Have distance irons harmed your golf game?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My first thought 

The threads here just become these outlandish caricatures of real life events, it has always been like this , not saying it's a new thing.    Obviously there are differences between distance

Gee, I wonder where this thread is heading.

Posted Images

6 hours ago, AndersUK said:

I am now in the market for (reasonably) forgiving low-tech, non-distance clubs.  I have my eyes on the Ping I210

If Chip Usher is still blowing out the PP9003SN Miuras they would be right up your alley. 

• Like 2

RomaRo 435LX 10*-Quadra FEX 65SX 

PRGR Egg HD 14.5*-Fubuki 75S 3W
PRGR EGG 20* - M-43S 7 wood

RomaRo iBrid 2 22* - Crazy Hybrid 

Miura PP9003SN 5-G - Modus 125S 

Miura HB12 @ 55* - Modus 125 W

2015 PM Grind 60* - KBS Tour V

Axis1 Rose - Garsen Quad Tour grip

You and me play very similar score wise in golf. Ive had both game improvment irons and now whats considered i think players irons mizuno mp mmc20 and i havent noticed a differnce myself no more then 5 to 10 yards on miss hits. I also havent had trouble on approach shots with either irons as far as fron to back dispersion. I think approach shot needs to be very touchy and delicate most of the time. It also sounds like you might have too high a swing speed possibly for the t300?The t300 are gi irons bordering sgi in my opinion as i played them as a demo set on a trip. They do what they are ment to and that just might be giving you the often super strike over the green. I know this is a thing because i have a friend who plays in the 70s and hasnt been fit or fell on the correct irons. He continuously plays bigger irons and ends up with some blasted shots. That being said, i think your best bet is to actually move down to a more consistent iron for your game. The mmc are very consistent, almost like a gi iron but in a players iron package with forging and great turf interaction 💘... sounds like you need something similar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not sure many people on Golfwrx will admit to an increase in handicap thanks to strong lofts and lighter weight shafts.  Those two topics are all most people talk about. 

Strong lofted irons in the hands of average Joe golfers often ends with directional and distance control issues.  Add light weight graphite shafts to strong lofted irons and it's a good time to raise the bet. 

A friend has this very issue.  One minute his 6i with lite-weight shafts fly's one distance, next it's hard left or right, or fly's the green long by 20-30yds.  What's odd all those "long" conditions boast his ego somehow so he hasn't changed it.  

• Like 1
  • Titleist TS2 9.5', Ventus 5 "S"
  • Titleist TS2 16', Ventus 7 "S"
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 17' 2i Tensei AV White AM "S"
  • Titleist 620 Series 3i-PW Tensei AV White AM "S"
  • SM6 F-52/8 Tensei AV White AM "S"
  • SM6 M-58/8 DGS200 "S"
  • SC CA Monterey
  • ProV1x, AVX, ProV1

Btw... i really think that unless your being fit by a company fitter like callaway titleist or others... i think some of these fitters are bonkers. The fact that they think hitting a ball in a screen or even outdoor but crappy banged up balls on a crummy range is ok is amazing. Some of these guys are like mcdonalds.. get in, quick readings, dont care what u say think or feel, then heres your paper be on your way?? What?... how many ppl have bought what they have suggested should work for you and it was totally off? I hear tour players often dont go whats suggested at first for them they play a mix of what they like and how it works and feels. Sounds right to me. Imagine being fit at your favorite companys facility... i bet your outcome is way better. That being said.. i bet tiger can play a set of junior clubs and shoot 70.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

Not sure many people on Golfwrx will admit to an increase in handicap thanks to strong lofts and lighter weight shafts.  Those two topics are all most people talk about. 

Strong lofted irons in the hands of average Joe golfers often ends with directional and distance control issues.  Add light weight graphite shafts to strong lofted irons and it's a good time to raise the bet. 

A friend has this very issue.  One minute his 6i with lite-weight shafts fly's one distance, next it's hard left or right, or fly's the green long by 20-30yds.  What's odd all those "long" conditions boast his ego somehow so he hasn't changed it.  

How is this such an epidemic in the golf world and yet in the 4+ years that I have been playing my steel shafted Rocketbladez I have yet to experience these mystery +20/+30 yard 6 irons from nowhere?

