Idea for controlling distance--reducing tee height

After hearing Ian Poulter's comments on curtailing distance by controlling the loft of drivers I was thinking of other ways to reduce distance without rolling the ball or driver technology backwards.  Now I'm not overly concerned with the rise in distance, but my idea is to reduce the tee height that players can use.  The R&A and USGA currently limit the tee height to 4" and it certainly looks like DeChambeau uses about a 4" tee.  If tee heights were reduced to ~3 inches, players wouldn't be able to have as positive of an AOA, reducing their ability to hit the high low-spin bomb.  Swing speed would still be a priority but distances wouldn't be so astronomical. Thoughts?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Go back to a mini mound of sand I say!

Has been and is being discussed in other threads.

Ahhh ... but we're talking about the USGA. The RoG would wind up with three full pages, detailing the limitations on the types of sand that could be used, restrictions on the moisture content, maximum

Nice first post after joining 2hrs ago.🙄

Ping G410 Plus 10.5°/Alta CB55 r flex
Maltby KE4 TC 5w/Xcaliber SL FW r flex

Maltby KE4 Tour 3h/Xcaliber HY r flex
Maltby KE4 Tour 4h/Xcaliber HY r flex
Maltby KE4 Tour 5h/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex
Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex
Maltby Tricept 54° and 58°/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex
Mizuno Bettinardi C06

Bryson doesn’t even spin it low, he spins it relatively high with driver bc he’s probably hitting it below center a lot. Lots of his drives that balloon. He just has a ton of speed. 190 ball speed is going to go far regardless. 

if anything I would say his chase of swinging really far up is hurting his contact and giving him abnormally high spins. Pro long drive guys get lower spin than him with similar equipment and a bit more speed. 

9 hours ago, AlexA12 said:

After hearing Ian Poulter's comments on curtailing distance by controlling the loft of drivers I was thinking of other ways to reduce distance without rolling the ball or driver technology backwards.  Now I'm not overly concerned with the rise in distance, but my idea is to reduce the tee height that players can use.  The R&A and USGA currently limit the tee height to 4" and it certainly looks like DeChambeau uses about a 4" tee.  If tee heights were reduced to ~3 inches, players wouldn't be able to have as positive of an AOA, reducing their ability to hit the high low-spin bomb.  Swing speed would still be a priority but distances wouldn't be so astronomical. Thoughts?

I don't see that trend happening anytime soon. Certainly it would be to Poulter's advantage but not Bryson's. The train has already left the station on this one. 

One way to control distance is to just wait it out. Anyone swinging out of their shoes like Bryson for extended periods of time is going to destroy their back.  Another 12-18 months of swinging like he is swinging may end Bryson's career.

If it goes right, it's a slice. If it goes left, it's a hook. If it goes straight, it's a miracle.

A 3" tee is still plenty long. I use 3 1/4" and never come close to maxing out the height. Would maybe help with the extreme 5 degree drivers but those guys are still going to hit it far. 

Titleist 917 D3 9.5* Kiyoshi Black 65-05
Titleist 917 F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X
Titleist 818 H2 19* Tensei White 100-X
Mizuno MP-69 3-PW PX 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM7 Jet Black 54* S PX 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM7 Jet Black 60* M PX 6.0
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ IOmic

1 hour ago, wildcatden said:

One way to control distance is to just wait it out. Anyone swinging out of their shoes like Bryson for extended periods of time is going to destroy their back.  Another 12-18 months of swinging like he is swinging may end Bryson's career.

Why ? There are pro long drives who have swung hard for decades 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, pinhigh27 said:

Why ? There are pro long drives who have swung hard for decades 

Bryson has the added factor that he needs to keep it on the planet. The long drive guys swing like mad but only need to get 1 inbounds. PGA Tour requires 14 drives inbounds per round. One is swinging more freely than the other.

We can agree to disagree. Revisit in 12-18 months.

