Do I need to upgrade?

Picking golf back up after nearly 7 years away from the game due to kids, work, etc., and I have not kept up with equipment changes in that time. Just joined another CC and am sitting on the following equipment:

TM SLDR Driver w/ stock Fubuki shaft

Adams Idea XTD hybrid w/ stock Fubuki shaft (use it as a 5 wood)

TM Rocketballz hybrid w/ stock shaft

4-GW Adams Idea CMB with KBS Tour C Tapers

Scor Wedges (hate them, these are the first to go)

Scotty Newport 2 putter

Dozens of 2013 Pro V1x balls

Bushnell Pinseeker 1500

Basically what I'm asking is have any major advances come around since 2013 rendering any of this equipment worthless? I love them all (except the wedges) but would be willing to trade up if it's all obsolete trash at this point. Any advice would be greatly appreciated before I begin researching.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good luck getting the SLDR out of the bag. 

I wouldn't say your clubs are obsolete by any stretch, but the SLDR is an incredibly low MOI driver.  If you hit it out the center consistently that driver may be awesome for you.  If you miss center

Hit and compare new clubs versus yours to see if you find a meaningful difference.   I think you could better with driver than the SLDR.   Dave

I got back into the game this year after pretty much the exact same amount of time off and have been experimenting since with new stuff, so maybe I can offer my perspective.

The first thing I did was replace my wedges. Mine were already worn out in 2013 so that was a logical first step. The tech hasn’t changed much, but there are a lot more options now, so do your research, get fit if possible, and upgrade as wanted/needed.

I have seen little to no real, on course improvement in the players CB category. Things are absolutely better in every measurable way now than before, but in my experience the gains are very marginal on the course. If you like your CMBs, you aren’t giving up much in the real world against their modern equivalents.

There have definitely been improvements in metal-woods across the board. I’m blown away by how hot drivers and fairways today are on mishits. My best drives now are no better than with my older kit, but small mishits might as well be struck perfectly. I think this is definitely a place where it’s worth the upgrade. That said, it may also be worth waiting if you like what you have until your back in the groove before getting re-fit. 

• Like 1

Titleist TS3 - Diamana ZF

Mizuno MP Titanium 15* & 18* - Diamana Kai’li

Mizuno MP68 (raw) 3-PW - KBS Tour

Vokey SM7 (raw) 55*M & 60*L - KBS Tour

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Mid Slant

Lamkin Crossline Cord Midsize | ProV1

To start out, driver and wedges.  Get out more and see how the rest performs and gapping to see if what you have fits and what new to newish gear can add.

• Like 1

SM 3.5 Bag:

Ping G410 9* Plus w/ Tensei Orange Pro 60 TX

TM Sim Ti 14* w/ Kai'Li 80X

Titleist TS3 19* w/ Evenflow EF T1100 6.0

Edel VL 4-PW w/ Paderson TS-I S

Edel 50/54/58 w/ Paderson TW-I S

Piretti Potenza II 365g 34"

26 minutes ago, KING246 said:

What was your handicap prior to your hiatus?

Usually hovered around a 2

44 minutes ago, EDT501 said:

I got back into the game this year after pretty much the exact same amount of time off and have been experimenting since with new stuff, so maybe I can offer my perspective.

The first thing I did was replace my wedges. Mine were already worn out in 2013 so that was a logical first step. The tech hasn’t changed much, but there are a lot more options now, so do your research, get fit if possible, and upgrade as wanted/needed.

I have seen little to no real, on course improvement in the players CB category. Things are absolutely better in every measurable way now than before, but in my experience the gains are very marginal on the course. If you like your CMBs, you aren’t giving up much in the real world against their modern equivalents.

There have definitely been improvements in metal-woods across the board. I’m blown away by how hot drivers and fairways today are on mishits. My best drives now are no better than with my older kit, but small mishits might as well be struck perfectly. I think this is definitely a place where it’s worth the upgrade. That said, it may also be worth waiting if you like what you have until your back in the groove before getting re-fit. 

Thanks, you're the perfect person to answer this question, even the same handicap. Everyone else seems to agree with you that the woods/hybrids are obsolete, will start demoing those first.

And thanks to everyone else who responded.