New wilson irons?

Pesce101010

7 minutes ago, QuigleyDU said:

Oh their rep has been tarnished for sure. Box store brand, budget, to even cheap equipment. Walmart brand, Driver vs driver. Baller box. All examples of terrible decision by wilson in the golf market. 

Wilson.

Wilson/Staff.

Two entirely different brands. Just like Callaway and Strata. Do they get knocked? 

Do better.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, QuigleyDU said:

No regular buyer separates them. That's just silly.. Only your WRX golf geeks do that.. Think logically..

I have been thinking logically. And I'd argue that based on the reactions online at multiple sites, not just this one here, many golfers are excited about the new releases.. Their D lines have been getting great reviews for years now... And the DUO is by far and away one of the more popular budget balls out there.... Just because you think something and can't back it up with facts or data doesn't mean you're right.....

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, jholz said:

I am a little surprised that only one person has mentioned the apparent incorporation of Wilson's "Fluid Feel" hosel on this CB model. To the best of my recollection, this is the first Wilson CB to incorporate it. The FG 100s had it, and so do the current Staff Blades. 

Two things of note about this:

1. The Fluid Feels were some of the most storied of Wilson tour blades back in the day. 

2. Almost no other OEM has followed suit - Callaway being the exception but they clearly went away from it. 

So, I haven't hit a Fluid Feel iron in a dog's age nor have I hit any of the recent Wilson offerings that have incorporated it. The last Wilson blade I hit was the FG59's about 12 years ago.

So, anyone notice any difference with the new Fluid Feels? I just find it interesting that they would bring it back, and that they would choose to incorporate it into a CB. 

I think it's almost more interesting that Wilson didn't mention it. No one mentions it. You would think someone on somewhere would say "The staff CB's also feature a return to Wilson's Fluid Feel hosel, which the company says..." but it's not mentioned, discussed, or stamped on the club. In a world where golf clubs must justify their existence through "tech" it seems like something worth pointing out.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, radiman said:

Oh lord.  I completely forgot about the baller box, haha.  They slammed the breaks on that debacle pretty quickly.  What were they asking per dozen again?  I want to say it was astronomical in price right away.

Exactly. 

Wilson as a company as perception issues. These irons could very well be great!. The staff model blades are so I would expect these to be as well. 

But, they will 100% be overlooked by a large percentage of golfers due to that perception.. Wilson has to find a way to handle that. 

Saying wilson and wilson staff are two different companies is just silly. That is like saying Taylormade and Taylormade TP were different companies. Or that Callaway Apex, and Callaway Mav irons are different companies... It does not make sense. 

They are two different product lines for sure but not different companies. All they will see is WILSON.. 

• Like 1

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

4 minutes ago, xkilgorextroutx said:

I have been thinking logically. And I'd argue that based on the reactions online at multiple sites, not just this one here, many golfers are excited about the new releases.. Their D lines have been getting great reviews for years now... And the DUO is by far and away one of the more popular budget balls out there.... Just because you think something and can't back it up with facts or data doesn't mean you're right.....

Driver vs. Driver,

Almost zero retail space,

Triton, 

Cortex, 

Baller box,

Perception of budget box brand,

These are all 100% facts that they have to deal with. The idea that you can say "they have more majors than any other OEM" means absolutely nothing. 

Don't ignore them just because you don't like them. 

Just for the record again. I am sure these are very nice irons. But they will be over looked and people will say. "I just don't like wilson"... 

Me saying. "well this is Wilson Staff, not Wilson" will make any one say "oh, Ok. Well that is different then".. lol

Edited by QuigleyDU
  • Like 1

BALL; Chrome Soft X

2 minutes ago, QuigleyDU said:

Exactly. 

Wilson as a company as perception issues. These irons could very well be great!. The staff model blades are so I would expect these to be as well. 

But, they will 100% be overlooked by a large percentage of golfers due to that perception.. Wilson has to find a way to handle that. 

Saying wilson and wilson staff are two different companies is just silly. That is like saying Taylormade and Taylormade TP were different companies. Or that Callaway Apex, and Callaway Mav irons are different companies... It does not make sense. 

They are two different product lines for sure but not different companies. All they will see is WILSON.. 

I agree with that.  I will also say that I really want to give these a try.  The Staff Model blades too.  Just can't find them locally to try.  Hoping they up their retail presence.  At least around here.  Could be a Wilson problem.  Could also be the shop not bothering to stock Wilson products.  I honestly don't know.  

• Like 2

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

3 minutes ago, QuigleyDU said:

Just for the record again. I am sure these are very nice irons. But they will be over looked and people will say. "I just don't like wilson"... 

They won't be, just as their other iron lines over recent years hasn't been. 

Nor did I say a thing about their majors.

I asked you to do better. You haven't. It's a shame.

Edited by xkilgorextroutx

3 minutes ago, radiman said:

I agree with that.  I will also say that I really want to give these a try.  The Staff Model blades too.  Just can't find them locally to try.  Hoping they up their retail presence.  At least around here.  Could be a Wilson problem.  Could also be the shop not bothering to stock Wilson products.  I honestly don't know.  

