Buying old irons..... and playing them...

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Timeless design......lots of enjoyment playing well with classic oldies!

Buying the Hogan’s was way less risky than buying those Crocs.  What was the thought process there?!?

So I think there are other threads on this but being the club ho I am I was perusing eBay yesterday whilst taking a break from work and stumbled across a set of Hogan FTX in my exact specs. Project X

Posted Images

If you are not worried about the number stamped on the bottom and already play blades of small cb's honeslty I don't know what the difference could be.

I play a small cheap blade that has virtually the same specs of some small cb's I bought 15 years ago, except the iron numbers have changed from 3-p to 4-g.

BTW, I always like Hogan's irons, I just couldn't afford the better forged cb that I always preferred. I once did have Hogan Edges with the Apex 4 shaft for a while but the offset was just too much, plus they were really worn.

• Like 3

Macgregor M-38 9.5, Mondeo 5w, Heater F-35 4h, Acer XV Tour 6i-9i, G, S, Maltby LW, Bionik 105

Very nice find.  All my irons are old from my 1971 Wilson Staff Button Backs to my 2002 Tommy Armour Oversize Plus and everything else in between.  I prefer buying old, used irons because of price (obviously) and iron tech hasn't really changed in decades.  Loft for loft, length for length, shaft for shaft, the iron will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless of when it was made.  None of my irons are any longer than the other but there is a certain level of forgiveness for sure (with my 71' Button Backs being the least forgiving to my 1997 Bertha Golds being the most).

Edited by cgasucks
  • Like 4

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft
1999 Ben Hogan Apex Blades (3-PW) with stock Apex 4 Steel Shafts
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts
Taylormade ATV wedges in 54 and 58 degrees with stock steel shafts
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

Pretty sure I played most of 2016-2017 with circa 1990 Maxfli Revolutions and Aussie blades or some combo of the two. Got sick of chasing the latest and greatest. But then again, I'm pretty casual compared to most here. 

• Like 3

Cobra King Ltd, Speeder TS 6.2
Callaway BBA 816, Accra CS1 80
Adams A12, Diamana Thump
TM TP MC/MB, KBS Tour 
Vokey 254.10, V-Grind 60*, DG S400
Odyssey Tank Cruiser 330M

1 minute ago, Puppetmaster said:

Pretty sure I played most of 2016-2017 with circa 1990 Maxfli Revolutions and Aussie blades or some combo of the two. Got sick of chasing the latest and greatest. But then again, I'm pretty casual compared to most here. 

Very nice set.  I have a set of the Black Dots myself.  Would love to have a set of those Aussie Blades (the ones that are cast out of nickel).

• Like 1

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft
1999 Ben Hogan Apex Blades (3-PW) with stock Apex 4 Steel Shafts
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts
Taylormade ATV wedges in 54 and 58 degrees with stock steel shafts
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

Man I had the Aussie blades with some sort of red graphite shaft back in the mid/late 90’s. What a great set. Those and the Ram Lazer FX’s. Such fond memories ha

• Like 2

Ping G410 LST Ventus Black 6x
Ping G410 LST AD-DI 7x
Ping G410 20* Crossover PX EvenFlow Black 85HY 6.5
Ping iBlade 4-PW PX LZ 6.5
Glide Stealth 2.0 52/56/60 TI S400
Ping Sigma 2 Tyne Steath, Stealth shaft. PP58 Black Cord
ProV1x
Ping Hoofer Multicam

6 minutes ago, cgasucks said:

Very nice set.  I have a set of the Black Dots myself.  Would love to have a set of those Aussie Blades (the ones that are cast out of nickel).

You will love them if you like the Blacks. I feel like you and I come out of the woodwork whenever there is a Maxfli discussion 🙂 

Found it: May 2017 was the Aussie Blades, but I definitely played most of that year with Revolutions, which I've owned brand new since 2000. Sorry, not 1990 lol. 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/381970-puppetmaster-witb-course-pictures/?do=findComment&comment=18554188 

• Like 2

Adams A12, Diamana Thump
TM TP MC/MB, KBS Tour 

2 minutes ago, drvrwdge said:

Man I had the Aussie blades with some sort of red graphite shaft back in the mid/late 90’s. What a great set. Those and the Ram Lazer FX’s. Such fond memories ha

And I remember not being able to hit those Rams worth a damn at the time lol. 

• Haha 1

Adams A12, Diamana Thump
TM TP MC/MB, KBS Tour 

Titleist 962b here, no reason to change, except to another set of same😃

• Like 4

Titleist 910d3 9.5* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Tour Edge Exotics cbx 16.5* Aldila RIP beta 80s 

Titleist 818h1 19* (a2 surefit) Fujikura Motore TS hb 8.8
Titleist 962b 3-pw s400
Vokey sm8 raw S 54* s400
Vokey sm8 raw M 60* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

I blame age for my sets...Tommy Armor 845's...Maxfli Black Dot Revolutions....Titleist 735's & 2007 X-forged that were Korean issue.  Thinking I might part with the X-forged heads, this is the set that I tend to play the least.  All I can say is that I am happy with how these perform for me.  I can rely on the distance of every iron in the set.  By the way, I have two 2 irons that I use with the 3-PW iron sets.  The 2 irons are Ping Eye 2, one is a BeCu head.