It sounds to me like your friend needs to work on his swing.

23 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

Ironically, that's what got me to look at switching irons, just twenty years ago.  🙂

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 10*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Matrix 8m3 X, 42"
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, NV105 S or DGS400

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft pending); 1-PW Golden Ram TW282 or Vibration Matched Golden Rams, RIP Tour 115 R (coin flipping for the reshaft project); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, DGS400; Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Ram Watson Scoring System 55*, DGX 7i shaft; Ram TG-898, DGS400; Ram TG-898, NV105 S; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS300; Ram 1982 Commemorative Nickel 58*, Dynamic S; Ram TW282, DGS; Ram TW276, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 58*, Dynamic S; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, DGS400; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, NV105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional or TaylorMade TP5

50 minutes ago, chippa13 said:

How is this such an epidemic in the golf world and yet in the 4+ years that I have been playing my steel shafted Rocketbladez I have yet to experience these mystery +20/+30 yard 6 irons from nowhere?

Epidemic???  That's your word, not mine.  Because it hasn't happen to you or you're not acknowledging it, doesn't mean its not prevalent.  Blaming someone's swing is not the solution for every result. 

Like I said, not many people are openly honest with themselves about certain things.  If that were not true, how is it we see so as many 300yd hitters here, and people that believe if it weren't for their errant drives and short games they'd be low-single digit and scratch golfers. LOL  

• Like 2
  • SM6 M-58/8 DGS200 "S"
  • SC CA Monterey
  • ProV1x, AVX, ProV1

Guess the way I'd look at it is that they're a different design, and they come with tradeoffs.    It's just like SGIs make some shots much easier to hit, but others are much harder.   

Since getting PDIs what I've found is that my distances from good lies are pretty consistent.   If I go left or right of a green I'm pin high more than I used to be, and that's been mostly beneficial.

From the rough is where I find distance variation to be greater.   And what  I mean there is that my mistakes in reading the lie, ball position, etc are magnified, and where I can get the super long shot.

And as suggested, some will say "you really nuked that 7i", but that usually means I'm looking for my ball in the brush behind the green.

• Haha 1
16 hours ago, PJF7789 said:

If you don’t mind me asking, what did you switch over to when you say more “demanding”? 

I tried a preowned set of MP53’s last year and never felt I’d be able to look down and feel confident. Do your new “demanding” irons offer any help? Or did you switch to a a full MB? 

I ask because I’m thinking I want test a set of t100’s, i210’s, or Apex’s and give up on the T300s - which is very out of character for me considering I played my last irons for 10 years and still carry a 2008 Callaway X Hybrid because I’ve yet to find anything that can knock it out of my bag....

I was using Cobra S3 irons and switched to Srixon 785s. Those are not MBs, but are largely marketed to single digits handicaps and I didnt have that game at that time. But I found them not to be demanding at all. Immediately made a huge improvement on my dispersion. 

• Like 1

PING G410+ 9* TPO 60S 

Callaway Mini 1.5 14*

Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5*

Callaway Apex 20* AD DI 85s

Cleveland UHX 5 utility 23*

6-PW Srixon Z785 Modus 120S

50 Cleveland RTX 4

56 and 60, TM Hi Toe

EVNROLL ER3

8 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

Epidemic???  That's your word, not mine.  Because it hasn't happen to you or you're not acknowledging it, doesn't mean its not prevalent.  Blaming someone's swing is not the solution for every result. 

Like I said, not many people are openly honest with themselves about certain things.  If that were not true, how is it we see so as many 300yd hitters here, and people that believe if it weren't for their errant drives and short games they'd be low-single digit and scratch golfers. LOL  

I can't decide if you're insulting my intelligence or my integrity. Obviously, epidemic is hyperbole but you get the gist. I would think if so many of these people experience these mysterious fliers so often that in 4+ years I should have launched one 30 yards over the green with a nice swing and great feeling contact and wondered how the heck that just happened. It feels to me like the folks who have this happen with regularity are the ones who aren't honest with themselves and confuse their normal contact with good contact.

