Planning/Rambling for 2021 - Shooting For + Cap

Celebros

Hey everyone!  Just wanted to put together somewhat of a summary of my game and my thoughts about what to work on heading into 2021.

I've been a solid player since high school (Class of 2004, age 34 now) - breaking 80 most of the time, but never really playing more than once a month or so for years due to college, work, marriage/young kids, etc.  I finally decided to get back into things more seriously toward the end of 2018 (including tracking my handicap/etc from that point on).  

Between 2018 and July 2019 I tracked between a 3.5 and 4.5 handicap.  New clubs arrived on the scene in spring 2019 (previously I had been playing essentially the same bag I had in high school - Cleveland TA-3s, Steelhead Plus Fairway, r510 driver, etc).  On somewhat of a lark, I decided to enter my club championship in the summer of 2019 to help spur things along as far as getting some good competition.  Well, I ended up winning the thing (three rounds of match play after qualifying).  Shooting even par in the final and winning on the first playoff hole - my best round ever to that point.

I continued my good play through the end of 2019, getting down to a 1.5 handicap.

Going into 2020, my ambitions were high.  I decided to sign up early for the Ohio Public Links Championship (36-holes, originally scheduled in June), but that ended up being cancelled due to COVID.  After the cancellation, I managed to get into the Ohio Mid Am (54-holes, cut after 36), which was to be contested in late August.  My club championship was not contested this year due COVID., so I didn't get a chance to defend my title.

From the spring of this year into mid-July, I played the best golf I have ever played.  I got down to scratch (0.0 exactly) for a few weeks in July.  A combination of kids going back to school, me going back to work, selling our home/buying a new one/moving in August->September led to a bit of a dip in playing time/form heading into he Mid Am, however.  I shot 81-80 and missed the cut at Springfield (OH) Country Club (usually a US Open qualifier site - tough track), but honestly felt that I played some great golf there - as my ballstriking was notably absent both days, but I managed to still put together two reasonable scores while playing amongst some excellent competition (ten under par scores out of 144 players, with the winner lighting it up at -14 across three rounds, winning by seven).  I certainly had some nerves affect my rounds as well, particularly in my chipping game.

Going into 2020, I had NEVER broken par (I even started a thread earlier this year asking if anyone had been a lower handicap without breaking par).  I ended up breaking par five times this year - 69 (Par 71), 67 (Par 71), 70 (Par 71), 69 (Par 72), 70 (Par 71).

Anyway, at the end of October 2020, I sit with a 1.0 handicap.  I feel good about my game, but know I can get better.  I've never had any formal lessons and really don't practice (couple times at the range this year, 2-3 times at the practice green) - if I have time to devote to golf, I typically just go out and play.

I want to change that going into 2021 and specifically work to improve parts of my game.  Here are two things I want to work on for 2021 that I feel will result in the most improvement to my handicap:

1) Hit More Fairways - My fairway accuracy for 2020 thus far is 42.4%.  I'm not a particularly wild player, so a lot of my misses are just off of the fairway, but even so, the data speaks for itself:  My GIR when I hit the fairway has been 76.24%.  My GIR when I miss the fairway drops to 53.25%.  I hit the ball a long way, typically around 300 or more, depending on turf conditions.  I don't need to hit it any farther, but do need to tighten things up.  I'm not a "driver all the time" guy either - I play a lot of fairway woods, 4 irons, etc off the tee as called for.

2) Improve Iron Game/Approach Proximity - GIR by par:  Par 5 - 73.6%, Par 4 - 58.6%, Par 3 - 42.7%.  I hit a lot of greens, but a lot of those greens on Par 4/5s are hit with wedges in my hand.  That Par 3 GIR% in particular feels terrible.  I should be hitting more greens on Par 3s and birdieing more Par 4/5s given how short my approaches usually are into those holes.

