2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Have distance irons harmed your golf game?

PJF7789

4 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Right.  But. A decent amount of swing speed plus the low spin flyer will.  It exists.  It’s not even debatable.  It’s not a “ hotspot “ it’s when you catch one a good bit higher on the face that the Vcog but middle.   Or... get some grass between the face and ball on that same higher spot.  It launches like a tees up driver and barely spins.  

Agreed, but fliers can happen with any iron.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Right.  But. A decent amount of swing speed plus the low spin flyer will.  It exists.  It’s not even debatable.  It’s not a “ hotspot “ it’s when you catch one a good bit higher on the face that the Vcog but middle.   Or... get some grass between the face and ball on that same higher spot.  It launches like a tees up driver and barely spins.  

None of which is a factor in the OP's first post and to which I responded. His only claim was that the 30yds were the result of hitting on the sweetspot and the ball "explodes off the clubface" to missing by "even a centimetre" and he lost 30yds.

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

None of which is a factor in the OP's first post and to which I responded. His only claim was that the 30yds were the result of hitting on the sweetspot and the ball "explodes off the clubface" to missing by "even a centimetre" and he lost 30yds.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

5 minutes ago, Bad9 said:

Yep. I suppose on that vein. Sure. But I read it to most likely mean exactly what I’m saying.  The difference in strike  from low spin bomb to regular feeling and flying shot on these is a tiny amount .     

I have no reason at all to make that up.   I’m not against those irons. I played them a whole  winter and talked about them in a good light.  But .... the erratic distances are a real thing.  I could manage.  But still it’s real.  

Edited by bladehunter

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

9 minutes ago, Krt22 said:

Agreed, but fliers can happen with any iron.

Yes. But the flier  that happens with most is a low center strike with grass between ball and club.  I saw some of that too. But the others were just knuckle balls from anywhere.   Random.  

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

4 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Yes. But the flier  that happens with most is a low center strike with grass between ball and club.  I saw some of that too. But the others were just knuckle balls from anywhere.   Random.  

But at the end of the day, a flier doesn't go 35 yards further. Flightscopes optimizer says 12yrds of carry on a 7i (assuming PGA tour avg ball speed of 120), when you drop from 7k to 4k in spin. I am a 120 ball speed guy with 7i, play a variety of irons at the same exact loft (32*, J15CBs, MP20MMC, P790s) and I don't get the jumper that goes from 170 carry to 200. Even out of the perfect flier lie (sitting up in fluffy bermuda), its at most a 185 carry. 

21 hours ago, PJF7789 said:

Last summer I finally bit the bullet and bought new irons. I had been consistently shooting in Mid-80’s and decided to reward my hard work. My low score last spring was an 82. I figured now that I had consistency down, adding distance was the piece of my game that was missing. 

I was fit for a set T300’s with Project X LZ 120’s in 6.0 - I gained a considerable amount of distance, and can consistently hit draws and a baby cut. During my fitting I tried the Mavricks, JPX 919, and G410 - the T300’s were the most consistent on the monitor (indoor fitting - first mistake) so I pulled the trigger. I didn’t think I was good enough to try the T200’s or T100’s so I didn’t bother. 

The question I’m posing is: has anyone else seen their scores go up and GIR go down when switching to distance irons? In my old set of Callaways my 7 iron was consistently 150-155 yards. With the T300’s my 7 iron flys anywhere from 150-185, with the rest of my set having outrageous distance disparity, making my approach shots a total crap shoot. If you strike the ball even a centimeter away from the sweetspot it goes 150, in the sweet spot, the ball literally explodes off the face and goes 185. I have a relatively moderate tempo and prefer heavier, tip and butt stiff shafts so I don’t think my shafts are the issue. My reward for shooting in the 80’s bought me rounds in the mid 90’s 😞 

Had anyone else had this problem or made the switch back to normal, or even players irons after trying a distance iron? 

Is there a greater chance that this is a swing mechanics issue and not a club issue....are their techniques to finding consistency with “hot” irons? 

Here you go. Watch this...

• Like 1

Not to threadjack but ...

I play older, weaker lofted irons that are 24° , 27° and 31° in the 4-6 irons.

