Please explain Executive course slope and rating w/relation to HDCP

I play a executive course down the street: it is a par 30, rating of 30 with a slope of 110.  

When I put my numbers into the handicap calculator, it gives me a handicap of between 4 and 5. I typically shoot 33-36 on this course. To me, this doesn't make any sense; my 18-hole score would be between 6 and 12 over, so how can I be a 5 handicap?  The course is by no means a gimmie executive course; 3 tees are 175, the greens are challenging, and water is in play on 3 holes.  On the other hand, it isn't a ridiculously hard course; it isn't as if the par 3s are 210 over a lake for example. 

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First: your handicap would be determined by your best 8 of 20 differentials. To make this easier, let's say there is no PCC in the mix. Let's also say your best 8 differentials come from combinin

2 minutes ago, ThinkingPlus said:

What is your handicap index?

I don't have one as I just started playing again a few months ago after nearly a quarter of a century away. I have only had a handful of 18-hole rounds and most of them were scrambles with friends or just working on things (evenings so that I could play multiple balls and work on getting the rust off).

Given time constraints, playing 18 holes on a full length course is really hard.  It is close to a full day commitment to play 18 holes (drive time, warm up, playing, drive back). 

8 minutes ago, RoyalMustang said:

I don't have one as I just started playing again a few months ago after nearly a quarter of a century away. I have only had a handful of 18-hole rounds and most of them were scrambles with friends or just working on things (evenings so that I could play multiple balls and work on getting the rust off).

Given time constraints, playing 18 holes on a full length course is really hard.  It is close to a full day commitment to play 18 holes (drive time, warm up, playing, drive back). 

What number are you putting into a handicap calculator if you don't have an index?

10 minutes ago, RoyalMustang said:

It is score, rating, slope, which gives an index.  54 hole minimum.  

https://www.calculator.net/golf-handicap-calculator.html

So you plugged in some scores, got an index, and then plugged the index into the course handicap calculator to get a course handicap for your exec course, yes?

41 minutes ago, ThinkingPlus said:

So you plugged in some scores, got an index, and then plugged the index into the course handicap calculator to get a course handicap for your exec course, yes?

Not exactly: I plugged my scores plus the rating and slope into the calculator which gave me a sample handicap based on those 9 hole (6 rounds) scores I submitted. 

First: your handicap would be determined by your best 8 of 20 differentials.

To make this easier, let's say there is no PCC in the mix. Let's also say your best 8 differentials come from combining nine hole scores which average 34.

Example on your course of par 30, CR = 30, and slope = 110:

A 9 hole differential = (113 / 110) x (34-30) = 4.1

This would produce an 18 hole Index of 8.2. (Or a 9 hole HI of 4.1)

Either way, your CH for 9 holes = 4

Some of the calculators use an 18 hole Index. For others, you need to cut the 18 hole Index in half.

See the note at the bottom of the calculator on this link:

https://digital-dev.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/course-handicap-calculator.html

• Like 1

Fit at Totally Driven:
Titleist TS3 9.5, Oban Devotion 6, 05 flex 65g
TM M4 Tour 3W, Oban Devotion 7, 05 flex 75g
TM R15 TP #3 (19*), Fujikura Speeder 869 X
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW, KBS C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged GW, KBS C-Taper X
Vokey SM8 56.12 S400
Vokey SM6 60.08 S400
Newport 2.5

8 minutes ago, RoyalMustang said:

Not exactly: I plugged my scores plus the rating and slope into the calculator which gave me a sample handicap based on those 9 hole (6 rounds) scores I submitted. 

It gave you a handicap index.  This should be a whole number plus decimal like 13.2 or 8.7.

1 hour ago, mark m said:

First: your handicap would be determined by your best 8 of 20 differentials.

To make this easier, let's say there is no PCC in the mix. Let's also say your best 8 differentials come from combining nine hole scores which average 34.

Example on your course of par 30, CR = 30, and slope = 110:

A 9 hole differential = (113 / 110) x (34-30) = 4.1

This would produce an 18 hole Index of 8.2. (Or a 9 hole HI of 4.1)

Either way, your CH for 9 holes = 4

Some of the calculators use an 18 hole Index. For others, you need to cut the 18 hole Index in half.

See the note at the bottom of the calculator on this link:

https://digital-dev.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/course-handicap-calculator.html

Ah, so it is a pretty simple calculation then.  Just the slope and par is needed, not the rating.  divide 113 by the slope and subtract the difference between the score and par?

I assume that for under-par scores, the slope is divided by 113 rather than the other way around?  Otherwise, it underweights harder courses? 

16 hours ago, RoyalMustang said:

Ah, so it is a pretty simple calculation then.  Just the slope and par is needed, not the rating.  divide 113 by the slope and subtract the difference between the score and par?

I assume that for under-par scores, the slope is divided by 113 rather than the other way around?  Otherwise, it underweights harder courses? 

Not par but course rating. In your example both are 30 and that could be confusing. Here is the formula to calculate score differentials for nine holes:

Score Differential = (113 / 9-hole Slope Rating ) x (9 hole adjusted gross score - 9-hole Course Rating - (0.5 x PCC adjustment))

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/handicapping/roh/Content/rules/5 1 Calculation of a Score Differential.htm

Fit at Totally Driven:
Titleist TS3 9.5, Oban Devotion 6, 05 flex 65g
TM M4 Tour 3W, Oban Devotion 7, 05 flex 75g
TM R15 TP #3 (19*), Fujikura Speeder 869 X
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW, KBS C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged GW, KBS C-Taper X
Vokey SM8 56.12 S400
Vokey SM6 60.08 S400
Newport 2.5

26 minutes ago, mark m said:

Not par but course rating. In your example both are 30 and that could be confusing. Here is the formula to calculate score differentials for nine holes:

Score Differential = (113 / 9-hole Slope Rating ) x (9 hole adjusted gross score - 9-hole Course Rating - (0.5 x PCC adjustment))

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/handicapping/roh/Content/rules/5 1 Calculation of a Score Differential.htm

Thanks.  Playing conditions are interesting.  I didn't know that was a factor and always figured conditions figured into how good of a golfer you truly were.