2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Steel to Graphite

hondarob

I am looking for suggestions, advice on moving to graphite shafts in my irons.  I currently play DG S300 in my DCI 990's and am ok with the feel, and flight but not dispersion or distance for that matter.  I understand its mostly me when it comes to hitting a good shot.  I want to try out graphite shafts in the hopes of better feeling shots and less banging on my wrist and elbows.  My normal round of golf is between 74 and 86 depending on what type of round I am having.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

My swing speed is unknown but I hit my 7 iron between 150-160ish.

PXG 0811 X+ Proto 9.5* 

Titleist 917 F2 15*

Taylormade Burner Superfast 2.0 Rescue 18*

Taylormade RSI TP 3-PW

Cleveland CG12 50, 54 Callaway MD3 60

Scotty Cameron Special Select Fastback 1.5

Definitely worth exploring.  All sorts of options in steel and graphite these days.  Including keeping the DG profile while switching shaft weights.  Start with looking at DG AMT, or the DG 120 or DG 105.  You'll be able to maintain a similar trajectory while perhaps gaining some clubhead speed.  Also be open minded about upgrading irons.  The 990s are over 20 years old and you might benefit from some new features of more modern irons.

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 8.5° A-1 setting Graphite Design YS-6+ 65g stiff

Wood:  Titleist 980F 17° Aldila NV stiff

Hybrid: Titleist 909H 21° Aldila Voodoo stiff 

Irons:  Titleist 716 AP2 4- W  DG AMT S300

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7  54°,  58° DG S200

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot #1 Tour

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

OP, you can get more pointed responses if you give an indication of what weight and flex you are looking for with the graphite.  Short of demoing, no real way for us (or you) to know what will work for you.  There are plenty of people on this site who have moved from heavy DG S300 to Steelfiber 95 for example, which is a big weight difference, but seems to work for certain people.

I really resisted the switch to graphite, even after getting fit for Steelfiber 110.  Kept going back to steel this season, and had elbow pain in both elbows, shoulder pain, etc.  Switched back to graphite regularly a couple of months ago, and a big difference now.  My joints and body feel much better.

Bottom line, there are really a ton of great options out there.  Steelfiber 90, 95, 110, 115, etc.  Recoil 95, 110, etc.  Mitsubishi MMT.  Project X Catalyst.  Accra.  Those are the usual suspects, and safe to say, something in there that works for pretty much anyone.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

3 minutes ago, Old Tom Morris said:

Definitely worth exploring.  All sorts of options in steel and graphite these days.  Including keeping the DG profile while switching shaft weights.  Start with looking at DG AMT, or the DG 120 or DG 105.  You'll be able to maintain a similar trajectory while perhaps gaining some clubhead speed.  Also be open minded about upgrading irons.  The 990s are over 20 years old and you might benefit from some new features of more modern irons.

I am exploring options for new irons but its hard to go away from something that has been good for so many years.  

PXG 0811 X+ Proto 9.5* 

Titleist 917 F2 15*

Taylormade RSI TP 3-PW

4 minutes ago, jeffrey r said:

OP, you can get more pointed responses if you give an indication of what weight and flex you are looking for with the graphite.  Short of demoing, no real way for us (or you) to know what will work for you.  There are plenty of people on this site who have moved from heavy DG S300 to Steelfiber 95 for example, which is a big weight difference, but seems to work for certain people.

I really resisted the switch to graphite, even after getting fit for Steelfiber 110.  Kept going back to steel this season, and had elbow pain in both elbows, shoulder pain, etc.  Switched back to graphite regularly a couple of months ago, and a big difference now.  My joints and body feel much better.

Bottom line, there are really a ton of great options out there.  Steelfiber 90, 95, 110, 115, etc.  Recoil 95, 110, etc.  Mitsubishi MMT.  Project X Catalyst.  Accra.  Those are the usual suspects, and safe to say, something in there that works for pretty much anyone.

I am ok with the weight and flex of the S300's but again I am open to trying new things.

PXG 0811 X+ Proto 9.5* 

Titleist 917 F2 15*

Taylormade RSI TP 3-PW

8 minutes ago, hondarob said:

I am exploring options for new irons but its hard to go away from something that has been good for so many years.  

