Las Vegas Golf Scene?

DeeBee30

I'll be moving to Vegas for 3 months from November to February for work. The only courses I've played are the 3 courses at Paiute in the Tri-State tournament. I've done that the past three years. 

I'm looking for a course where I might be able to get the most bang for my buck? If I wanted to practice 3 times a week and play 2-3 times a week where should I go? I noticed Paiute has a $7,000/year membership and if I was there for a year I would definitely consider it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Reflection you also get access to the High performance golf school to right? Great facilities they have to practice there. 

I played Coyote springs on the 22nd. Great course in fabulous condition right. Well worth the drive. $65 for residents. epic deal. Really one of the cooler tracks i've played in a while. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2021 at 2:55 PM, DeeBee30 said:

Debated whether to keep this thread going or start a new one...thought I'd keep it here to preserve the great comments from everyone.

We finally made our move from Chicagoland to Vegas a couple of weeks ago and I'm anxious to sample many of the area courses beyond the 3 I've previously played. We landed in Summerlin, so most of the courses I'm eyeballing to get out on are west-ish. Unfortunately, it took me until yesterday to break out the sticks, and that was just at the Highland Falls range/short game area. It's looking like that may become my home practice area unless I join a club next year.

Anyway - which courses in/around LV tend to hold up better (ie. condition) during the Fall and Winter months? I usually tamp down my expectations over the next few months, but that's based on Midwest courses.

Get on the wait list for Bear’s Best, it’s the best deal in Vegas

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Need to pick one Vegas course to play with a big group from Canada. Shadow and Cancata or whatever it’s called is too pricy. Between Paiute Wolf, Bai Hai, Reflection Bay, and Bear’s Best which would you pick? Or is there one I am missing in that price range you would choose over it? Thank you for any feed back 🙂

On 12/14/2021 at 10:08 PM, gcaudia said:

Need to pick one Vegas course to play with a big group from Canada. Shadow and Cancata or whatever it’s called is too pricy. Between Paiute Wolf, Bai Hai, Reflection Bay, and Bear’s Best which would you pick? Or is there one I am missing in that price range you would choose over it? Thank you for any feed back 🙂

Depends what you want:  Paiute if you want desert golf for your course; if you want "p/lush" surroundings then Reflection Bay.     A maybe on Bears Best if you want to see the strip from tee boxes and play some 'replica' holes on a decent course.

Canada boys - I would lean to Paiute.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, gcaudia said:

Thank you for the feedback. Ya I was just wondering if there was a better course in that range than Paiute Wolf or Reflection Bay. Being more plush or dessert does not matter as much to me as what course has more of the wow factor overall but have great conditions as well.

no; there is not better than those 2 courses.  TPC Vegas is decent, as is Bears Best, Rios Secco Ok.   That's about it.  

THere is the Wynn which has been redseigned that is supposed to be quite good now.

Coyote Springs. It's an abandoned suburb project with an amazing sadistic Jack design, originally designed to be a tour stop. It's long, fast greens, and brutal, but it's worth every penny. It sits 45mins out of town, in the literal middle of nowhere.

Reflection is a normal Jack design, and the conditions are decent right now. Could be better, could be worse. I love all 3 courses out at Paiute, but keep in mind you're gonna get wind rolling down the mountains up there. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Unfortunately, I have the misfortune of having to be in Las Vegas for a few days in May. Was hoping to bring my clubs so I didn’t have to be anywhere near the strip where the hotel is. By early May, is there a summer rate at most public courses? What good publics are there and do some private clubs go semi-private in the summer months?

Edited by ilikegolf26

2 hours ago, ilikegolf26 said:

Unfortunately, I have the misfortune of having to be in Las Vegas for a few days in May. Was hoping to bring my clubs so I didn’t have to be anywhere near the strip where the hotel is. By early May, is there a summer rate at most public courses? What good publics are there and do some private clubs go semi-private in the summer months?

The rates may have dropped a little, but still far from summer rates.  Additionally, May can be the start of aeration for courses and will keep prices higher until aeration.  So you will need to keep track of course aerations so you are not playing on bad conditions.     The privates generally don't go semi, but may offer a time.  But that won't happen in May.

Your best option is probably to play the Paiute courses.  

3 minutes ago, puttnforthe8 said:

The rates may have dropped a little, but still far from summer rates.  Additionally, May can be the start of aeration for courses and will keep prices higher until aeration.  So you will need to keep track of course aerations so you are not playing on bad conditions.     The privates generally don't go semi, but may offer a time.  But that won't happen in May.

Your best option is probably to play the Paiute courses.  

Thank you for the input. I’ll probably be back in this thread again closer to May when I’m finalizing what courses to play. 

• 2 weeks later...

Figured I’d ask here instead of starting a new thread.

Will be in LV for the first weekend of June for a bachelor party (I know it’ll be hot). I’ve played Reflection Bay before and really enjoyed it, so considering playing there again and one of the Paiute courses. Any recommendations? We will have a car and don’t mind driving a reasonable distance. 

Bali Hai seems convenient, but not sure it’s worth the extra $ compared to the two above. 

8 minutes ago, EMA1 said:

Figured I’d ask here instead of starting a new thread.

Will be in LV for the first weekend of June for a bachelor party (I know it’ll be hot). I’ve played Reflection Bay before and really enjoyed it, so considering playing there again and one of the Paiute courses. Any recommendations? We will have a car and don’t mind driving a reasonable distance. 

Bali Hai seems convenient, but not sure it’s worth the extra $ compared to the two above. 

Paiute for sure.  But you need to check aeration dates for Vegas.  The Paiute course look to be through April - so I would recommend sticking with those.

TPC Vegas is a fun course for a BP - you might get invited into the backyard of a party going on or get to see a adult film shoot or more! 🙂

Edited by puttnforthe8
  • Thanks 1

On 3/9/2022 at 2:22 PM, puttnforthe8 said:

Paiute for sure.  But you need to check aeration dates for Vegas.  The Paiute course look to be through April - so I would recommend sticking with those.

TPC Vegas is a fun course for a BP - you might get invited into the backyard of a party going on or get to see a adult film shoot or more! 🙂

TPC Las Vegas is a fantastic course and always in pristine condition. It is a must play.

1 hour ago, EMA1 said:

So Reflection Bay is punching the week before, and TPC will be closed.

Other than Paiute, what is a must play? Looking to stay below $200 and hoping to stay with 30ish minutes from the strip. 

If Reflection Bay, TPC LV, and Paiute are a no-go, my next choice would be Rio Secco. After that my next pick would probably be Bali Hai, most people seem to love it or hate it. I happen to like it, other than a few repetitive back-and-forth holes on the back nine, and the location obviously can't be beat.

Edited by Bonneville85308

Just came back from Vegas. Played Desert Pines and Chimera. I don't think I'd play Desert Pines again. I'd play Chimera again though. It's in Henderson and in a gated community. Lot's of elevation change and good scenery. Fun and fair course. Fairways are as wide as football fields. So if you need something after a night of partying it's a good choice. 

My Current WITB:

Ping G400 LST - Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.5

Ping G - 5 & 7 Wood - Project X EvenFlow Blue 6.5

Cobra Amp Cell - 4 Iron – Project X EvenFlow White 6.5

Ping i200 5-PW – KBS Tour

Ping Glide 4.0 Stealth 50,54,58 – TT Dynamic Gold

Cobra Vintage Stingray-40 

Course overall was in good shape at Desert Pines. Just a bit quirky. Tee boxes are very close to greens. I felt like you had to walk backwards into harms way from some of the greens to the next tee box. I think it was hole 13 running along the freeway had billboard signs over hanging the course. One really close to the tee box and one further down the fairway. 

Chimera was about 30 min from Bally's. Next time I go, I'll play Chimera again and then Las Vegas National.

My Current WITB:

Ping G400 LST - Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.5

Ping G - 5 & 7 Wood - Project X EvenFlow Blue 6.5

Cobra Amp Cell - 4 Iron – Project X EvenFlow White 6.5

Ping i200 5-PW – KBS Tour

Ping Glide 4.0 Stealth 50,54,58 – TT Dynamic Gold

Cobra Vintage Stingray-40 

1 hour ago, FlashNoonan said:

Course overall was in good shape at Desert Pines. Just a bit quirky. Tee boxes are very close to greens. I felt like you had to walk backwards into harms way from some of the greens to the next tee box. I think it was hole 13 running along the freeway had billboard signs over hanging the course. One really close to the tee box and one further down the fairway. 

Chimera was about 30 min from Bally's. Next time I go, I'll play Chimera again and then Las Vegas National.

A group of my golfing buddies played Desert Pines a couple weeks ago. It's on 60 something acres, like 6200 from the back tees. It kicked their asses. Lol

They don't want to play it again either. 

• Like 1

On 3/13/2022 at 11:20 AM, EMA1 said:

So Reflection Bay is punching the week before, and TPC will be closed.

Other than Paiute, what is a must play? Looking to stay below $200 and hoping to stay with 30ish minutes from the strip. 

I would take a look at Coyote Springs - more like a 45 minute trip, but I would say it is up there with Paiute.  I play most of my golf at Paiute and Reflection Bay...I would say Coyote is every bit as good.  Greens were decent, challenging and in better condition than Reflection Bay.  Tough to beat Paiute's conditions though.  Only problem with Paiute is the wind...can get unplayable at times.

Ping Woods, Irons and Wedges
Cameron Phantom X9.5

On 3/17/2022 at 9:28 AM, orr444 said:

canyon gate or spanish trails? was not impressed with spanish trails last time.

When did you last play Spanish Trails? I played a couple weeks ago as I was considering joining. IMO, the layout is fantastic, especially the Lakes and Canyon nines. The conditioning is a bit sub-par, which is what the new ownership is supposed to fix. Full disclosure: I did not join (want something closer to home), but I will play there a few times per year.

Canyon Gate was just OK when I played it. Not a very memorable layout, and ok conditioning. It felt like a nice-ish public course.

On 3/18/2022 at 8:33 PM, OnTheRocks said:

I would take a look at Coyote Springs - more like a 45 minute trip, but I would say it is up there with Paiute.  I play most of my golf at Paiute and Reflection Bay...I would say Coyote is every bit as good.  Greens were decent, challenging and in better condition than Reflection Bay.  Tough to beat Paiute's conditions though.  Only problem with Paiute is the wind...can get unplayable at times.

Do you think the wind will be brutal in early June?