Wilson Staff Model Blades - is it me?

Hi All - 

I have played the Apex MB 18s for a couple of years, and have grown to absolutely love them.  The Apex's are my favorite irons i've ever played.  Well, I just got Wilson Staff Model Blades 2-PW, because I hit them well and loved the look, but I cannot get used to the feel.  Is it me?  They feel much more like a cast club than the forged clubs I'm used to.  The Apex MBs are so much softer.  Any thoughts?  Is this known, or am I the only one?

I am now going to move into the Apex MB 2021s.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They have sweet spot closer to the heel I believe. Like a traditional iron.  Might be catching it toeside a hair ?     I’m a fader and until I got the lie right on the mizuno mp20 I felt the sa

Different forgings will feel different so it all depends on preference.   I prefer a firmer iron so I gravitate towards Titleist-style forgings and loved the Staff blade.

You think Wilson Staff Blades feel like cast clubs?!   Its you.

35 minutes ago, Bubbtubbs said:

Different forgings will feel different so it all depends on preference.

I prefer a firmer iron so I gravitate towards Titleist-style forgings and loved the Staff blade.

This is what I was going to say, only the other way around whereas I'm not a fan of newer Titleist forgings (haven't hit last 2 generations), but have and play a few of the older sets (660/690.cb etc).

Edited by gwelfgulfer
  • Like 1

SM 3.5 Bag:

G410 Plus 9* w/ Tensei Orange Pro 6X

TM Sim Ti 14* w/ Kai'Li 80X

Titleist TS3 19* w/ Evenflow EF T1100 6.0

TBD

TBD

Piretti Potenza II 365g 34"

They have sweet spot closer to the heel I believe. Like a traditional iron.  Might be catching it toeside a hair ?  

I’m a fader and until I got the lie right on the mizuno mp20 I felt the same.  Hard as rocks.  Comparing to the blueprint I came from.  But truth is they have sweetspot a hair inside.  So a hair outside is way off. Blueprint is in dead middle. 

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 4

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red 6x 

TM RBZ 14* Addi 8x 

TM Gapr bonded 18* evenflow blue 6.5 

Miura MC-501 3-Pw DG.X7

Artisan 53 59 s400

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

5 hours ago, bladehunter said:

They have sweet spot closer to the heel I believe. Like a traditional iron.  Might be catching it toeside a hair ?  

I’m a fader and until I got the lie right on the mizuno mp20 I felt the same.  Hard as rocks.  Comparing to the blueprint I came from.  But truth is they have sweetspot a hair inside.  So a hair outside is way off. Blueprint is in dead middle. 

This is on point. Blades are not alike in this regard. I hit the BPs well because I drift toeward if I come in steep. With typical blades I really line the ball up on the inside. 

Also, the ‘18 Apex MB takes a back seat to no club. I even had them in too stiff a shaft (PX Rifle 6.5) for me and they still felt great. So pure. Not intimidating either. But I don’t have a feel preference — it is either pleasant or it’s not, it doesn’t have to be the same. I was very smitten with the feel of the BPs too. 

• Like 1

I have the WS blades and fully agree, I tested them against every other blade on the market. I wanted the Apex to be the ones as I much preferred the feel but the Staff's gave me a slighter better flight for my swing.

I will be testing the new Apex blades to see how they perform 

• Like 1

Driver = Taylormade SIM 8* Hzrdus green 6.0

1 iron = Titleist U501 Hzrdus smoke 6.0
3 iron = Titleist U500 Hzrdus smoke 6.0
Irons = Wilson Staff tour blade,  4-PW
Wedges = Titleist 52* SM6

Taylormade 56* and 60* MG2

Putter = Scotty Del Mar

Wilson Staff 8882

Ball = Experimenting at moment

I'm convinced that when they first came out someone on here stated that they were not forged in the traditional sense but were actually cast first and then finished off with a forging, a bit like the old TaylorMade Coin Forged.

This would explain any perceived harshness it would also explain their durability. I had mine for 6 months, playing at least three times a week. When I sold them last week they still looked like new with barely a mark on them.