I can relate, hard to top Dynamic Golds.  Played them for 40 years but as I got older, changing to a lower weighted was necessary for me.  There’s a lot of options out there, steel and graphites with vast weight options.  I’m currently playing Steelfibers, just enjoy the experiment and journey!

Edited by Buzzkill

Handicap:  3

I went to graphite to combat hand, wrist, elbow, back/my entire body falling apart.  It helped immensely.  I was very worried about dispersion and went with steelfiber 110’s.  I really like them but if I had it to do over again I might have gone with the 95’s.  The transition would have been harder (it was very easy with the 110’s and I liked them immediately), but I wouldn’t mind the help with speed (I’m a little shorter hitting than you).  The steelfiber 110’s play fairly stout so that is nice.  I was worried about them feeling whippy.  A lot of people swear by the recoil 95’s as well and I am interested in trying them, even though I think they play a little softer to flex than steelfibers...

I have tried over 7 different graphite models .. steelfiber, UST, Fuji, Aldila, etc etc

Recoil 95 or 110 is my recommendation, you don't need the proto version

• Like 1

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

2 hours ago, hondarob said:

I am looking for suggestions, advice on moving to graphite shafts in my irons.  I currently play DG S300 in my DCI 990's and am ok with the feel, and flight but not dispersion or distance for that matter.  I understand its mostly me when it comes to hitting a good shot.  I want to try out graphite shafts in the hopes of better feeling shots and less banging on my wrist and elbows.  My normal round of golf is between 74 and 86 depending on what type of round I am having.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I went from KBS Tour 130 X to Aerotech Steelfiber i110 S about 7 years ago and it was the best decision I could have made. 

Re-shafting irons is a pretty sizeable investment, it's worth doing it right. The only way to be sure you get it right is to get properly fit. 

Titleist TSi3 w/Oban Kiyoshi White 6X 
Titleist TSi2 15 degree w/Accra TZ6 75 M5

Titleist TSi2 21 degree w/Accra TZ6 75 M5 

Srixon ZX5 4-6 w/KBS TGI 110 (SS 1x) @1/2" over standard

Srixon ZX7 7-PW w/KBS TGI 110 (SS 1x) @1/2" over standard
Titleist Vokey SM8 Raw 50/54/58 KBS TGI 110 (SS 1x) @1/2" over standard
Toulon Las Vegas custom w/BGT Tour 

I'm in the process of doing this myself.  I ran an experiment three years ago, testing a few shafts for a year or so.  I prefer the Dynamic Gold profile, so went with something that is reasonably close (NV105).  

Being able/willing to do one's club work can be helpful.  

I tried Recoil, found them to hit a bit higher than I preferred at the time; I'm a moderately high trajectory player.  My trajectory has come down a bit, I wouldn't be averse to them now.  Didn't try SteelFiber three years ago, but have an i125 in a GW, like it rather well.

Played my NV105 reshafted set for several months three years ago, before my inner club ho had me playing various other sticks.  Heading back towards graphite due to the complaining of my wrists and elbows.  Possibly ironically, it was my wife who suggested I switch now before I have no choice.  

Have a set of RIP Tour 115 to be installed in something, and picked up a set of Recoil Proto 125 for another set.  Just have to get to work.

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

• 5 weeks later...

Recoil for the most part will play at a higher trajectory but with a softer feel. TGI graphite is a good fit for most people. As you see in most of these post guys feel they should of stepped down on weight more than they thought originally. I would recommend going to a fitter and start as low as your comfortable and work back towards your desired/perceived weight. The benefits of starting lower and working up will allow you to pick up carry distance. The transition to lighter weights will wash out with some steady rounds. We’re not getting any younger!

I had elbow issues and I was a project x 6.5 guy. Then I got fit for modus 120x. Loved them but as the elbow continued to hurt I have tried a few graphite. I first tried the steel fiber 110x. Something about them just didn’t work. Hit ball solid but dispersion suffered. Then I went and got fit a club champions and tried all kinds of heads and shaft combos. I ended up with the kbs tgi 110. They were a runaway for consistency and distance was strong. I even put them in my wedges. I have them in my apex MB’s. They are not cheap but worth it. 

Steelfiber will feel a little closer to steel without the harshness.  Recoil are def softer and smoother but gorillas can overpower them.  Both very accurate and awesome when fitted.  