Some other stats from 2020:

Putts Per Round - 30.3 (GIR Putts - 1.89/hole, Non-GIR Putts - 1.46/hole)

Scrambling - 53.11% (43.39% Sand Saves)

Feel free to ask me anything about my game or offer any suggestions on what to work on/ways to work on it!  Also, I do want to look into getting lessons - if anyone has recommendations for instructors in the southwest Ohio area, let me know!

Edited by Celebros
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cobra Radspeed (10)

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour (14.5)

Cobra F8+ (19)

Cobra King Tec Hybrid (24)

Cobra Forged Tour (5-PW)

Cobra Black (50, 54)

Cobra Black Snakebite (58)

PING Heppler Fetch

Snell MTB Prime

1. Work on the driver. Sounds like you got distance and some control, but upping your FIR% to 55% will be huge for your game. Your stats shows how much better closer your approach is from the fairway. So that has to be priority number 1. In the short stuff off the tee.

2. The game always intertwines, so that if you miss greens you want to work on approach shots, but if you miss greens you should probably be working on chipping and putting. Especially since that practice always carries over. You will always use the putter more than any other club, and your wedge more than any particular mid iron. So that is always number one. 

Since you asked, let's go into GIR. I agree that your par 3 GIR does seem low. But your total GIR on a traditional par 72, looks to be 58.4% which is consistent with a scratch golfer.  

I'm sure there are better stats to use, but PGA tour average from the fairway at 150-175 yards for GIR is historically around 63-64%. 175-200 yards is about 55%. I dont know how long your par 3s are, but seem like you should be able to get your number up to 50%.  Maybe not as good as PGA tour average, but you likely have some shorter holes and hitting from a tee versus the fairway stats should be an advantage. But for arguments sake, let's say you got your number up to 55%. At most now you are hitting 2.2 greens instead of 1.68 greens on par 3s. Not even a full extra birdie chance a round. That would be a welcomed improvement, but what's more relevant is the up and down percentage on missed greens. Of course some improved ball striking will carry over to other hole types, but so does chipping and putting. 

• Like 2

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

4 hours ago, Rory4Pres said:

It's always good to have goals set for yourself.  I'd go opposite of your goals though and focus on practicing putting and chipping more than irons and long game.  Obviously like the idea of setting a goal to shoot 68 next year as well.  Best of luck to ya.

4 hours ago, scooterhd2 said:

1. Work on the driver. Sounds like you got distance and some control, but upping your FIR% to 55% will be huge for your game. Your stats shows how much better closer your approach is from the fairway. So that has to be priority number 1. In the short stuff off the tee.

2. The game always intertwines, so that if you miss greens you want to work on approach shots, but if you miss greens you should probably be working on chipping and putting. Especially since that practice always carries over. You will always use the putter more than any other club, and your wedge more than any particular mid iron. So that is always number one. 

Since you asked, let's go into GIR. I agree that your par 3 GIR does seem low. But your total GIR on a traditional par 72, looks to be 58.4% which is consistent with a scratch golfer.  

I'm sure there are better stats to use, but PGA tour average from the fairway at 150-175 yards for GIR is historically around 63-64%. 175-200 yards is about 55%. I dont know how long your par 3s are, but seem like you should be able to get your number up to 50%.  Maybe not as good as PGA tour average, but you likely have some shorter holes and hitting from a tee versus the fairway stats should be an advantage. But for arguments sake, let's say you got your number up to 55%. At most now you are hitting 2.2 greens instead of 1.68 greens on par 3s. Not even a full extra birdie chance a round. That would be a welcomed improvement, but what's more relevant is the up and down percentage on missed greens. Of course some improved ball striking will carry over to other hole types, but so does chipping and putting. 

No debate about improving the short game.  I suppose I picked the two points that I did since they feel like low-hanging fruit given the rest of my game.

One thing I do want to add to my game next year is more variety around the greens.  I've tended to be a 60* all the time sort of player.  I want to get confident with and use my 50*/etc when appropriate.