As for feel I replaced Mizuno MP4 with these so I think it is safe to say that they was always going to be a slight difference. However I have replaced these with Srixon Z785 and the difference is quite significant.

Not withstanding any of that the Staff Model are a beautiful club, very high flight, surprising long and surprisingly forgiving.  

Srixon Z785 9.5 Hzrdus stiff

Srixon Z H85 16* Hzrdus stiff

Ping Karsten 22* Hybrid

Srixon Z U85 4i Recoil stiff

Srixon Z785 5-PW Modus 3 120 stiff
Srixon Z765 51* Modus stiff
Srixon Z765 57* Modus stiff
Cleveland RTX 3 62* TTDG
Nike Method Midnight 006

On 10/27/2020 at 12:12 PM, CallawayBeez said:

Hi All - 

I have played the Apex MB 18s for a couple of years, and have grown to absolutely love them.  The Apex's are my favorite irons i've ever played.  Well, I just got Wilson Staff Model Blades 2-PW, because I hit them well and loved the look, but I cannot get used to the feel.  Is it me?  They feel much more like a cast club than the forged clubs I'm used to.  The Apex MBs are so much softer.  Any thoughts?  Is this known, or am I the only one?

You think Wilson Staff Blades feel like cast clubs?!

Its you.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Wilson Triton 10.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 3.3-60s

Taylormade SIM Max D 16* Aldila Tour Green 75x

Bridgestone j40 3-LW x100

Scotty Cameron Big Sur 2

I'm surprised to read some of this. I've hit WS Blades twice, neither times with a shaft I like, and they still felt absolutely amazing. That's compared against my MP32 and MP60 set at the time. Not trying to tell anybody how to feel, but I thought they were shockingly long and easy to hit. It's probably how I got lulled into making a mistake on Rose Protos, thinking I wanted blades. 

59 minutes ago, CallawayBeez said:

Absolutely more than any other blade i've hit.  But it's probably because they aren't 1020.

Sorry, I've played cast ss blades. Wilsons feel nothing like them. 

Titleist TS2
Titleist 917 F2 3 wood
Ping Anser 20,
Wilson V6's  3-GW
Ping Glide
58*ES

Bettinardi Queen B 6

They feel powerful but when you’re hitting down on them and delivering the right amount of loft, they’re very satisfying to hit and in no way hard. I had them with X stiff C tapers and they were still butter. The sweet spot isn’t super heel but it’s a bit higher in the head so you have to really be compressing it to get good feel.

To be honest, I think the incessant “NoThiNG fEeLs LiKE a MiZuNO” on YouTube videos from every hacker around comes from the fact that aside from being great forgings, Mizuno blades *mostly* have the CG very low in the head so you don’t need to really deloft and hit down on it to get that feel out of it. Basically, you can have a horrible move and a Mizuno will feel good. Not saying OP can’t swing well or was thinning them etc but you really do have to take the loft off and hit down on the Wilson for it to feel amazing IMO. 

• Like 1

Taylormade Sim 9* Ventus Velo Blue 7x 

Taylormade Sim Max 3W Aldila Rogue 110MSI 70x

Taylormade Sim Max 5W Ventus Velo Blue 7x

Taylormade P7MC 4-PW Dynamic Gold X100

Taylormade MG2 51* SB Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Taylormade MG2 TW 56* + 60* Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Byron Morgan DH89 34.75/70*/2*

Titleist Pro -V1x  or Bridgestone Tour BXS

Ping Hoofer

9 minutes ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

They feel powerful but when you’re hitting down on them and delivering the right amount of loft, they’re very satisfying to hit and in no way hard. I had them with X stiff C tapers and they were still butter. The sweet spot isn’t super heel but it’s a bit higher in the head so you have to really be compressing it to get good feel.

To be honest, I think the incessant “NoThiNG fEeLs LiKE a MiZuNO” on YouTube videos from every hacker around comes from the fact that aside from being great forgings, Mizuno blades *mostly* have the CG very low in the head so you don’t need to really deloft and hit down on it to get that feel out of it. Basically, you can have a horrible move and a Mizuno will feel good. Not saying OP can’t swing well or was thinning them etc but you really do have to take the loft off and hit down on the Wilson for it to feel amazing IMO. 

