How many birdies in a season?

I'm a golf stats junkie. I realize many aren't, and you may not know the answer to this question, but I am curious how many birdies do you make in a season? 

In 99 rounds this season I've made 95 birdies, or 0.95 per round. Last season it was 68 birdies in 88 rounds. (round totals count 9-hole rounds as 1 round)

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2
Titleist 716 T-MB 2-iron
Callaway Apex irons 3-PW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws and Mack Daddy Wedges (60, 55, 50)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Is "not enough" a valid answer?

I actually track that too - the "superscore" on all the courses I played. I actually was able to pull off birdie or better on every hole on my home course this season. I had one hole left to go, hole

For sure. I'm from Southern California. Most years we can play 355 days. Our worst years it's maybe 345? As I've gotten older, I prefer 3 days a week, max or up to four in the warm months with the lon

Posted Images

I usually average close to one per round and lot of them are on par 5's.  I believe this is due to that I can get to most of them in 2.  If the ball isn't on the green it's usually around it close enough for an easy chip.  If my overall iron game was better I'd probably have more, but that's golf. 

TM SIM MAX 9* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/Ventus Blue 8x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

Vega VDC-01 4-PW w/Recoil Proto 125 F5

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+

58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Newport 1

Snell MTB-X

23 minutes ago, HatsForBats said:

With about 85 rounds in I would guess around 144 based on previous seasons averaging 1.698 birdies per 18 holes. Pars would be estimated at 587.

What's your handicap index? It definitely has to be lower than mine. 

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2
Titleist 716 T-MB 2-iron
Callaway Apex irons 3-PW

My guess is I average about 1/round.  I will have 4 rounds in a row where I make none and then I will have a few rounds in a row with 3.  I have a challenge with myself to see if I can birdie every hole in a calendar year.  I am 77 rounds in this year and birdied the last one in mid-September, with obviously multiple birdies on other holes.

I really need to do better keeping stats.  The GHIN app makes it so easy and I am just too lazy to enter them.   Tell you what, I will start after my round on Sunday!

9 minutes ago, david.c.w said:

My guess is I average about 1/round.  I will have 4 rounds in a row where I make none and then I will have a few rounds in a row with 3.  I have a challenge with myself to see if I can birdie every hole in a calendar year.  I am 77 rounds in this year and birdied the last one in mid-September, with obviously multiple birdies on other holes.

I really need to do better keeping stats.  The GHIN app makes it so easy and I am just too lazy to enter them.   Tell you what, I will start after my round on Sunday!

I am the same. I had one round this year where I had 6 birdies. Others where I get 2-3. And then I could go 5 rounds in a row without one single birdie. 

And yes, definitely keep the stats. I find it not only fun, but it helps me to see if I am actually improving in various areas or not. 

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2
Titleist 716 T-MB 2-iron
Callaway Apex irons 3-PW

Just now, DavePelz4 said:

Here's a good explanation of why my handicap is at an near all time high...12.4% birdies, 17.6% double bogies.

Yeah, I should mention I've also had 196 double bogeys (or worse) this season. Which means I am averaging almost 2 per round. Yowza. 

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2
Titleist 716 T-MB 2-iron
Callaway Apex irons 3-PW

Just now, DavePelz4 said:

That's impressive.  Do you have a distribution of what holes you have the highest percentage of birdies on?  Guessing eagles has to be par 5's unless you're playing courses with driveable par 4s.

All of the eagles were on Par 5s this year, one chip in from off the green and two one-putts.  I can't seem to easily pull the birdie data from TheGrint by par or anything, but here is my scoring average by par so far this year (all scores, not just those counted for my handicap/etc):

Par 3- 3.3

Par 4 - 4.2

Par 5 - 4.9

Cobra F9 (9)

Cobra F8+ (14.5, 19)

Cobra Forged Tour (4-PW)

Cobra King Black (50, 54, 58)

PING Heppler Fetch

Snell MTB Black

2.7 cap right now ... 115 rounds ... 9% birdies plus 4 eagles, 52% pars, 32% bogeys

scoring avg 78.3

par 3 ... 3.5

par 4 ...  4.4

par 5 ...  5.2

bounce back percentage 59%

of course I see my 30 rounds in Jan and Feb in the USA and early ones here don’t capture hole by hole so that pooches the stats

79 of 115 rounds only capture hole by hole ... my bad

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max 10.5* Fubuki K 60x

Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard 73x Ping G400 7w 19.5* Diamana B 80s

Callaway Apex 4h 23* Fubuki 82x Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 90s

Mizuno 919T 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype 95 f4
Vokey SM2 50*, SM2 TVD 56*M & 59*M, 64* Recoil Proto 95 f4

Piretti Matera Elite

I'm not nearly as hardcore of a golfer as most on this site, but I was happy to put down 5 or 6 birdies this year in the 10 times I got out golfing.