If it goes right, it's a slice. If it goes left, it's a hook. If it goes straight, it's a miracle.

3 hours ago, wildcatden said:

Bryson has the added factor that he needs to keep it on the planet. The long drive guys swing like mad but only need to get 1 inbounds. PGA Tour requires 14 drives inbounds per round. One is swinging more freely than the other.

We can agree to disagree. Revisit in 12-18 months.

So the fact that he needs to get one in play makes him more likely to hurt himself ? Huh 

I think the guy swinging out of his shoes to hit the home run ball with no consequences is way more likely to hurt himself. Bryson has videos where he hits 140 SS but he’s not doing that on tour events . He’s not swinging out of his shoes at all . He has more in the tank. 

• Like 1

At the end of the day, the long hitters are going to still hit it longer than the short knockers (duh).  You can roll it back, or find a way to curtail it but bombers are still going to be further down the course.  It might group the balls closer but they're probably still going to be hitting one or two clubs less.

End of the day, I think we've got to just embrace it.  I think people are also talking down the skill and amount of work put in to swing that hard and keep the ball in play

On 10/27/2020 at 2:56 AM, Edaw68 said:

Didn't some commentator (Faldo?) suggest just eliminating teeing it up entirely?

Can we eliminate Faldo from Golf entirely?

• Like 1

Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Diamana D+
Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
Titleist T100 4-PW Stiff Project X LZ
Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1x 2019

10 hours ago, taporsnap17 said:

At the end of the day, the long hitters are going to still hit it longer than the short knockers (duh).  You can roll it back, or find a way to curtail it but bombers are still going to be further down the course.  It might group the balls closer but they're probably still going to be hitting one or two clubs less.

End of the day, I think we've got to just embrace it.  I think people are also talking down the skill and amount of work put in to swing that hard and keep the ball in play

Exactly. YMCA basketball players don’t have 40 inch verticals, yet I don’t see them bemoaning the nba and calling for limitation of it. 

average golfer hits it extremely short because their swing sucks. They get a better swing they hit it further 

2 hours ago, pinhigh27 said:

Exactly. YMCA basketball players don’t have 40 inch verticals, yet I don’t see them bemoaning the nba and calling for limitation of it. 

average golfer hits it extremely short because their swing sucks. They get a better swing they hit it further 

I think you guys are missing what has really happened here.  You’re looking at it backwards.  

to your analogy.  It would be like if the ymca had petitioned or sued the nba and basketball rules makers in the 90s to lower the basket to 7.5 ft for all.  And won.   And now we’d be watching Labron hit his  chest on the rim as he dunked.  All so the ymca guys could touch the net.  

that’s what happened to golf.  

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 1

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red 6x 

TM RBZ 14* Addi 8x 

Ping g410 17.5* synergy blue 70TX 

Miura MC-501 3-Pw modus 130x 

Artisan 53 59 modus 130s 

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/27/2020 at 4:59 AM, freowho said:

Bryson would just use more sand because he is a disrupter!

Ahhh ... but we're talking about the USGA. The RoG would wind up with three full pages, detailing the limitations on the types of sand that could be used, restrictions on the moisture content, maximum width at the base, whether it could only be conical, or could be a three or four sided pyramid, etc., etc. And what about sourcing? Players currently have to provide their own tees. Would tour bags all start needing a separate big pocket for their individual sand (like caddies don't already carry everything but the kitchen sink), or would courses be required to provide sand pits next to each tee box?

Then, after a couple of years and the realization that the players had all adapted pretty much within the first month, and the rule was making no discernable difference at all, subsequent restrictions would be added, with the inevitable battles over whether the Rule was going to be universal or some restrictions would only apply to pros and not amateurs - perhaps the pros would need to form their sand tees by hand, while amateurs would be permitted the use of one of the many molds I'm sure TaylorMade and Titlist would quickly start producing.

Ha! It would be madness I tell you, madness!

• Like 2