I'm considering updating to a more modern iron and the above lofts will be the 5-7 iron. Are you guys telling me that the 27° modern 6 iron will spin less than my old 27° 5 iron? 

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

21 hours ago, PJF7789 said:

Last summer I finally bit the bullet and bought new irons. I had been consistently shooting in Mid-80’s and decided to reward my hard work. My low score last spring was an 82. I figured now that I had consistency down, adding distance was the piece of my game that was missing. 

I was fit for a set T300’s with Project X LZ 120’s in 6.0 - I gained a considerable amount of distance, and can consistently hit draws and a baby cut. During my fitting I tried the Mavricks, JPX 919, and G410 - the T300’s were the most consistent on the monitor (indoor fitting - first mistake) so I pulled the trigger. I didn’t think I was good enough to try the T200’s or T100’s so I didn’t bother. 

The question I’m posing is: has anyone else seen their scores go up and GIR go down when switching to distance irons? In my old set of Callaways my 7 iron was consistently 150-155 yards. With the T300’s my 7 iron flys anywhere from 150-185, with the rest of my set having outrageous distance disparity, making my approach shots a total crap shoot. If you strike the ball even a centimeter away from the sweetspot it goes 150, in the sweet spot, the ball literally explodes off the face and goes 185. I have a relatively moderate tempo and prefer heavier, tip and butt stiff shafts so I don’t think my shafts are the issue. My reward for shooting in the 80’s bought me rounds in the mid 90’s 😞 

Had anyone else had this problem or made the switch back to normal, or even players irons after trying a distance iron? 

Is there a greater chance that this is a swing mechanics issue and not a club issue....are their techniques to finding consistency with “hot” irons? 

i did the opposite. was shooting in the 90's. switched to more demanding irons and was so scared that I was going to get so much worse, but actually started hitting greens. the clubs went the same number nearly everytime. felt like a mishit only took off a few yards. and flushing it only made it go a bit higher, but the same number. Much better than thinking you hit a perfect shot to see it go over the green by 15 yards, 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

1 hour ago, Krt22 said:

But at the end of the day, a flier doesn't go 35 yards further. Flightscopes optimizer says 12yrds of carry on a 7i (assuming PGA tour avg ball speed of 120), when you drop from 7k to 4k in spin. I am a 120 ball speed guy with 7i, play a variety of irons at the same exact loft (32*, J15CBs, MP20MMC, P790s) and I don't get the jumper that goes from 170 carry to 200. Even out of the perfect flier lie (sitting up in fluffy bermuda), its at most a 185 carry. 

And that could easily be correct if you factor in a back pin and blowing it over the green the stated 15 yards plus roll.  Hyperbole can easily take that 15 plus and make it more.  

I specifically said 4 iron though.   What does it say about a low spin high launch long iron?   The ones I’ve seen come out higher than normal and just go. 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

34 minutes ago, kiwihacker said:

I'm considering updating to a more modern iron and the above lofts will be the 5-7 iron. Are you guys telling me that the 27° modern 6 iron will spin less than my old 27° 5 iron? 

A flexible face one can.  Not will as in absolutely.  But it can. 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Lol. I’m out guys. Not sure why I stopped.  The outcome was predetermined.
It’s clear That  everyone here just makes it all up. We haven’t seen what we saw.  And in no way can a distance iron not be best for all !!!   I mean we preach fitting , and now are ruffled when someone suggests the best fit for them isn’t the latest and greatest , or the most forgiving techy tech tech thing.  ( smh). Surely if one thing can be a bad fit for some. The opposite can be a bad fit for others ? And therefore be detrimental to their game.  

And heck top ams and pros are picking up p790 and i500 in droves because of their distance control.  👎( sarcasm ). Peace. 

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

39 minutes ago, kiwihacker said:

They can based on the CG location. The other thing is the shaft length, assuming a 27* iron at 37" vs a 27* iron at 37.5", the shorter iron should have less CHS and thus less spin

And that could easily be correct if you factor in a back pin and blowing it over the green the stated 15 yards plus roll.  Hyperbole can easily take that 15 plus and make it more.  