Edited by Celebros

Cobra Radspeed (10)

Cobra F8+ (19)

Cobra Forged Tour (5-PW)

Cobra Black (50, 54)

PING Heppler Fetch

Snell MTB Prime

1 hour ago, Celebros said:

No debate about improving the short game.  I suppose I picked to two points that I did since they feel like low-hanging fruit given the rest of my game.

One thing I do want to add to my game next year is more variety around the greens.  I've tended to be a 60* all the time sort of player.  I want to get confident with and use my 50*/etc when appropriate.

With occasional practice, your 8 iron-sand wedge would be great options around the green.  Focus on light grip pressure and a super basic swing.  

I could give some suggestions based off stats, as I am kind of a "similar sort" of player type who hits it relatively long and not particularly wild, but also doesn't hit very many fairways (lots of near misses). 

My stats: 

FIR: 41.9% 

GIR: 67% (58% par 3, 62% par 4, 88% par 5) 82% from fairway, 61% from rough

Saves: 40.5% from turf, 52% from bunker

Putts: 31.9

Scoring Average: 72.9

HDCP=+1 to +2

Based off this, I think you would be well served sharpening up your iron game to hit more par 3's and par 4's  while working on killing the par 5's with your length (I average 4.6). Provided this because I felt it might help with the type of game you already have!

Mindset helps too. Set a goal of shooting -5 or better next year. 

Edited by b.mattay

Rogue ST Max LS (8.0), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Cobra Aerojet (13.5), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

TSi2 (18), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

U85 (22), X100

i210 (5-UW), X100

T20 (55.09, 60.06), S400

35” Daddy Long Legs

Srixon Z-Star XV

Not sure where you play in Dayton, but 300+ off the tee should leave you with some fairly short yardage into Par 5s?  What's your Par 5 scoring average, if you have it?  Also, unless you are consistently playing in US open rough, I would also think you have lots of wedges in hand to approaches, fairway or no?  I would probably focus on my 100 yd and in wedge game, as you should have plenty of birdie opportunities.

As for Par 3s, playing them at +1 or +2 consistently should be your goal, because that should be offset by at least two birdies on par 5s (assuming you are playing courses with 2 of each)?  But overall I would recommend getting as close to the hole as possible off the tee, then working on your wedge game to give you lots of 10-15 footers for birdies, and hopefully chips/putts for eagles on par 5s?

1 hour ago, jmkenn0 said:

Not sure where you play in Dayton, but 300+ off the tee should leave you with some fairly short yardage into Par 5s?  What's your Par 5 scoring average, if you have it?  Also, unless you are consistently playing in US open rough, I would also think you have lots of wedges in hand to approaches, fairway or no?  I would probably focus on my 100 yd and in wedge game, as you should have plenty of birdie opportunities.

As for Par 3s, playing them at +1 or +2 consistently should be your goal, because that should be offset by at least two birdies on par 5s (assuming you are playing courses with 2 of each)?  But overall I would recommend getting as close to the hole as possible off the tee, then working on your wedge game to give you lots of 10-15 footers for birdies, and hopefully chips/putts for eagles on par 5s?

Provided a decent drive pretty much all Par 5s are reachable that I normally play.  Cassel Hills is my home course but I tend to play a lot of different courses around the area as well.

Scoring average on Par 5s this year overall is 4.9 (4.5 for my handicap scores).

Cassel Hills does have five Par 3s (Par 71), so the Par 3s do impact my scoring there more than most courses.

Cobra Radspeed (10)

Cobra F8+ (19)

Cobra Forged Tour (5-PW)

Cobra Black (50, 54)

PING Heppler Fetch

Snell MTB Prime

8 hours ago, b.mattay said:

Mindset helps too. Set a goal of shooting -5 or better next year. 

Yep, I think something like that is a good goal to shoot for.

Cobra Radspeed (10)

Cobra F8+ (19)

Cobra Forged Tour (5-PW)

Cobra Black (50, 54)

PING Heppler Fetch

Snell MTB Prime

27 minutes ago, mikpga said:

Kevin Jones

Tim Lambert

What courses do you typically play?