Old irons are really all I play.  The newest set that saw time in my bag in 2020 are MP37s.  Several sets of Golden Rams got course time.

New stuff doesn't capture my attention as much as the older stuff.

• Like 4

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 10*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Matrix 8m3 X, 42"
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, NV105 S or DGS400

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft pending); 1-PW Golden Ram TW282 or Vibration Matched Golden Rams, RIP Tour 115 R (coin flipping for the reshaft project); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, DGS400; Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Ram Watson Scoring System 55*, DGX 7i shaft; Ram TG-898, DGS400; Ram TG-898, NV105 S; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS300; Ram 1982 Commemorative Nickel 58*, Dynamic S; Ram TW282, DGS; Ram TW276, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 58*, Dynamic S; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, DGS400; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, NV105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional or TaylorMade TP5

I'm not knocking them but I think it depends on how old you're talking. Lofts aside, many clubs from 25 years ago, or older, didn't have any bounce, had sharp leading edges and flat soles.

That's all cool. Great golf has been played with a lot older. I have a set of 1980 Staffs and 90's Ping Eye 2+. Love em.  But there are things incorporated into new(er) designs that really do help.

Edited by rufus mangler

Titleist 915d2 8.5º (Diamana Red  M+50 Ltd S Flex 45.5")

Titleist 915f 15º (Diamana Blue 70 R Flex 42")

Titleist 910h 24º, 21º (Diamana Blue 80 R Flex)

Srixon 745 5-PW (DG Lite S300)

Vokey Raw Red Saw 09' 50.08, 54.11, 58.12 (DG S200)

SC PP Del Mar 3.5, Cleveland HB 11 Soft, or Acushnet Bulls Eye WFLO.

GP 360 and Lamkin Crossline Blk

I play a lot of golf with 86-90 Tour Models, 4-P (49*.) Lots of Fun. To compliment previous statements about sharp edges, less bounce etc, I think that for me they battle some bad habits that sometimes creep in, mostly ball too far back and steep etc. plus, there really isn’t any faking it with these. 

1A0DBB2E-AF90-47A5-BD88-1E1A1BD457FE.jpeg

B62141A6-5DFA-479A-A172-F1F0C8FB2ADD.jpeg

• Like 4

Titleist 913D2 8.5 Fuji Fuel TS 70X
913 FD 13.5 D+ 82 X
Adams Idea Pro Gold 18*
714 MB/CB PX 6.0 HS
Stainless Newport Beach/Circa 62 No. 2
Titleist 54.08 & Mizzy 60.06

Nothing wrong with living in the past.

I cycle through older sets, I usually don't spend more than $200 on iron sets, and often do not see benefits to "latest and greatest". I'll give new sets a demo spin at the range or shop, but usually just go back to playing the oldies I have at home.

Gaming a beat to death set of 2007 X Forged now, probably the "newest" set I have bought in years..

• Like 2
23 hours ago, weavej1 said:

Buying the Hogan’s was way less risky than buying those Crocs.  What was the thought process there?!?

Jerry Garcia eat your heart out! 

• Haha 1

RomaRo 435LX 10*-Quadra FEX 65SX 

PRGR Egg HD 14.5*-Fubuki 75S 3W
PRGR EGG 20* - M-43S 7 wood

RomaRo iBrid 2 22* - Crazy Hybrid 

Miura PP9003SN 5-G - Modus 125S 

Miura HB12 @ 55* - Modus 125 W

2015 PM Grind 60* - KBS Tour V

Axis1 Rose - Garsen Quad Tour grip

At some point when my swing becomes more disciplined I plan on getting a used set of forged blades probably something from '95 to '05 only I'll use a small cb in place of the 3 iron. I always like how Hogans felt, that would probably be my first choice.

Macgregor M-38 9.5, Mondeo 5w, Heater F-35 4h, Acer XV Tour 6i-9i, G, S, Maltby LW, Bionik 105

On 10/29/2020 at 2:57 PM, weavej1 said:

Honestly I was a “never-crocer” my whole life. Absolutely despised them l, ridiculed those that wore them etc but took a leap of faith and honestly they’re probably the most comfortable thing I’ve ever put on my feet. Ha plus they’re trending 😂😂😂

• Thanks 1

Ping G410 LST Ventus Black 6x
Ping G410 LST AD-DI 7x
Ping G410 20* Crossover PX EvenFlow Black 85HY 6.5
Ping iBlade 4-PW PX LZ 6.5
Glide Stealth 2.0 52/56/60 TI S400
Ping Sigma 2 Tyne Steath, Stealth shaft. PP58 Black Cord
ProV1x
Ping Hoofer Multicam

On 10/28/2020 at 4:48 PM, drvrwdge said:

Wow...Those Ram Lazer FX's....talk about bringing back some great memories (and dating ourselves)!  What a great set of irons.  I kind of started a post like this a few weeks ago.  My point was, in the cb & blade heads, I don't think a lot has changed in a while (of course a little bounce here, a rounded edge there-maybe even some added weight to "help").  I just feel like tech in those types of irons is either maxed out or close to it.  