I specifically said 4 iron though.   What does it say about a low spin high launch long iron?   The ones I’ve seen come out higher than normal and just go. 

Well the OP was talking about his 7i, so I used those numbers I did it for a 4i, 137 ball speed, 11* launch, 4500rpm-204 carry. 137 ball speed, 14* launch, 2750rpm, 216 carry.  Plenty of pros play a P790 or something similar in the 3/4i slot, so obviously not a huge issue for them. The 35yards the OP claims is  almost 3 clubs different, simply not happening due to spin and/or a super hot spot on the face. I think the OP is misjudging the quality of the strike on the ones that really come up short or hyperbole like you said.

• Like 1

Can someone recommend a softer high spin ball that can be used to offset the lower spin GI distance Irons?

They are for my my brother who is playing Cobra SL irons and it is getting cold where he lives so I think the softer ball will definitely help the feel. TIA

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

16 hours ago, Clifford said:

I somewhat disagree. I sold my P790s because of that reason. My 7 iron would go 160-170, depends on how solid it was hit but every once in a while it would go 185  over the green into the trees or in the water.  Love the clubs but hated the extra 10-15 yards out of the blue.  I only have a 100-103 mph driver swingspeed, so a 185 yard 7 iron should be impossible.

my buddy who's either a 1 or 2 index plays P790s and doesn't have any problems with distance control.  I've got other friends who are playing irons like Rogues, T200s, etc that aren't getting the crazy flyers being discussed here.  I haven't noticed it at all with my T200s either.  

Ping G400 max
Ping G410 5 wood
Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

Titleist T350 irons
54* & 58* Sub70 JB Wedges
PXG Operator H w/ BGT stability tour shaft or  SIK FLO C with LAGP shaft

51 minutes ago, Krt22 said:

They can based on the CG location. The other thing is the shaft length, assuming a 27* iron at 37" vs a 27* iron at 37.5", the shorter iron should have less CHS and thus less spin

Well the OP was talking about his 7i, so I used those numbers I did it for a 4i, 137 ball speed, 11* launch, 4500rpm-204 carry. 137 ball speed, 14* launch, 2750rpm, 216 carry.  Plenty of pros play a P790 or something similar in the 3/4i slot, so obviously not a huge issue for them. The 35yards the OP claims is  almost 3 clubs different, simply not happening due to spin and/or a super hot spot on the face. I think the OP is misjudging the quality of the strike on the ones that really come up short or hyperbole like you said.

If you look at my earlier post here ( maybe first one ). I said “ mishit vs low spin high bomb.  So we agree 100 %.  

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Not sure how distance irons really affect you unless you dont know how far you hit your clubs. I remember playing the P790's when they came out and for me it was an adjustment of clubbing down club since the lofts were stronger. That was pretty much it for me. When I circled back to the Mizuno irons I play now, Im about a half club short and so I made the adjustment accordingly. Like I stated before, getting fitted for the right combo of lie, loft, length and specially shaft combo and adding to that, knowing your true yardage for clubs. Not 1 out of every 8 shots that you suddenly hit it 185 instead of 160. 

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

8 hours ago, bladehunter said:

8 hours ago, bladehunter said:

Make up my mind, will ya ? :classic_tongue:

Agree that on high, or even center strikes out of the rough with grass between ball and club face can cause fliers.

But how would a low strike do the same then ?

The lower on the face one strikes the ball the lower it launches it and the more it will spin. So a low strike with grass in between will spin a BIT less than it would without the grass but certainly won't spin or fly high enough to be a "flier".

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

8 hours ago, scooterhd2 said:

i did the opposite. was shooting in the 90's. switched to more demanding irons and was so scared that I was going to get so much worse, but actually started hitting greens. the clubs went the same number nearly everytime. felt like a mishit only took off a few yards. and flushing it only made it go a bit higher, but the same number. Much better than thinking you hit a perfect shot to see it go over the green by 15 yards, 

If you don’t mind me asking, what did you switch over to when you say more “demanding”? 

I tried a preowned set of MP53’s last year and never felt I’d be able to look down and feel confident. Do your new “demanding” irons offer any help? Or did you switch to a a full MB? 