Looks like both of those instructors are in Lebanon?

Cassel Hills (Vandalia) is my home course, but I play all over the Dayton area throughout the year.

Cobra Radspeed (10)

Cobra F8+ (19)

Cobra Forged Tour (5-PW)

Cobra Black (50, 54)

PING Heppler Fetch

Snell MTB Prime

On 10/28/2020 at 4:53 PM, Rory4Pres said:

With occasional practice, your 8 iron-sand wedge would be great options around the green.  Focus on light grip pressure and a super basic swing.  

I played my first round yesterday after deciding to abandon my LW-all-the-time approach around the greens.  Hit two bump and run chips with my 50*, one snuggled up to a tap-in and the other about 5 feet out - got up-and-down on both.  Good start!

Shot 70 (Par 70), with four birdies.  50% GIR, 62% Fairways, 27 putts.  Handicap dropped to 0.7 from 1.0. 

• Like 4

Cobra Radspeed (10)

Cobra F8+ (19)

Cobra Forged Tour (5-PW)

Cobra Black (50, 54)

PING Heppler Fetch

Snell MTB Prime

Play as many tournaments as you can playing the ball down and in (club, local am stuff, etc.). Seek out better players than yourself, observe how they handle themselves in various situations i.e. "get it done", and play them for money that makes you feel uncomfortable even if you are donating. You'd be amazed at how much easier the casual game gets the more you put yourself in high leverage situations. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, PureStrikes54 said:

Play as many tournaments as you can playing the ball down and in (club, local am stuff, etc.). Seek out better players than yourself, observe how they handle themselves in various situations i.e. "get it done", and play them for money that makes you feel uncomfortable even if you are donating. You'd be amazed at how much easier the casual game gets the more you put yourself in high leverage situations. 

Yep, I'll be looking at playing in as much as I can next year.  After playing in just my club championship in 2019, I played in the Ohio Mid-Am and two other local amateur events this year.  TheGrint Tour is coming to Ohio next year (I played in a "preview" event for the tour last month), so I'll probably jump into a few of those events if the courses match up to the quality I see them playing in other states.

Cobra Radspeed (10)

Cobra F8+ (19)

Cobra Forged Tour (5-PW)

Cobra Black (50, 54)

PING Heppler Fetch

Snell MTB Prime

On 10/28/2020 at 12:47 PM, Celebros said:

No debate about improving the short game.  I suppose I picked the two points that I did since they feel like low-hanging fruit given the rest of my game.

Be careful with the short game change of going to more clubs. Nothing at all wrong with it, but it will, almost certainly, be a tough transition. 10 to 20 rounds while you "figure it out." You will be indecisive quite a bit and there will be a lot of second-guessing.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

22 hours ago, PureStrikes54 said:

End of thread ^^^^^

That, more than anything, will take you to + territory. An absolute refusal to keep losing money to guys who you KNOW you can compete with if you only get a bit better here and there. But you need to really pay attention out there. Seems like you have that going for you already, though.

In short, you need to be, simultaneously: relentlessly self-critical AND optimistic and competitive and "can-do," if that makes sense....

31 minutes ago, Obee said:

Be careful with the short game change of going to more clubs. Nothing at all wrong with it, but it will, almost certainly, be a tough transition. 10 to 20 rounds while you "figure it out." You will be indecisive quite a bit and there will be a lot of second-guessing.

It's mostly going to be relevant in situations where I'm short of the green (my usual miss is a toe strike that flies straight but lands short) and the pin is middle or back.  I think my plan will mostly devolve into using my 50 if I have plenty of green to work with and my 58 if not.  In general I'm a decisive player and not prone to agonizing over which club to hit.