I currently have a set of J33 combo irons, MP 4's (MP 54-5 iron) and Nike Vapor Pro Combo irons...all are fantastic irons and feel great, with more traditional lofts.  And on the lofts - I don't play golf for a living so I'm not too caught up in distance...I just play the right set of tees.  I don't need to hit a 7 iron 215 yards (would be super cool I'm guessing).   I personally just can't see paying over $1K on a set of irons that are no better than what I already have.  Although, I do love looking!!

Great thread...hit them well everyone!

• Like 1
On 10/28/2020 at 3:14 PM, chipa said:

If you are not worried about the number stamped on the bottom and already play blades of small cb's honeslty I don't know what the difference could be.

Swing speed.  If you swing pretty fast you won't notice any difference at all.  But somebody with an 85 mph driver speed can't gap 4, 5 and 6 irons 4* apart.  They can't hit them with enough spin to get them off the ground enough to gap well.  This is the point of strong lofts.  If you put a 5-6* gap between 9-PW-GW you can replace those degrees in between the 4-5-6 so that slow swing speed players actually have a ten yard gap between their four and five irons (instead of two clubs that hit lines drives a ways then roll forever).  Now, there is some marketing in there too, but the whole "strong lofts are only marketing!" is just as wrong.  For low swing speed players who refuse to play hybrids (I swing my driver 108-111, and I play hybrid through 5 iron, so I have no idea why people swinging 95 are playing forged 4 irons for the "feel" but that is another thread) gapping like this produces consistent distance between irons.

I don't think my 2013/14 j40s are "old" yet (maybe?) but they are the best irons ever made IMO.  Kuchar bags a similar set today, eschewing all of Bridgestone's newer irons.  He also bags a bunch of hybrids, because he has a low swing speed (relatively speaking).

Wilson Triton 10.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 3.3-60s

Taylormade SIM Max D 16* Aldila Tour Green 75x

Bridgestone j40 3-LW x100

Scotty Cameron Big Sur 2

7 hours ago, pinestreetgolf said:

Swing speed.  If you swing pretty fast you won't notice any difference at all.  But somebody with an 85 mph driver speed can't gap 4, 5 and 6 irons 4* apart.  They can't hit them with enough spin to get them off the ground enough to gap well.  This is the point of strong lofts.  If you put a 5-6* gap between 9-PW-GW you can replace those degrees in between the 4-5-6 so that slow swing speed players actually have a ten yard gap between their four and five irons (instead of two clubs that hit lines drives a ways then roll forever).  Now, there is some marketing in there too, but the whole "strong lofts are only marketing!" is just as wrong.  For low swing speed players who refuse to play hybrids (I swing my driver 108-111, and I play hybrid through 5 iron, so I have no idea why people swinging 95 are playing forged 4 irons for the "feel" but that is another thread) gapping like this produces consistent distance between irons.

I don't think my 2013/14 j40s are "old" yet (maybe?) but they are the best irons ever made IMO.  Kuchar bags a similar set today, eschewing all of Bridgestone's newer irons.  He also bags a bunch of hybrids, because he has a low swing speed (relatively speaking).

I actually did some calcs of the yardage distances between standard loft irons and strong ones like cobra with min and max values and the difference was a lot less than many are claiming. At the end of the day a 3 iron and a 5 iron with the same loft will hit the ball more or less the same difference because it is mostly a function of swing speed and loft more than anything.  This is a marketing ploy nothing more started by Callaway and Cobra about 20 years ago and a lot of people still haven't caught on that they are hitting the ball significantly farther with the same lofts and shaft lengths.

19 hours ago, chipa said:

I actually did some calcs of the yardage distances between standard loft irons and strong ones like cobra with min and max values and the difference was a lot less than many are claiming. At the end of the day a 3 iron and a 5 iron with the same loft will hit the ball more or less the same difference because it is mostly a function of swing speed and loft more than anything.  This is a marketing ploy nothing more started by Callaway and Cobra about 20 years ago and a lot of people still haven't caught on that they are hitting the ball significantly farther with the same lofts and shaft lengths.

What do you mean by you "actually did some calcs" ?  What did you calculate?

Scotty Cameron Big Sur 2

14 minutes ago, pinestreetgolf said:

What do you mean by you "actually did some calcs" ?  What did you calculate?

I estimated a range of distance from say the 4 iron to the PW and then calculated a prorated distance differential between each club. If I remember right assuming a standard of 10 yards between club I think I came up with 8 point something difference with the distance irons.

44 minutes ago, chipa said:

I estimated a range of distance from say the 4 iron to the PW and then calculated a prorated distance differential between each club. If I remember right assuming a standard of 10 yards between club I think I came up with 8 point something difference with the distance irons.

What is a prorated distance differential? I'm interested any new information but I'm not sure what you're saying here.

Edited by pinestreetgolf

Scotty Cameron Big Sur 2