2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Who Among You Tried Shorter a Driver This year?

JohnKHawk

From 45.75 that I see as the length of many stock drivers to the 44.75 length I play, I can not only tell a major difference but impact tape shows a much tighter strike pattern. It is not about whether I can hit a longer length club in the middle, it is about consistency. Could probably get used to longer, but don’t see the point. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

53 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

it's not a popular opinion though i always like to add my 0.02 to these threads. Many of the length changes that get discussed are less than 3% of the total length in terms of change, some well less than that. Going from 45 to 44.5 is a 1% change in total length. 

I don't believe that most golfers could even notice the difference purely on the length unless they knew it had been cut beforehand. I think a lot of times it's a placebo that just leads to more confidence for a new time period

I couldn't tell you the length of my driver (Mavrik Max), i could check the Callaway site and find out but i assume it's 45 to 45.75 in that range. I don't really care which it is, it doesn't make much difference to me. I don't think you really notice until you start getting into ~1.25-1.5 inch of difference to what you are accustomed

In my earlier days, I experimented with driver length.  Including a few sessions where I blindly went along with the length handed to me.  That's where I found that 44.5" was my absolute limit, and even 44.75" would see the dispersion ramped up.

So, from my perspective, yes, a quarter inch can make a difference.  At least it can for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

1 hour ago, NRJyzr said:

In my earlier days, I experimented with driver length.  Including a few sessions where I blindly went along with the length handed to me.  That's where I found that 44.5" was my absolute limit, and even 44.75" would see the dispersion ramped up.

So, from my perspective, yes, a quarter inch can make a difference.  At least it can for me.

You're far from the only one with that experience.    Assuming the effect of the length on the results is linear is a big mistake particularly near the limits of what a player's physical ability and swing can manage.

• Like 2

I play my G400 (standard version) @ 44.25" with head weight at 214 grams (D5 SW).  I'm on the shorter side height wise, so a standard+ length driver gets my swing plane even flatter than it already is.  The 44.25" gets my face impact consistently where I want it, center to slight high-toe. 

I experimented with a 45.25" length for a while this year and found I gained no distance, dispersion increased, and face impact started wandering a little too heel-side.

Ping G430 Max 9* HZRDUS Smoke RDX Blue 🇺🇸 LE

TM SIM Ti 5w Fuji Atmos Blue TS 7x

Ping G410 3h Fuji Atmos Blue TS 8HY

Titleist 816 5h Diamana Blue

Mizuno 919 Forged 6-P, HM Pro 5

Ping Glide Stealth 50 SS, 54 WS, 58 ES

Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 2022 slant

TM TP5

My buddy (fitter) built a club for me at 44.25". Didn't know he was going to use a shorter shaft but it's been great. My SS is faster than my previous driver, although I've been working on speed which is main reason for increased SS. But I'm more comfortable in swinging aggressively with this driver because my accuracy is better, which I think helps my speed. 

I tried the Tour Length (44.5") Cobra SZ with Ventus Black for a short period of time early summer because I loved the look, and figured the shorter shaft may help a little as it has for many - but I could never get along with it. I traditionally play my driver at 45.25", and on the strikes that I was hitting it well (Cobra)  I could not tell a loss of distance at all. However, whether it was the head, shaft, or length - something was just not giving me the consistency that I normally have. So I went back to my Callaway at 45.25", and flipped the Speedzone. Really odd, I thought the shorter shaft would help with ball striking for sure. A more fair test would be to shorten my driver to test, BUT no way am I doing that after my experience earlier, and I really don't want to buy another TPO to give it a go either.

Edited by vstensrud23
spelling error

G400 Max 9* : Ventus Black 6X

Stealth+ 3W 15* Diamana ZF 70TX

TSI3 3H 20* : Atmos TS Blue 8X or '19 P790 3i : RIP Alpha 105X

'21 T100 4-PW : AMT Tour White S300

SM8 50.08F, 54.14F, SM9 58.08M : DG S300

‘22 Phantom X7 or '00 WH Rossie

Pro V1

I went a few directions in the last year. Had driver at 44" It was better than standard but the face cracked. I got a '16 M2 at 45.75" and left it there for a little while. It also had a midsize grip with 3 wraps under it. I may switch all my grips to midsize. I had that one cut to 45" and a standard grip put on. Good shots were really good, bad ones were really bad. I tried playing with lead tape just to see if swing weight was a factor. I don't think I fit into that head and/or shaft that well. Now in a TS3 at 45.5" and I may leave it like that other than moving to a midsize grip. 