I ask because I’m thinking I want test a set of t100’s, i210’s, or Apex’s and give up on the T300s - which is very out of character for me considering I played my last irons for 10 years and still carry a 2008 Callaway X Hybrid because I’ve yet to find anything that can knock it out of my bag....

Edited by PJF7789

TS2 10.5 w/ Smoke Black 60  6.0 

GBB Epic 15 w/ HZRDUS 65 T800 6.0 

Mavrik 18 w/ Riptide 70 6.0 

816 H1 22 w/ Proforce 100 Stiff 

T300 w/ Project X LZ 6.0 5-GW 

SM4 52-8, 58-8 

Odyssey Black #2 

Again not wanting to threadjack this topic but what is a 'distance iron' by definition? I mean all irons barring the very best players cavity backs and blades are about a club stronger lofted today than they were 10 or 15 years ago. There are some extreme examples like the T400 or the Mavrick irons that are two clubs stronger than 'traditional' lofts. I thought that was what a distance iron was. The T300s are about average lofts for a modern GI iron aren't they? 

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

Yes.

I love the performance and forgiveness of my P790 but they also frustrate the hell out of me sometimes.  I have flown too many greens now to count and then come up short on other holes because of a fear of going too long.

This is my take. 

I have my own GC2 with HMT and have witnessed almost identical swings and impact/ball positions show faster ball speeds with similar spin rates.  It is NOT ALWAYS the result of low spin balls that creates the fliers.  I suspect the faces are inconsistent. I have also seen countless videos of good players demonstrating distance dispersion issues with hollow, spring faced clubs regardless of the brand.  Matt at PXG has shown this time and time again.  Another pro actually his 10 shots with a P790 and demonstrated a flyer out of a series of hits.  However, I don't want to single out this club as I am convinced they all suffer from it to some degree.

Players I know personally that use such irons without issues have sub 80mph 7i swing speeds.  I expect that the higher the swing speed to more inconsistent the face becomes.

If there are high swing speed players out there can can honestly attest to not having distance issues then there must be a quality control issue with these type of clubs.  Interestingly you seldom find elite players using them accept maybe for the long irons.

I am now in the market for (reasonably) forgiving low-tech, non-distance clubs.  I have my eyes on the Ping I210

• Like 2

10 hours ago, nsxguy said:

Make up my mind, will ya ? :classic_tongue:

Agree that on high, or even center strikes out of the rough with grass between ball and club face can cause fliers.

But how would a low strike do the same then ?

The lower on the face one strikes the ball the lower it launches it and the more it will spin. So a low strike with grass in between will spin a BIT less than it would without the grass but certainly won't spin or fly high enough to be a "flier".

Low meaning perfect.  I should  have clarified.  I’m saying an otherwise perfect strike with a normal iron plus the grass in between equal fliers normally. 

Edited by bladehunter
  • Thanks 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

8 hours ago, kiwihacker said:

Again not wanting to threadjack this topic but what is a 'distance iron' by definition? 

Hollow head.

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

On 10/28/2020 at 2:40 PM, xmanhockey7 said:

Here you go. Watch this...

This is an excellent test and similar to what I've seen over the years as an iron HO.  I've played everything from Hot Metal's to P7TW's (I've owned/played over 20 iron sets the past 3 years).  I currently play iblades (power spec'd) and think they just fit my game the best. My accuracy and distance control on par 3's are where they shine for me.  To OP, sounds/looks like those distance irons are not a good fit for your game, but they are for some.  I highly recommend looking into a smaller cavity back iron with moderate lofts (32* 7i).

ETA:  I'd personally look at a set of MMC20's, Z785's, 919 forged, and, even iblades (in power spec'd lofts).  

Edited by JDMRN81
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Fairway14 said:

Hollow head.

Oh cmon be nice to him, he was just asking a question

• Haha 2

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

19 hours ago, chipa said:

Can someone recommend a softer high spin ball that can be used to offset the lower spin GI distance Irons?

They are for my my brother who is playing Cobra SL irons and it is getting cold where he lives so I think the softer ball will definitely help the feel. TIA

Bridgestone BXS

• Like 1