For experience, shops stock products that sell. So... 

BALL; Chrome Soft X

9 minutes ago, QuigleyDU said:

Different lines targeted at different groups, not different companies.

I'm realizing now why this discussion is going nowhere.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, xkilgorextroutx said:

They won't be, just as their other iron lines over recent years hasn't been. 

Nor did I say a thing about their majors.

I asked you to do better. You haven't. It's a shame.

Ok... if you say so.. moving on... 

BALL; Chrome Soft X

1 minute ago, xkilgorextroutx said:

Different lines targeted at different groups, not different companies.

I'm realizing now why this discussion is going nowhere.

Me too... 

• Haha 1

BALL; Chrome Soft X

4 minutes ago, QuigleyDU said:

For experience, shops stock products that sell. So... 

Right.  Was hoping Wilson would or could jockey for some more shelf space.  Get a rep in there pushing the new lineup.  But, historically, I am sure Wilson hasn't been a big draw.  They did have Cortex drivers.  But, they didn't sell any of them until the price markdown happened.  But, to be fair, they did sell out once that happened.  But, they were also almost half off then too.  

• Like 1

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

I’d you do not believe that Wilson golf has perception issues. All you have to know is that they recently fired their marketing director. They are trying hard to change their image. 

i honestly hope they are successful as it would be sad to lose another classic brand.

wilson as a sporting good company is going no where. They are huge. But maybe one day, they like Nike decide good hard goods are just not worth it and bail. That would be terrible..

• Like 1

BALL; Chrome Soft X

Ultimately, in the present age, @QuigleyDUhas a valid point. Wilson has been trying to break back into the market for a while, rather unsuccessfully. Despite a presence on tour, stellar product reviews, fitful advertizing attempts, and a storied history, Wilson Staff is not in the league of the major golf OEMs when it comes to reputation. It just isn't.

But that's totally cool, because Wilson's lack of reputation enables us to pick up a great set of irons at a somewhat reasonable price - if we are so inclined. 

• Like 4

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

3 minutes ago, jholz said:

Ultimately, in the present age, @QuigleyDUhas a valid point. Wilson has been trying to break back into the market for a while, rather unsuccessfully. Despite a presence on tour, stellar product reviews, fitful advertizing attempts, and a storied history, Wilson Staff is not in the league of the major golf OEMs when it comes to reputation. It just isn't.

But that's totally cool, because Wilson's lack of reputation enables us to pick up a great set of irons at a somewhat reasonable price - if we are so inclined. 

$999 for a set may get them looks. If they perform well then they may get sales. Which is all good.

• Like 1

BALL; Chrome Soft X

If these CBs feel anything like the Staff Model Blades then I might have to get a set of these.

I really, really, really don't need a new set of irons, but ... 

• Like 4

Titleist 915D3 driver, Graphite Design YS-six nano reloaded S

Ping G425 Max 3 fwy, Ping Tour 75 S

Adams Super 9031 hybrid, KBS Tour Hybrid 100 R

Wishon 575 MMC CB, Nippon NS Pro 1050 S

Taylormade 52 degrees, KBS Tour V wedge

Taylormade ATV, 56 deg, KBS Tour V wedge 

Odyssey White Ice #2 putter

27 minutes ago, HSTNGolfer said:

If these CBs feel anything like the Staff Model Blades then I might have to get a set of these.

I really, really, really don't need a new set of irons, but ... 

Don't dwell on the "need" aspect.  Just get them when available.  Simple.

• Like 2

Driver: Cobra LTDxLS @ 9º (8.25º) w/ Fujikura Speeder TR 661s

Fairway: Callaway Mavrik 4W @ 16º w/ ProjectX Evenflow Black 70s

Hybrid: Sub70 939x 4H @ 21º w/ ProjectX Black Hybrid 6.0

Irons: Artisan HC 4/5 w/ Steelfiber i95cw Stiff; 6-PW w/ Steelfiber i110cw Stiff

Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º w/ Modus 120s (to  be re-shafted with Steelfibers to match irons)

Putter: Artisan 0318 Deep Milled

1 hour ago, jholz said:

I'm not sure Wilson's problem is with its reputation as much as it's availability. As someone who played Ping irons for the better part of 20 years the only reason I fell in love with Wilson's irons was because I stumbled on to them accidently. The local Golf Shacks head pro is on their staff. When I got fitted last year he talked me into trying the blades. I was hooked. Before that I had never really given Wilson a second thought. If Wilson got their irons into more people hands they would see what a great product they have. 

• Like 2

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

14 minutes ago, braincramp52 said:

I'm not sure Wilson's problem is with its reputation as much as it's availability. As someone who played Ping irons for the better part of 20 years the only reason I fell in love with Wilson's irons was because I stumbled on to them accidently. The local Golf Shacks head pro is on their staff. When I got fitted last year he talked me into trying the blades. I was hooked. Before that I had never really given Wilson a second thought. If Wilson got their irons into more people hands they would see what a great product they have. 

Just go google "wilson golf reputation" read the first article that pops up.. Its a little old. But, Wilson has still not fixed many of the issues.. 

BALL; Chrome Soft X

Price point at first looked good but the stock shaft is uninspiring IMHO and most custom shafts are fairly costly...that would bring the price up probably higher than Srixon and comparable with Mizuno.

So, if anyone from Wilson is listening, it would be great if the custom shafts could be low-cost or no cost!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, radiman said:

He didn't say wilson irons had a tarnished rep. Wilson as a brand had a mountain to climb yet in terms of customer perception. For as good as their irons are, they still have to prove to consumers that they're more than the company that outsourced their driver R&D to reality show participants. More than box sets and cheap putters. 

On top of that, they need to get some shelf space and marketing to actually get the good word out. 

Maybe just fortunate here in Atlanta but PGA Superstore always has Wilson Staff clubs and fitting carts.

• Like 1

Callaway Mavrik 9* - Rogue 125 70TX
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15* - Riptide 70 6.5
Cobra King 3 Utility - Kuro Kage 100X

Wilson FG Tour V6 - X100
Glide 3.0 46, 51, 56, 60 - X100
Scotty Cameron Newport 3

2 hours ago, QuigleyDU said:

Just go google "wilson golf reputation" read the first article that pops up.. Its a little old. But, Wilson has still not fixed many of the issues.. 

The MGS article from 6 years ago?? Even that talked about how they were beginning to bounce back. 6 years is an eternity in marketing terms.

Maybe the brand is tarnished in your eyes and I’m sure some others agree with you, but for me and I’m sure many others that played the V2, V4, or V6 we would tell you they are one of the best, if not the best, iron makers out there. The PMP wedges were fantastic as well.

I will admit at last check their woods are still crap.

• Like 4

Callaway Mavrik 9* - Rogue 125 70TX
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15* - Riptide 70 6.5
Cobra King 3 Utility - Kuro Kage 100X

Wilson FG Tour V6 - X100
Glide 3.0 46, 51, 56, 60 - X100
Scotty Cameron Newport 3

2 hours ago, av1084 said:

Price point at first looked good but the stock shaft is uninspiring IMHO and most custom shafts are fairly costly...that would bring the price up probably higher than Srixon and comparable with Mizuno.

So, if anyone from Wilson is listening, it would be great if the custom shafts could be low-cost or no cost!

Here here! No reason they can’t offer a broader range of stock shafts. Upcharging for non-premium options does deter some potential buyers. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

I'll need to hit them, hopefully Golftown will have fitting heads, although around here, even the lowly rep doesn't have them, just some stock samples.  I would have to get a custom job as no one carries the graphite shafts I want, regardless

Driver: Cobra LTDxLS @ 9º (8.25º) w/ Fujikura Speeder TR 661s

Fairway: Callaway Mavrik 4W @ 16º w/ ProjectX Evenflow Black 70s

Hybrid: Sub70 939x 4H @ 21º w/ ProjectX Black Hybrid 6.0

Irons: Artisan HC 4/5 w/ Steelfiber i95cw Stiff; 6-PW w/ Steelfiber i110cw Stiff

Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º w/ Modus 120s (to  be re-shafted with Steelfibers to match irons)

Putter: Artisan 0318 Deep Milled

30 minutes ago, Sef said:

The MGS article from 6 years ago?? Even that talked about how they were beginning to bounce back. 6 years is an eternity in marketing terms.

Maybe the brand is tarnished in your eyes and I’m sure some others agree with you, but for me and I’m sure many others that played the V2, V4, or V6 we would tell you they are one of the best, if not the best, iron makers out there. The PMP wedges were fantastic as well.

I will admit at last check their woods are still crap.

I think you are missing my point. It’s for sure my fault. I have never once said their products are bad or low quality. They had a time they pushed very hard at very low cost, entry level equipment. That’s not necessarily a bad thing. They made a lot of money that way. But Walmart box sets do not scream quality. I think we can agree on that. 

they have also had repeated marketing gaffs that have not gone well. Again, not a knock on the quality, But very poor marketing. Driver vs. driver winner released then deemed none conforming. For example. The driver was quality but marketing and application was very bad.. there are more of these.

The triton driver is regularly mentioned in wrx threads about the worst clubs ever. Right after the Cleveland vas irons. The driver was decent but the marketing message messed it up.

because of my experience in golf retail, I have personally witnessed many many many that say. “Wilson? No thanks”. Without even trying it to see if it is good! 

Personally, I am about as brand agnostic as it gets. I hold no OEM higher than another.

I hope these do well. But Wilson has an up hill climb regardless of it quality..which I think is on par with everyone else.

• Like 1

BALL; Chrome Soft X

Can totally agree with the marketing part, but for everyone’s sake, it’s Wilson Staff, there is a difference to those that know! Staff products are as good as anything out, irons and wedge wise, if only folks had an more of an opportunity to give them a try. Yes, they get bashed, but it’s clearly in this thread, lots of folks in the golfing community just don’t recognize the difference between the two, W/S vs Wilson branding. Personally, I like that they produce some great products without promoting all the so-called  BS marketing claims that other OEMs do. I would like to see more shafts offered as no up charge as mentioned earlier by above posts. Hit ‘em well folks. 

• Like 1