We're going on a Minimalist Adventure who knows were we'll end up:

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 13.5

Taylormade Sim Max 7w Mitsubishi Diamana F Limited 75S

Odds or Evens - Callaway Mavrik Pro 6-PW Project X Rifle Tour Flighted 105 6.0

White Hot OG #1

Srixon Z Star/Chrome Soft X

I put a 7X Atmos Black 43.5" on my Mizuno head.  It didn't work well: the timing was off as my swingweight had changed a ton. Now, if I had added tape, it may have been a different story.  It certainly could have been something I would have gotten used to.  With that said, the 44.5" I am playing seems to be OK so far.  

I've tinkered a lot with driver setup this year... will spare all the details, but one fun experiment has stood out to me and stayed in the bag the most.

I picked up an 8.5* 905R w/ an NV 85 X and cut it about an inch to 43.5" - total weight comes in around 355g or closer to 360 w/ a little lead tape.  This setup has (by far) given me the most consistent center-face strikes, tightest dispersion and consistent distance (mainly due to the center face strikes).  Distance-wise, I am leaving some on the table, but not an outrageous amount. I'll take that if I'm finding the center of the clubface and fairway more often.

I do intend to get an updated fitting having made some swing changes for the better. But I would say in my experience, shorter length is definitely worth a shot if you can dial in the weighting/feel of shaft and head for your swing.

• Like 2

I’m very short and light, so I have great difficulty controlling drivers over 44.25”. Most of the year I used a 43.75” at D3. 

If I was 5’10 or taller and 180+ pounds, I’d be trying a 47” driver. Maximizing distance is such a huge advantage. 

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

44 1/2" for me, more consistent center strikes mean same or more distance as 45.5" shafts.

Edited by GSDriver

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

Went from 45.5" to 44.5". I saw a slight increase in consistency and no distance loss. My miss prior to going short was heel and since going shorter that has changed and now my miss is toe side. While the toe miss is less frequent, I could manage the low heel miss shots since the right side of my home course tends to be open and the toe miss could get me into trouble so I might be adding half an inch or so to find that perfect length. 

TM SIM 9* Ventus Black 6TX 
TM SIM Ti 19* Ventus Black 9TX 
TM P790 3 DG X100 

TM P7MC 4, 2014 MB 5-PW DG X7
TM MG 52, 56, Hi-Toe 60 DG S400
TM Spider Tour Black

I bought a Cobra Speedzone Extreme in their 'tour length' model that plays at 44.5.  One of my favrorite drivers of all time was a TM R5 with an NVS Orange shaft playing a 44.5 inches.  The Cobra was a dud for me at that length.  It felt great, but was short.  The best driver I ever had was a PING G400 Max playing at 45.75.

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

I was playing a shaft in my TS3 that was 45.75" and have a downward AOA at about -3º with driver. Just got a new shaft thats gonna be 45" to see if it will help my AOA at all and possible help my dispersion. Thought of going down to 44.5", but its always easier to cut it down than add back to it. I will let you know how it goes once I get on the Trackman at our store.

Driver - Titleist Tsi2 10º w/ KBS TD 60 Cat 4

4W - Titleist 917F2 16.5º w/ Tour AD DI 7S

3h - Titleist Tsi2 18º w/ KBS Tour Ptototype 85 S+ 

Irons - Titleist T100s 4-P w/ Modus 120 X shafts

Wedges - Titleist SM8 50, 55, and 60

Putter - Cleveland Classic TA2 milled Long neck 

Ball - Prov1x

Tried the "shorter driver" thing for a few years with mixed results depending on shaft. Seemed to get everything off the toe. Six months ago I took a winger on "longer driver" at 46" and the results have been longer and straighter and more sweet spot contact. I'm sticking with with it.

TM 2020 SIM, Aldila Rogue Silver 60 r
TM 2020 SIM 3w, Aldila Rogue Black 80 r 
TM 2021 SIM2 5w, Aldila Rogue Black 80 r 
TM M4 5-PW, TT XP95 S300 
TM EF 47* 52* & 56*, KBS  610, XFT 60*, KBS Hi Rev
TM CB Spider Mallet 

Fellas maybe you can help me out here. 

