Have distance irons harmed your golf game?

Last summer I finally bit the bullet and bought new irons. I had been consistently shooting in Mid-80’s and decided to reward my hard work. My low score last spring was an 82. I figured now that I had consistency down, adding distance was the piece of my game that was missing. 

I was fit for a set T300’s with Project X LZ 120’s in 6.0 - I gained a considerable amount of distance, and can consistently hit draws and a baby cut. During my fitting I tried the Mavricks, JPX 919, and G410 - the T300’s were the most consistent on the monitor (indoor fitting - first mistake) so I pulled the trigger. I didn’t think I was good enough to try the T200’s or T100’s so I didn’t bother. 

The question I’m posing is: has anyone else seen their scores go up and GIR go down when switching to distance irons? In my old set of Callaways my 7 iron was consistently 150-155 yards. With the T300’s my 7 iron flys anywhere from 150-185, with the rest of my set having outrageous distance disparity, making my approach shots a total crap shoot. If you strike the ball even a centimeter away from the sweetspot it goes 150, in the sweet spot, the ball literally explodes off the face and goes 185. I have a relatively moderate tempo and prefer heavier, tip and butt stiff shafts so I don’t think my shafts are the issue. My reward for shooting in the 80’s bought me rounds in the mid 90’s 😞 

Had anyone else had this problem or made the switch back to normal, or even players irons after trying a distance iron? 

Is there a greater chance that this is a swing mechanics issue and not a club issue....are their techniques to finding consistency with “hot” irons? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My first thought 

The threads here just become these outlandish caricatures of real life events, it has always been like this , not saying it's a new thing.    Obviously there are differences between distance

Gee, I wonder where this thread is heading.

Posted Images

I played approximately 50 rounds of golf with a set of Ping G700 irons. The clubs produced tremendous distance and it was fun to swing a 9 or 8 iron instead of a 7-iron. However, I sold the G700's because the shots did not have reliable carry distance control. I went back to using my previous iron set, Mizuno MP 63, and my iron shot carry distance control returned.

KZG SP700 driver

Srixon F65 3-wood

Srixon H65 3, 4 hybrids

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

Not gonna join the snarky replies, instead I’m really curious.

With your Callaways, did you have less front to back dispersion throughout the set?

Have you gotten used to the new sticks to know their tendencies when thinning or toeing shots?

Is this happening from fairway lies or mostly out of the rough, i.e. potential flyer lies?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, PJF7789 said:

The question I’m posing is: has anyone else seen their scores go up and GIR go down when switching to distance irons?

Yes. 80% of the time my miss of the green was long. sometimes as much as 20 yards of carry too long. I played the set of distance irons (G700)for about a year could never be sure how far the irons shots were going to carry, I tried expecting the extra distance and started clubbing down to play for the extra distance, but the super extra carry yardage was not consistent. About half the shots would carry what I expecting and the other half went extra long, anywhere from a yard or two to as much as twenty yards too long.

The bottom line on distance irons is that they do what they were designed to do , which is produce extra distance.

• Like 1

KZG SP700 driver

Srixon F65 3-wood

Srixon H65 3, 4 hybrids

1 hour ago, Fairway14 said:

I played approximately 50 rounds of golf with a set of Ping G700 irons. The clubs produced tremendous distance and it was fun to swing a 9 or 8 iron instead of a 7-iron. However, I sold the G700's because the shots did not have reliable carry distance control. I went back to using my previous iron set, Mizuno MP 63, and my iron shot carry distance control returned.

Thanks for this! I've felt a little crazy for thinking I want to go back to my old irons after dropping $1100 w/ tax on a new set....

41 minutes ago, LukeDonaldsTiger said:

Not gonna join the snarky replies, instead I’m really curious.

With your Callaways, did you have less front to back dispersion throughout the set?

Have you gotten used to the new sticks to know their tendencies when thinning or toeing shots?

Is this happening from fairway lies or mostly out of the rough, i.e. potential flyer lies?

1. Much less front to back dispersion with my callys - my miss is a fade about 15 yards offline. For the most part, I had decent 10-15 yard gapings from 4-PW. 

2. I've played about 20 rounds with the T300's and I guess I'm used to them? I'm consistently clubbing up out of fear I have another explosion off the face. One of the hardest things to get used to was learning to chip and pitch with my 52 vokey. In my old set, I played 70% of my 50 yard and in shots with my 45* Pitching Wedge, reserving my 52 for full shots and 58 for sand/occasional lob shot. The face on my T300 PW is super hot, and even with a quarter swing explodes off the ball. 

3. I don't think this is unique to just "hot" clubs, but out of rough I lose a lot of distance. Firm conditions the ball rockets, soft conditions is a crapshoot of rocket shots and normal shots. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
26 minutes ago, Fairway14 said:

Yes. 80% of the time my miss of the green was long. sometimes as much as 20 yards of carry too long. I played the set of distance irons (G700)for about a year could never be sure how far the irons shots were going to carry, I tried expecting the extra distance and started clubbing down to play for the extra distance, but the super extra carry yardage was not consistent. About half the shots would carry what I expecting and the other half went extra long, anywhere from a yard or two to as much as twenty yards too long.

The bottom line on distance irons is that they do what they were designed to do , which is produce extra distance.

This is the exact issue I'm having. At my club, the tee box for the 9th hole is about 40 yards directly behind the 4th green, separated by a small hut with restrooms and an icemaker.  I was 165 out last Friday, hit a soft six iron and landed directly on the 9th tee box....with people standing on it waiting to tee off. 