Callaway Paradym  9*  Kai Li White
Callaway Paradym  15*  Kai Li Red

Callaway Paradym  20*  Kai Li Red

Ping G425  22*  Alta CB
Ping G425  26*  Alta CB

Ping G425  30*  Alta CB
Ping G425   7 - SW   KBS C-Taper Lite
Odyssey Tank Marxman
Callaway ERC Soft Yellow

On 10/27/2020 at 10:47 AM, hondarob said:

I hit my irons the same distance as you, and also shoot between 74-82 (I’m a 5.3 hcp). I just built my first set of graphite shafted irons and I’m very optimistic about them. I swapped out my PX 5.5 shafts for Steelfiber i95 stiff shafts. 

I built 3 irons to try them out before pulling my entire set. When comparing PW, 8i and 6i against my backup set with the same lofts, I picked up 3-4mph in club speed and 3-5 yards in total distance. It’s interesting to note that the increase in clubhead speed does not translate in as much distance as you might expect (due to reduction in total club mass [-20grams]). I decided to build out the entire set 1/4” longer than my current shaft lengths due to the swing weight reduction. After adding 2 gram tip weights across the board (mostly), my new set came in at D3 throughout. 

I’m excited for the vibration dampening reduction, potential increase in distance (1/2 club), with no difference in dispersion as far as I can tell after 2 range sessions. 

I’ll have to weigh back in next season when the weather is warm and I can get out for some real golf (in the northeast). 

7C7DC6D1-35DA-4D89-BF88-051514274D3E.jpeg

8127A78C-1160-4E47-BC88-D2D76183A793.jpeg

AB826555-AEAE-4793-94E5-1B1FCA4CC3AC.jpeg

• Like 3

I'm one of the converts from DG300S to a Steelfiber i95s mentioned above.. Like others have said, I had no issue with the transition and was surprised at how the i95's played very similar to the DG300 for me. Our distances are similar (7 iron - 165) and am typically a higher ball flight player. I was concerned the I would not be able to control the trajectory, or keep the ball down, as a lot of graphite shafts seem to elevate flight. No issues for me in either department.

But there are a lot of options out there. It can be difficult to find fitters that have the shafts to hit, but it seems to be improving as graphite becomes more popular. I was lucky as I was able to hit a set that was for sale, which i ended up buying. My perfect set is the Srixon Z745's in the SF i95's. One word of caution on the SFs. The i95s and the i110s are very different, and not just in weight. If you like the i95s, but think you want a heavier shaft, make sure you hit the i110's. 

I've been playing them for a few years now... any new clubs will probably have the i95s as the first option when fitting. I still play a set up irons in the DG300 (travel and winter bag), and have no trouble switching between them.

62 years old, osteoarthritis, worst is in the hands.  Have been Project X 5.5 steel for years.  Usually shoot in the upper 70's to low 80's.  This season (done now due to winter), I switched over to PX graphite 90g shafts.  Had a small learning curve to go thru, just had to slow the tempo down a hair was all.  A nice bonus with that is my accuracy has improved also.  Not shy to try a 2 or 3 iron into a green anymore.  Purposely played several 36 hole days to see how the hands held up.  Cannot begin to state how happy my hands & other body parts are with the switch to graphite.  Have them in 2 thru PW.  Will likely be looking to put them into my 2 wedges before next season gets underway.  Would highly recommend you at least try graphite.  If you do not want to try a fitting at first, many people on this site can give good recommendations on shafts to try.  Then maybe just get one shaft in an iron that you use often to try it & see how it works for you.  Right now.....wish I would have made the move 2-3 years ago.    

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GLF4EVR said:

62 years old, osteoarthritis, worst is in the hands.  Have been Project X 5.5 steel for years.  Usually shoot in the upper 70's to low 80's.  This season (done now due to winter), I switched over to PX graphite 90g shafts.  Had a small learning curve to go thru, just had to slow the tempo down a hair was all.  A nice bonus with that is my accuracy has improved also.  Not shy to try a 2 or 3 iron into a green anymore.  Purposely played several 36 hole days to see how the hands held up.  Cannot begin to state how happy my hands & other body parts are with the switch to graphite.  Have them in 2 thru PW.  Will likely be looking to put them into my 2 wedges before next season gets underway.  Would highly recommend you at least try graphite.  If you do not want to try a fitting at first, many people on this site can give good recommendations on shafts to try.  Then maybe just get one shaft in an iron that you use often to try it & see how it works for you.  Right now.....wish I would have made the move 2-3 years ago.    

I wish I'd stuck with it instead of bouncing around other sets.  The life of the club ho.  LOL

What I found most interesting three years ago was learning just how much playing steel had been affecting me, when I noticed that odd feeling in my elbows / wrists / hands was the absence of irritation.

It's funny what you can get used to.  LOL

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

28 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

I wish I'd stuck with it instead of bouncing around other sets.  The life of the club ho.  LOL

What I found most interesting three years ago was learning just how much playing steel had been affecting me, when I noticed that odd feeling in my elbows / wrists / hands was the absence of irritation.

It's funny what you can get used to.  LOL

One nice thing with age...patience comes with it.  It's either that, or ya just learn to not get into a hurry.  Especially concerning golf & change.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mylesb21 said:

I hit my irons the same distance as you, and also shoot between 74-82 (I’m a 5.3 hcp). I just built my first set of graphite shafted irons and I’m very optimistic about them. I swapped out my PX 5.5 shafts for Steelfiber i95 stiff shafts. 

I built 3 irons to try them out before pulling my entire set. When comparing PW, 8i and 6i against my backup set with the same lofts, I picked up 3-4mph in club speed and 3-5 yards in total distance. It’s interesting to note that the increase in clubhead speed does not translate in as much distance as you might expect (due to reduction in total club mass [-20grams]). I decided to build out the entire set 1/4” longer than my current shaft lengths due to the swing weight reduction. After adding 2 gram tip weights across the board (mostly), my new set came in at D3 throughout. 

I’m excited for the vibration dampening reduction, potential increase in distance (1/2 club), with no difference in dispersion as far as I can tell after 2 range sessions. 

I’ll have to weigh back in next season when the weather is warm and I can get out for some real golf (in the northeast). 

7C7DC6D1-35DA-4D89-BF88-051514274D3E.jpeg

8127A78C-1160-4E47-BC88-D2D76183A793.jpeg

AB826555-AEAE-4793-94E5-1B1FCA4CC3AC.jpeg

Beautiful setup. Too bad they're backwards! lol

PXG 0811 X+ Proto 9.5* 

Titleist 917 F2 15*

Taylormade RSI TP 3-PW

I think in the long run... The sooner the  45+ year old makes the graphite crossover it may impact how long we can play later in life. I learned from a custom club fitter in Houston that was on top of graphite and blended graphite and steel 12 years ago. I can now play multiple days in a row without the wrist, hand and elbow pain I had experienced in the past. When you see senior tour player like Fred Couples, Matt Kuchar playing blended graphite (carbon fiber) it is time to take a hard look. At 61 year old and 4 handicap I don’t hesitate to tell golfers to crossover. Nothing lost but a lot gained. 

I would highly recommend switching over the composite/graphite shafts, especially if you are having hand/wrist problems.  I'm coming off a broken finger and hand from earlier this year and I have tendonitis in my right wrist from decades of exercise.  I made the switch to recoil protos 10 years ago and haven't looked back.  Significantly less vibration and dispersion has never been better.  Graphite/composite shafts do tend to launch higher and spin a bit more and have higher torque so keep that in mind. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

I have played the following graphite or graphite blended shafts:

KBS-TGI in PXG

Carbon Fiber in EPON

Rajin Custom in EPON

Honma Blended in Honma 

Honma shafts are very underrated and very good crossovers. Weights are progressive thru the set. Torques are as well. Excellent shaft option. 

Don’t let old technology information hold you back. They are all very good options for all ages. In 10 years it will be the norm not the exception. 

I would encourage the OP to look into new irons with graphite shafts.  They will ultimately prove out to be the best option going forward for not much more than the cost of a reshaft on your current clubs.

I have bounced around from graphite to steel for a number of years now.  I find that the more I play the worse the post round pain gets when using steel for protracted periods.  I have suffered from tendinitis in my elbows and wrists for years and have arthritis in my low back.

My last switch occurred this past summer going from light weight steel to ultralight graphite.  The transition wasn't without issues, but I was able to adapt over the course of a month or so.  The biggest difference was how I felt after playing.  That was a huge improvement from mid summer to the end of the season.  I even managed to post a couple of my lowest rounds towards the end so my play came around as well.