You're exactly right. I'm trying to be nice but I've never heard anyone say the Wilson blades feel hard if you're hitting the sweet spot. Solid and powerful are good terms. The ball speed off the Wilsons made me choose them over the Mizuno MP20's when I got fitted last year.

Titleist TS2
Titleist 917 F2 3 wood
Ping Anser 20,
Wilson V6's  3-GW
Ping Glide
58*ES

Bettinardi Queen B 6

49 minutes ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

...Mizuno blades *mostly* have the CG very low in the head so you don’t need to really deloft and hit down on it to get that feel out of it. 

That was true with the MP-14 and MP-33, and the MP-32 were mid or low-mid, but I wouldn't say that's true since those.  The MP-18 was actually above the centerline of the ball, and many of their blade models have been approaching .800".  

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 10*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Matrix 8m3 X, 42"
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, NV105 S or DGS400

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft pending); 1-PW Golden Ram TW282 or Vibration Matched Golden Rams, RIP Tour 115 R (coin flipping for the reshaft project); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, DGS400; Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Ram Watson Scoring System 55*, DGX 7i shaft; Ram TG-898, DGS400; Ram TG-898, NV105 S; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS300; Ram 1982 Commemorative Nickel 58*, Dynamic S; Ram TW282, DGS; Ram TW276, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 58*, Dynamic S; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, DGS400; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, NV105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional or TaylorMade TP5

On 10/27/2020 at 12:12 PM, CallawayBeez said:

Hi All - 

When feel is discussed, I remember a story that Chisag has shared a couple times....

He had a discussion with another guy on the range, one of them hitting Mizunos, the other hitting Hogans (if memory serves).  The Mizuno user thought that Hogans felt hard, while the Mizunos were perfect.  The Hogan user thought the Hogans were perfect, and the Mizunos felt muffled and indistinct.

I think that captures it fairly well.

• Like 2

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft pending); 1-PW Golden Ram TW282 or Vibration Matched Golden Rams, RIP Tour 115 R (coin flipping for the reshaft project); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, DGS400; Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Ram Watson Scoring System 55*, DGX 7i shaft; Ram TG-898, DGS400; Ram TG-898, NV105 S; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS300; Ram 1982 Commemorative Nickel 58*, Dynamic S; Ram TW282, DGS; Ram TW276, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 58*, Dynamic S; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, DGS400; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, NV105 S

59 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

That was true with the MP-14 and MP-33, and the MP-32 were mid or low-mid, but I wouldn't say that's true since those.  The MP-18 was actually above the centerline of the ball, and many of their blade models have been approaching .800".  

And guess which model is universally liked a little bit less by the masses? - the MP18. The MP4, 5, and 20 are all .773 or lower while the Wilson is up at .861. 

Taylormade Sim 9* Ventus Velo Blue 7x 

Taylormade Sim Max 3W Aldila Rogue 110MSI 70x

Taylormade Sim Max 5W Ventus Velo Blue 7x

Taylormade P7MC 4-PW Dynamic Gold X100

Taylormade MG2 51* SB Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Taylormade MG2 TW 56* + 60* Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Byron Morgan DH89 34.75/70*/2*

Titleist Pro -V1x  or Bridgestone Tour BXS

Ping Hoofer

2 hours ago, braincramp52 said:

You're exactly right. I'm trying to be nice but I've never heard anyone say the Wilson blades feel hard if you're hitting the sweet spot. Solid and powerful are good terms. The ball speed off the Wilsons made me choose them over the Mizuno MP20's when I got fitted last year.

The ball speeds are really good with the Wilsons for me too. Accounting for loft, I am actually getting the fastest ball speeds I ever have with them.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

And guess which model is universally liked a little bit less by the masses? - the MP18. The MP4, 5, and 20 are all .773 or lower while the Wilson is up at .861. 

I'd noticed that about the new Staff Blades    🙂