Srixon Z Star Cover Warping from Iron

Hi. I'm new to this forum. 

I bought 2 boxes of 2020 Srixon Z Star Balls.

I noticed when I was hitting my long irons on the course that the balls had a funny flight. So I went home and hit some balls using my monitor and FOUND OUT WHY!

The cover warped when I hit it with my long irons.

Has anyone ever seen this before with a ball? I've been playing for over 20 years and probably hit and lost hundreds if not thousands of balls...LOL...but this is the first time I've EVER seen this happen. 

The warping goes back to normal in about 20-3o seconds. I could see why when you hit the ball on the course...and then reach the ball it's already gone back to normal.

On my net in the garage I was able to capture it before it shot back into it's normal shape. 

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Your ball can stop a lot faster on the green WHEN IT HAS PADDLES

Jesus, you microwave that thing for 5 mins and then hit it? 

Spin skin gone wild 

Posted Images

I've never seen anything like that before. Wow.

I've been a long time ZStar player, but the durability of the ball keeps getting worse. After I'm through with my current stash of balls, I'm done with Srixon. 

Titleist TS3 10.5*
Titleist TS2 15*
Titleist 915 FD 18*
Mizuno MP 18 MMC Fli-Hi 22*
Mizuno MP 18 SC (5-PW)
Mizuno T20 50*, 54*, 58*
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Your ball can stop a lot faster on the green WHEN IT HAS PADDLES

Edited by GBBM
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

RomaRo 435LX 10*-Quadra FEX 65SX 

PRGR Egg HD 14.5*-Fubuki 75S 3W
PRGR EGG 20* - M-43S 7 wood

RomaRo iBrid 2 22* - Crazy Hybrid 

Miura PP9003SN 5-G - Modus 125S 

Miura HB12 @ 55* - Modus 125 W

2015 PM Grind 60* - KBS Tour V

Axis1 Rose - Garsen Quad Tour grip

I would think that there is a near zero percent chance this is happening when you are hitting the ball on the course.  That would cause the ball to not behave strangely, but instead to fly at incredibly odd angles in a chaotic manner while losing massive amounts of distance.

The likely culprit (and I agree that Srixon balls will no longer find there way into my bag until their QC issues are resolved), is the shearing force of impacting into a net while spinning at a high rate.  The friction being exerted onto the ball while contacting a net is far different than the friction the club, air, or a purely stationary object such as a tree or green would.

Once again, I'm not saying this isn't occurring at all, but I am stating that it is essentially impossible that this is occurring while playing on the golf course and is isolated to when you are hitting into a net.  

I hit into the net thousands of times with other balls. Even the Q Star and the Z Star is the only one that has warped. Also you are correct @SPIF. There is erratic flight when the cover warps. I’ve seen it in the air on the course. This only happens with long irons. Usually my 5 or 4. And not with driver for some reason. 

Also, I only hit cheap balls into the net so I don’t waste my premium balls. The only reason I decided to test the Z Star on my net was because of the funny flight pattern I saw on the course. 

Although I can see how it t would be hard to believe that a cover can do that. I’m almost sure it’s the impact of the club and not the impact on the net that’s causing this issue. I have a soft blanket on the impact zone so it cushions the impact. 

Edited by Johnriba1

Spin skin gone wild 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've seen older wound balls become lopsided over time, but never anything like that.  Almost looks like the cover is slipping off the core.  Damn and I just bought two boxes of Zstars too.....

Callaway Rogue Driver 11.5

Callaway Rogue 3 Wood

Callaway Big Bertha V-Series Heavenwood

Callaway Big Bertha 2015 Hybrids (4-8)

Callaway Razr-X Tour 8-9 Irons 

Titleist SM7 46, 50, 54 Wedges

Yes Callie Putter

Pro V1

This happens when the cover doesn’t properly adhere to the mantle layer which causes excessive cover stretching during steep high speed impact. The same happened in 2019 to Costco’s short lived 2nd gen 4 piece Kirkland Performance One ball that they recalled. This seems to be limited to injection molded TPU covers when they try to go too thin.

OP, have these balls always been stored in a consistent environmental conditions (room temp and dry) or did they experience any extreme temp changes? The net would have had no direct impact although balls used in practice situations like that are hit far more repeatedly than on the course.

The product cycle for the 2019 ZStar line should be coming to an end soon so hopefully all of the cover issues are addressed with the 2021 version. 

1 hour ago, storm319 said:

This happens when the cover doesn’t properly adhere to the mantle layer which causes excessive cover stretching during steep high speed impact. The same happened in 2019 to Costco’s short lived 2nd gen 4 piece Kirkland Performance One ball that they recalled. This seems to be limited to injection molded TPU covers when they try to go too thin.