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, PJF7789 said:

Thanks for this! I've felt a little crazy for thinking I want to go back to my old irons after dropping $1100 w/ tax on a new set....

If someone has consistent carry distance control with their current iron set they should probably stick with that set. Yes, it is fun to swing a 9 or 8 iron instead of a 7-iron but for 18 hole scoring the player is probably better off with a set he/she hits shorter yardages per club but consistently reliable distances.

I don't think there is an iron model (designed for distance) that also produces consistent carry yardages.

• Like 1

KZG SP700 driver

Srixon F65 3-wood

Srixon H65 3, 4 hybrids

2 hours ago, PJF7789 said:

Last summer I finally bit the bullet and bought new irons. I had been consistently shooting in Mid-80’s and decided to reward my hard work. My low score last spring was an 82. I figured now that I had consistency down, adding distance was the piece of my game that was missing. 

I was fit for a set T300’s with Project X LZ 120’s in 6.0 - I gained a considerable amount of distance, and can consistently hit draws and a baby cut. During my fitting I tried the Mavricks, JPX 919, and G410 - the T300’s were the most consistent on the monitor (indoor fitting - first mistake) so I pulled the trigger. I didn’t think I was good enough to try the T200’s or T100’s so I didn’t bother. 

The question I’m posing is: has anyone else seen their scores go up and GIR go down when switching to distance irons? In my old set of Callaways my 7 iron was consistently 150-155 yards. With the T300’s my 7 iron flys anywhere from 150-185, with the rest of my set having outrageous distance disparity, making my approach shots a total crap shoot. If you strike the ball even a centimeter away from the sweetspot it goes 150, in the sweet spot, the ball literally explodes off the face and goes 185. I have a relatively moderate tempo and prefer heavier, tip and butt stiff shafts so I don’t think my shafts are the issue. My reward for shooting in the 80’s bought me rounds in the mid 90’s 😞 

Had anyone else had this problem or made the switch back to normal, or even players irons after trying a distance iron? 

Is there a greater chance that this is a swing mechanics issue and not a club issue....are their techniques to finding consistency with “hot” irons? 

I'm a high h.c. but I've always played blades or small cb since I started in 1995 until I recently tried some midsize cb's(Pinhawks) and started out well enough but then started to hit them all over the face for some reason. I went back to my small blades and am happy, if I miss it out on the toe I just end up in front of the green which isn't too bad.

• Confused 1

Macgregor M-38 9.5, Mondeo 5w, Heater F-35 4h, Acer XV Tour 6i-9i, G, S, Maltby LW, Bionik 105

1 minute ago, Fairway14 said:

If someone has consistent carry distance control with their current iron set they should probably stick with that set. Yes, it is fun to swing a 9 or 8 iron instead of a 7-iron but for 18 hole scoring the player is probably better off with a set he/she hits shorter yardages per club but consistently reliable distances.

I don't think there is an iron model (designed for distance) that also produces consistent carry yardages.

The set was 10 years old....

12 minutes ago, Krt22 said:

Yep, time for blades. 160 on a pure one and 130 on a thin one here we come! 

The OP did not mention anything about "blades".

I believe the OP was about the irons specifically designed for extra distance. Most manufacturers offer iron designs-models in between "distance irons" and "blades". Ping for example has the G710 (extreme distance) and Blueprint (blade). In between Ping offers the i210 model, which is neither a distance iron or a blade.

Edited by Fairway14
  • Like 1

KZG SP700 driver

Srixon F65 3-wood

Srixon H65 3, 4 hybrids

Just now, Fairway14 said:

The OP did not mention anything about "blades".

I believe the OP was about the irons specifically designed for extra distance. Most manufacturers offer iron designs-models in between "distance irons" and "blades". Ping for example has the G710 (extreme distance) and Blueprint (balde). In between Ping offers the i210 model, which is neither a distance iron or a blade.

Thank you for the insight on Ping's product offerings 

• Haha 1

I think distances irons(TM M-6) have hurt my nephews game. He is scratch at times and won his local course championship but he likes to point out he hits his stock 8 iron 200 yards and his driver s.s. is only 115 on average. I don't think he has his short iron distances covered well and besides that I know he is taking a full swing with the 8 when in my opinion the better players only take full swings with the longer irons and above generally. Also, his Dad is new to the game and when we talk he is concerned about distance even though we are both over 50 to the point that I sent him a thread from the forum of a member placing second in a local tournament with a 60 something and hitting his 7 iron 155-160. I keep on telling him the only clubs that distance makes any real difference is the driver or a fairway wood while the irons are just to cover the yardages consistently up to 200 or whatever.

Edited by chipa

Macgregor M-38 9.5, Mondeo 5w, Heater F-35 4h, Acer XV Tour 6i-9i, G, S, Maltby LW, Bionik 105

47 minutes ago, Nessism said:

You lost me right here...

I’d venture a guess at 150 being a mishit and 185 being the dreaded no spin flyer bomb.    

• Like 1

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red 6x 

TM RBZ 14* Addi 8x 

TM Gapr bonded 21* evenflow blue 6.5 

Miura MC-501 4-Pw DG.X7

Miura 51 55 59 s400

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

What model were your old Callaways?

My Dad has just bought the T300s but doesn't have them yet. He is a super smooth player with moderate swing speed and they came out best for him during a Titleist fitting. Interesting issue. I just thought 'Distance Irons' meant new clubs are 4° stronger than my old ones so I'll be hitting a 7 iron where I used to hit a 6 iron. Didn't realise you could get all these inconsistencies in distance control? 

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Taylormade R7TP 5-PW irons
Cleveland RTX 2 50°/10°, 54°/12, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter