Buying old irons..... and playing them...

2 hours ago, pinestreetgolf said:

What is a prorated distance differential? I'm interested any new information but I'm not sure what you're saying here.

All I did was assume a min and max distance for the irons say 65 yards between the P(115) and 4i(180) so the average gapping would be  65/(7-1) = 11 yards on average. Assuming the distance irons need one less iron to cover the distance of 80 yards and the calc would be 65/(6-1) = 13 yards.

Macgregor M-38 9.5, Mondeo 5w, Heater F-35 4h, Acer XV Tour 6i-9i, G, S, Maltby LW, Bionik 105

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Buying the Hogan’s was way less risky than buying those Crocs.  What was the thought process there?!?

Got these in the bag now.  

So I think there are other threads on this but being the club ho I am I was perusing eBay yesterday whilst taking a break from work and stumbled across a set of Hogan FTX in my exact specs. Project X

Posted Images

3 hours ago, chipa said:

All I did was assume a min and max distance for the irons say 65 yards between the P(115) and 4i(180) so the average gapping would be  65/(7-1) = 11 yards on average. Assuming the distance irons need one less iron to cover the distance of 80 yards and the calc would be 65/(6-1) = 13 yards.

Right, but surely you understand that isn't how physics works?  In order for your calculations to matter at all, I'd have to be able to achieve identical impact with the 4i(180) as the P(115) on average.  Nobody hits their 4 iron with the same impact condition as their PW on average.

That is the entire point of strong lofts.  They get stronger as they "go down" so that worse impact conditions produce identical gaps.  If anything your method would advocate *for* strong lofted irons, unless you are going to tell me golfers have identical impact from pitching wedge to four iron.  You don't get identical gaps without identical impact.  Hence, you strengthen the lofts so that the gaps remain the same (11 yards, 13 yards, whatever) even though impact is degrading from less loft and a longer shaft.

This is why some clubs are targeted at better players (who have a more repeatable impacts throughout the set) and some clubs are not.

Edited by pinestreetgolf
  • Like 1

G400 Max 9* 419-TFC Stiff Flex

SIM 15* Ventus Red 6X

Mavrik 4-SW Project X 5.5

PM Grind 64* Dynamic Gold Wedge

Bettinardi QB5

59 minutes ago, pinestreetgolf said:

Right, but surely you understand that isn't how physics works?  In order for your calculations to matter at all, I'd have to be able to achieve identical impact with the 4i(180) as the P(115) on average.  Nobody hits their 4 iron with the same impact condition as their PW on average.

That is the entire point of strong lofts.  They get stronger as they "go down" so that worse impact conditions produce identical gaps.  If anything your method would advocate *for* strong lofted irons, unless you are going to tell me golfers have identical impact from pitching wedge to four iron.  You don't get identical gaps without identical impact.  Hence, you strengthen the lofts so that the gaps remain the same (11 yards, 13 yards, whatever) even though impact is degrading from less loft and a longer shaft.

This is why some clubs are targeted at better players (who have a more repeatable impacts throughout the set) and some clubs are not.

The gapping advantage that distance irons have that I've read people talking about was exactly as I described it - in other words one less iron to cover the same distance. I used a theoretical example but I believe if someone were to compare their real averagae yardages between a distance set and a traditional set they'd find very little gapping advantage. The whole arms race was started to get higher hc'ers into believing that they were picking up distance, which they really aren't when clubs are compaed by length and loft.

Also, forgiveness is another topic.

• Like 1

Macgregor M-38 9.5, Mondeo 5w, Heater F-35 4h, Acer XV Tour 6i-9i, G, S, Maltby LW, Bionik 105

17 hours ago, chipa said:

The gapping advantage that distance irons have that I've read people talking about was exactly as I described it - in other words one less iron to cover the same distance. I used a theoretical example but I believe if someone were to compare their real averagae yardages between a distance set and a traditional set they'd find very little gapping advantage. The whole arms race was started to get higher hc'ers into believing that they were picking up distance, which they really aren't when clubs are compaed by length and loft.

Also, forgiveness is another topic.

loft, yes. Length, no.  The super-loft 7 irons are still 37”.  Of course there is a marketing aspect but for slow players hitting the 37” club further matters.

forgiveness is just maintenance of distance and spin on off-center hits. Two sides of the same coin. Ball speed is always King.

G400 Max 9* 419-TFC Stiff Flex

SIM 15* Ventus Red 6X

Mavrik 4-SW Project X 5.5

PM Grind 64* Dynamic Gold Wedge

Bettinardi QB5

On 11/6/2020 at 5:15 PM, sdandrea said:

Got these in the bag now.

20201105_145655.jpg

20201105_145500.jpg

I remember when those came out (I think in the late 90's) but I couldn't afford them. I have always been a fan of forged cavity backs and blades and remember thinking the combo sets like these were the ultimate compromise of forgiveness and feel. If I'm not mistake the first combo sets sold as such were Wilson Staffs, then maybe Hogan's and later on these - I could be wrong. Of course guys who had money could be complete cb and blade sets and mix and match them. I got a set of combo Snake Eyes cb/blades in 2005 for $100 but never put them into play because they were light and short and had the wrong shafts which I didn't feel like they were worth changing.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Florida Gator said:

Looks like the Hogan’s have the original satin PX6.5 shafts, best feeling steel iron shaft I’ve ever played.

Think I'm going to be listing them on the BST if you're interested ha. 

• Haha 1

Ping G410 LST Ventus Black 6x (TSi3 incoming)
Ping G410 14.5 Ventus Blue 7x
Ping G410 19H Tensei Blue TX
TBD

Cleveland Zipcore 52MID/56LOW/60MID

Ping Sigma 2 Tyne Steath, Stealth shaft. PP58 Black Cord
Snell MTB-X
Jones Trouper 2.0

On 10/28/2020 at 9:20 PM, NRJyzr said:

Old irons are really all I play.  The newest set that saw time in my bag in 2020 are MP37s.  Several sets of Golden Rams got course time.

New stuff doesn't capture my attention as much as the older stuff.

This!  I have so much fun with the old stuff I couldn't afford at the time that I don't dabble with the new stuff much. Unless, of course, someone wanted to drop a set of those Nicklaus Miura blades on me!  🙂

• Like 1

Epic 10.5*
Epic 17*

Ping Eye2 BeCu 2-SW, ZZ65 w/Cushin

Ping Zing2 BeCu Putter

Not as old as some of the irons the rest of you have posted about... but I added a sweet set of Mizuno MP-32s off of BST earlier this year.  Have taken them out on the course a few times already.  Flushing one of these irons is addicting...

Also have my original (mid-90s) set of Tommy Armour 855s still in the garage. They don't get as much play, maybe once a year, but I could still game them if I had to.

• Like 1

I just bought an Adams CMB GW head on here to complete my CMB set (from 6-GW)... I love them... Great clubs. 

As of 6/5/20

9.5 Cobra LTD Pro with Aldila Silver 110

13 Degree Adams Speedline with Aldila Alpha 

18 Degree Adams A12 with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5 iron Sub70 639 CB with S400

6-PW Adams CMB with Project X 6.0

50, 54, 60 Vokeys

Tank Counter Balance #7 

I am considering putting a set of Titleist 962Bs into play.  I gamed a set of 962Bs from 1997 to about 2000 and came to regret selling them.  I just picked up a full set and will reshaft them with my current shaft.  The lofts are a bit weaker than current day irons (2 degrees) so I can adjust them to match and still have bounce left in the irons (no iron will go to negative bounce).  It is pretty much Winter and down time so experimentation begins.

• Like 2
TaylorMade M3 440cc 9.5* driver, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S
TaylorMade M4 15* (small), Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S
TaylorMade SLDR 2I Hybrid, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8S
Ben Hogan Icon 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff
Scratch Golf 50* GW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff
Scratch Golf 54* SW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff
Scratch Golf 58* LW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff
Byron Morgan custom Epic Day putter

14 hours ago, RobotDoctor said:

I am considering putting a set of Titleist 962Bs into play.  I gamed a set of 962Bs from 1997 to about 2000 and came to regret selling them.  I just picked up a full set and will reshaft them with my current shaft.  The lofts are a bit weaker than current day irons (2 degrees) so I can adjust them to match and still have bounce left in the irons (no iron will go to negative bounce).  It is pretty much Winter and down time so experimentation begins.

What shafts are you going to put in them?

6 hours ago, jplroper said:

What shafts are you going to put in them?

Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff shafts, my standard gamer shafts.  I had DS S300 in the original set of 692Bs I owned back in the late 90s.  I am 20 years older now and prefer a little softer shaft but still want and need stiff.

TaylorMade M3 440cc 9.5* driver, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S
TaylorMade M4 15* (small), Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S
TaylorMade SLDR 2I Hybrid, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8S
Ben Hogan Icon 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff
Scratch Golf 50* GW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff
Scratch Golf 54* SW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff
Scratch Golf 58* LW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff
Byron Morgan custom Epic Day putter

I doubt I’ll ever get rid of my Hogan FTX set. I pull them out for a couple rounds every year. Good swings remind me why I can’t sell them...bad swings remind me why I can’t play them. 

• Like 3

Callaway Epic Flash 12.0, 5.5 Evenflow green
Taylormade M2 2017 HL 16.5 w/GD Tour AD DI stiff
TEE e8 22 & 25 hybrids/Recoil 460 F3

Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro's 5-PW/Nippon Modus 105
Snake Eyes 52 gap Rifle 5.0
Corey Paul forged 56 sand Rifle 5.0

TP Mills Sycamore
Spaulding TPM VIII
MannKrafted MA/99

Actually just put a set of 588 CB's in the bag and will play them today. Really wanted a combo set but these were too good of a deal to pass up. Plus I wanted to try a slightly softer shaft in my irons. Trackman numbers off mat were very good but we'll  see where the spin numbers go once on turf

3991B41D-E36A-4899-8EE9-935869D4A8AE.jpeg

Edited by drvrwdge

Ping G410 LST Ventus Black 6x (TSi3 incoming)
Ping G410 14.5 Ventus Blue 7x
Ping G410 19H Tensei Blue TX
TBD

Cleveland Zipcore 52MID/56LOW/60MID

Ping Sigma 2 Tyne Steath, Stealth shaft. PP58 Black Cord
Snell MTB-X
Jones Trouper 2.0

I have played some of my best golf with MP14s. They inevitably get time in my bag as my gamers every season. This year, however, it was a set of MP32s that get the title of bag MVP!

I was playing really poorly earlier this year. My iron game was a wreck. Cycled through iron sets looking for an answer, and ultimately put in play a set of 32s with regular flex DG shafts (coming from x-stiff Modus). Those Mizunos changed everything. Granted, it was mainly the shaft change that brought me back to good play, but I shot my lowest rounds of the year with a 15 year old set of irons. 

Im dabbling with the idea of getting them refinished. They are classics for a reason, and I would suggest that there are many other “classics” that would hold up perfectly well in the bag today. 

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...
On 12/10/2020 at 5:14 PM, willie991 said:

This photo is from some time ago.  Still have the BeCu's.  They see the course a few times during the year.  Also have a set of Eye 2 stainless, circa 1985, which are played a lot.  

2011-01-12 003.JPG

Put the BeCu irons in the bag this week.  Been unseasonably warm, here.  Well, yesterday, the 7-iron got me the third hole-in-one I've had.  I love these irons!  If I weren't so fearful of leaving one of the wedges laying on the course... or someone lifting one out of the bag... I'd play them all the time.  

• Like 3
On 10/28/2020 at 3:03 PM, drvrwdge said:

So I think there are other threads on this but being the club ho I am I was perusing eBay yesterday whilst taking a break from work and stumbled across a set of Hogan FTX in my exact specs. Project X Satin 6.5’s and .75” over standard length. I made a half whited low ball offer and the guy accepted. So fast forward the irons came today and they are absolutely beautiful! So being it’s the “off season” and I was waiting on the new Ping irons to be released I think I’m going to play the Hogans in my winter events. Anyone else gaming old irons on purpose? In this category I really don’t feel like I’m losing too much on the technology front and the feel is second to none. Thoughts??

