Trying to understand my driver Trackman numbers better...

I have been gaming a Titleist 915D2, 10.5* head at C1 setting.  I'm left-handed so the head should be a slightly open, 12* driver. 

One of the more consistent part of my numbers is my AoA, which I have worked on for a while to get to an average of 2-3 up.  One thing to note that doesn't show in the data is my strike pattern is all over the place, I'm sure you could probably tell that by how far in-to-out my path is.  I'm well aware of this and it's the main thing I focus on in practice these days.  I hit very few shots in the center of the face,  I could miss low, high or on the toe on any given shot. 

Despite that, what I don't understand at all is why my launch angle is so low.  With my driver set at 12*, even if I hit it low on the face that should be about 10* give or take.  With an AoA of 3* + 10* loft, shouldn't I be getting a higher launch angle than 11*?  

I'm sure I could be missing something totally obvious, so please excuse if this is a stupid question, this is still a learning process for me! Thanks in advance for the help

trackman.png.176645a829da634d43b2fd83c4186a9c.png

image.png.23545c691951c9d39985bf6fb777aabf.png

Edited by r2edline
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Titleist Surefit has a different diagram for left-handed equipment.  Make sure you are making the distinction.

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, pinhigh27 said:

You’re probably not hitting it low on the face often and averaging sub 2k spin. Are you sure the adapter setting is correct? More dynamic loft would raise launch and spin, which is what you need. Ball is falling out of sky. 70 height is pretty low . 

Totally agreed.  Ball flight is too low with not enough spin, they're little nucklers that just fall out of the sky. 

I just double checked my adapter, I had the same thought as you, it is C1. The driver looks open to me but no idea if I can check the loft somehow. 

I have a funny feeling the surefit adapter might be an aftermarket one and not an OEM, and that maybe the settings are fked up for left handed, or something else is just wrong here. 

5 minutes ago, r2edline said:

Indoor trackman session, premium Srixon balls, I think they are Z-Star practice balls

Were there stickers on the ball? I only ask because for the one highlighted shot, it looks like spin is being approximated. If spin is being approximated, the environment might not be the best and thus the numbers could be off. Do you normally hit low knucklers on the course?

Titleist Surefit has a different diagram for left-handed equipment.  Make sure you are making the distinction.

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5° Graphite Design YS-6+stiff

Wood:  Titleist 980F 17° Aldila NV stiff

Hybrid: Titleist 909H 21° Aldila Voodoo stiff 

Irons:  Titleist 716 AP2 4- W  DG AMT S300

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7  54°,  58° DG S200

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot #1 Tour

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

7 minutes ago, Old Tom Morris said:

That was my first thought. Right hand adapter and you were lofting down. No way the spin would be that low on a low strike with as 12 degree driver. Playing this think at 9 degrees. 

PING G410+ 9* TPO 60S

Adams XTD 17* Fubuki 

Callaway Apex 20* AD DI 85s

Callaway Apex 23* OBAN Kiyoshi Purple

5-6 Srixon Z585 Modus 120S

7-PW Srixon Z785 Modus 120S

50 Cleveland RTX 4

56 and 60, TM Hi Toe

EVNROLL ER3

Making sense of trackman numbers....I would think spin is a bit low for the speed on many of the hits. And you vary from 40 yards left of center to 43 yards right.

I am not qualified to give you swing tips based on these numbers.

listen to what Monte says!

WITB
Tools for the job!

Assuming you see the same low knuckle balls on the course then this is a delivery and/or setup issue more than an equipment issue. I'd guess you have the ball too far back in your stance and are hitting up on it by dragging the handle (forward shaft lean) and not releasing the club properly.

You seem to have good speed and a relatively consistent strike (smash factor) so I'd bet you can figure this out pretty easily with a little experimenting. There is no guarantee all of these suggestions will work and some of them go against normal swing ideas but I'm sure some combination of them will help you.

Things to try:

1) Move the ball way up in your stance but don't raise the tee height. (You might top it at first but you will figure out how to release the club into the ball properly with practice.)

2) Weaken your grip a lot. (You will miss way right at first but you will figure out how to hit it straight and should see higher ball flight and spin with time.)

3) Keep your weight on your trail leg longer. (Think keeping your heel down until after impact.)

4) Level your shoulders and instead of trying to hit up on the ball hit through the ball.

5) Release the club earlier and swing aggressively instead of trying to hold it square. (This will feel like you are casting and flipping but you won't be.)

Again, experiment and try them in combination and with varying levels of exaggeration and I'm sure you can find the ball flight you want.

Good luck and enjoy the process!

12 hours ago, mgoblue83 said:

Assuming you see the same low knuckle balls on the course then this is a delivery and/or setup issue more than an equipment issue. I'd guess you have the ball too far back in your stance and are hitting up on it by dragging the handle (forward shaft lean) and not releasing the club properly.

Thank you all for your feedback, yes my ball flight is the same indoors and out.  I played around with the surefit adapter at the range yesterday, I believe it is fine and on the correct setting.  I also happened to go to Golftown and hit some other drivers and definitely agree this is some kind of delivery/setup issue.   Shaft lean does sounds like the likely culprit.  

In my most recent success with my driver, I played the ball really high on the tee and moved it more forward in my stance than what would be considered.  Been trying to go back to a more neutral/traditional setup to regain some balance in my swing and not overswing but obviously that's creating more issues. 

I will get to practicing. Thanks all!

On 10/28/2020 at 9:44 PM, mgoblue83 said:

You seem to have good speed and a relatively consistent strike (smash factor) so I'd bet you can figure this out pretty easily with a little experimenting. There is no guarantee all of these suggestions will work and some of them go against normal swing ideas but I'm sure some combination of them will help you.

Things to try:

1) Move the ball way up in your stance but don't raise the tee height. (You might top it at first but you will figure out how to release the club into the ball properly with practice.)

2) Weaken your grip a lot. (You will miss way right at first but you will figure out how to hit it straight and should see higher ball flight and spin with time.)

3) Keep your weight on your trail leg longer. (Think keeping your heel down until after impact.)

4) Level your shoulders and instead of trying to hit up on the ball hit through the ball.

5) Release the club earlier and swing aggressively instead of trying to hold it square. (This will feel like you are casting and flipping but you won't be.)

Again, experiment and try them in combination and with varying levels of exaggeration and I'm sure you can find the ball flight you want.

Good luck and enjoy the process!

or don't change your swing at all and just get a degree more of loft and the numbers will be good.

go bucks