• Like 2
On 10/27/2020 at 4:09 PM, PJF7789 said:

Last summer I finally bit the bullet and bought new irons. I had been consistently shooting in Mid-80’s and decided to reward my hard work. My low score last spring was an 82. I figured now that I had consistency down, adding distance was the piece of my game that was missing. 

I was fit for a set T300’s with Project X LZ 120’s in 6.0 - I gained a considerable amount of distance, and can consistently hit draws and a baby cut. During my fitting I tried the Mavricks, JPX 919, and G410 - the T300’s were the most consistent on the monitor (indoor fitting - first mistake) so I pulled the trigger. I didn’t think I was good enough to try the T200’s or T100’s so I didn’t bother. 

The question I’m posing is: has anyone else seen their scores go up and GIR go down when switching to distance irons? In my old set of Callaways my 7 iron was consistently 150-155 yards. With the T300’s my 7 iron flys anywhere from 150-185, with the rest of my set having outrageous distance disparity, making my approach shots a total crap shoot. If you strike the ball even a centimeter away from the sweetspot it goes 150, in the sweet spot, the ball literally explodes off the face and goes 185. I have a relatively moderate tempo and prefer heavier, tip and butt stiff shafts so I don’t think my shafts are the issue. My reward for shooting in the 80’s bought me rounds in the mid 90’s 😞 

Had anyone else had this problem or made the switch back to normal, or even players irons after trying a distance iron? 

Is there a greater chance that this is a swing mechanics issue and not a club issue....are their techniques to finding consistency with “hot” irons? 

How do you like those LZ shafts? They just came on a set of used clubs I bought.  I hope they aren't too soft: I am about 175 yards on my Mizuno MMC's, so probably a bit higher swing speed. 

1 hour ago, chippa13 said:

I had a loaner set of Callaway Epics for a few weeks.  Those suckers were LONG.  I was teeing off from low 170s to the green with an 8-iron, which was about my normal length. Hit one super flush and it flew the green for easily a low 190s 8-iron. Boy, that swing felt great but the result wasn't so hot.  

I got MMCs shortly after that.  I figured my game would be at that level sooner or later. 

2 minutes ago, chippa13 said:

I can't decide if you're insulting my intelligence or my integrity. Obviously, epidemic is hyperbole but you get the gist. I would think if so many of these people experience these mysterious fliers so often that in 4+ years I should have launched one 30 yards over the green with a nice swing and great feeling contact and wondered how the heck that just happened. It feels to me like the folks who have this happen with regularity are the ones who aren't honest with themselves and confuse their normal contact with good contact.

I wouldn't spend much time on whether I was insulting you in some Superfragilistic way, that is NOT my style.  If I want to insult someone I am pretty blunt. 

Anyway, I have three buddies that have that issue that I've noticed during play, always long of the target with handicap range of 12-17 and clubs setup as stated earlier.  All are causal golfers and not concerned enough to do anything about it. 

• Like 2
  • SM6 M-58/8 DGS200 "S"
  • SC CA Monterey
  • ProV1x, AVX, ProV1

I've played a variety of irons this year including 24 year old taylormade burner tours, T100S, G710s and P770s.  Last year I played the P790s and Epic Forgred for the majority of the year.  I have never had a shot that flew further than normal other than the odd "felt nothing" absolute nuked, purest strike ever shot that happens (for me) about once every 3 rounds.  But those are shots that as soon as the ball leaves the clubface I'm yelling for it to get down because I know I crushed it.  I've never have been left standing in the fairway or on the tee box wondering what happened.  But thats just my own personal experience and reading threads like this always make me wonder if I'll run into those random fliers.  

• Like 1

Does anyone think the "flyers" are people actually hitting it flush?  Most other shots not being flush?  

Somewhat kidding.  Will be honest, I've improved with my i500s.  Love them, in fact.  Only fliers I've caught are when the ball is sitting up (middle face rather than low face - less spin, higher), or teed up. I know, right?  They get more distance when you hit higher on the face, but irons aren't supposed to be struck there.  I know this...and play it.  

Some of these are "players" irons....they command a good strike.  They aren't as "forgiving" as some believe.  I've also found a solid negative AoA seems to get better results.  Sweeping (for me), while not my common strike does sometimes get less spin for me, no distance issues, rolls out a bit more. 

