Jump to content

Port Royal Golf Course in Bermuda.....6842 yards.


Recommended Posts

Here's a golf course that most golfers can relate to and play on any given weekend. The course is only about 6842 yards yet the PGATOUR manage to have a professional tournament there. Brendon Todd won there and the course rewards hitting greens and rolling the rock. What do think about the tour playing on more courses like this? Pebble beach comes to mind on the list of courses that gives the whole field a fighting chance. I like a course where iron play is the king....

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He was probably saying it was because Malnati is 166th in driving distance so is too “short” off the tee. I would say the fact he’s not in the Masters field would be a larger deterrent.😊

I've played that course probably 10+ times. Agreed if there's zero wind it's not that bad but there's still a lot of holes with water.    The usual views on the back 9.  

Here's a golf course that most golfers can relate to and play on any given weekend. The course is only about 6842 yards yet the PGATOUR manage to have a professional tournament there. Brendon Todd won

Posted Images

2 hours ago, cristphoto said:

I've played that course.  Its biggest defense is the wind.  You're always playing an adjusted yardage.  There's one par three there that reminds me of Pebble Beach. Along the ocean and the ocean actually cuts into the hole midway. Very pretty - and tough.  

Shows that they all don't have to be 7600 yards.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, cristphoto said:

I've played that course.  Its biggest defense is the wind.  You're always playing an adjusted yardage.  There's one par three there that reminds me of Pebble Beach. Along the ocean and the ocean actually cuts into the hole midway. Very pretty - and tough.  

That would be the 16th hole.  I was a member of the course for 2 years while living in Bermuda and as mentioned it can get very windy.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Reminds me of the Norman course in the Bahamas (Great Exuma), it's also fairly short (7001) and hosts a Korn Ferry event. I think a guy shot nearly 100 there a few years back

 

There is water on almost every hole on the back 9 and a few on the front too. Probably 13-14 in all. And it's on the Ocean so when you get those stormy, windy days....brutal

 

Callaway Mavrik Max 9 w/Hzrdus Smoke Black 80
Ping G410 LST 13 w/Ping Tour 75
Ping G400 Crossover 20 w/KBS Tour Prototype 85
Ping G410 4-SW w/S300
Titleist Vokey SM8 60 M grind

SGC #002 flow neck 385g

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, cristphoto said:

I've played that course.  Its biggest defense is the wind.  You're always playing an adjusted yardage.  There's one par three there that reminds me of Pebble Beach. Along the ocean and the ocean actually cuts into the hole midway. Very pretty - and tough.  

agreed 

 

that par 3 you often have to send a ball out over the water and have the wind bring it back in just to hope to hit the green. 

 

love how they have wifi on that castle for everyone to take the obligatory selfie with the cliff view  

TS3 Smoke 70g (S Flex)
913 FD 3 wood Whiteboard (X Flex)
915 F 5 wood Blueboard (S Flex)
712U 4 Iron
714CB 5-6
718MB 7-PW 
Vokey SM7 50, 55, 60 
SC Newport 2.5

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

Reminds me of the Norman course in the Bahamas (Great Exuma), it's also fairly short (7001) and hosts a Korn Ferry event. I think a guy shot nearly 100 there a few years back

 

There is water on almost every hole on the back 9 and a few on the front too. Probably 13-14 in all. And it's on the Ocean so when you get those stormy, windy days....brutal

 

I caddied that event the last 2 years on the KFT and this past year was brutal. The par 3 11th was playing around 140/150 all week and guys were hitting knock down 6/5 irons into that green.
 

Wasn’t there for 2018 but 1 guy finished under par that year. It’s not a difficult course (there’s a lot of mangrove bushes on holes where this isn’t water) but like any golf out in the Caribbean the wind dictates everything.

Edited by Creedo77
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Titleist99 said:

Shows that they all don't have to be 7600 yards.....

 

Also that conditions are king. The PGA schedule seems to be played so that they tend to get little wind most weeks, but when it does kick up the scores always reflect that. They can make courses as long as they want but if they don't have to worry about wind or the course is receptive they will figure out how to shoot good scores. 

  • Like 1

Titleist 917 D3 9.5* Kiyoshi Black 65-05
Titleist 917 F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X
Titleist 818 H2 19* Tensei White 100-X
Mizuno MP-69 3-PW PX 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM7 Jet Black 54* S PX 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM7 Jet Black 60* M PX 6.0
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ IOmic

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Creedo77 said:

I caddied that event the last 2 years on the KFT and this past year was brutal. The par 3 11th was playing around 140/150 all week and guys were hitting knock down 6/5 irons into that green.
 

Wasn’t there for 2018 but 1 guy finished under par that year. It’s not a difficult course (there’s a lot of mangrove bushes on holes where this isn’t water) but like any golf out in the Caribbean the wind dictates everything.

 

I've played that course probably 10+ times. Agreed if there's zero wind it's not that bad but there's still a lot of holes with water. 

 

The usual views on the back 9.