• Like 1

Cobra Radspeed (10)

Cobra F8+ (19)

Cobra Forged Tour (5-PW)

Cobra Black (50, 54)

PING Heppler Fetch

Snell MTB Prime

5 hours ago, Celebros said:

Yep, I'll be looking at playing in as much as I can next year.  After playing in just my club championship in 2019, I played in the Ohio Mid-Am and two other local amateur events this year.  TheGrint Tour is coming to Ohio next year (I played in a "preview" event for the tour last month), so I'll probably jump into a few of those events if the courses match up to the quality I see them playing in other states.

Awesome. Sounds like a great plan. We're all rooting for you and do keep us posted on the progress. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Got a few more rounds in before winter hit here in Ohio (looking at snow out my window now).

A combined score of 74 (1.6 diff), a 68 (-1.3 diff), and a 75 (2.1 diff).  My handicap is down to 0.3 from the 1.0 when I started this thread at the end of October. 

Fairways hit were 43%, 46%, and 79% (matching a personal best), so focusing on fairway accuracy is showing some modest results through three rounds (2020 average was 42.4% heading into this thread). 

Haven't had much time to work on chipping with the 50 versus LW all the time, but on the course I have continued to opt for getting the ball on the ground more quickly with the 50 when prudent to better results than I imagined, given my lack of practice with the shot over the years.

Feast or famine with my irons these few rounds.  GIR% were 39%, 56%, and 39%, but putted great and converted more birdies than usual as well as saving pars around the greens.  Putt totals were 26, 27, and 27.

Fun note on my 68, it was my first round ever with two eagles.  The first one was also the closest I've ever come to a double eagle (see picture below), while the second was a chip-in from the fairway about 10 yards short of the green.

Eagle.jpg

• Like 1

Cobra Radspeed (10)

Cobra F8+ (19)

Cobra Forged Tour (5-PW)

Cobra Black (50, 54)

PING Heppler Fetch

Snell MTB Prime

Sounds like we are in a similar spot, I graduated the same year, also looking to get into mid am stuff next year with COVID hopefully going away. 

I think your goals are good, the fairway one especially would translate well to tournament play, regardless of what you see the guys on tour doing these days. One thing I'm really focusing on with the irons is trajectory control, specifically trying to get my ball flight down with the short irons. I think hitting more greens will really help you with scoring, I find most of my good differential rounds have 12-15 greens hit. 

Your thoughts on the short game are interesting, I find myself very 60 centric as well, if anything I would only want to add my 54 in, I just feel when you get into more tournament type conditions you need to play with some spin unless you have tons of confidence with your touch. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Titleist 917F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X (Ai Smoke TD otw)
Titleist T200 3 UB Thump 90-X / TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

4 hours ago, TLUBulldogGolf said:

Your thoughts on the short game are interesting, I find myself very 60 centric as well, if anything I would only want to add my 54 in, I just feel when you get into more tournament type conditions you need to play with some spin unless you have tons of confidence with your touch. 

One situation that came up last round and really highlighted what I'm trying to do chipping-wise:  I was in front of a green, pin was all the way back on a separate/higher tier of the green, about 10 feet beyond the ridge.  If I wanted to hit my 60 in that spot, I would essentially have to fly my shot exactly on the top of the crest in order to get it close (without hitting a big flop shot).  Any shorter and it would wouldn't get up to the top shelf leaving a good 20 feet or more, any longer and it would likely roll past the hole to the fringe/off the green.

I would always have grabbed my 60 in the past, but this time I chose my 50 and landed it well short of the ridge and ran it up onto the top tier.  I didn't hit the most amazing shot in this case (hit it to about 10 feet), but I still feel like there is way more margin for error going that route, particularly once my touch improves.

Edited by Celebros

Cobra Radspeed (10)

Cobra F8+ (19)

Cobra Forged Tour (5-PW)

Cobra Black (50, 54)

PING Heppler Fetch

Snell MTB Prime

Your Par 5 GIR % is odd to me? With your length you should be able to get that higher unless you're playing courses that force you to layup on your second or you're having to punch out or take penalty stokes.