• Like 1

What's In The Bag?

Srixon Z565 Driver, 4W, 4H

Ping G400 5-U

Ping Zing BeCU Putter

Hyundai Equus Alignment Sticks

Bridgestone e6, Noodle Neon, or Titleist TruSoft balls

Various trinkets, ball markers, and white wooden tees

39 minutes ago, AR TheGrint said:

There's an easy way to get this from TheGrint!

On the home screen, go to the Career in the bottom menu -> Select Trophy Room.

On the trophy room there's a filter by year, use it to select the desired season. Then the Historic Achievements "Birdies" trophy will represent the total birdies made during that year/season.  

Happy Grinting!

File (192).jpg

Thanks!  I found that info okay, what I couldn't find was how many birdies I had on Par 3s, Par 4s, Par 5s 

Cobra F9 (9)

Cobra F8+ (14.5, 19)

Cobra Forged Tour (4-PW)

Cobra King Black (50, 54, 58)

PING Heppler Fetch

Snell MTB Black

7 hours ago, Roejye said:

21 birdies in about 75 9 hole rounds, I'm a lowly mortal not skilled enough to be on this site. Fare thee well my fellow golfwrx'ers, I will miss you.

Sad Spongebob Squarepants GIF

No, don't leave!  We can start a club:  "Mediocre Golfers Of WRX Society"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

What's In The Bag?

Srixon Z565 Driver, 4W, 4H

Ping G400 5-U

Ping Zing BeCU Putter

Hyundai Equus Alignment Sticks

Bridgestone e6, Noodle Neon, or Titleist TruSoft balls

Various trinkets, ball markers, and white wooden tees

7 hours ago, Roejye said:

21 birdies in about 75 9 hole rounds, I'm a lowly mortal not skilled enough to be on this site. Fare thee well my fellow golfwrx'ers, I will miss you.

Sad Spongebob Squarepants GIF

It's ok. The only requirement to be on GolfWRX is you have to drive the ball at least 350 yards off the tee. 

Or at least convince everyone you can. I mean, I drove the ball 354 yards... once... downhill, wind-and-cart-path-aided. But it was a legit SkyCaddie-measured 354 yards!

• Like 1

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2
Titleist 716 T-MB 2-iron
Callaway Apex irons 3-PW

I didn't track them but i would guess somewhere around 1.2-1.4 ~ a round

In a typical year i will average 2 or slightly over that

I did not make a lot of birdies this year. I had 2 different stretches of 5 rounds or more where i didn't make any. However in my last 10 rounds i probably averaged 2.5-3 or so which helped bring the average back up, over that span i made 5 in a round twice

Callaway Mavrik Max 9 w/Hzrdus Smoke Black 80
Ping G410 LST 13 w/Ping Tour 75
Ping G400 Crossover 20 w/KBS Tour Prototype 85
Ping G410 4-SW w/S300
Titleist Vokey SM8 60 M grind

Deschamps Blade 375g

I would like to know how many birdie putts I have missed more than how many birdies I have made.  I know I missed too many the last round I played and made 2.  I need to keep better stats for sure.  I mostly keep up with GIR and fairways on the score card.  What’s an easy app to use?  I have a Garmin s60 but I’m only using it for yardages.  It seems to do a lot more if you use the app and the watch but I haven’t really tried it.

Edited by Rdriver
1 minute ago, phil75070 said:

I have 10 HIO in total. Six of those have come in the last three years, 2 in 2018, 2 in 2019 and 2 this year. The first one dates back to 1984. I am a firm believer that HIO are as much, if not more about luck than skill.

Agreed on the luck assertion. Unfortunately that means I have bad luck because I'm on my 25th year of playing golf, and ZERO so far. 

• Haha 2

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2
Titleist 716 T-MB 2-iron
Callaway Apex irons 3-PW