 

1467273_10152050532605763_734787391_n.jpg

  • Like 4

Callaway Mavrik Max 9 w/Hzrdus Smoke Black 80
Ping G410 LST 13 w/Ping Tour 75
Ping G400 Crossover 20 w/KBS Tour Prototype 85
Ping G410 4-SW w/S300
Titleist Vokey SM8 60 M grind

SGC #002 flow neck 385g

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, TLUBulldogGolf said:

 

Also that conditions are king. The PGA schedule seems to be played so that they tend to get little wind most weeks, but when it does kick up the scores always reflect that. They can make courses as long as they want but if they don't have to worry about wind or the course is receptive they will figure out how to shoot good scores. 

Of course they will....they're the best in the world. I marvel at their talent.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Have also played Port Royal numerous times during trips to Bermuda. Love the course and you'll never be treated better anywhere than the residents of the island treat you. You'd never think of an island course having that many ponds but it's gotta be in play on 5-6 holes.  Port Royal is always in wonderful condition as well. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Titleist99 said:

Just curious.....why do you say that he has no chance at ANGC?

Besides the fact that he is not in the field, if he were in the field, he would be too short to compete.  ANGC has a tradition of being a bomber's course.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, gvogel said:

Besides the fact that he is not in the field, if he were in the field, he would be too short to compete.  ANGC has a tradition of being a bomber's course.

 

That's what people told me too!

 

Signed,

 

Zach Johnson - Host of the 2008 Masters Champion Dinner

Jordan Spieth - Host of the 2016 Masters Champion Dinner

 

And many more...

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DavePelz4 said:

Have also played Port Royal numerous times during trips to Bermuda. Love the course and you'll never be treated better anywhere than the residents of the island treat you. You'd never think of an island course having that many ponds but it's gotta be in play on 5-6 holes.  Port Royal is always in wonderful condition as well. 

 

Agreed.  I love that course and that island is my "happy place".  Can't wait to get back.

  • Like 1

Cobra BioCell Pro 9.5*F/ Aldila CINNAMON 65-X
Adams Super LS Matte Black 18*/ Redboard 83x

Callaway X Forged UT/ TI S400   OR
Adams Red 20*/ AxivRed 104x
MP64 4-7/ MP4 8-PW (6-PW 1*weak)/ DG X7
Cleveland RTX4 50,56,60/ Tour Raw S400
Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 34" Custom Shop Blue Paint and Jackpot Johnny Cover
Tour Issue Drizzle Stick (In case it rains).
All riding on a blue Clicgear 3.5+
WITB Link

Link to post
Share on other sites

That course is a lot of fun!  My profile pic is from #16, par’d it in the wind and was very pleased with that.  It can be a tough hole.  COVID cancelled my most recent trip scheduled for there, but should be back some time in 2021 or 2022!

 

I’m excited to see the wind really pick up tomorrow and how the pros manage the course with the wind.

GAMER SETUP:

PXG Proto X | GD Tour AD GP7x +.5"

PXG Gen2 0341X 3W | Project X Hzrdus Smoke Yellow

PXG Gen2 0311P 3-4i | KBS C-Taper Lite X +1"

PXG Gen3 0311T 5i-G | KBS C-Taper Lite X +1"

Titleist 54* RAW Vokey SM8 | KBS C-Taper Lite X +1"

PXG 58* Sugar Daddy | KBS C-Taper Lite X +1"

TM MySpiderX | 36" - 71* - 3*

Link to post
Share on other sites

YUP, a tight layout with small greens at 7,000 yards is a test for the pro's if set up properly


Ping G400 Max Graphite Design AD XC 6x

Ping G400 5w Diamana Blue B 80s G400 7w GD PM902s

Callaway Apex 4h 23* Matrix 92x Apex 5h 26* PX hb6 97x

Mizuno 919T 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype 95 f4
Vokey SM2 50*, SM2 TVD 56*M & 59*M, 64* Recoil Proto 95 f4

Piretti Matera Elite
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, cardoustie said:

YUP, a tight layout with small greens at 7,000 yards is a test for the pro's if set up properly

 

My course is 7000 ish and McIlroy shot 64 then 78 the next day!

 

The best inland course I have ever played was about 7000 ish too, Austin Country Club. 

  • Ping G410 LST 9* Tensei Orange 70TX
  • Taylormade M5 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • Taylormade P790 18* UDI Project X 6.5
  • Ping Blueprint 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, isaacbm said:

I like the short course, but it doesn’t really lend itself well to tour events mostly because there just isn’t enough room on the property for a gallery. Of course not an issue this year... 

I don't miss the fans at all during Covid coverage, but I made a whole other thread about that a few weeks ago.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, baincol said:

Question on tonights 3 balls

 

How can Hagy be finished his round when he is playing with Suh and Ventura when according to pgatour they have not started hole?

The online scoring may be a little slow but as long as the group agrees to tee off then Hagy can finish the hole if he chooses to. 
 

That’s the only thing I can think given the situation 

Edited by Creedo77
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...