• Like 1

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

On 11/6/2020 at 1:22 PM, Obee said:

End of thread ^^^^^

That, more than anything, will take you to + territory. An absolute refusal to keep losing money to guys who you KNOW you can compete with if you only get a bit better here and there. But you need to really pay attention out there. Seems like you have that going for you already, though.

In short, you need to be, simultaneously: relentlessly self-critical AND optimistic and competitive and "can-do," if that makes sense....

Random tangent but I feel like the last part of this post applies to so much more than golf. Thanks Obee. 

congrats OP on your continual improvement and self analysis. 

• Like 1

50 and 54 are good ideas around the green, work on those

the runner like the long one you describe is far easier with less loft

get better with your driver ... self explanatory.  Develop a go to steer shot on tight 

in my experience, drive it well, be semi proficient with your short irons, back it up with a more rounded short game and you’ll be good 

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

22 hours ago, SNIPERBBB said:

Your Par 5 GIR % is odd to me? With your length you should be able to get that higher unless you're playing courses that force you to layup on your second or you're having to punch out or take penalty stokes.

Yeah, it should definitely be higher.  I really don't have that many penalty strokes, so looking at the numbers and thinking back, I think being blocked from going at the green/having to punch out is the most likely culprit.

Cobra Radspeed (10)

Cobra F8+ (19)

Cobra Forged Tour (5-PW)

Cobra Black (50, 54)

PING Heppler Fetch

Snell MTB Prime

On 10/28/2020 at 12:39 PM, Celebros said:

Hey everyone!  Just wanted to put together somewhat of a summary of my game and my thoughts about what to work on heading into 2021.

I've been a solid player since high school (Class of 2004, age 34 now) - breaking 80 most of the time, but never really playing more than once a month or so for years due to college, work, marriage/young kids, etc.  I finally decided to get back into things more seriously toward the end of 2018 (including tracking my handicap/etc from that point on).  

Between 2018 and July 2019 I tracked between a 3.5 and 4.5 handicap.  New clubs arrived on the scene in spring 2019 (previously I had been playing essentially the same bag I had in high school - Cleveland TA-3s, Steelhead Plus Fairway, r510 driver, etc).  On somewhat of a lark, I decided to enter my club championship in the summer of 2019 to help spur things along as far as getting some good competition.  Well, I ended up winning the thing (three rounds of match play after qualifying).  Shooting even par in the final and winning on the first playoff hole - my best round ever to that point.

I continued my good play through the end of 2019, getting down to a 1.5 handicap.

Going into 2020, my ambitions were high.  I decided to sign up early for the Ohio Public Links Championship (36-holes, originally scheduled in June), but that ended up being cancelled due to COVID.  After the cancellation, I managed to get into the Ohio Mid Am (54-holes, cut after 36), which was to be contested in late August.  My club championship was not contested this year due COVID., so I didn't get a chance to defend my title.

From the spring of this year into mid-July, I played the best golf I have ever played.  I got down to scratch (0.0 exactly) for a few weeks in July.  A combination of kids going back to school, me going back to work, selling our home/buying a new one/moving in August->September led to a bit of a dip in playing time/form heading into he Mid Am, however.  I shot 81-80 and missed the cut at Springfield (OH) Country Club (usually a US Open qualifier site - tough track), but honestly felt that I played some great golf there - as my ballstriking was notably absent both days, but I managed to still put together two reasonable scores while playing amongst some excellent competition (ten under par scores out of 144 players, with the winner lighting it up at -14 across three rounds, winning by seven).  I certainly had some nerves affect my rounds as well, particularly in my chipping game.

Going into 2020, I had NEVER broken par (I even started a thread earlier this year asking if anyone had been a lower handicap without breaking par).  I ended up breaking par five times this year - 69 (Par 71), 67 (Par 71), 70 (Par 71), 69 (Par 72), 70 (Par 71).