PING G425 LST 10* Fuji XLR8 51

PING G425 Max 5Wd 16.5* Fuji XLR8 61

PING G425 Max 7Wd 20* Fuji Motore F3 70

PING i500 3-PW KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

Edel 46* DVR/52* DVR/58* DVR KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

PING Vault Anser 2

6 hours ago, WarEagleGolf said:

Does anyone think the "flyers" are people actually hitting it flush?  Most other shots not being flush?  

Somewhat kidding.  Will be honest, I've improved with my i500s.  Love them, in fact.  Only fliers I've caught are when the ball is sitting up (middle face rather than low face - less spin, higher), or teed up. I know, right?  They get more distance when you hit higher on the face, but irons aren't supposed to be struck there.  I know this...and play it.  

Some of these are "players" irons....they command a good strike.  They aren't as "forgiving" as some believe.  I've also found a solid negative AoA seems to get better results.  Sweeping (for me), while not my common strike does sometimes get less spin for me, no distance issues, rolls out a bit more. 

Kidding aside you make an interesting point.  When I completely flush my Z965 or another "solid" head, forged or cast, it doesn't result in excessive additional distance.  Even if I turn it over and end up hitting low left the ball is still likely to be in play.  And that is the issue - with the P790 I feel I need to play for a 4 way miss rather than just left/right/short. 

On the sim I have seen low spin knuckle balls and unexplained higher ball speeds without any significant drop in spin.  If you experience both together then that ball is at least a club length longer in carry.  

With conventional solid heads I only need to worry about the occasional low spin flyer.

Any time you introduce another variable, such as a face that flexes, especially a face that flexes more in some areas than others, it adds the possibility of greater variation in shot dispersion performance.

As we get into the era of sub 2mm face thicknesses in irons, we have to assume manufacturing tolerances and some faces will be thinner/thicker/less uniform than others even in the same set.

Metal fatigues over time with bending which may change the performance characteristics of the face, and the irons that are used most often will be more likely to exhibit more of these characteristics. 

These variables can easily explain some of the phenomena being reported here. Could also be placebo effect. I personally like to eliminate as many variables as I can when it comes to the golf equipment I’m hitting into greens. 

• Like 1

RomaRo 435LX 10*-Quadra FEX 65SX 

PRGR Egg HD 14.5*-Fubuki 75S 3W
PRGR EGG 20* - M-43S 7 wood

RomaRo iBrid 2 22* - Crazy Hybrid 

Miura PP9003SN 5-G - Modus 125S 

Miura HB12 @ 55* - Modus 125 W

2015 PM Grind 60* - KBS Tour V

Axis1 Rose - Garsen Quad Tour grip

On 10/28/2020 at 10:32 PM, GBBM said:

My first thought 

BD4805EB-6001-49E9-9AAF-2CFA141D31AB.jpeg

Good one!

Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 set to 9.5
3 Wood Epic Flash set to 16 degrees
3-5 Hybrids Epic Flash 18 20 23 degrees
6 hybrid Big Bertha 26 degree 
7-AW Callaway Mavrik Irons 
50 degree GW Vokey SM7
56 degree SW Vokey SM7
Odyssey White Hot V-Line Fang

I was really considering switching to a larger more forgiving GI type iron. In the past I have naturally gravitated to a smaller profile club like say the i210, JPX 919 forged or T100. Instead I was considering trying the G410, JPX HM or T300. But reading threads like this does make me wonder if I'm better off sticking to a smaller players CB. Experiences with these type of clubs seem to be very mixed. 

• Confused 1

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Taylormade R7TP 4-PW irons
Cleveland RTX 2 52°/10°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

On 10/29/2020 at 3:33 PM, RoyalMustang said:

How do you like those LZ shafts? They just came on a set of used clubs I bought.  I hope they aren't too soft: I am about 175 yards on my Mizuno MMC's, so probably a bit higher swing speed. 

Despite my issues with the T300 heads, I love the LZ. My 7 iron swing is mid 80's and I play a 6.0 with 120 grams, the 5.5 felt a little wobbly. I previously played uniflex shafts that bend similarly in my opinion. 

I've slightly shortened my backswing as to not overload the shaft, but its very smooth, with a great release point on solid contact shots. I don't really see myself playing with anything else in the future. 