OP, have these balls always been stored in a consistent environmental conditions (room temp and dry) or did they experience any extreme temp changes? The net would have had no direct impact although balls used in practice situations like that are hit far more repeatedly than on the course.

The product cycle for the 2019 ZStar line should be coming to an end soon so hopefully all of the cover issues are addressed with the 2021 version. 

I ordered the second generation Kirkland balls that had the quality problem.  Costco gave me a full refund (without my asking) and let me keep the balls.  It will be interesting to see how Srixon handles this.  I don't know if this is an isolated case or if they had real QC issues but at a certain point it may be a problem.  Z-Star and Q-Star Tour have been reported.  I remember many years ago when I played the Titleist Professional I had one ball in the box that was missing a dimple. Very weird.  I called Titleist and they asked me to send them the ball for inspection.  They mailed me a dozen Professional's.    

6 minutes ago, MMB1500 said:

Why? 

Brand new participant here who registers to make a post revealing a deformed golf ball ?

From regular golf course play I don't believe a ball could look as it does in the photo he posted.

My guess is that the OP has some sort of axe to grind with Cleveland/Srixon and is using and is using an internet discussion forum to try and harm the company..

KZG SP700 driver

Srixon F65 3-wood

Srixon H65 3, 4 hybrids

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

Idk if something this crazy happened to me and I wasn’t a forum member the first thing I’d want to do is sign up on forums and tell people about it. I think a short video of the phenomenon would put this to bed pretty quickly. 

I stocked up on Z Star XV's during the Father's Day BOGO sale.  I love the performance but the cover is pretty disappointing.  I haven't had anything close to what the OP has.  But, typically after one hole of use, the seam of the cover will become visible.  Like a hairline crack going around the ball.  I contacted Srixon and they sent me a dozen saying it must be a batch issue.  Had the same problem with that dozen.  The standard Z Star doesn't seem to do it.  But, the XV is a better performer and the ball I want to play.  Was a great deal at $20/dozen so I just played them until I ran out.  Tossing the problem balls into the shag bag.  

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* HZRDUS Smoke Green "The Hulk" 60 6.5TX
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* Evenflow Black 75 6.5
Callaway X-Forged UT 21* w/Motore Speeder TS 8.8 X
Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW KBS 130X
Taylormade Spider X Navy/White 35"
Callaway MD3 52, 56, 60
All sitting comfortably in my Sun Mountain Sync Cart Bag

3 hours ago, storm319 said:

I stored them in my garage. I’m in southern Cal so it does get hot but I don’t think enough to make the cover come loose. 

1 hour ago, chippa13 said:

Agreed. I smelled something fishy when I saw the post count at 2 upon starting the thread. Just like those marketing threads by the guy with 4 posts who asks about some new, fringe product that they go on to gush about.

I can tell you it’s not false. I can’t make anyone believe me of course. The only reason I posted was because I couldn’t find anything like this on this forum and was curious if anyone else experienced this issue.

I don’t know what else I can say to convey that what I experienced was real. I just don’t want to seem like this is a hoax and that I’m branded a “liar”. 

1 hour ago, radiman said:

I stocked up on Z Star XV's during the Father's Day BOGO sale.  I love the performance but the cover is pretty disappointing.  I haven't had anything close to what the OP has.  But, typically after one hole of use, the seam of the cover will become visible.  Like a hairline crack going around the ball.  I contacted Srixon and they sent me a dozen saying it must be a batch issue.  Had the same problem with that dozen.  The standard Z Star doesn't seem to do it.  But, the XV is a better performer and the ball I want to play.  Was a great deal at $20/dozen so I just played them until I ran out.  Tossing the problem balls into the shag bag.  

There's a whole other thread regarding the hairline cracks on the XV. I've been a long time Srixon player, up until this season, but this isn't a good look for them. 

Edited by MMB1500
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2020 at 7:42 AM, GBBM said:

Idk if something this crazy happened to me and I wasn’t a forum member the first thing I’d want to do is sign up on forums and tell people about it. I think a short video of the phenomenon would put this to bed pretty quickly. 

On 10/29/2020 at 7:15 AM, MMB1500 said:

Why? 

Do you seriously think the ball he shows in the picture would miraculously be back to normal by the time he reached his drive?

Remember his OP?

The warping goes back to normal in about 20-3o seconds. I could see why when you hit the ball on the course...and then reach the ball it's already gone back to normal.”

I call bs on this as well. 

Edited to add...with a little movie magic he could share a video showing this happening, right? I mean it would only need to be 30 seconds long or so.

image.jpeg.90acbe09f136bc6a68a38fe6b6377299.jpeg

Edited by Shilgy

WITB
Tools for the job!