Anyway, at the end of October 2020, I sit with a 1.0 handicap.  I feel good about my game, but know I can get better.  I've never had any formal lessons and really don't practice (couple times at the range this year, 2-3 times at the practice green) - if I have time to devote to golf, I typically just go out and play.

I want to change that going into 2021 and specifically work to improve parts of my game.  Here are two things I want to work on for 2021 that I feel will result in the most improvement to my handicap:

1) Hit More Fairways - My fairway accuracy for 2020 thus far is 42.4%.  I'm not a particularly wild player, so a lot of my misses are just off of the fairway, but even so, the data speaks for itself:  My GIR when I hit the fairway has been 76.24%.  My GIR when I miss the fairway drops to 53.25%.  I hit the ball a long way, typically around 300 or more, depending on turf conditions.  I don't need to hit it any farther, but do need to tighten things up.  I'm not a "driver all the time" guy either - I play a lot of fairway woods, 4 irons, etc off the tee as called for.

2) Improve Iron Game/Approach Proximity - GIR by par:  Par 5 - 73.6%, Par 4 - 58.6%, Par 3 - 42.7%.  I hit a lot of greens, but a lot of those greens on Par 4/5s are hit with wedges in my hand.  That Par 3 GIR% in particular feels terrible.  I should be hitting more greens on Par 3s and birdieing more Par 4/5s given how short my approaches usually are into those holes.

Some other stats from 2020:

Putts Per Round - 30.3 (GIR Putts - 1.89/hole, Non-GIR Putts - 1.46/hole)

Scrambling - 53.11% (43.39% Sand Saves)

Feel free to ask me anything about my game or offer any suggestions on what to work on/ways to work on it!  Also, I do want to look into getting lessons - if anyone has recommendations for instructors in the southwest Ohio area, let me know!

Off the cuff I would guess your 3 putt avoidance is not very good and your sand save % is a big hole in your game.

I wouldn't worry about FIR. Bomb it. It sounds like you are not taking penalty strokes, and are in play. Probably not the biggest issue, although your decision making when out of position might benefit from some investigation. Hard to say.

When you get out of play, ideally, you get into a spot where an up-and-down is pretty easy for you. Your scrambling percentage may be taking a hit if you're struggling with that. Your FIR from the fairway is good, so I doubt the problem is ball striking. (Can you move the ball low left and right reliably to get to a non-short sided position near the green? Do you make the right decisions when OOP?)

Have fun, sounds like you've got a great game.

Looks really good. Wouldn't bumping your up and downs to 73% or so put you at a +1 or +2

And just playing more helps. I play twice a week and don't practice and am a +2. But im also not married.

• Haha 2

Ping G425 LST 9.5 AD-DI 6S
SIM TI 19* Ventus Blue 8X

Stealth 2 7 wood (more shafts need testing)
Srixon 585 4 Nippon Modus 3 120S
Srixon 745 5,6 Nippon Modus 3 120S

Srixon 785 7-PW Nippon Modus 3 120S
Titleist SM8 50,54,60 S200
TM Spider X Chalk

20 hours ago, ericg33 said:

Random tangent but I feel like the last part of this post applies to so much more than golf. Thanks Obee. 

congrats OP on your continual improvement and self analysis. 

It does, indeed. I try to get people to understand that if they bring this type of mindset to anything that is important to them, that they can't help but improve. Seeing people employ this at work is ... like watching magic happen.

2 hours ago, golfwb said:

Looks really good. Wouldn't bumping your up and downs to 73% or so put you at a +1 or +2

And just playing more helps. I play twice a week and don't practice and am a +2. But im also not married.

That is a top-5 up and down % on the PGA tour hahaha

• Like 1

Rogue ST Max LS (8.0), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Cobra Aerojet (13.5), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

TSi2 (18), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

U85 (22), X100

i210 (5-UW), X100

T20 (55.09, 60.06), S400

35” Daddy Long Legs

Srixon Z-Star XV