TS2 10.5 w/ Smoke Black 60  6.0 

GBB Epic 15 w/ HZRDUS 65 T800 6.0 

Mavrik 18 w/ Riptide 70 6.0 

816 H1 22 w/ Proforce 100 Stiff 

T300 w/ Project X LZ 6.0 5-GW 

SM4 52-8, 58-8 

Odyssey Black #2 

On 10/29/2020 at 1:51 PM, iNeedMoreGolf said:

You and me play very similar score wise in golf. Ive had both game improvment irons and now whats considered i think players irons mizuno mp mmc20 and i havent noticed a differnce myself no more then 5 to 10 yards on miss hits. I also havent had trouble on approach shots with either irons as far as fron to back dispersion. I think approach shot needs to be very touchy and delicate most of the time. It also sounds like you might have too high a swing speed possibly for the t300?The t300 are gi irons bordering sgi in my opinion as i played them as a demo set on a trip. They do what they are ment to and that just might be giving you the often super strike over the green. I know this is a thing because i have a friend who plays in the 70s and hasnt been fit or fell on the correct irons. He continuously plays bigger irons and ends up with some blasted shots. That being said, i think your best bet is to actually move down to a more consistent iron for your game. The mmc are very consistent, almost like a gi iron but in a players iron package with forging and great turf interaction 💘... sounds like you need something similar.

I wish - I don't believe they make the MCC in left handed. 

Another reason I try to never switch clubs - tough to find anything preowned and when buying new I usually have to order. I finally replaced my SLDR with a TS2 w/ Hzrdus Smoke and it took 3 weeks to come in the mail! 

TS2 10.5 w/ Smoke Black 60  6.0 

GBB Epic 15 w/ HZRDUS 65 T800 6.0 

Mavrik 18 w/ Riptide 70 6.0 

816 H1 22 w/ Proforce 100 Stiff 

T300 w/ Project X LZ 6.0 5-GW 

SM4 52-8, 58-8 

Odyssey Black #2 

In my experience it’s far more likely that it’s a club/ball/outside influence issue.

I’ve experienced the crazy long shot more by playing a low compression ball e.g. chromesoft. Low spin and flat flight waaay long from the middle of the fairway. I’ve had the same with the distance irons but nowhere near as bad. 

The worst I’ve experienced was the silly season I played with distance irons and was using chromesofts. I list so many balls long from airmailing into jungle behind greens. All in slightly damp UK conditions from fairway lies. I knew instantly as I couldn’t hear the ball fizzIng from contact. 

Funnily enough I never experienced it with a tour level ball! I’d be really interested to hear what ball people have experienced the crazy longs from. 

23 hours ago, GBBM said:

Any time you introduce another variable, such as a face that flexes, especially a face that flexes more in some areas than others, it adds the possibility of greater variation in shot dispersion performance.

Yes, and I believe this is why Tour players may swing hollow head models only in the 2, 3, and 4 iron lofts.

KZG SP700 driver

Srixon F65 3-wood

Srixon H65 3, 4 hybrids

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

Well I had the P790 and these were long and had gap issues from 1 club to the next sometimes. So I later switch to some SGI irons the G710 as there are time when I think I pured that shot so cleanly that I'm going to be putting for a birdie only to find out it flew the green and I'm standing in the middle of the fairway scratching my head as to what just happened. The G710 are more consistent on full shot but when I try take a little of my swing it still flies as if I still hit a full shot as I know it's because I haven't got used to the feel as coming from a forged iron takes some adjusting, at least for me it has. 

On 10/29/2020 at 12:53 PM, Pepperturbo said:

Quite the contrary here. I’ve actually improved by 3 on my WHS . Using strong lofts shouldn’t affect any swing, maybe lighter shafts but in my case no ill effect. Using a 65 gram shaft in my current setup. Love them.

• Like 1

Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 set to 9.5
3 Wood Epic Flash set to 16 degrees
3-5 Hybrids Epic Flash 18 20 23 degrees
6 hybrid Big Bertha 26 degree 
7-AW Callaway Mavrik Irons 
50 degree GW Vokey SM7
56 degree SW Vokey SM7
Odyssey White Hot V-Line Fang