I dropped a flex as well as about a third in shaft weight.  I play +1/2" so the swing weight worked out pretty similar between the two sets.  It's a bold move, but I would encourage you to be brave in this regard.  Go with something as light and as flexible as would be reasonable for you even if it seems too light and flexible to start with.

Keep in mind that you should probably change your wedges too.  Set wedges are the easy choice to get shafts matching up, but there are other after market options too.

• Like 1

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

On 11/27/2020 at 7:13 PM, Whall8844 said:

I have played the following graphite or graphite blended shafts:

KBS-TGI in PXG

Carbon Fiber in EPON

Rajin Custom in EPON

Honma Blended in Honma 

Honma shafts are very underrated and very good crossovers. Weights are progressive thru the set. Torques are as well. Excellent shaft option. 

Don’t let old technology information hold you back. They are all very good options for all ages. In 10 years it will be the norm not the exception. 

I am 100% ok switching to graphite iron shafts.  My issue is the diversity in shaft options and they are so damn expensive.

PXG 0811 X+ Proto 9.5* 

Titleist 917 F2 15*

Taylormade RSI TP 3-PW

51 minutes ago, hondarob said:

I am 100% ok switching to graphite iron shafts.  My issue is the diversity in shaft options and they are so damn expensive.

I waited to try switching until I found a cheaply priced set of pullouts on eBay. If you are diligent, you’ll find a reasonably priced set out there (eBay or Facebook Marketplace). 

7 hours ago, hondarob said:

True.  However, look at it this way.  Having no or less joint pain is an investment in your health and worth the up charge. 

• Like 2

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

I was in the same situation.. I switched out the shaft on my 6 iron for steel fiber and played for a few months to really put it to the test. Worked great and now getting the rest of my irons switched.  One thing to keep in mind dropping down more than 10 gram in shaft weight could cause issues with your swing. That’s what aerotech rep told me when I called and asked about shaft weights.. ymmv 

On 11/28/2020 at 6:18 AM, scomac2002 said:

I would encourage the OP to look into new irons with graphite shafts.  They will ultimately prove out to be the best option going forward for not much more than the cost of a reshaft on your current clubs.

I have bounced around from graphite to steel for a number of years now.  I find that the more I play the worse the post round pain gets when using steel for protracted periods.  I have suffered from tendinitis in my elbows and wrists for years and have arthritis in my low back.

My last switch occurred this past summer going from light weight steel to ultralight graphite.  The transition wasn't without issues, but I was able to adapt over the course of a month or so.  The biggest difference was how I felt after playing.  That was a huge improvement from mid summer to the end of the season.  I even managed to post a couple of my lowest rounds towards the end so my play came around as well.

I dropped a flex as well as about a third in shaft weight.  I play +1/2" so the swing weight worked out pretty similar between the two sets.  It's a bold move, but I would encourage you to be brave in this regard.  Go with something as light and as flexible as would be reasonable for you even if it seems too light and flexible to start with.

Keep in mind that you should probably change your wedges too.  Set wedges are the easy choice to get shafts matching up, but there are other after market options too.

Thats what I did. I gamed the Dynamic Gold 105 in the stiff with my P790s and bought some Cobra Speedzone irons with the UST Recoil EFX stiff shafts that came stock, just for fun.

Turns out the "fun" turned into gamer irons since the graphites were so, so, ubber feel good. No more tennis elbow even off the mats.

Initially, I kept my wedges in the wedge stiff shafts but I found some Catalyst 100 shafts (100 gm) to finally replace my wedge shafts. Again, the feel department improved and personally, I think this was the root cause of my tennis elbow issues I was starting to get prior to my switch. Now, there is no way in hell I would wedge with an iron shaft.

Edited by SwingBlues
  • Like 1

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Cobra Forged Tec X 5 - PW KBS TGI 85 stiff shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* & Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

I went from Project X 6.0 to Steelfiber i80s 10 years ago.  I had no issues adjusting to the lighter weight.  Picked up one club in distance with my irons with no difference in left/right dispersion.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* Tour Black 2.0 65X

Titleist TSr2+ 13* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSr2 16.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist TSi2 21* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G430 5-UW Steelfiber i80S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i80S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Super Select Squareback 2

Titleist AVX/Bridgestone BRX