E448806E-16DF-4481-A790-69A7ACAE3058.jpeg

0D3F7337-CDFE-4740-BD87-6CAB891D52D6.jpeg

C3CF66AD-2444-46F7-A687-D98725F07491.jpeg

Those are the REAL Royal Precision Peoject X.  Good call.  I just snagged a set of Ram FX Toue Grind blades n VGC for under $100 bucks.

I plan on restarting to my specs and adjusting lies and gaming them from time to time.

• Like 1

I just bought a used set of 2009 TourStage X-Blade 701 CBs to alternate with my 2006 Bridgestone J33 CBs.  Tried a lot of the new stuff last year but did nothing for my game.  IMO, these irons are as good as the new forged CBs.

IMG_0625.jpg

IMG_0626.jpg

Edited by theothertwo
changes
  • Like 3

Driver - Honma TW 747 455 10.5*

4 Wood - Tour Edge Exotics EX9 Tour 17*  

Hybrid - Honma TW 727 UT 22*

Irons - Bridgestone J33 CB 4-PW

Wedges - Miura Tour 52* and 58*

Putter - Slighter Seattle Prototype

1 hour ago, OsnolaKinnard said:

Those are the REAL Royal Precision Project X.  Good call.  I just snagged a set of Ram FX Toue Grind blades n VGC for under $100 bucks.

I plan on restarting to my specs and adjusting lies and gaming them from time to time.

Yeah.  I've been told that the pre-True Temper Project X is generally better than the present day versions by my clubmaker.  From what I understand, even though True Temper bought the patents and trademarks to those shafts, they made them using their own machines instead of the existing ones from Royal Precision.  Because of that, those shafts just didn't feel the same ever since.

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft
1999 Ben Hogan Apex Blades (3-PW) with stock Apex 4 Steel Shafts
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts
Taylormade ATV wedges in 54 and 58 degrees with stock steel shafts
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

35 minutes ago, cgasucks said:

Yeah.  I've been told that the pre-True Temper Project X is generally better than the present day versions by my clubmaker.  From what I understand, even though True Temper bought the patents and trademarks to those shafts, they made them using their own machines instead of the existing ones from Royal Precision.  Because of that, those shafts just didn't feel the same ever since.

I dimly remember hearing of tip bending issues with the original PX shafts.  Am I remembering correctly, or mixing and matching my memories a bit?

Considering Kim Braly's preferences on tip reinforcement, it sounds reasonable, but not positive on the memory.  And, it could account for some of the RP vs TT difference.

I had a set of the originals back in the day, they definitely felt different than the set I've got in one of my Mizuno sets now.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 10*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Matrix 8m3 X, 42"
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, NV105 S or DGS400

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft pending); 1-PW Golden Ram TW282 or Vibration Matched Golden Rams, RIP Tour 115 R (coin flipping for the reshaft project); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, DGS400; Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Ram Watson Scoring System 55*, DGX 7i shaft; Ram TG-898, DGS400; Ram TG-898, NV105 S; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS300; Ram 1982 Commemorative Nickel 58*, Dynamic S; Ram TW282, DGS; Ram TW276, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 58*, Dynamic S; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, DGS400; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, NV105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional or TaylorMade TP5

I just started a thread about buying up sets of Nike VRS forged irons which have been discontinued for about 8 years.  They’re not as long as my PXG 2011s but I just live the look and feel of the Nikes. They’re relatively cheap but getting harder to find in excellent condition so I keep looking.

Taylormade SIM MAX driver 10.5 Ventus R
Taylormade SIM MAX 3w 15 Ventus R
Taylormade SIM MAX 5w 18 Ventus R
Taylormade SIM MAX 4h 22 Ventus R
PXG 0211 5-LW
Taylormade Spider X Chalk
OUUL Gator cart bag