I bought a Ventus blue a little while ago. When I got it, I just got it at the same length as the stock shaft I was playing, which is 45.75 (Ping).

I hit it ok, but I would love a little more consistency regarding center of the face contact. 

I’ve not done alterations of this kind before. If I take this into my local shop and get .75 taken off, it lower the swing weight by about 3 pts, and I’d have to tinker with lead tape to get it back to where I like it, right?

Edited to add: it looks like I can also get a heavier weight for the head of the club. Apparently the G400 stock head weight is 13 grams, and I can get one as heavy as 18 to replace this.

Or can counterbalance with weight at the end of the grip?

Anyone else done this before who can share their experience with a neophyte? 

Edited by thesamwise

Both of my drivers are set at 44.5" which I've found is the ideal length for me at 6'3".  I do have a couple of different shafts that bring them to 45" and 44", but the compromise has been working well so I won't mess with it...

Driver PING G SF Tec

Wood PING G (18.5*)

Irons PING G30 (6-SW)

Putter PING DS72 2021 (35")

Bag Jones Classic Stand

Cart Clicgear 3.5+

4 hours ago, PowderedToastMan said:

I’m very short and light, so I have great difficulty controlling drivers over 44.25”. Most of the year I used a 43.75” at D3. 

If I was 5’10 or taller and 180+ pounds, I’d be trying a 47” driver. Maximizing distance is such a huge advantage. 

I'm 5'6 + and 150 libs and had been playing standard 45" driver until recently when I went with 44". I don't know if it's that or the 90 gram high flight hybrid shaft I put in it but now it is one of the easiest clubs to hit in my bag.

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

12 hours ago, MtlJeff said:

it's not a popular opinion though i always like to add my 0.02 to these threads. Many of the length changes that get discussed are less than 3% of the total length in terms of change, some well less than that. Going from 45 to 44.5 is a 1% change in total length. 

I don't believe that most golfers could even notice the difference purely on the length unless they knew it had been cut beforehand. I think a lot of times it's a placebo that just leads to more confidence for a new time period

I couldn't tell you the length of my driver (Mavrik Max), i could check the Callaway site and find out but i assume it's 45 to 45.75 in that range. I don't really care which it is, it doesn't make much difference to me. I don't think you really notice until you start getting into ~1.25-1.5 inch of difference to what you are accustomed

I dropped my M6 from 45.75" to 43.5" and noticed a huge improvement.  I am way more consistent, feel more confident going after it harder, and am hitting it both farther along with far more consistent. This all started when I grabbed my wife's M2 ladies driver on the driving range and just pounded it.   I tried it again out on the course and the same thing happened.  That set off a light bulb to give a 43.5" shaft a try in my M6.  Since making the switch I've the best driving days I've had in ages.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I tried 44.5 inch lengths in both the Cobra F9 (Tour Length) and the Callaway Mavrik drivers. I found that my dispersion was better with the Cobra , but hit some of my longest drives with the  Mavrik.  Both came with heavier weights to adjust the swing weight. My conclusion, it depends on driver. If you can, try it when being fitted.

23 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

From 45.75 that I see as the length of many stock drivers to the 44.75 length I play, I can not only tell a major difference but impact tape shows a much tighter strike pattern. It is not about whether I can hit a longer length club in the middle, it is about consistency. Could probably get used to longer, but don’t see the point. 

I also see that I am considerably more accurate and I estimate that I may have only lost one club length max only on my better hits with the longer shaft.

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

About 5-6 years I ago I played in an event where I was sponsored by Bridgestone.  Something got messed up on the order sheet and they cut my driver down to 43.5".  Had no choice but to play it at that length for 4 days in the event.  To say I was floored with the performance was an understatement.  When I got back home I played several other rounds with my normal playing buddies and all of them commented on how confident I had become with the driver.  I really wasn't giving up much distance either, which was the biggest surprise.  Sadly I got rid of that Bridgestone J715 driver (still have major regrets about it) but I've dabbled with shafts from 43.5 to 44.75 inches long and, for me, the 43.5 to 44 inch range is money.

Recently I got my hands on a TM Original One 11.5* mini driver and decided to give it a shot.  It's an absolute BEAST off the tee!  The guys I typically play with hit it out there a long way and I'm hanging with them on every hole.  I don't think I'll ever go back above the 44" length on a driver again.

• Like 2