mid to large grip because of the size of my hands and also since i use the claw grip it's easier to get my hands set. As for specific grips I prefer anything that is round with a flat front so Garsen Ultimate, SS Tour 3.0, Winn Pro X 1.32", etc. You kinda get the idea. 

• Like 1

Lefty WITB

Driver: 9° Ping G410 Plus - Tour 65S

3W: 13.5° Ping G410 LST - Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75X

3H: 19° Ping - Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: 4i - 7i Srixon 585 / 8i - PW Srixon 785 - AMT Tour White S300

Wedges: 51° MD3 - 56° Glide 2 - 60° PM2

Putter(s): TP Mills Handmade - SIK Pro Tour Proto - MannKrafted MA/66 LN - and more. 

I have Golf Pride's new Pro Only Red Star grips on both of my putters.  It's just about the same size as PING's PP58 Midsize but with more of a pistol profile.  Pretty cool grip...

• Like 1

Driver 10° PING G400 SFT // Driver 10.5° PING G400 Max 

Fairway Wood 18.5° PING G400 // Fairway Wood 18.5° PING G400

Irons PING i20 (5-9, PW, UW) // Irons PING i25 (5-9, PW, UW, SW)

Wedges 56°/60° PING Anser Forged // Wedge 58° PING Anser Forged

Putter PING Karsten Piper (34 3/4") // Putter PING Redwood Piper S (34 3/4")

Best grip as far as shape I’ve ever used is the baby t.  The closest I’ve found to that shape is the iomic absolute x and that’s what’s on all my putters.   I had a run with gripmaster as but they’re so heavy they take some of the head weight away and I lose some feel. 

Edited by Phabs
  • Like 2

Taylormade M3 9* KBS TD Category 4 

Taylormade M3 4HL Hzrdus Yellow 63g

Mizuno JPX 919 Tours 3-PW Project X 6.0's

Cleveland RTX4 Raw 50/54/58 Project X 7.0's

Byron Morgan Deepwater DH89 w/ Stability Tour  - - Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2 -- Byron Morgan GSS DH89 w/ Stability Tour

Bridgestone Tour B XS 

Tour SNSR Contour Pro 104cc / 90g.

Love it. I've put it on several putters.

• Like 1

Ping G400 10.5 (9.75) Hzrdus Yellow 5.5 76 ( Atmos Blue TS 6 sometimes)
Callaway Rogue 17* 4wd Atmos Blue TS 70  
Ping G410 19*, 22* & 26* Tensei CK Pro Blue 80
Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW SteelFiber i95cw R (2019 Forged Tec SteelFiber i95cw R trial run ) 
Vokey SM7 54/8 M 
Mack Daddy PM 58/12
Toulon Madison H1 neck / Bettinardi BB1 Tiki 2016 / Toulon Long Island
 Wilson Staff FG Tour/ TM Tour Response/ BStone B RXS

5 hours ago, acekun said:

Recently got the Odyssey Triple Track Ten S putter, which comes with the pistol grip.

Thinking of maybe switching to an oversize grip, which I have only tried in the store. Start researching a bit and there's so many options/styles, it's a little overwhelming. 

What grip do you use and why do you use it? Has anyone found that a grip that improved your putting stroke? 

Odyssey White Hot 2 Pro with pistol grip. I'm a traditional guy when it comes to clubs.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, acekun said:

I've been playing with a Rosemark 1.25 Lite grip. It weighs only 35 grams.

It seems all the current popular putter grips weigh between 58 and 125 grams, I understand the heavier (85 gram plus weight grips) may be good to help counter balance a heavy (350 plus gram putter head).

But the putters I play have head weights between 320 and 330 grams, so a lighter grip provides better balance to the putter.

• Like 1

KZG SP700 driver

Srixon F65 3-wood

Srixon H65 3, 4 hybrids

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

Just got a new Olson putter that came with a Gripmaster leather grip. It is bigger than what I am comfortable with. I am probably going to throw a blackout pistolini Cameron grip on it. 

• Like 1

Callaway: Epic Flash Sub-Zero Triple Diamond 10.5 Ventus Blue 6S 
Callaway: Epic 3wd (15) Graphite Design Tour DI-7 S
Callaway: Epic Sub-Zero 5W (18) Fujikura Speeder 857 TR X
Callaway: X2 Hot Pro Hybrid 20 Graphite Design Tour AD 95 S
Cobra: Cobra King Forged MB 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 120S
Artisan: 50,54,58 Raw Tour Issue S400 
TaylorMade: Spider 34 inch Superstroke Counterbalance

8 hours ago, Payton1020 said:

Jumbo

KIMG1342.jpg

Yeah!  I'm using the SS Fatso 5.0, it's made a definite improvement to my stroke. Didn't think I would like it at all, but it works for me.

• Like 1

Cobra F8 Driver - UST Mamiya Helium Black 5F3

TEE EX10 3W - Fujikura Pro 65 (R)

TM V-Steel 5W - (R)

TM V-Steel 7W - (S)

Mizuno MC Fli-Hi 4H - NS 950GH (R)

Mizuno 919F 6-GW - NS 950GH (R)

Mizuno 919 SW - NS Modus3 105W

Callaway MD4 LW - NS Modus3 105W

Black Lab BL-7 CS "All In"